Comments

• Reply 121 of 191
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I think it's a great analogy.

There's iPhone. And then there's everything else. He nailed it.

I agree that iPhone is in a class of it's own, but Rolex is not, not even close!

But in the public vernacular, it is.

• Reply 122 of 191
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    I think it's a reasonable comment. While inside the "tech bubble" geek-y world, the raw specs of the iPh5 don't really stand out, I think for the average consumer, if you compare a metal-and-glass iPh5 in your hand and compare it to the plastic-y bigger-but-lower-quality-screen competition, it will say... "quality"? "style"? Maybe even a touch of snob appeal.

Rolex/Timex. Lexus/Toyota. The differences to the shopper are rarely in the tech specs.
  • Reply 123 of 191
    Let's forget that courts around the world (apart from judges in South Korea and Japan) are finding Samsung to have ripped Apple off and stolen their technology in their new phones. Forget all that for a minute.

Samsung phones and iPhones are both assembled in China. But the profits each phone generate is a totally different story. Profits from Samsung phones sold in the United States go back to South Korea to be taxed by South Korea and to benefit all South Koreans. Profits from iPhones sold in the United States are taxed by our Government and benefit all Americans.

I am an American, and personally I prefer to buy American. Buy Apple.
  • Reply 124 of 191
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But it's just a stretched 4S with an ugly two toned back. If Steve were alive he would have thrown this in the rubbish bin at first sight. /s

Oh, please.  Supposedly, Jobs DID in fact have a hand in designing the iPhone 5.  iPhone designs are going to continue to become more and more minimal.  I think that's excellent, and I'm looking forward to having my iPhone 5 delivered on the 21st.  I passed on the 4S since I didn't see it as enough of an upgrade from my 4.  I thought it'd be better to hold out for an iPhone 5, and I'm glad I did.

I've already seen a few great apps announce they'll soon be iPhone 5 ready (MindNode, for example).
  • Reply 125 of 191

Rolex?  Made-in-China Rolex means only one thing.  ROLF

• Reply 126 of 191
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    That may be true for that particular post, but, I'm a huge fan of the iPhone, and I am underwhelmed by this offering. To me, it is what the iPhone 4S should have been.
    Nevertheless, it is not something that compels me to upgrade my iPhone 4 (no S). I'll wait for the 5S or 6 next year.

I fully understand that. But I was responding to the "only a larger screen" comment on the part of that poster.

I am weighing my options as well. I want to see what it is like before committing to a two year contract. I also want to wait for the accessory market to catch up.
  • Reply 127 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

They could have advertised it as "four to five times a 1980 60M$ Cray-1, in your hand"

Yeah, that really rolls off the tongue!

Can you make it into a jingle for us???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Cray

Quote:

When asked what kind of CAD tools he used for the Cray-1, Cray said that he liked #3 pencils with quad paper pads. Cray recommended using the backs of the pages so that the lines were not so dominant. When he was told that Apple Computer had just bought a Cray to help design the next Apple Macintosh, Cray commented that he had just bought a Macintosh to design the next Cray.[8]

[edit]

• Reply 128 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Rolex?  Made-in-China Rolex means only one thing.  ROLF

??

Made in China:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/09/iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey.html

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/07/iphone-customer-satisfaction-bests-rivals-jd-power/

• Reply 129 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Oh, please.  Supposedly, Jobs DID in fact have a hand in designing the iPhone 5.  iPhone designs are going to continue to become more and more minimal.  I think that's excellent, and I'm looking forward to having my iPhone 5 delivered on the 21st.  I passed on the 4S since I didn't see it as enough of an upgrade from my 4.  I thought it'd be better to hold out for an iPhone 5, and I'm glad I did.

I've already seen a few great apps announce they'll soon be iPhone 5 ready (MindNode, for example).

You missed his "/s" tag.

• Reply 130 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not if you know about time pieces. Everyone knows Rolex because they advertise heavily but there are plenty of better built watches and some are even less expensive than a Rolex.

But maybe that was his point, the 'perception' of quality. I doubt it though. If I was going to choose a watch to compare, I would choose OCEANUS. Very modern...atomic clock radio adjusted time etc. Very high quality build AND has tech  (none if that self winding crap... old school).

• Reply 131 of 191

Hey, wait a minute, was a new Xcode pushed out so that applications can be made for the new resolution?

• Reply 132 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

That may be true for that particular post, but, I'm a huge fan of the iPhone, and I am underwhelmed by this offering. To me, it is what the iPhone 4S should have been.

Nevertheless, it is not something that compels me to upgrade my iPhone 4 (no S). I'll wait for the 5S or 6 next year.

The reality is many of the improved features will not be used by most consumers. I just drove up the entire west coast on the major interstate, and rarely had 3G on AT&T, much less LTE on Verizon (makes me wonder how AT&T thinks its going to retire 2G). <snip>

Well, I can't comment on Verizon, but LTE on my iPad 3 gives me data coverage in a lot of areas where I could not get 3G coverage here in LA. Plus, I just drove up I-5 to SF over Labor Day and had LTE most of the way. Considering the growing urbanization of population trends, I am not sure that you should discount that a large number of the people upgrading are in major metropolitan cities where LTE is already available and is continuing to be built out.

