'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 61 of 299
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member

I would prefer to see Apple go in a more Dada-esque direction and pick a name like: iPhone Blergzorp.  Subsequent names would be even more nonsensical and have no relation to anything.

You know, like the names of Hyundai cars.

• Reply 61 of 299
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Enough about the name. Let's get on to the important stuff:

• When will this be available for sale?

• Any new carriers (US Cellular, T-Mobile, China Mobile)?

• Do you have enough of them in stock to meet demand, or will it take weeks like last time?

• Reply 63 of 299
    And sure! Nothing wrong with people doing that to me if they do decide to call it a name it isn't, but I'm not going to be apologizing for knowing how to count.

I have to admit that you are the first person I thought of when I saw that shadow. Especially after all the "it's ABSOLUTELY NOT" posts.

Look at it this way. At least people are thinking of you. It's nice to be thought of now and then...
  • Reply 64 of 299
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

The reason I am not, is due to the fact that both times I placed my iPhone in my shirt pocket upside down (to protect the earphone jack because it was starting to rain), the iPhone turned off, and went into some hardware diagnostic mode which took a great deal of effort to get the iPhone to be re-booted.  Unless that will not happen with the new iPhone. (Whatever they call it)...... 

That's weird. To my knowledge there is no combination of button presses, that only involves the lock button, that would put it into DFU or a diagnostic mode. 

Did you have a reason for wanting to protect the headphone jack from the rain, over protecting the dock connector port, mic and speaker ports? ;)

• Reply 65 of 299
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    maecvs wrote: »
    The reason I am not, is due to the fact that both times I placed my iPhone in my shirt pocket upside down (to protect the earphone jack because it was starting to rain), the iPhone turned off, and went into some hardware diagnostic mode which took a great deal of effort to get the iPhone to be re-booted.  Unless that will not happen with the new iPhone. (Whatever they call it)...... 

Well now all the openings are one side so it will be even easier to protect.....
  • Reply 66 of 299
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    I'm not inserting anything about the name. I change it to the right generation. I also don't edit their posts.

But it isn't. Only internally is it anything "5". And then the iPhone 4 was internally 3

I was insistent about "iPhone 6" until this year's iPad came out, and for that I apologize, but I don't see a reason to apologize for backing "6th iPhone" thereafter.

I don't think you should apologize for backing what you think is correct. It was the vigor of your support over such a long time, with the insistence that anyone who didn't agree had some problem, that irked some of us, as in that one time when you called me childish for not agreeing with what was seen as obvious to you, but not to me.
  • Reply 67 of 299
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    welshdog wrote: »
    I would prefer to see Apple go in a more Dada-esque direction and pick a name like: iPhone Blergzorp.  Subsequent names would be even more nonsensical and have no relation to anything.

You know, like the names of Hyundai cars.

Awesome.
  • Reply 68 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

If it is called iPhone 5, then even Apple is wrong. Sorry, but that is simply pandering to the lowest common denominator and ruins the intelligent naming conventions iPhone carried in the past. Apple may name it iPhone 5 to avoid confusing idiots who don't understand the product line or its history, but there is no reason to call the 6th generation, 4th form factor iPhone an iPhone 5.

I agree that "iPhone 5" is a sucky name, but I don't think anyone can argue that the naming convention previously used was "intelligent."  It was in fact, pretty random and almost meaningless so far.   

Only the original iPhone and the iPhone 4 even have numbers that match their generation.  

It's quite a stretch to even call what they had previously "a naming convention."   

• Reply 69 of 299
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I am. Will ensure it is in the correct orientation when I pull it out of my pocket. Currently, since it usually goes in the pocket with the headphone jack up (when headphones are plugged in anyway), when you reach in and pull it out, it is upside down in your hand.

I was explaining this to my wife just last night.  We both thought it made sense even though it seems a little odd because of all the years of iDevices with the hole on top.

• Reply 70 of 299

Too funny! You should start your won company. 

• Reply 71 of 299

Well said!

• Reply 72 of 299

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

I think the marketing troubles with 4G LTE outside the US make that impossible.

Gosh, they really screwed the pooch on that, didn't they? I mean the telecoms. Between calling HSPA+ "4G", WiMAX, and LTE itself, commercials have to sound so terrible these days… Completely confusing to people who don't follow this stuff and annoying and redundant to those that do. 

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

At least people are thinking of you. It's nice to be thought of now and then...

Well, plenty of people already hate me, what's a handful more. image

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

…that one time when you called me childish for not agreeing with what was seen as obvious to you, but not to me.

Did I say childish? I truly apologize for that. You're right; there's no sense in that. I've had that happen a few times before; I see things, think they're obvious, and then am increduled when others don't see them that way. I'm sorry.

