Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 144

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

So what? What problems will that present in the real world? The only problem I've seen is yours and I fail to see how that will be harmful or even acknowledged by the 10's of millions of people who will buy them.

The number of people that buy a product does not make a product good or even correct. Not by a long shot. That seems to be the prevailing argument in favor of (rather, in indifference toward) the "iPhone 5" name, and frankly that's sort of disturbing to see.

• Reply 102 of 144
    Dont get me wrong, I understand your logic and it seemed likely to me you would be right. But you weren't. Everyone will understand 4s then the 5. That's what matters. Your argument seems pedantic.
  • Reply 103 of 144
    Also, a rose by any other name...
  • Reply 104 of 144

Everyone will understand 4s then the 5.

I've been counting wrong for my entire life, apparently. Had no idea the number S was in there. image

• Reply 105 of 144
    Lol, that is funny. But also pedantic.
  • Reply 106 of 144

Lol, that is funny. But also pedantic.

… Not sure how the truth can be overscrupulous… 

• Reply 107 of 144

Tallest Skil is one funny dude

• Reply 108 of 144
    Because your opinion as to what Apples naming scheme should be doesn't equal the truth. You're bogged down in details that don't matter to 99.99% of people(<--exact calculation).
    Show me how this will be a problem. Not why your logic leads you to think it should be iphone6, but the problem that will arise from calling it iphone5.
  • Reply 109 of 144

Show me how this will be a problem. Not why your logic leads you to think it should be iphone6, but the problem that will arise from calling it iphone5.

Already have in this very thread, and elsewhere. 

Apple has always been about giving people "what they wanted, not what they thought they wanted". Calling the 6th device "iPhone 5" is bowing not only to what idiots in the public think—the John Q. Public who have no knowledge of the internals of Apple—but is also a virtual admittance of the stupid, pathetic whining last year that the iPhone 4S "was a stopgap" and that we were "supposed to get the iPhone 5 last year, therefore since we didn't, the next phone will be iPhone 5". The name is only still in the public mindset because of these idiots, their unrealistic expectations before the launch of the last iPhone, and the stupid rumor that Apple would be releasing TWO PHONES at the same time.

?Additionally, they've changed their minds about how to behave in just the past six months.

• Reply 110 of 144
    I don't see that as a problem for apple in the slightest. You clearly have a problem with it. There's a big difference there.
  • Reply 111 of 144

I don't see that as a problem for apple in the slightest.

Sorry, you don't see a problem with Apple going around to everyone and asking what they want the phone to be like? Design by committee doesn't strike you as a bad idea? It's why the Apple III had a 100% failure rate.

• Reply 112 of 144
    This isn't a case of being designed by committee. It's a case of being named by what will be understood most easily. Getting the average person (or idiots as you like to say) to understand and actually use new technology has always been one of apples greater accomplishments.
  • Reply 113 of 144

This isn't a case of being designed by committee. It's a case of being named by what will be understood most easily.

"iPhone". Terribly difficult to understand.

• Reply 114 of 144
    The new iPhone "it's not terribly difficult to understand".
  • Reply 115 of 144

The new iPhone "it's not terribly difficult to understand".

I'd like that as a tagline, sure. image

Maybe just in the UK.

• Reply 116 of 144
    Not having the iOS number and the chip number match up with the number of the iPhone just seems ludicrous. It's like running iOS 5 on the iPhone 4. You had the latest and greatest operating system on hardware that's a year old. Why have the newest operating system called iOS 6, the newest chip called the A6, and have the sixth phone called the 5?

Because Apple is now pandering to the masses. Which is what every company in the world BUT Apple does. Steve Jobs truly was a visionary, and that will slowly fade from Apple over the years. The executives running the show now are great, but they don't have what made Steve Jobs special. Which is what made Apple special.

History repeats itself always:

In a strange twist of fate, we've already seen what Apple is without Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 117 of 144

Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

Not having the iOS number and the chip number match up with the number of the iPhone just seems ludicrous. It's like running iOS 5 on the iPhone 4. You had the latest and greatest operating system on hardware that's a year old. Why have the newest operating system called iOS 6, the newest chip called the A6, and have the sixth phone called the 5?

Because Apple is now pandering to the masses. Which is what every company in the world BUT Apple does. Steve Jobs truly was a visionary, and that will slowly fade from Apple over the years. The executives running the show now are great, but they don't have what made Steve Jobs special. Which is what made Apple special.

History repeats itself always:

In a strange twist of fate, we've already seen what Apple is without Steve Jobs.

I'm truly not alone. How wonderful. 

• Reply 118 of 144
    You're not alone Tallest Skil, there are a few of us out here with some brains. Any time I've discussed this with someone I feel like I'm having a conversation with Nigel Tufnel from SPINAL TAP:

Long pause........."These go to eleven"
  • Reply 119 of 144
    Yes 192, you're one of the few here with brains (eye roll).
    If everyone smells like sh!t, it's time to check your nose.
  • Reply 120 of 144
    Doctor David, please refer to your post above where you said:

"5 comes after 4"

Yes, you're correct. As my nephew in pre-school can confirm, 5 DOES come after 4.

Except in the case of the iPhone....... where it didn't. Hence the irritation of several members here at Apple Insider.

Refer again to your post above:

"You're making it too complicated"

There is exactly ZERO good reasons to call it the iPhone 5, except that sheeple are stupid.