<snip>

I also don't think the metal back is going to be more durable than the glass. Dropping the phone is still going to cause damage in much the same way as dropping the original iPhone did. I had only a few minor slips and ended up with some major dents in the metal case, and cracks in the front glass, even though it never landed on the front. Unlike plastic, there is no give on the case, so the shock is transferred full force, in some cases intensified, throughout the phone.<snip>

<snip>

Lengthening the iPhone holds absolutely no interest for me. I don't want my phone bigger ... I want it smaller. Take the iPhone 4, put it in a metal case, trim the top and bottom bezel to as narrow as practical (get rid of that big honking home button to do it -- see the new Nano), and that's an improvement in mobile smartphones. Hopefully Apple will continue to offer the 4S form factor, updated and revised as necessary, and essentially offering two size choices going forward. However, knowing Apple I will not hold my breath.<snip>

I think you are going to have to actually see the 4 and the 5 side-by-side before you make this judgement. I think the size difference is negligible but the form factor appreciable when using the iPhone as a media consumption device. I agree that I would love a phone that is nothing more than a block the size of the current nano, especially since I use a bluetooth headset and also carry an iPad so I really don't need a phone as a consumption device, but since no company considers that to be a marketable form factor, I would just as soon have a wider 16x9 screen.

<snip> Sorry. Not a troll. Just being pragmatic, which I realize does not represent most of the iOS fan community. I've been told that Texas Instruments employees are poised to replace all of their corporate contract iPhone 4S with early termination fees in order to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I can only shake my head, because doing that is a luxury, which to me seems totally unjustified by the improvements of the 5.<snip>

TI is based in Dallas, and that is where Metro PCS has their VoLTE network in place, and is likely where Verizon will do (or already is doing) their VoLTE testing. TI is obviously looking at moving voice communications out of analog technology which should improve call quality and reliability.

• Reply 133 of 191
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    But maybe that was his point, the 'perception' of quality. I doubt it though. If I was going to choose a watch to compare, I would choose OCEANUS. Very modern...atomic clock radio adjusted time etc. Very high quality build AND has tech  (none if that self winding crap... old school).

When your battery dies my self winding crap will still be working.
  • Reply 134 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

de·serve

?[dih-zurv]  Show IPA verb, de·served,de·serv·ing.

verb (used with object)

to merit, be qualified for, or have a claim to (reward,assistance, punishment, etc.) because of actions, qualities,or situation: to deserve exile; to deserve charity; a theory thatdeserves consideration.

Um, thanks? I don't understand why you posted this. I know what the word mean, I used it. I didn't mean the word was used contrary to grammatical rules... just that you were being overly dramatic in that the iPhone should somehow have a vaulted level of respect when being compared to a Rolex. It's silly, petty and to be honest - no one asked you what you thought of the Rolex. 

• Reply 135 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, wait a minute, was a new Xcode pushed out so that applications can be made for the new resolution?

Yes, XCode 4.5 GM and the iOS 6 GM.

• Reply 136 of 191
    Come on even apple fans liked what nokia presented with the 920. I think this shows how biased this person really is. I have an iphone 4s and just a screen size change will not make me switch.

Okay, how about the thinner design? LTE? The improved display quality? The improved camera? The metal back? The improved wireless performance, both cellular and wifi? How about the improved audio performance? Or the overall faster performance of the unit? You're right, none of those things are singularly worth it, but putting them all together makes for one hell of a phone.
  • Reply 137 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see sarcasm is lost on you too.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm:

Quote:

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt",[1] usually conveyed through irony or understatement

What you said wasn't sarcasm, there was nothing to convey it as such.  For an example of sarcasm see the first line of my reply.

• Reply 138 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Some will say this is just another iPhone. Some are outraged at the price of a Tiffany's engagement ring. They look at the high quality stones & workmanship through a loop & say, "so?" They then buy a cheaper ring elseware. "Honey, why is my finger green?" "Hey, it's a good ring & I got a great deal." Tthere are differences.

Not to get all off topic here, but your analogy irked me, and is not akin to Apple at all. Tiffany sells good quality diamond rings, yes.... but.... if you do a little research and shop around, you can actually find a better quality diamond for a lot better price. You pay ALOT for the Tiffany name, and the whole Tiffany champaign experience, but at the end of the day you're overpaying for what you get. Don't believe me? Try for yourself. Go to Tiffany's and find a diamond ring you like, then look at the GIA certificate. Then go to Bluenile, or James Allen and find the same speced diamond, also GIA certified, and be amazed at the price savings.

On the flip side, what munster is saying is you get the best phone, for the same price as everything else.

/end rant

• Reply 139 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You missed his "/s" tag.

Ah, I see.  Let me try:

"The sky is blue. /s"

"The economy is in dire shape right now. /s"

"Samsung is handily beating Apple in the smartphone race. /s"

"The universe's expansion is expected to reverse and ultimately collapse in a big crunch. /s"

"If you touch her again I'm going to kill you! /s"

"I have a bomb strapped to my chest and I will detonate it in 30 minutes unless my demands are met! /s"

Are any of these examples of sarcasm just because there's an "/s" on the end?  I don't think so!

If you have to explicitly state that something is sarcasm then it isn't sarcasm.

• Reply 140 of 191
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kforcezero wrote: »
    Ah, I see.  Let me try:

"The sky is blue. /s"
    "The economy is in dire shape right now. /s"
    "Samsung is handily beating Apple in the smartphone race. /s"
    "The universe's expansion is expected to reverse and ultimately collapse in a big crunch. /s"
    "If you touch her again I'm going to kill you! /s"
    "I have a bomb strapped to my chest and I will detonate it in 30 minutes unless my demands are met! /s"

Are any of these examples of sarcasm just because there's an "/s" on the end?  I don't think so!

If you have to explicitly state that something is sarcasm then it isn't sarcasm.

Wrong. Sarcasm is hard to convey on a forum like this and it's useful to tag it so that it's clear.

Not everything with /s after it is sarcasm - but no one ever suggested that it was. But it is perfectly reasonable to add /s to a sarcastic comment just to make your position clear.