'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 261 of 299
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX 

What you're referring to is the internal name that is referring to the SoC. That is a single component of the entire device that refers to something very specific for the CPU architecture and does not mean the device as a whole isn't the next generation iPhone.

It's the model identifier, same with the Macs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4132

It has nothing to do with the CPU architecture.

Nevertheless - with the iPhone (and the iPad) the identifier has correlated exactly with the CPU, and nothing else. That seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

• Reply 262 of 299

I'm thinking they are going to call it The New iPhone. Besides that, they have the 5 to get us excited.

• Reply 263 of 299

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

With the iPad name they will probably only sell two at the same time..the current generation and the previous generation. So they can get away with the old generation being just "iPad" and going with "The new iPad" for the new generation. With the phones they're selling multiple iterations at a time so it's a little trickier.

"Probably"? We can't say ANYTHING about the iPad yet. I'm personally assuming they'll keep three models around, just like they do the iPhone. That would eliminate the need for a smaller… iP…

THE IPAD MINI RUMORS WE'VE BEEN SEEING ARE THE DESIGN OF THE NEW IPOD TOUCH. That explains the lack of side bezels! The rumor mill just has the dimensions wrong!

… anyway, keeping around three generations (yes. generations.) of iPad removes the iPad mini from the bill, because with the iPad 2 (and then 3, 4, etc.) at $299, what place is there in the market for any of their competitors, much less a smaller iPad proper?

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Has anyone bothered to notice that Sept. 12 falls on a Wednesday? Traditionally, Apple likes to announce new products on Tuesdays, yes? (No, really!) Discuss.

Steve's dead. Keynotes are on Wednesdays now.

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I think Apple should make it clear.  If you put a big "4" on the box, it is simple to know the associate is handing you the right or wrong iPad.

It's also ugly (meaning just anti-Apple).

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's inarguable that each YoY revision is a new generation of the iPhone from the customer's PoV.

And yet dozens of people here will actually argue against that if you press them…

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That seems unlikely to me. The A5X appears to have been named because it's the A5 with 2x (note the X) the GPU cores and RAM specifically to drive the display of the new iPad. I don't see why that is needed for a marginal gain in the number of pixels that is still well below the original iPad's pixels. Even if you consider the die shrink the power draw appears to me to be too high for this for design.

I hope you're right. Maybe we'll see a non-photoshopped leak of a real PCB before the launch to confirm…

• Reply 264 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Based on.

Because I'm not seeing the logic that negates this as the sixth gen iPhone

I bet Apple doesn't fret over what generation this is. It will simply be the phone being sold in the next 12 months, while they are working on the next two models.

• Reply 265 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve's dead. Keynotes are on Wednesdays now.

Isn't really about avoiding Sept 11?

• Reply 266 of 299

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Isn't really about avoiding Sept 11?

Kids' movies are released on September 11. Films come out in the theater. Books in stores. There's no avoidance anymore.

• Reply 267 of 299
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    muppetry wrote:
    with the iPhone (and the iPad) the identifier has correlated exactly with the CPU, and nothing else. That seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

The 4S had model iPhone4,1 and an A5 chip.

I found a couple of new iPhone vids, I'm not sure if they've been posted already:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

The fingerprint scanner looks neat. Apple did buy Authentec so that might be a feature. Sure beats typing in a passcode but the home button might not be big enough.
  • Reply 268 of 299

From those movies, I just realized how much of the keynote will be talking about the Dock Connector 2… and even the nanoSIM will be getting a shout out, won't it? 

While Apple would never put them in a movie like that, I liked those animated icons. I think I'd like to see icons that could be displaying real-time information do. Like Weather. Calendar has shown the current date since iPhone OS 1; why hasn't Weather shown the current weather in the leftmost city?

• Reply 269 of 299
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry 

with the iPhone (and the iPad) the identifier has correlated exactly with the CPU, and nothing else. That seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

The 4S had model iPhone4,1 and an A5 chip.

Are you disagreeing?

iPhone

CPU

Code

3G

3GS

A4

3,1 / 3,3

4S

A5

• Reply 270 of 299

Quote:

Sometimes getting straight to the point is all that's needed - a teaser just has to say what and when and that's what we got.

Generally but that wasn't entirely the case with the first two. They have the same main model numbers. The original iPhone and 3G are numbered iPhone1,1 and iPhone1,2. That's why the next one will be iPhone5,1. Again they don't have to match up to the marketing label but this is the 5th generation, 3GS was 2nd, 4 was 3rd, 4S was 4th, this one is 5th. It will likely have an A5X chip and all the devices regardless of model number will start shipping with iOS 6.

"The new iPhone" will probably please everybody but I don't think they will put it on the packaging. The latest iPad was just called iPad on the box, not 'The new iPad' and for obvious reasons. A store can't have two different models with 'The new iPhone/iPad' on the box.

I reckon the box should just say iPhone if it is to be marketed as "The new iPhone" and iPhone 5 in both cases otherwise.

So why is the 3rd generation iPhone called iPhone 4? Just because?

• Reply 271 of 299

Quote:

Kids' movies are released on September 11. Films come out in the theater. Books in stores. There's no avoidance anymore.

