Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    Mine iPhone4 says 5.1.1 is up to date :( - Atlanta GA
  • Reply 22 of 148
    Android has Evi...sort of like Siri.
  • Reply 23 of 148
    I am installing now. I had 4.6 GB free on my 32gb 4S. I am wondering how much free space I will have after I am upgraded.
  • Reply 24 of 148
    lalaruza wrote: »
    Android has Siri now? Cool! LOL
    Android has Google now which is in many ways better than siri and in some ways not as good. I love Google now so far. It is one of the most useful things my phone will do. It's transit info is amazing and the sports reports are time saving. Another plus is how it plugs into the Google ecosystem when I search movie theater times and locations on my computer, my phone will update Google now to have the directions already in it
  • Reply 25 of 148
    Available in UK as well but reaaaaall sloooooow... Flits between "1 hour remaining"
  • Reply 26 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falkirk81 View Post

Can someone who installs this update confirm the build number? Same as GM released last week?

The official release of iOS 6 is the same build as GM - 10A403

• Reply 27 of 148

I still have a few minutes left to go on the download, so let me spend that time productively, by bashing Android of course!

Here we have a major iOS update, and Apple users all over the globe that own the qualifying devices are able to download it and install it, even on devices that are years old! In no time, most Apple iOS users will be on the latest and greatest OS with very little effort.

Meanwhile in Android land, a fragmented, scary place, plagued by malware and second rate software, Fandroids are unable to update their devices. Android companies promise updates, but usually, these are broken promises and Android users are stuck, sitting around with their ancient devices running a crappy, old OS. Some Android devices that have been promised updates never get them!image Updates do not come from a central source, they come from shitty carriers, and the whole system is a complete mess!

When you buy an Apple iOS product, you know that your device will be good for at least a few years, getting all of the newest OS updates and your device will be current. With Android, you are basically abandoned by the time that they have taken your money as soon as you've paid for the device. 

My iOS update is almost done, and so is my Android bashing, for the moment! image

• Reply 28 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Nothing here yet in NYC.

I guess it's that whole "Saving The Best For Last" thing, you know ....

*sniff*

I don't think it's all about location. I'm in NYC and I am almost done downloading.

Maybe Apple goes by device numbers or something, and not location.

• Reply 29 of 148

mine went from 7 min remaining to 20 min and then back down to 6min ... its all over the place. 

• Reply 30 of 148

Anyone know when the Passbook store will go live? That is really the only thing I am waiting for today. Been on the GM release for a while so I am ready to start using passbook!

• Reply 31 of 148

uhoh...

started download here in new england at about 1:10 and said "estimated 14 mins".

its been stuck on "less than 1 minute" for about 15minutes now.

• Reply 32 of 148
    To use passbook. Download 10.8.2 update, just released. Add from a Mac.
  • Reply 33 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I still have a few minutes left to go on the download, so let me spend that time productively, by bashing Android of course!

Here we have a major iOS update, and Apple users all over the globe that own the qualifying devices are able to download it and install it, even on devices that are years old! In no time, most Apple iOS users will be on the latest and greatest OS with very little effort.

Meanwhile in Android land, a fragmented, scary place, plagued by malware and second rate software, Fandroids are unable to update their devices. Android companies promise updates, but usually, these are broken promises and Android users are stuck, sitting around with their ancient devices running a crappy, old OS. Some Android devices that have been promised updates never get them!image Updates do not come from a central source, they come from shitty carriers, and the whole system is a complete mess!

When you buy an Apple iOS product, you know that your device will be good for at least a few years, getting all of the newest OS updates and your device will be current. With Android, you are basically abandoned by the time that they have taken your money as soon as you've paid for the device. 

My iOS update is almost done, and so is my Android bashing, for the moment! image

This is the main reason why I went with Apple.  They may take a little bit to catchup so to speak, but when they do have a feature that others had on the market for 6 months and even a year in some cases .. they have perfected it and as the Late Great Steve Jobs would say ... "It Just Works"  This is why Apple takes it time and why Androidians get a rushed product that is glitchy and not very good. 

• Reply 34 of 148
    Ugh. Download got half way and then failed. At a coffee shop, and I suspect the internet here is overburdened.

Attempt number 2, here we go.
  • Reply 35 of 148

OK for all those doing an update now, this is REALLY IMPORTANT.

We don't need to hear every single update on how it's going.  Whether it's stuck downloading, how long it has taken, etc etc etc.  We all should know by now that these things vary from person to person, place to place.  If something strange happens, or doesn't happen quickly enough, put the device down for 30 minutes before you post.  Then, when and if you do still have a problem, post in the support forum, not in the news forum. 

That is all.

• Reply 36 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumashow View Post

To use passbook. Download 10.8.2 update, just released. Add from a Mac.

I am already on 10.8.2…. I am talking about the app store on iOS 6 for passbook It has not gone live yet for me. My OS X Version makes no difference…

• Reply 37 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

We don't need to hear every single update on how it's going.  Whether it's stuck downloading, how long it has taken, etc etc etc.  We all should know by now that these things vary from person to person, place to place.  If something strange happens, or doesn't happen quickly enough, put the device down for 30 minutes before you post.  Then, when and if you do still have a problem, post in the support forum, not in the news forum. 

That is all.

Mine says preparing now!

• Reply 38 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That is all.

glad you explained the rules for us...

feel better?

• Reply 39 of 148
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Just make sure you have 2.5GB free. I had to do some cleaning of unused apps, videos, and picts to make room. 

• Reply 40 of 148

I just finished updating OTA in the East Bay (California). It was a smooth and straight forward process. iOS 6.0 Build 10A403.