Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 148
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    I doubt I'm going to upgrade just yet. My 5 is on order and my iPhone 4 prob doesn't have the space anyway.
  • Reply 42 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

OK for all those doing an update now, this is REALLY IMPORTANT.

My update just finished downloading, it ended up taking around 15 minutes. 

The iPad 3 has just auto-rebooted, and it's now on the screen where there is an Apple logo, and there is a progress bar underneath that. So far, it's been on that screen for around 2 minutes, and I estimate that there is still a couple of minutes to go, the progress bar is about half way done.

I will keep you updated on any further progress.

• Reply 43 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

REALLY IMPORTANT.

Mine has finished downloading. Just wanted to let you know in case you were interested.

• Reply 44 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

uhoh...

started download here in new england at about 1:10 and said "estimated 14 mins".

its been stuck on "less than 1 minute" for about 15minutes now.

Be patient, ham_bone.  Mine more or less did the same thing, so I went to take a shower, and when I came back to the phone, it

s now on the screen with an Apple symbol and the progress meter, doing it's thing.

• Reply 45 of 148
    "Apple wrote:
    [" android /152723/apple-launches-ios-6-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch#post_2193070"]I still have a few minutes left to go on the download, so let me spend that time productively, by bashing Android of course!

Here we have a major iOS update, and Apple users all over the globe that own the qualifying devices are able to download it and install it, even on devices that are years old! In no time, most Apple iOS users will be on the latest and greatest OS with very little effort.

Meanwhile in Android land, a fragmented, scary place, plagued by malware and second rate software, Fandroids are unable to update their devices. Android companies promise updates, but usually, these are broken promises and Android users are stuck, sitting around with their ancient devices running a crappy, old OS. Some Android devices that have been promised updates never get them!:lol:  Updates do not come from a central source, they come from shitty carriers, and the whole system is a complete mess!

When you buy an Apple iOS product, you know that your device will be good for at least a few years, getting all of the newest OS updates and your device will be current. With Android, you are basically abandoned by the time that they have taken your money as soon as you've paid for the device. 

My iOS update is almost done, and so is my Android bashing, for the moment! :lol:
    I respect your opinion but I will like to just like to point out a few things to you. While I do not defend the android updates. There are some things that greatly set it apart from Apples ios updates. One of the core differences is the core apps. Where on ios the core apps are updated with the os. On android unless the app required a new api. Generally people with old android phones can still enjoy new features like the recent update in google maps.
  • Reply 46 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I still have a few minutes left to go on the download, so let me spend that time productively, by bashing Android of course!

Here we have a major iOS update, and Apple users all over the globe that own the qualifying devices are able to download it and install it, even on devices that are years old! In no time, most Apple iOS users will be on the latest and greatest OS with very little effort.

Meanwhile in Android land, a fragmented, scary place, plagued by malware and second rate software, Fandroids are unable to update their devices. Android companies promise updates, but usually, these are broken promises and Android users are stuck, sitting around with their ancient devices running a crappy, old OS. Some Android devices that have been promised updates never get them!image Updates do not come from a central source, they come from shitty carriers, and the whole system is a complete mess!

When you buy an Apple iOS product, you know that your device will be good for at least a few years, getting all of the newest OS updates and your device will be current. With Android, you are basically abandoned by the time that they have taken your money as soon as you've paid for the device. 

My iOS update is almost done, and so is my Android bashing, for the moment! image

HAHAHA!  I love it!

• Reply 47 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt1968 View Post

Be patient, ham_bone.  Mine more or less did the same thing, so I went to take a shower, and when I came back to the phone, it

s now on the screen with an Apple symbol and the progress meter, doing it's thing.

thanks... says "preparing update" for about 10 mins now. about 45 mins since starting but i imagine there are millions of people doing the same thing right now. i am usually not one to jump on an os upgrade but i have been really anticipating this one. i am under contract for another year so i will have to wait for the 5s before i get a new phone.

• Reply 48 of 148

just finished the download and install, now it is asking me to connect to itunes.  i thought all updates where OTA, i'm stuck at work with no access to itunes and/or my computer to get my backup.  now my phone is a paperweight!!

• Reply 49 of 148
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I respect your opinion but I will like to just like to point out a few things to you. While I do not defend the android updates. There are some things that greatly set it apart from Apples ios updates. One of the core differences is the core apps. Where on ios the core apps are updated with the os. On android unless the app required a new api. Generally people with old android phones can still enjoy new features like the recent update in google maps.

They can enjoy SOME features in existing apps. That does not change the facts:

1. Most Android users will never get security updates.

2. Most Android users will never get OS bug fixes.

3. Most Android users will never get any new OS features (i.e,, not part of an application).

4. Most Android users will never get access to any new apps which require a more recent version of the OS.

Apple users will get all of the above for years (although #3 is only partially true since it is limited to features that the hardware will properly support).

Just how in the world can you possibly pretend that Android is anywhere near as good in this respect?
  • Reply 50 of 148
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I didn't know that core apps on Android were installed separately from the OS.

However, most of my critique has to do with Android fans claiming that "oh, the lag is no big deal, or it will be smoother soon, because it will be fixed in ICS or Jellybean etc." They've been saying that since the very beginning. That was what I was mainly referring to, OS updates. I remember people saying how Honeycomb was supposed to be the killer tablet OS, and we all know how that worked out. Android users always have to look into the future for some possible fix, because the present day just isn't cutting it, IMO.

• Reply 51 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Stale. No new features. Except those features that Android has had for decades."

Guess the Apple TV will have to wait.

"I see you have constructed a new sarcasm module. Your skills are complete."

• Reply 52 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Finished. Booted up to iOS 6

• Reply 53 of 148

I just downloaded 6.0 on my iPad 3. Where's passbook????

• Reply 54 of 148
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just how in the world can you possibly pretend that Android is anywhere near as good in this respect?

Because they ARE pretending....

• Reply 55 of 148

I now have SIRI on my iPad 3!

And I obviously haven't gone through all 200 new features yet, but I notice a "do not disturb" option in preferences. That seems useful.

• Reply 56 of 148

connected to a coworkers itunes, need to restore now to finish install. at least i can get my phone working.

• Reply 57 of 148
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

It would be useful to have a built in download manager for itunes so when these iOS updates get cut off in the download process, one does NOT have to start over from the beginning....

• Reply 58 of 148
    While its downloading OTA I'm typing this as it's doing it in the background!
  • Reply 59 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

I just downloaded 6.0 on my iPad 3. Where's passbook????

There is none I believe.

Maybe Apple thinks that people walk around with an iPhone in their pocket instead of an iPad? Or maybe it's like SIRI, and passbook will eventually be released for the iPad, but just not yet.

• Reply 60 of 148

Let us know if it runs well on the iPod Touch 4G.

I installed iOS 4 on my iPod Touch 2G and that was a real mistake.