• Reply 73 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The 4S was the first time a naming convention was repeated (I'm ignoring the iPhone 4 being the first time since some people want to pretend the first instance of something doesn't establish anything).

Here's how it has been so far.

iPhone: generation

iPhone 3G: telephony

iPhone 3GS: speed

iPhone 4: generation

iPhone 4S: speed

There's no "square, triangle, circle, square, triangle, circle" methodology to the 'pattern', but there were three naming conventions in the pool from which to draw. So for the 6th one, from that it could've logically been "iPhone 6" for generation or "iPhone 4G" for telephony, simply because speed has not been used twice in a row.

This will be the funnest iPhone ever.

They still might call it "the new iPhone."

The 5 on the invitation could easily be just to let everyone know what the event is about.  

The "5" kind of rules out calling it "iPhone 6" but doesn't rule out using the "new iPhone."  

That's what I'm hoping anyway.  I prefer some degree of rationality.  

• Reply 74 of 299

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

They still might call it "the new iPhone."

The 5 on the invitation could easily be just to let everyone know what the event is about.  

The "5" kind of rules out calling it "iPhone 6" but doesn't rule out using the "new iPhone."  

That's what I'm hoping anyway.  I prefer some degree of rationality.  

OH! Wait, the A5X had 4x faster graphics… Maybe the modified chip for the iPhone, coupled with the fact that the screen has a lower resolution, has… 5x faster graphics! image

No, I'm… I agree with you, but I'm preparing for the worst at this point. 

• Reply 75 of 299
    But that's wrong, too.

I like that idea, though I don't buy it. Talk about your runaround, eh?

iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle… what else? They COULD do it, we just have to think of a 5th product.:lol:

AppleTV?
  • Reply 76 of 299
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

But it isn't. Only internally is it anything "5". And then the iPhone 4 was internally 3

I was insistent about "iPhone 6" until this year's iPad came out, and for that I apologize, but I don't see a reason to apologize for backing "6th iPhone" thereafter.

At least you admit that you were wrong.  Some people can't even accept the fact that they were completely wrong altogether.  I remember you telling me that the next iPhone would be called iPhone 6.  6th generation iPhone so it will be called iPhone 6.

• Reply 77 of 299

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

AppleTV?

Hey, as long as it's a box, I'm game. Though we just got an update to that, so I don't see more than one of those a year. Could be wrong.

• Reply 78 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That's weird. To my knowledge there is no combination of button presses, that only involves the lock button, that would put it into DFU or a diagnostic mode. 

Did you have a reason for wanting to protect the headphone jack from the rain, over protecting the dock connector port, mic and speaker ports? ;)

The top of the iPhone was sticking out of my shirt pocket, so I didn't want any rain going down the headphone jack into the unit. I don't get why the iPhone did that. It's happened both times I inverted it in my pocket. The first time I simply turned it back on, but the second time, it was a brick for a day......  

• Reply 79 of 299
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    slang4art wrote: »
    If it is called iPhone 5, then even Apple is wrong. Sorry, but that is simply pandering to the lowest common denominator and ruins the intelligent naming conventions iPhone carried in the past. Apple may name it iPhone 5 to avoid confusing idiots who don't understand the product line or its history, but there is no reason to call the 6th generation, 4th form factor iPhone an iPhone 5.

But you guys are making your own errors. Just because this is the sixth phone doesn't make it the sixth generation. You assume that a new phone, by definition, is a new generation. That doesn't make it true. Apple doesn't have to see it that way, and after all it's their phone.

They can define generation any way they want to, and that makes it right. We're just posters who have feelings about it, but whose feelings don't matter.

This could even be thought of as a forth generation phone.

But marketing doesn't always follow engineering conventions. A company looks to what they think is a defining feature of a product, and can, if they want to, use that as a marker in the name. So Apple called the newer version of the 3G the 3GS. Did they think of it as a new generation? No, they didn't. The "S" stood for speed. So they considered that they speeded up the 3G. Same model phone, faster internals. Some other more minor updates too. But apparently not worthy of an entirely new name.

Same thing with the "4". The "S" stood for Siri, supposedly, and maybe in addition, more speed. But again, clearly the same models.

So saying that this new one is the sixth generation is just the opinion of a few. Apple's naming conventions don't follow your thought, and no reason why they should. People would wonder what happened to the "5". That would be bad marketing.
  • Reply 80 of 299
    Then the invite would have read "They're almost here." 

They don't want to be grammatically incorrect ;)

Actually, if the invitation is referring to the event (singular) it would be grammatically correct to say "it's almost here" even if there are 5 products.