'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

1235715

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 299
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Gosh, they really screwed the pooch on that, didn't they? I mean the telecoms. Between calling HSPA+ "4G", WiMAX, and LTE itself, commercials have to sound so terrible these days… Completely confusing to people who don't follow this stuff and annoying and redundant to those that do. 


     


    Well, plenty of people already hate me, what's a handful more. image


     


    Did I say childish? I truly apologize for that. You're right; there's no sense in that. I've had that happen a few times before; I see things, think they're obvious, and then am increduled when others don't see them that way. I'm sorry.



    Wow TS...that was awesome.....there is hope for you yet! :-)


    I don't think people have any problem with you insisting what the next iPhone will be called....most don't really care what it will be called. It was always the manner in which you defended your position. It seemed like you took it too personal.

  • Reply 82 of 299


    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

    Just because this is the sixth phone doesn't make it the sixth generation. You assume that a new phone, by definition, is a new generation. That doesn't make it true. Apple doesn't have to see it that way, and after all it's their phone.


     


    But the iPhone isn't like the DeLorean. There are dedicated releases where new hardware defines a new generation of product. Didn't we used to call them revisions (like the G5 iMac had Rev A, Rev B (with iSight) and Rev C)? And even if we take the internal numbers, that makes this iPhone "5,1" and the iPhone 4 "3,1". But it was still called "4", because it was their fourth revision/generation. 


     



    People would wonder what happened to the "5". That would be bad marketing.


     


    People never wondered what happened to the iPhone 2. They'd get over it. They got over dropping the iPad increment.

  • Reply 83 of 299
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    hface119 wrote: »
    I'm with Tallest Skill on the naming. If they do name it iPhone 5, it goes against every naming convention they've done and just doesn't make sense. The ONLY, I repeat, ONLY iPhones ever released with a generation-signifier were the iPhone 4, and therefore also the 4S. This is the 6th generation iPhone, no matter how you want to twist it.

    And may I remind all of you, last year around this time everyone was calling the 4S the iPhone 5 prior to its announcement. So... which is right? You can't have it both ways. This isn't the fifth iPhone. 



    On a forum I would expect people to understand rather easily. When talking to non-techy friends, explaining the whole 3G vs 3GS vs 4 vs 4S is incredibly difficult. They see a number and assume chronologically, when that's got nothing to do with it, really.


    In any event, I don't expect them to call it the iPhone 6, and I don't expect them to call it the iPhone 5. I would REALLY like everything to revert back to just 'iPhone'.



    EDIT: Further, if Apple chooses to call it the iPhone 5, then fine ... but it wouldn't be technically correct. It wouldn't be the first time a company leaned toward its consumer side in the marketing department over the technical side. It would make for an interesting caveat for the nerds of the future :p

    That's just your feeling, and I disagree that this is a sixth generation phone.
  • Reply 84 of 299

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




    Quote:


    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

    You frequently edit people's posts when you quote them.



     


    But not the posts themselves. That would be disingenuous. 



     


    Please tell me that you were being sarcastic when you wrote this reply. We at least should have some ground rules for the friendly banter.

  • Reply 85 of 299


    This thread is honestly hilarious.


     


    Obviously it's going to be called iPhone 5, or they wouldn't have put a "5" in the advert. Unless you think in Apple's world 5=6 ? Or 5 means iPhone Super Awesome Edition?


     


    Do you people honestly have nothing better to do with your time then bicker about something THAT trivial?


     


    If I was Apple, I'd be laughing my ass off. You guys trolled yourselves.

  • Reply 86 of 299


    This thread was epic: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/140946/strong-sales-of-iphone-4s-a-precursor-to-monster-launch-of-redesigned-iphone-5. The first reply is awesome. Actually, all the posts by TS in that thread had so much ferocity in them it's amazing. Dood has passion no doubt.


     


    My entry into the thread brings back some good memories: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/140946/strong-sales-of-iphone-4s-a-precursor-to-monster-launch-of-redesigned-iphone-5/200#post_2026865. I still believe I made some good points. But that's just my lowly opinion :)

  • Reply 87 of 299
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member


    There have been so many leaks on this I wonder what they could possibly do to surprise people.


     


    I find myself more interested by the Nokia event this week if I'm being honest. They're making the most beautiful phones out there, and Windows Phone remains the most modern thinking and original mobile OS. Obviously nobody is going to buy it, but still, I like to see new things. The same old from Apple and Google is getting rather dull.

  • Reply 88 of 299
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

    I like to think the 5 stands for 5 new products  :p



     


    I like that idea, though I don't buy it. Talk about your runaround, eh?


    iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle… what else? They COULD do it, we just have to think of a 5th product.




     


    5th is easy: any imac, mac mini, 13" retina MBP, 99$ Apple TV upgrade,


     


    Maybe ipad mini but they were right on for the 12th launch date, so the october ipad mini launch may be right on too. There is also the possible but not probable surprise product, like the cable box or full tv set.


     


    My biggest wishes are apps on the appleTV and the ipad mini with a  200-250$ price range

  • Reply 89 of 299


    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

    …I wonder what they could possibly do to surprise people.


