Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 148
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Yeah, I'm using the standard M(app) - see what I did there?

Yep. image

• Reply 82 of 148
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

Not for iPad.. as I said.

The iphone ver won't install on the ipad?  If it does, video should be just as good on the ipad...

• Reply 83 of 148

great... crashed my phone and now i have to restore...anyone else?

• Reply 84 of 148
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The 3D maps are like seeing a painting almost. I like it. 

Here's a snapshot of an Apple store in my city that I just took.

• Reply 85 of 148
    icoco3 wrote: »
    The iphone ver won't install on the ipad?  If it does, video should be just as good on the ipad...

The iPhone version does not use the iPad screen space, cannot run properly in landscape on ipad, etc. It's not optimized for iPad. I use the iPad Youtube app all the time and do not with to downgrade that experience. That's why I am asking.
  • Reply 86 of 148
    icoco3 wrote: »

The iPhone version does not use the iPad screen space, cannot run properly in landscape on ipad, etc. It's not optimized for iPad. I use the iPad Youtube app all the time and do not with to downgrade that experience. That's why I am asking.
  • Reply 87 of 148

Can someone explain why I have to clear 2.7 GB on my new iPad in order to download the new software which is less than 1 GB?

• Reply 88 of 148
    Space to roll-back a failed software upgrade?
  • Reply 89 of 148
    thehecta wrote: »
    Can someone explain why I have to clear 2.7 GB on my new iPad in order to download the new software which is less than 1 GB?

Its compressed so when the update starts, the files will be extracted and altogether it will be around 2.7 GB of space needed.
  • Reply 90 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Its compressed so when the update starts, the files will be extracted and altogether it will be around 2.7 GB of space needed.

Okay that makes sense. Thanks!

• Reply 91 of 148

I'm liking it so far.  The upgrade was smooth and easy as they always seem to be.

Safari seems to be snappier, though having really got to like the Mercury browser, I'm not sure I'm ready to move back to Safari.

The Maps application I like a great deal.  From the point of view of it being a map, it's much better than Google, with it being clearer and more readable.  I really like that.  I don't like the fact that when you select a transit search it just sends you to a screen that says there are No Matches in the App store.  Obviously I'm interested to see what apps come along to solve that, but as of right now, that is a big step backwards.  What I really like though is the integration with Yelp.  No more crappy Sponsored Links on the map.  While Yelp has some serious weaknesses (due to the number of young people who use it, places that are cheap do disproportionally well), it's a great add.

Love that I can send someone a message when I can't take a call.  Just happened in a meeting - it's great!

• Reply 92 of 148
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple 2 wrote: »

LL

The detail is definitely impressive.

You can read the brand names on the air conditioning units on the top of buildings!

Just kidding, again.
  • Reply 93 of 148
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah but with the wool of the flyover view removed from one's eyes, the maps app reveals itself to be what it really is which is a sucky poorly designed POS (IMO of course). 

For me, not only is it slower than Google maps it's really poorly designed.  For my uses it's a complete sh*t-fest.  The entire app is basically slanted towards people in cars.  The turn by turn directions are not only designed with skeuomorphic road signs like you'd see from your (American) car, they are completely ridiculous for walking directions.  "Turn right and go 20 metres" and then "go straight for ten metres" is just silly.  You don't need the same kind of turn by turn for walking as you do for driving.  

Also, it took me fifteen minutes to even *find* a way to have the thing give me walking directions instead of car directions.  This is because instead of doing it the old way and showing the car/person/transit button *after* the route is drawn, you now have to pick it *before* you ask for the route directions.  The default is for cars of course, so I'm certain that people will own this thing for many months without ever discovering that it has (poor, ugly), walking directions in it.

To get transit directions, it just throws you into the app store where some shyster has put up a three dollar app for "transit directions" that will no doubt rape a few thousand wallets over the next few weeks.  No way I'm going to bite at that, so ... basically no transit directions. 

iOS 6 has seemingly buggered up my touch screen also on both my phone and my iPad.  The multitouch gestures are now harder to do, any kind of scrolling or navigation is slower and jerkier (and this after a reboot and removal of about ten Gigs of stuff to free up space).  

The clock app has not only lost all my city settings and defaulted back to the very unhelpful and useless default selection, it won't let me input my old cities again because it can't find them!  This is likely yet another failure of the maps application.  I'm not talking remote cities either.  These are big cities in Canada and the UK and iOS 6 can't find them to add to the world clock app.  What a total POS.  

I should have realised when I saw they haven't changed the icon for it, that there would be a certain lack of polish on the maps app.  

• Reply 94 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

.... a certain lack of polish on the maps app.  

I agree with that. It does look somewhat unpolished.

But the navigation is brilliant.

• Reply 95 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The clock app has not only lost all my city settings and defaulted back to the very unhelpful and useless default selection, it won't let me input my old cities again because it can't find them!  This is likely yet another failure of the maps application.  I'm not talking remote cities either.  These are big cities in Canada and the UK and iOS 6 can't find them to add to the world clock app.  What a total POS.  

Weather app same deal. It can no longer find my city in Central America.

• Reply 96 of 148
    To iPad owners who have upgraded: is the youtube app gone?

(and yes, I know there is a iPhone-specific app)
  • Reply 97 of 148

To iPad owners who have upgraded: is the youtube app gone?

Yes.

• Reply 98 of 148
    You have upgraded?
  • Reply 99 of 148

You have upgraded?

Can't (first gen), but the image specifically shows no app.

• Reply 100 of 148
    Geeesh...I was looking for actual confirmation from users who have upgraded and not old promo pictures.