'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 161 of 299
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Why? Come the frick off it.

Mmm, let's see...

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5084/1346789940195.png

You, who are supposed to be a moderator, and some of your friends, have been trolling and insulting all those who didn't think like you. And you were wrong. I'm not going to refrain to remind it to you now, oh no, because you deserve it. And knowing your character I'm not at all surprised that you won't admit that you were mistaken. You're like a child.

Oh wait, if I hadn't totally lost it (as you said), that means, that means that you had lost it.
    You are not the only one who can use his brain, and others can be as clever or cleverer than you, apparently.

I'm sure that you are going to say that it still doesn't make sense to you, but that precisely the point, it did make sense to others, and the point of the discussion that we were trying to have was that it felt logical. Too bad we couldn't talk because of your disruptions.
  • Reply 162 of 299
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Apple has a difficult decision to make...

Continue with the same 4" to the next iPhones or to go for a larger screen...

I think they will keep it the same as the soon to be released model for probably at least one more version but in any case it will not look anything like the image you have provided.

• Reply 163 of 299

Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Apple has a difficult decision to make...

Continue with the same 4" to the next iPhones or to go for a larger screen...

"APPLE IS A COPIER LG DID IT FIRST! WHAT ARE YOU GONNA SUE LG NOW, APPLE? INNOVATE DON'T LITIGATE!"

"Oh, and here come the iSheeps with their arguments. Apple only has… seven rows of apps there while the LG has eight, so they're "innovating"… right, ri~ght…" image

• Reply 164 of 299
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd prefer the liquidmetal iPhone.

Mmmm.... YEAH - that's got a real ring to it! ;-)

• Reply 165 of 299
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crunch wrote: »
    Why even deal with these idiots. I doubt many of them even know what schadenfreude means. haha

I'm pretty sure it's a type cheese spread that you secretly wish to engage in coitus with.
  • Reply 166 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

If that is the case then I think people far too readily feel belittled. I enjoyed TS's rants about the name, although I do have to admit that I also agreed with his logic.

Mostly I agree. He did go pretty much right over the edge with a cherry on top a couple of times though.  People are easily offended nowadays for sure, but he did actually belittle and insult a lot of people for no good reason.  

For example, I've been posting here for many years off and on, and even though I've never been banned outright I've been warned many times and suspended I think twice for a short period of "reflection."  He has said and done things far worse than I ever have and gotten away scott free however just because he's a moderator.  I think that this is what people find so annoying.  The fact that there is one set of rules for us, and another for him.  

I find most of his posts reasonable and I agree with 99% of what he says, but if it's not okay for me to "make an argument personal," then it isn't okay for him either.  

I would actually be in favour of looser rules all around and making it permissible for us to "get personal" a bit or once in a while without someone immediately jumping up and crying "ad hominem attack!" (as if that actually meant anything), or being immediately banned as if we were in high school debate class.  Until that day however, having the two sets of rules (or two classes of people if you want to look at it that way), is not exactly a good thing.    

• Reply 167 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

... This is the 6th generation iPhone, no matter how you want to twist it.

And may I remind all of you, last year around this time everyone was calling the 4S the iPhone 5 prior to its announcement. So... which is right? You can't have it both ways. This isn't the fifth iPhone. ...

Unless we use zero based indexing:

0 = (Original) iPhone

1 = iPhone 3G

2 = iPhone 3GS

3 = iPhone 4

4 = iPhone 4S

5 = iPhone 5

• Reply 168 of 299

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm pretty sure it's a type cheese spread that you secretly wish to engage in coitus with.

I tried to figure out what word you were jokingly replacing with schadenfreude, but then I thought better of it… 

• Reply 169 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Apple discovered the fifth element !

If so, I want her wrapped in bandages and sent to me overnight. Siri is being renamed Laloo...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

As Global Moderator perhaps he sees it as his role to be provocative?

An interesting and good role, he just needs to not get all butthurt when people razz him in return.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

The reason I am not, is due to the fact that both times I placed my iPhone in my shirt pocket upside down (to protect the earphone jack because it was starting to rain), the iPhone turned off, and went into some hardware diagnostic mode which took a great deal of effort to get the iPhone to be re-booted.  Unless that will not happen with the new iPhone. (Whatever they call it)...... 

Static electricity can do weird things to any device. Could this have been happening during a hot dry spell or during the winter??

I'm hoping the FIVE means five new products. Other then the hint about "something's in the air," a few years back, I don't recall Apple ever using a product name as the invitation clue.

• Reply 170 of 299
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good ol' schadenfreude! 

Aowww...  But are you honestly surprised. You come across as someone who takes pleasure in denigrating and belittling. 

• Reply 171 of 299
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Mostly I agree. He did go pretty much right over the edge with a cherry on top a couple of times though.  People are easily offended nowadays for sure, but he did actually belittle and insult a lot of people for no good reason. ... 

... The fact that there is one set of rules for us, and another for him.    

