Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters

Comments

• Reply 41 of 148
    Can you imagine Mercedes making a commercial that mocks BMW customers in order to persuade them to buy a Benz? Hyundai perhaps yes. Not even VW would stoop that low.
  • Reply 42 of 148

Plenty has been said about most of my criticisms of this pathetic ad by others in this thread, so I will just add this new bit:

Normal people, under normal circumstances, do not and will not use NFC to share songs like Samsung loves to say they can. It's not a thing. The Galaxy S3 is what happens when you let engineers design the phone and its features instead of just engineering it. Geeky and out of touch with the real world (See also: Google+). The iPhone 5 is what happens when the designers design and the engineers engineer.

• Reply 43 of 148

Hey iPhone users! You're stupid. You should use our phone instead.

Sincerely, Samsung

Yep, that will get the hundreds of millions of people dying to get an iPhone 5 to switch

• Reply 44 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by SN954 View Post

Come on people. That ad is pretty funny. I have a 5 on order but I still like the ad.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I agree it's pretty funny. I laughed my butt off... At Samesung!

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 45 of 148

Originally Posted by cnraghu View Post

Great Samsung copied Apple in Ads too... Apple did exact thing with Mac vs PC.

Nope. Try again.

• Reply 46 of 148
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Mom! Dad!

Indeed, if the young adult had made better life decisions, he wouldn't be line-sitting for his parents... and he wouldn't have bought a Samsung.

• Reply 47 of 148
    How sad. Lol, another S-Ad.
  • Reply 48 of 148
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    bwana_dik wrote: »
    I was once taught that making fun of potential customers is never a good marketing strategy.

This was my understanding too. Naming the competitor is giving the competitor air time, and weakens your message. At the very least, you tread carefully.
  • Reply 49 of 148
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

If Samsung is so great, why is ATT offering $100 instant rebates on the SIII's and many other Samsung phones??  Let Samsung stand toe-to-toe and see what people choose.  They released the SIII at a time when people started waiting for the next iphone before upgrading thus whatever good sales they had.

• Reply 50 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

If Samsung is so great, why is ATT offering $100 instant rebates on the SIII's and many other Samsung phones??  Let Samsung stand toe-to-toe and see what people choose.  They released the SIII at a time when people started waiting for the next iphone before upgrading thus whatever good sales they had.

I dunno. Why are carriers lining up to give iPhone 5 away for free?

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5

• Reply 51 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Try again.

You can deny all you want... 

• Reply 52 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

The ad is meant to be simple to understand, it actually does what is intended which is to lure away customers who like simplicity, apple's number one casual consumer base. The hardcore will never switch from watching an ad like this, it'll just irritate them.

Sorry I have to disagree. This is a Samsung preemptive measure to try to limit the number of defectors from their platform to Apple. If you were trying to lure customers away from Apple, insulting them as stupid line waiters is not an effective means of accomplishing that.

• Reply 53 of 148

The real test would be to have someone like the Jimmy Kimmel show bring out a Galaxy S3 on Sept 21 to an Apple Store and see what the REAL reaction would be of customers waiting in line...

• Reply 54 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Indeed, if the young adult had made better life decisions, he wouldn't be line-sitting for his parents... and he wouldn't have bought a Samsung.

You could ask your grandkids to hold your spot if your kids are too busy.

• Reply 55 of 148

Originally Posted by cnraghu View Post

You can deny all you want... 

Because what you're saying is a complete and utter lie. Apple did not diminish or demean the users of PCs, simply the platform.

Go watch every single one of them again. Prove me wrong.

• Reply 56 of 148
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I dunno. Why are carriers lining up to give iPhone 5 away for free?

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5

Do home phone users still pay to call cell phones over there?  I had an Orange phone mid 90's over there...

• Reply 57 of 148
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    cnraghu wrote: »
    Great Samsung copied Apple in Ads too... Apple did exact thing with Mac vs PC.

Apple's ads said the PC was stupid. Samsung ads say Apple's customers are stupid. I think it is a significant distinction. Do you?
  • Reply 58 of 148
    Unfortunately, Samsung's anti-Apple advertisements are working well for them. The best Android-based smartphone brand is easily HTC yet HTC struggles against Samsung which is exactly why we know that anyone who purchases Samsung smartphones is buying their marketing. Samsung is a brand built almost entirely on marketing although we may not like their marketing strategy it has been successful.
    The irony is that Samsung fans call Apple fans "sheep" and refer to the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. Anyone who thinks Samsung is the best Android-based smartphone manufacturer is clearly everything they believe us to be.
    I am actually excited to see if HTC gets another shot at the Nexus brand. The HTC Nexus One was easily the best Android-based smartphone to date (as compared to the competition at the time).

I agree, even though the ad shows the people that line up it's not directed at them, it's for those on the fence that will walk into a ATT, VZW, or Sprint store on Friday or after and find that there are no iPhone 5s available. They might just end up going home with a SGS lll instead.
  • Reply 59 of 148

Most of us here are impervious to this kind of advertising because we have reasons to prefer Apple products, may they be good or bad, thought through or superficial. These ads are not at all designed to drag us to Samsung. They are designed for the rest of the population, people who have feature phones, who are "late adopters" and would like a smartphone but are not willing to go against the trend or set a new one.

What happended before with these waiting lines was a buzz about new Apple products that created curiosity and desire from others than early adopters. This will still happen and Samsung knows it. They just want to remove the "coolness" that goes with getting the phone first. We see waiting in line as a collateral damage to getting the phone we chose and want first. They can't do that for their phones so they want to make sure nobody else will join the line by making it seem moronic. They say: if you wait in line for a new Apple product, you are one of the few weirdos who want the new product because it's new, not because it's better. If you go with Apple, you are a geek. 

I'm not saying this is true (that Apple products are not better) but that this type of add is probably very effective for people who are afraid to look like fools while waiting in line (Sammy doesn't mention the huge majority of people who will receive their phones lazily at their home via FedEx/UPS of course).

The risk I see is to draw customers away from Apple (and other Android makers) but not have much more to offer in the end and when they realize that, these customers will gladly jump ship, and for good. But by that time, they will have effectively sucked a good proportion of Android buyers and will gain leverage against Google for newest versions of the OS, which may explain why Motorola was bought at such high a price by Google.

Time will tell... what do you think?

• Reply 60 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dear mother of frick. It's basically a list of all the trolls' arguments.That proves one of two things (and maybe both):

1. Samsung is paying more trolls than they've been discovered to have paid.

2. Trolls actually believe the crap they spew.

It's called energizing your base. See Politics the last 200 years.