'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 141 of 299

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The iPhone 4 box was laminated. Where did that image come from? Interesting - if real, the box will have the number 6 on each end

It does. The box is probably perfect in every way except for two, as virginblue4 pointed out.

1. It's missing PassBook

2. YouTube is there

It's a fake.

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

. . iPhone 5 or the 5th anniversary of the iPhone?

The anniversary of the introduction was in January. 

The anniversary of the release was in June.

Nope.

Someone on another site offered up an interesting take on the "five products" idea. iPhone, iPod nano, iPod touch, Apple TV, iTunes. That new, fully redesigned iTunes we heard about, as one of the products. Apple has certainly highlighted far lesser features than a full application as "10 features" before.

• Reply 142 of 299
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Aw, I hate showing up late to the party. Hey, who ate all the pie?

Anyway, it's nice to see that the iPhone 12 will be released tomorrow.

I wonder what the deal will be on the Mac side. I'm thinking they will start with the new iPhone and then demo the new iMac. It's a good way to try and ship more desktops by tagging it onto a major iPhone launch.
  • Reply 143 of 299
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It does. The box is probably perfect in every way except for two, as virginblue4 pointed out.

1. It's missing PassBook

2. YouTube is there

It's a fake.

Then it is probably Samsung packagingimage

• Reply 144 of 299
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Fake! There is no way that the number 12 could produce a shadow like that. I'm saying it's photoshopped.
  • Reply 145 of 299
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I WAS RIGHT.

And all those who treated me like shit just for arguing that it might be called iPhone 5 were wrong, our great moderator included.
  • Reply 146 of 299
    There are 3 reasons why I don't believe it is the real box:
    1. It says 'The new iPhone' instead of just 'iPhone'.
    2. There is no passbook app
    3. The native YouTube app is there.

I don't expect PassBook to be on the first page by default. It's an app/service that is designed to present itself to the user as needed.
  • Reply 147 of 299
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes. Only the people TS arrogantly and belligerently dismissed as being WRONG can jibe back. C'mon everybody.

Oooh- me 2!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

What's funny is TS is going to be 20% of the posts in this thread.  2% actually talking about product.  78% laughing at TS and giving him a hard time.  20% TS defending and still justifying he was right.

That's all the satisfaction I need.  Ah heck.. once more... HAHAHAHAHA

• Reply 148 of 299

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

What's funny is TS is going to be 20% of the posts in this thread.  2% actually talking about product.  78% laughing at TS and giving him a hard time.  20% TS defending and still justifying he was right.

Good ol' schadenfreude! 

• Reply 149 of 299

The anniversary of the introduction was in January. 
    The anniversary of the release was in June.

I understand that the months don't add up but. Was referring to the years.

This is the 5th year anniversary is it not?
  • Reply 150 of 299

Please Apple, take my money yet again!

• Reply 151 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good ol' schadenfreude

lol... had to google it and I still had a hard time finding out what it meant.

• Reply 152 of 299
    andysol wrote: »
    Oooh- me 2!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

His logic was sound. It's iOS 6 with the A6 chip and the 6th gen iPhone. I know I certainly stated (and I think TS did, too) that Apple will ultimately call it whatever they think will sell the most units and if that means succumbing to the ignorance of the general user then so be it. Let's not forget that Apple first called iOS "firmware" and then OS X iPhone, and then iPhone OS, and finally iOS long after the general population was calling it iOS.
  • Reply 153 of 299

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

I understand that the months don't add up but. Was referring to the years.

This is the 5th year anniversary is it not?

*shrug* Okay, I guess. Apple's not much one for celebration of anniversaries anymore, at least not in anything more than passing remarks, but they'll probably mention the 1st gen at least once.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

…the A6 chip… 

Ah, we still don't know that. I'm still banking on A5X, myself. Hopes already shattered in one way, may as well keep them intact in another.

• Reply 154 of 299
    Ah, we still don't know that. I'm still banking on A5X, myself. Hopes already shattered in one way, may as well keep them intact in another.

We don't, but I'd wager it's not an A5X because even with the 32nm lithography there simply isn't a reason to have 4 GPU cores on that low pixel display (when comparing to the new iPad) and not when the hit to battery life will be so drastic. It also means the chip, even with the die shrink, will still be large. I'm guessing it's an A6 with dual-core CPU and GPU at 32nm and 1GB RAM.
  • Reply 155 of 299

Quote:

His logic was sound. It's iOS 6 with the A6 chip and the 6th gen iPhone. I know I certainly stated (and I think TS did, too) that Apple will ultimately call it whatever they think will sell the most units and if that means succumbing to the ignorance of the general user then so be it. Let's not forget that Apple first called iOS "firmware" and then OS X iPhone, and then iPhone OS, and finally iOS long after the general population was calling it iOS.

Solip.. seriously?  No one is arguing logic.  Do you see 30 people posting about someone who argued it would be called the "New iPhone" or any other of the 3-4 names?  No... logic isn't even a discussion.  It was the veracity and belittling that TS did that warrants the responses we see now.

• Reply 156 of 299
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This might have been mentioned but y'know what else it could be is that it is getting launched on the 12th September for pre-order and shipped on October the 5th.

October 5th is the anniversary of Steve's death (in case I haven't mentioned that enough times) and this was his last project.
  • Reply 157 of 299
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    crunch wrote: »
    …soon-to-be redesigned iPad 3… 

Why? The next model comes out in March/April.

I'd love ac, but I seriously doubt it. Particularly in those devices.

Yea, I'm not seriously expecting it, but if they can somehow manage to get it in there, it would make sense to put it in the 3rd gen. iPad redesign. By that I don't mean the 4th ten. iPad, but the re-design that's supposed to happen to include the new dock connector next month.

andysol wrote: »

Good ol' schadenfreude! 

Why even deal with these idiots. I doubt many of them even know what schadenfreude means. haha
  • Reply 158 of 299

Apple has a difficult decision to make...

Continue with the same 4" to the next iPhones or to go for a larger screen...

• Reply 159 of 299
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:

Solip.. seriously?  No one is arguing logic.  Do you see 30 people posting about someone who argued it would be called the "New iPhone" or any other of the 3-4 names?  No... logic isn't even a discussion.  It was the veracity and belittling that TS did that warrants the responses we see now.

If that is the case then I think people far too readily feel belittled. I enjoyed TS's rants about the name, although I do have to admit that I also agreed with his logic.

• Reply 160 of 299
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/11601/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Not taking sides here, just couldn't resist.