... Until that day however, having the two sets of rules (or two classes of people if you want to look at it that way), is not exactly a good thing.    

All the other moderators are level headed, respectful and, well, moderator-like who almost never anger anyone. Unfortunately, TS is more of a menace than a moderator.

• Reply 172 of 299
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Mostly I agree. He did go pretty much right over the edge with a cherry on top a couple of times though.  People are easily offended nowadays for sure, but he did actually belittle and insult a lot of people for no good reason.  

For example, I've been posting here for many years off and on, and even though I've never been banned outright I've been warned many times and suspended I think twice for a short period of "reflection."  He has said and done things far worse than I ever have and gotten away scott free however just because he's a moderator.  I think that this is what people find so annoying.  The fact that there is one set of rules for us, and another for him.  

I find most of his posts reasonable and I agree with 99% of what he says, but if it's not okay for me to "make an argument personal," then it isn't okay for him either.  

I would actually be in favour of looser rules all around and making it permissible for us to "get personal" a bit or once in a while without someone immediately jumping up and crying "ad hominem attack!" (as if that actually meant anything), or being immediately banned as if we were in high school debate class.  Until that day however, having the two sets of rules (or two classes of people if you want to look at it that way), is not exactly a good thing.    

I disagree on your ending paragraph, I'd rather have strict rules for anyone, moderators included (as it is in all successful forums). The forum is disrupted enough by his behavior, imagine having everybody act like that! Discussions wouldn't last more than one page.

What I find amusing the most is that the second most used query that gets people on AI is...iPhone 5. Lol
  • Reply 173 of 299

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

• Reply 174 of 299
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His logic was sound. It's iOS 6 with the A6 chip and the 6th gen iPhone. I know I certainly stated (and I think TS did, too) that Apple will ultimately call it whatever they think will sell the most units and if that means succumbing to the ignorance of the general user then so be it. Let's not forget that Apple first called iOS "firmware" and then OS X iPhone, and then iPhone OS, and finally iOS long after the general population was calling it iOS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Solip.. seriously?  No one is arguing logic.  Do you see 30 people posting about someone who argued it would be called the "New iPhone" or any other of the 3-4 names?  No... logic isn't even a discussion.  It was the veracity and belittling that TS did that warrants the responses we see now.

All of this is kind of moot.  In the end, the box will still just have the word "iPhone" on it.

• Reply 175 of 299
    mstone wrote: »
    All the other moderators are level headed, respectful and, well, moderator-like who almost never anger anyone. Unfortunately, TS is more of a menace than a moderator.

Agree, I might not have had the best behavior myself, but his sure didn't help and often was provocatory instead of being pragmatic.

Ok, that's the last time that I'm going to post about this, promise.
    After all it's no big deal if some people were utterly mistaken and completely disconnected from what Apple is doing. :P

Now, let's talk how the NEXT iPhone will be called? I say iPhone 7.
  • Reply 176 of 299
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Unless we use zero based indexing:

0 = (Original) iPhone
    1 = iPhone 3G
    2 = iPhone 3GS
    3 = iPhone 4
    4 = iPhone 4S
    5 = iPhone 5

I can't think of any generational designation for a shipping HW product that was referred to as the Zero Generation. If you want to say it's the 5th shipping revision of the iPhone that would surely be accurate enough, although one could argue that the new baseband processor and required antenna change for the Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 is enough of a modification to call that the 5th generation of the iPhone. Surely if your PoV is from the internal components it would be hard to argue against that.

sflocal wrote: »
    All of this is kind of moot.  In the end, the box will still just have the word "iPhone" on it.

I've certainly qualified my comments on this nomenclature topic more than a few times to say that very thing. If it offers the features I want (and I can't imagine it won't as an iPhone 4 user) then i'll be buying it even if it was called the Zunesung SIII Galaxy Universe with Flavour Crystals from Nabisco..
  • Reply 177 of 299
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I really never understood the obsession with the name. It is and has always been simply "iPhone". If it is called the 5 and the one next year the 5S, who really cares? 

I think most people care far more about the hardware specs and iOS 6 features than the name. What a waste of a thread, although the iPhone 6 club which mainly consists of Solipsism and Tallest Skil needed a good helping of crow pie and I have to admit it was fun to watch. I just didn't think it would go on for 5 pages. 

• Reply 178 of 299
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't expect PassBook to be on the first page by default. It's an app/service that is designed to present itself to the user as needed.
    If you look at Apple's iOS 6 compatibility graphic, PassBook is on the first page.

sfugwn.jpg
  • Reply 179 of 299

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

If you look at Apple's iOS 6 compatibility graphic, PassBook is on the first page.

Bingo. I wouldn't imagine Apple to leave open spaces on the box's pictures of the Home Screen when they have more of their own applications to show off.

• Reply 180 of 299

OMG that's when My Macbook will get here. :D

BTW, I love how the 12 casts the shadow of a 5. that's really clever lol.