     


    Tell us the hardware in the device, since we don't know anything about it yet, and the device-specific software features, since we don't know those, either.


     


    All in all, the entire phone minus the look. 






    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

    Maybe ipad mini but they were right on for the 12th launch date, so the october ipad mini launch may be right on too.



     


    On the October event, I buy that there is one, but I think it would be better if it was for the iMac, 13" retina MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and iLife and iWork '13! Where the heck have those been? I realize that Macs don't make you any meaningful money anymore, Apple, but some of us still like to use the computers that got you where you are today.

  • Reply 90 of 299


    Perhaps Apple is keeping it iPhone 5 because there's plenty of past generations still around and to differentiate it 5 would mean certain features from the iOS 6 can't be used with prior iPhones. 

  • Reply 91 of 299

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post





    Actually, if the invitation is referring to the event (singular) it would be grammatically correct to say "it's almost here" even if there are 5 products.


    It could reference either but I would think people care more about -- and the invite is referencing -- the phone almost being here not the event.

  • Reply 92 of 299
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    I don't think you should apologize for backing what you think is correct. It was the assholeness of your support over such a long time, with the insistence that anyone who didn't agree had some problem, that irked some of us, as in that one time when you called me childish for not agreeing with what was seen as obvious to you, but not to me.


    There - fixed that for you

  • Reply 93 of 299


    Originally Posted by bulldogger View Post

    Perhaps Apple is keeping it iPhone 5 because there's plenty of past generations still around and to differentiate it 5 would mean certain features from the iOS 6 can't be used with prior iPhones. 


     


    But that always happens, regardless of the name.

  • Reply 94 of 299

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bulldogger View Post


    Perhaps Apple is keeping it iPhone 5 because there's plenty of past generations still around and to differentiate it 5 would mean certain features from the iOS 6 can't be used with prior iPhones. 



    They could still name it "The new iPhone."

  • Reply 95 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    That's just your feeling, and I disagree that this is a sixth generation phone.


    There is no doubt it's the sixth iPhone though.  It just depends on how you define "generation."  


     


    My personal preference would be for Apple to stop selling the old versions when the new one comes out.  That way it could just be the "iPhone" every single year and n one has to stress out about anything at all.  


     


    I don't think the slightly lower prices on "last year's gear" really do much for them sales wise and the real problem with the iPhone has always been the extremely high price.  


     


    I think Apple would be better off putting their skills behind the creation of a truly low-cost, off-contract, version of the iPhone and forget about this BS of selling the last three years models all at differing prices.  It's confusing and stupid IMO and there are enough of last years phones being re-sold by the users themselves anyway.    

  • Reply 96 of 299
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    But the iPhone isn't like the DeLorean. There are dedicated releases where new hardware defines a new generation of product. Didn't we used to call them revisions (like the G5 iMac had Rev A, Rev B (with iSight) and Rev C)? And even if we take the internal numbers, that makes this iPhone "5,1" and the iPhone 4 "3,1". But it was still called "4", because it was their fourth revision/generation. 

    People never wondered what happened to the iPhone 2. They'd get over it. They got over dropping the iPad increment.

    If this phone is internally referred to as the 5.1, then it's clearly a fifth generation model. But it really doesn't matter, and that's one of the points I've been making. Naming is purely a marketing function, somethng I was involved with with my own companies, and in my years in advertising.

    Whatever Apple wants to emphasize that year is going to be reflected in the name. Of course a first model is rarely given a number, but the second one often is. But Apple wanted to address the big question of 3G that year, the lack of which was a reason many people, including my family, didn't buy the first model. So they named it the 3G. Nothing to do with he generation of phone, just the feature they wanted people to be aware of.

    Why did they name the "4" the "4"? Likely because it was a new phone entirely and people were used to it having 3G.

    If this one will be referred to as the "5", and we don't know that yet, after all, that number could refer to five products, then it would likely be because, again, this is an entirely new phone, marked by a completely new case and screen.

    If that's Apple's thinking, then "5" makes sense for them.
  • Reply 97 of 299


    I don't know why I always get caught up in speculating but:


     


    It could also be rising from the shadow of iOS5


     


    Could also mean the length (shadow projecting) of the phone is 5" long.


     


    I could care less if the phone is called the 5 or the 6 or whatever. But there are other possible meanings behind the numbers.


     


    Could also mean all of the above. 5" phone, rising from iOS5 (i.e. iOS6), with a A5X processor, with 5 cool features and we call it the iPhone 5.   

  • Reply 98 of 299
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    paxman wrote: »
    There - fixed that for you

    Well, I don't think you need to go that far. Annoying, but I prefer not using words of that descriptiveness. Other words suffice.
  • Reply 99 of 299


    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

    They could still name it "The new iPhone."


     


    Specifically on that, take a look at this. They put "The new iPhone" right on the box. Now, they don't do this with the iPad. Fake? Click for much larger, and then right-click and open the image in a new tab for the full size… 


     


  • Reply 100 of 299
    What a waste of a thread over some naming bs.

    I long for the trolls.......
Sign In or Register to comment.