Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the name iPhone 5 already hinted at in Apple's invitation to its media event, search results on the company's website now appear to confirm the name of its next-generation iPhone. Also confirmed by the website are the inclusion of LTE 4G support, as well as the debuts of a new iPod touch, iPod nano, and a new version of iTunes.

Search

A search for "iphone-5" on apple.com conducted on Wednesday returned results for a number of pages that do not currently exist. Among them is a link to an inactive press release with a date of Sept. 12 named "Apple Introduces iPhone 5."

Another URL shows a "tips" article that will be located in a new iPhone 5 section of Apple's website. Two more legal documents are included among the search results with the name "iphone5,1" included in the URL. And a search for "iphone-LTE" suggests that 4G LTE connectivity will be included in the new handset.

The iPhone 5 name was hinted at last week, when the company sent out invitations for the event. In the invitations, the number 12, representing the Sept. 12 date, casts a shadow in the shape of the number 5.

Search 2

Searching the date "2012/09/12Apple" also returns a link to an inactive press release with the name "Apple Unveils New iTunes," suggesting the software will be given a major update at today's event. Finally, it was also discovered that searching "new iPod touch" returns references to a press release entitled "Apple Introduces New iPod touch, iPod nano."

Search 3

Last year, a mistaken update to Apple's online store in Japan similarly outed the name of the iPhone 4S prior to its official unveiling. Prior to that, many had expected the device would be known as the iPhone 5, but it now appears Apple saved that name for its 2012 model.

The new iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano and iTunes are all expected to be unveiled by Apple at its media event today at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. The keynote presentation will kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 144
    Oops!
    Steve would fire. Heads would roll.
  • Reply 2 of 144
    So the 6th iPhone is iPhone 5!
  • Reply 3 of 144
    Yes....!

It's iPhone 5.

Did we expect it be anything else?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 4 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

5 comes after 4.

It's really easy.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 5 of 144

You may call it the "new" iPhone if you'd prefer.
  • Reply 6 of 144
    5 comes after 4.

It's really easy.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Then again 4T comes after 4S.
  • Reply 7 of 144

I think far too much is being read into the "name" as all the phones just say "iPhone" on the back anyway....

So far we've had no number on the original iPhone, 2 iPhone 3s (3G / 3GS) and 2 iPhone 4s (4 / 4S) and now it looks like the new one is the 5...

I look forward to 6 months time where we start arguing about whether the 2013 iPhone will be the 5S the 6 or the 7...

• Reply 8 of 144
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Wait, you are saying 5 comes after 4? Are you also suggesting the next iPhone could be either the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6?!?

This is just crazy talk! Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!
  • Reply 9 of 144
    5 comes after 4.

It's really easy.

And yet 4S came after 4 and 5 is coming after 4S. You can spin it any way you want but it's irrational to say that a '5' comes after an 'S' or '4S' and that w should never use '2".

Your next argument would likely be to say that the internal model of the CPU is 5,1 but then that would make the pecking order iPhone, iPhone S, iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 3V (for Verizon since that was 3,3), iPhone 4, and iPhone 5. Clearly that isn't how they were named.
  • Reply 10 of 144
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I expected the iPod updates, they are always updated at this time of year, but the new iTunes is a pleasant surprise. I hope they improve the browse and search features.
  • Reply 11 of 144
    "Oops! Steve would fire. Heads would roll."

No doubt. Shows that the decline of Apple has begun. Time to see your stock!
  • Reply 12 of 144

I don't really care what they call it, I'm calling it my next phone.  Period.

• Reply 13 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Then again 4T comes after 4S.

No, 4S II comes next, geez haven't you learned anything from Samsung?

• Reply 14 of 144

iPhone 5 and new iTunes - search "2012/09"

• Reply 15 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

No, 4S II comes next

You mean the 4S II Super Stretch HD Duo Plus surely?

• Reply 16 of 144
    iPhone (original)=iPhone 1
    iPhone 3G=iphone 2
    iPhone 3GS=iPhone 3
    iPhone 4=iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S=iPhone 5
    NEW iPhone=iPhone 6
  • Reply 17 of 144
    Why do people have to snoop and try and find out everything they can about the unreleased Apple products? I myself like the surprise, I like to watch the keynotes and witness the "magic". Why not just wait and see what the next iPhone is? Now, if it isn't what everyone and their brother says it will include (4 inch screen, NFC, etc.etc..) everyone will be dissapointed and the stock will drop. Let the people who know tell us the facts!
  • Reply 18 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I don't really care what they call it, I'm calling it my next phone.  Period.

This.

• Reply 19 of 144
    Big whoop.
  • Reply 20 of 144
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    iPhone (original)=iPhone 1
    iPhone 3G=iphone 2
    iPhone 3GS=iPhone 3
    iPhone 4=iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S=iPhone 5
    NEW iPhone=iPhone 6
    YAWN.....

(this why geeks should NEVER be in charge of naming anything)