Apple's iPhone 5 praised as 'a Rolex among a sea of Timexes'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Some will say this is just another iPhone. Some are outraged at the price of a Tiffany's engagement ring. They look at the high quality stones & workmanship through a loop & say, "so?" They then buy a cheaper ring elseware. "Honey, why is my finger green?" "Hey, it's a good ring & I got a great deal." Tthere are differences.

Ha!  That's a great analogy.

Even if you do go and buy a ring of the same quality from somewhere else, I can say from experience, the reaction you get when you hand over the blue Tiffanys bag is worth the extra money!

• Reply 82 of 191

Even phones that seem well built can wear over time

My Droid X seemed like it was pretty well built initially. The case and battery cover were some sort of alloy.  It was very durable overall.  I am not going pretend it wasn't.  But after 2 years my battery cover wouldn't stay on.  The phone and the outside of the battery cover were both solid and remained in great shape, but the latches on the battery cover were the weakest link.  They simply wore down.  I had to pull the battery cover regularly to access the micro SD card and to reboot the device when it froze.  There was probably another way but pulling the battery was easy.  I did that for years not knowing I was causing damage to the phone BECAUSE IT WAS CONVENIENT.  The design allowed me to do something that ultimately ruined my phone.

Had there been no battery cover, it would have annoyed me, but the device would still be in remarkable shape.  It looks as good as the day I bought it, but once you pick it up and realize the battery cover is loose,  it feels like a piece of garbage in your hand.

It made me realize that there is a advantage to the way Apple constructs things.  

I own an iPhone now and I'll never complain about the lack of a battery cover.

• Reply 83 of 191
    Eyerone who is complaining about the analogy not working because "there is better watches than rolex" is on my ignore list now. Along with all the grammer nazi's.. I really like posts like these to filter it down to commenters who are saying stuff that has a point and adds to the argument.

:|
  • Reply 84 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I love that trolls can't help but reveal themselves.

Did we? I don't recall liking a proven fake batch of lies.

"Same case, same phone."

So I am a troll just because I think apple could have done better with the iphone 5? Wow . Nevermind I have had every iphone up until the 5 and I have amacbook pro  , apple tv, and ipad 2 at home. So I am a troll unless I bow down before apple  and love every product they release?

Besides the screen I have every feature the iphone 5 has on my iphone 4s. A screen alone and phone design by itself will not make me switch.  I do like the nokia 920.    Also the new dock connector got rid of some things that could be an actual feature like analog audio.

• Reply 85 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Not a good analogy in my opinion. There are so many great watches out there, but smartphones, not so much... And if we are talking about Swiss watches, there are plenty of watches in that price and quality category that I would choose over a Rolex.

Think a little more abstractly.

YOU GET THE IDEA. Switch out Rolex with Patek Philippe or Panerai or whatever.

The "Rolex" of anything has been taken to mean a certain level of quality and refinement. It doesn't need to refer specifically to current Rolexes.

• Reply 86 of 191

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

So I am a troll just because I think apple could have done better with the iphone 5? Wow .

If you'll notice, your quote wasn't included in that reply, even though YES, you WERE completely lying about the iPhone 4S.

And I find it interesting that you would try to defend yourself in this regard, since that was the case.

Nevermind I have had every iphone up until the 5 and I have amacbook pro  , apple tv, and ipad 2 at home.

This screenshot an excerpt from Rules of the Troll, revision A.

Besides the screen I have every feature the iphone 5 has on my iphone 4s.

Ah, so you have an A6 processor, the better GPU, LTE, however much RAM is in there, the better camera, the Lightning port, the third microphone… 

Shut up. That's as nice as I can be to people who say this about the iPhone anymore. You're lying through your teeth and you know it.

• Reply 87 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But there are watches built better than a Rolex.

FFS are tech nerds able to think abstractly at all?  You sound like a Dell designer. 

It's an analogy. It doesn't need to refer specifically to current Rolexes. "Rolex", over the years, has permeated the public consciousness to the degree that we associate the term with the notion of quality and refinement. And the term has stuck. Which is why it's used. It's more recognizable, and associations can be made faster if "Rolex" is used, rather than "Lange & Söhne" or "Jaeger-LeCoultre."

• Reply 88 of 191
    h2ph2p Posts: 335member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you think the quote would be better if Munster researched what he thought was the very best watch maker, bar none, and used some obscure name that no one had heard of? How does using unrecognizable names that need to be researched by all buy the very few and explained to nearly everyone make a quote better?

"Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said while the iPhone 5 is like an IWC, many competing phones "feel more like cheaper Huangpu-brand watches."

+1. Pithy making a fabulous point. Thank you SolipsismX.

• Reply 89 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

FFS are tech nerds able to think abstractly at all?  You sound like a Dell designer. 

Sadly, there is a certain type of person on the internet for whom everything is a cock measuring contest.

• Reply 90 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not if you know about time pieces. Everyone knows Rolex because they advertise heavily but there are plenty of better built watches and some are even less expensive than a Rolex.

