Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

You may call it the "new" iPhone if you'd prefer.

No preferences there on my side. Just amusement about the different "logics" behind the possible names.

Now that we know, that the 6th iPhone will be called iPhone 5, can we start to argue about the naming of the 7th iPhone?

how about iPhone 6W?

• Reply 42 of 144

It should just be the NEW iPhone.

• Reply 43 of 144
    The problem with just naming the new iPhone "new iPhone", which is what they do with most of their products, is that they continue to sell several generations of old devices at lower prices, so they need model names. This isn't a problem with the MacBook Air, for example, because they stopped selling the MacBook Air 4,1 when the 5,1 came out.
  • Reply 44 of 144
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,084member

The leaks are unbelievable.  Tim Cook, WTF?    

• Reply 45 of 144
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

The only reason Apple was able to keep it's secrets in the past was that people were scared of Steve.

• Reply 46 of 144

store.apple.com/ sites are down for update..............................

• Reply 47 of 144

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Tallest Skill's head is going to explode!

Guess I might get to use that image after all… 

Originally Posted by mstfgrdn View Post

What time it is going to be released? Do you know when the introduction will be held?

September 21st. Introduction's at 10 PST. This is stuff you really need to be searching for.

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Commiserations TS. For the record, I agreed with you.

I thank you for being rational, logical, and not bowing to public opinion. Unlike Apple, apparently.

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

shut up.

Either explain to us why the 6th iPhone running iOS 6 on an A6 processor should be called "iPhone 5" or… shut up, yourself. image

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

OMG... Apple made a mistake. Let's have TS correct the website's HTML and edit the 5 out.

Oh, I'm no good at all with website code.

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

…as long as iPhone is in the name, it'll sell with whatever suffix is appended to it.

That's about the worst position Apple could be in.

Originally Posted by neosum View Post

Apple is obviously not following your naming scheme.

Or their own. 

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

The problem with just naming the new iPhone "new iPhone", which is what they do with most of their products, is that they continue to sell several generations of old devices at lower prices, so they need model names.

Not in the slightest. iPad.

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

What leaks? Oh, you mean the ones that are identical and not even as worse as the ones before every event when Steve Jobs was alive? Get over it.

• Reply 48 of 144

Get over it.

• Reply 49 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

The problem with just naming the new iPhone "new iPhone", which is what they do with most of their products, is that they continue to sell several generations of old devices at lower prices, so they need model names. This isn't a problem with the MacBook Air, for example, because they stopped selling the MacBook Air 4,1 when the 5,1 came out.

This seems quite plausible. But then again they call the 3rd iPad the new iPad, while they are still selling the iPad2.

So really Apples logic behind their naming pattern is quit erratic.

• Reply 50 of 144
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Apple follows the naming scheme (obviously), not the physical number of iPhones released. 

I thought this would have at least been obvious by the time the iPhone 4 was released. 

Huh? The 4 is the 4th device.. I really don't care what the name is.
  • Reply 51 of 144

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Huh? The 4 is the 4th device.. I really don't care what the name is.

But now the 5 (might be) the sixth device. 

• Reply 52 of 144
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

New iTunes seems exciting- and so does the new nano.  I already know everything about the iPhone for the most part hardware-wise (software I think we'll still get some new info)- but the Nano we all really know nothing.  iTunes- with the exception of something similar to spotify- we don't know a ton about either.  I eagerly await those announcements even more than the iPhone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I thank you for being rational, logical, and not bowing to public opinion. Unlike Apple, apparently.

Or their own. 

You have no idea what Apple's naming schemes are or their thoughts behind the scenes.  To quote yourself so eloquently- That's why you don't work for Apple.

• Reply 53 of 144
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Who gives a shit whether it's iPhone 5, 6 or something else.  Why is that such a big deal?!?

• Reply 54 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And yet 4S came after 4 and 5 is coming after 4S. You can spin it any way you want but it's irrational to say that a '5' comes after an 'S' or '4S' and that w should never use '2".

Your next argument would likely be to say that the internal model of the CPU is 5,1 but then that would make the pecking order iPhone, iPhone S, iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 3V (for Verizon since that was 3,3), iPhone 4, and iPhone 5. Clearly that isn't how they were named.