How can you know/prove that there is no avoidance anymore? Anyway, all we can do is speculate as Tim Cook ain't gonna to say "and this is why we chose to show you a new phone on Wednesday"

• Reply 272 of 299

Quote:

I bet Apple doesn't fret over what generation this is. It will simply be the phone being sold in the next 12 months, while they are working on the next two models.

The company that brags about how pretty their computers are from the inside should fret about such.

• Reply 273 of 299

How can you know/prove that there is no avoidance anymore?

Look around.

They do Wednesday releases because they no longer do Tuesday releases. They did Tuesday releases because Monday releases makes reporters take flights on a Sunday, and it's inconsiderate to cut into weekends.

• Reply 274 of 299
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's the model identifier, same with the Macs:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4132
    It has nothing to do with the CPU architecture.

The difference is that Macs are almost always (if not always) updated because there is a dramatic change in the CPU. As previously noted the first and second generation iPhones had the same basic CPU architecture but pretty much every other major aspect was different, hence HW label referencing the HW architecture was 1,2 instead of 2,1.
  • Reply 275 of 299
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    muppetry wrote:
    Are you disagreeing?

I thought we were talking about the actual numbering of internal components matching the identifier (e.g iPhone6/A6) not that it only changed with a CPU change. I suppose the main id number could change based on whether the CPU changes but that doesn't happen with the Macs e.g the same MBP with a different CPU has the same main model id. It could differ for iOS devices though.
    slang4art wrote:
    So why is the 3rd generation iPhone called iPhone 4? Just because?

This sort of thing was covered ad nauseum in the other thread but if you look at it the other way round, the 5th generation is called the 4S, which doesn't match up either.

We're on the 5th processor, 4th design, 6th OS and none of that means anything about what it's called.

The conclusion I'm sticking with is:
    The new iPhone - possible
    iPhone 5 - possible
    iPhone 6 - no, completely nonsensical

Obviously people are rattling off the same reasons why iPhone 6 does make sense and iPhone 5 doesn't but the event is only a week away and they already planted a giant number 5 on the teaser so whatever you do say now can and will be used against you in the launch event thread.

If an iPhone 5 is launched, I expect we'll hear why Apple is wrong and it wouldn't have happened if Steve was running the company.
  • Reply 276 of 299
    The shadow of 12 is 5, so:

12+5 = 17; 1+7 = 8
    1+2+5 = 8

It'll be called iPhone 8. Why not? 8 major features, the same 8 megapixels, 8mm depth, 8 is like ? infinite loop, 8 types of conectivity (wifi,edge,3g,4g,bluetooth,UMTS,HSDPA,HSUPA), 8 is a common divider of the device capacity (8, 16, 32, 64 GB's), the same 8 hours of talk time on 3g, 8 sensors (4 new), 8 is double of 4 so is twice as good as the 4S...

Hehehehe….
  • Reply 277 of 299

Quote:

Or that they're doing what they've done twice in the past and are giving it the iPad's processor from earlier in the year. "A6" would've been great, but the past two models have been that year's iPad's chip.

THAT'S what it was! I couldn't for the life of me remember. Thanks for that.

And sure! Nothing wrong with people doing that to me if they do decide to call it a name it isn't, but I'm not going to be apologizing for knowing how to count.

Android trolls exist, but we have here The iPhone 5 Name Troll, himself. Just sayin'.

Don't thank me, I'm useless.

• Reply 278 of 299

Quote:

I thought we were talking about the actual numbering of internal components matching the identifier (e.g iPhone6/A6) not that it only changed with a CPU change. I suppose the main id number could change based on whether the CPU changes but that doesn't happen with the Macs e.g the same MBP with a different CPU has the same main model id. It could differ for iOS devices though.

This sort of thing was covered ad nauseum in the other thread but if you look at it the other way round, the 5th generation is called the 4S, which doesn't match up either.

We're on the 5th processor, 4th design, 6th OS and none of that means anything about what it's called.

The conclusion I'm sticking with is:

The new iPhone - possible

iPhone 5 - possible

iPhone 6 - no, completely nonsensical

Obviously people are rattling off the same reasons why iPhone 6 does make sense and iPhone 5 doesn't but the event is only a week away and they already planted a giant number 5 on the teaser so whatever you do say now can and will be used against you in the launch event thread.

If an iPhone 5 is launched, I expect we'll hear why Apple is wrong and it wouldn't have happened if Steve was running the company.

Also, we don't care if they call it the iPhone 69, as long as it's insanely great. Would be happy if it came with a blonde, though.

• Reply 279 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Based on.

Because I'm not seeing the logic that negates this as the sixth gen iPhone

That's because a logical conclusion can't be drawn from such a statement.

• Reply 280 of 299

Quote:

I don't care about the other thread. I asked you a simple and direct question.

If your logic is that iPhone and iPhone 3G are the same generation, why is iPhone 4 called iPhone 4? Further, since you've obfuscated things a little more, why would naming the 4th generation iPhone "iPhone 4" somehow prohibit Apple from calling the 5th generation iPhone, "iPhone 4S"? After all, they did this with their 3rd generation iPhone "iPhone 3GS". If it worked in that instance, why not here?

If Apple named the fourth generation iPhone "iPhone 4" based on its A4 chip, calling it iPhone 5 halfway makes sense, though it is a bit sloppy since iPhone 4S has an Apple A5 as well.

This thread is a perfect summation as to why iPhone 5 is a bad name, and why "the new iPhone" is the smartest way to market it.