The author is trying to make a point here. Plug in whatever watch brand makes you feel good.

• Reply 91 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you'll notice, your quote wasn't included in that reply, even though YES, you WERE completely lying about the iPhone 4S.

And I find it interesting that you would try to defend yourself in this regard, since that was the case.

This screenshot an excerpt from Rules of the Troll, revision A.

Ah, so you have an A6 processor, the better GPU, LTE, however much RAM is in there, the better camera, the Lightning port, the third microphone… 

Shut up. That's as nice as I can be to people who say this about the iPhone anymore. You're lying through your teeth and you know it.

The camera specs are all the same except for the saphire lense.  I will not shut up

Do you want me to post a picture of all the apple products I own? I am reporting you now. You post are getting real nasty . I am sure telling me to shutup is against the rules of this forum. Prove to me that the iphone 4s camera is NOT the same quality. Every site I have seen even apples show the camera specs as the same.  all they did was make it thinner. The fstop ,  mega pixel count, lense count are all the same on the iphone 5 and the iphone 4s.

• Reply 92 of 191

Quote:

Good luck complaining against the antics of one of the forum mods.....

As to posting pictures of all the Apple stuff you have, go on then!

• Reply 93 of 191

The camera specs are all the same except for the saphire lense.  I will not shut up

OH! So… when you said this… 

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Besides the screen I have every feature the iphone 5 has on my iphone 4s. 

…you were lying, then. Because you know that there is a difference in the camera, at least. And with that knowledge, wouldn't you imagine some other things changed? Such as the CPU, GPU, telephony, microphones, connector, battery… 

Seems strange that you'd say one thing and minutes later claim the other.

• Reply 94 of 191
    quadra 610 wrote: »

It's an analogy. It doesn't need to refer specifically to current Rolexes. "Rolex", over the years, has permeated the public consciousness to the degree that we associate the term with the notion of quality and refinement. And the term has stuck. Which is why it's used. It's more recognizable, and associations can be made faster if "Rolex" is used, rather than "Lange & Söhne" or "Jaeger-LeCoultre."

Jeager LeCoultre, now we're talking. I have one from the 50s that still works great and has a mechanical alarm. A tiny hammer bangs against the case. State of the art in it's time.
  • Reply 95 of 191
    solipsismx wrote: »
    chadmatic wrote: »
    Not a good analogy in my opinion. There are so many great watches out there, but smartphones, not so much... And if we are talking about Swiss watches, there are plenty of watches in that price and quality category that I would choose over a Rolex.

So you think the quote would be better if Munster researched what he thought was the very best watch maker, bar none, and used some obscure name that no one had heard of? How does using unrecognizable names that need to be researched by all buy the very few and explained to nearly everyone make a quote better?

"Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said while the iPhone 5 is like an IWC, many competing phones "feel more like cheaper Huangpu-brand watches."

Or: The iPhone 5 is like an AAPL among a sea of MSFTs...

Whenever I buy any iPhones, I try to buy some AAPLs to keep them company... Each keeps the other happy and helps make them possible.
  • Reply 96 of 191
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    So I am a troll just because I think apple could have done better with the iphone 5?

No. You're a troll because your post was clear flame bait and full of inaccuracies. Your claim that the iPhone 5 is the same as the iPhone 4 except for the screen size, for example, is wrong.

Furthermore, what makes you think that your claim has any merit? You think Apple could have done better? So you know more about phone development and manufacturing than Apple? Apple has shown an incredible ability to produce phones that are in high demand and which are very well received by the market. The entire industry seems to want to follow Apple most of the time. So what makes your opinion worth anything?
  • Reply 97 of 191
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Although not as well understood an appropriate analogy would be a Rolex among a sea of fake Rolexes like the ones illegal street vendors sell down by Battery Park. A Timex is a legitimate watch which should not be compared to Android phones.

• Reply 98 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

The average person doesn't know how well a rolex can tell time, nor are the interested – and come on, really? The iPhone DESERVES a better analogy? As a known fanboy for the last almost 20 years, even I know it's just a "thing", not a person. It hasn't been "disrespected" by this unofficial comment by a third party. Everyone up in arms about the Rolex thing need to step back and chill for a minute. iPhone's honour hasn't been challenged… put the pistols away.

de·serve

?[dih-zurv]  Show IPA verb, de·served,de·serv·ing.

verb (used with object)

to merit, be qualified for, or have a claim to (reward,assistance, punishment, etc.) because of actions, qualities,or situation: to deserve exile; to deserve charity; a theory thatdeserves consideration.

• Reply 99 of 191
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Ok, the Roll Royce amongst (name your own mass produced and popular car here) then? /smile

FYI Rolls Royce is not a mass produced car.

There's a Bentley for those who are diffident about owning a Rolls-Royce.

Dictated, unedited, on my iPad.
  • Reply 100 of 191
    Whenever I need to know the exact time I look at my iPhone!