5 comes after 4.  It seems Soli here doesn't understand it.

You can spin it any way you like...but Apple's calling it iPhone 5.

How do nitpickers like you get out of bed.  Lol.

Lemon Bon Bon. 

• Reply 55 of 144
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    so...now all you guys who argued vehemently that it would not be called iphone 5 can spin it anyway you want but it is the iphone 5.
    It is what it is.....
  • Reply 56 of 144

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You have no idea what Apple's naming schemes are or their thoughts behind the scenes.

Other than when they told us on stage exactly why they called their devices the names they called them (every keynote), you're right.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who gives a shit whether it's iPhone 5, 6 or something else.  Why is that such a big deal?!?

Apple has always been about giving people "what they wanted, not what they thought they wanted". Calling the 6th device "iPhone 5" is bowing not only to what idiots in the public think—the John Q. Public who have no knowledge of the internals of Apple—but is also a virtual admittance of the stupid, pathetic whining last year that the iPhone 4S "was a stopgap" and that we were "supposed to get the iPhone 5 last year, therefore since we didn't, the next phone will be iPhone 5". The name is only still in the public mindset because of these idiots, their unrealistic expectations before the launch of the last iPhone, and the stupid rumor that Apple would be releasing TWO PHONES at the same time. 

The next step down the ladder is design by committee.

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

It is what it is.....

Not until Cook's on stage with it, it isn't.

• Reply 57 of 144
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I can't remember who said it, but on another thread there was an explanation about why the new iPad dropped the suffix.  I think it was explained that if they kept the suffix and released an iPad Mini, then what do you call the next gen iPad and iPad mini?  For example, if they named it the current iPad, "iPad 3", then the Mini would be what?  Then the next release?  iPad mini 2 and iPad 4?  That would be a mess.  However, the next question would be, will Apple stop selling the iPad 2 after the release of the Next "new iPad"?

The naming is crazy right now.

My guess is the iPhone 5 is the name because they are still selling previous versions.

• Reply 58 of 144

Yes, Geekdad.  There's no spinning this one.

iPhone 5!  YES! :P

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 59 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

This seems quite plausible. But then again they call the 3rd iPad the new iPad, while they are still selling the iPad2.

So really Apples logic behind their naming pattern is quit erratic.

Traditionally, Apple doesn't use version numbers at all, except sometimes at the very beginning of a products cycle.  So the whole thing with the numbers is unusual, new, and could easily go away anytime.  

Traditionally, Apple expands the price envelope on it's product lines by introducing new products (nano, mini, etc.), not by re-selling old versions of said products, so that could easily go away at any time also.  

The existence of the product numbers in iPhones then indicates that there is not currently an "iPhone Pro" or an "iPhone mini" or an "iPhone nano" in the mix.  

When and if they switch from this stupid, ungainly thing with the version numbers (that aren't really version numbers), to a more sane product naming convention the same as their other product lines remains to be seen.  

I'm still holding out hope that the whole "iPhone 5" thing is a joke, and that they will soon move to expand the iPhone line.  If the new iPod nano goes back to the candy bar form factor as rumoured this time, I think this might happen as early as next year.  This is more of a hope than it is based on any actual information on my part though. 

I'm also hoping that all these leaks are similarly a setup by Apple as they are just a complete fail otherwise.  A fail of epic proportions in fact.  The only thing we don't really know much about in regards the event today is what the "loop" accessory for the new iPods is.  

A lanyard attachment point?  A "Loope" spelled incorrectly?

• Reply 60 of 144

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

My guess is the iPhone 5 is the name because they are still selling previous versions.

That doesn't explain the choice of name and implies that at some point in the future they wouldn't sell previous versions.

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm still holding out hope that the whole "iPhone 5" thing is a joke…

Agreed.

I'm also hoping that all these leaks are similarly a setup by Apple as they are just a complete fail otherwise.  A fail of epic proportions in fact.  The only thing we don't really know much about in regards the event today is what the "loop" accessory for the new iPods is.  A lanyard attachment point?  A "Loope" spelled incorrectly?

Completely and utterly disagreed. We can't say squat about what's actually being announced, much less what's in just the 6th iPhone.