Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters

Comments

• Reply 101 of 148

Originally Posted by Sabanator View Post

Fact is Apple needs Samsung and Samsung needs Apple. Competition creates excellence!

And when Samsung actually starts to compete, let us know. Right now, Apple "needs" Samsung insofar as the latter takes plans, copies them to the letter, and turns them into internal components for the former.

• Reply 102 of 148
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152726/samsungs-latest-tv-ad-targets-iphone-5-apple-line-waiters/80#post_2193583"]Samsung Facebook campaign backfires! Samsung are idiots and Fandroids are losers.

LL

Now that's funny
  • Reply 103 of 148

It's kinda how I imagine Dwight Schrute would go about selling you a phone...

• Reply 104 of 148
    Say what you may but these commercials are working for Samsung.

http://www.asymco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Screen-Shot-2012-07-16-at-7-16-9.13.12-AM.png
  • Reply 105 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

macnewsjunkie ... apparently they are using the Mitt Romney playbook

Here we go...Don't forget the snarky Fox News reference too, you people can never leave that one alone either.  Which one of the 47% are you, the victim, the one who needs to be nurse-maided by the government, or the one that doesn't pay taxes?  No wonder you can afford an iPhone.

I normally do not do the political thing, but I tire of the "Holier than Thou" attitude of most leftists.  Express your views at the polls, not here.
  • Reply 106 of 148

Quote:

The one part of the ad that fails miserably is its attempt to paint Apple products as "uncool." It's not easy to maintain being cool YoY while still being the biggest and most popular name in an industry. There are very few examples of this sort of achievement and I can't think of any of them in technology.

* As in people that can only see the very surface of something without understanding any finer points. Id est, those that lack critical thinking skills.

I see the ad as show that Apple products are ordinary and the people that would wait in line for a week are "uncool" or just plain stupid. You're not in line are you?

• Reply 107 of 148

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I normally do not do the political thing, but I tire of the "Holier than Thou" attitude of most leftists.  Express your views at the polls, not here.

And we should all express our views in PO, not here. ????

• Reply 108 of 148
    isteelers wrote: »

And who gets bigger government handouts and pays less taxes than the rich?
  • Reply 109 of 148
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Even Gruber thinks they are effective:

[QUOTE]It’s corny, and they’re playing Pepsi to Apple’s Coke, but I think these are actually effective ads. The thing to keep in mind is that Samsung is not trying to convince would-be iPhone 5 buyers to change their minds. These ads are targeted at people who don’t like Apple; who already agree (with Samsung) that the iPhone 5 is a feat of marketing hype, not engineering and design savvy; and who think that iPhone line-waiters are low-IQ hipster sheep. Samsung isn’t playing for first place, they’re playing for second place — and that’s worked out well for them.[/QUOTE]

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/09/19/samsung-iphone-5
  • Reply 110 of 148
    Very sophomoric of you Samsung... by the way any CEO will give their left n*ts to get this kind of brand loyalty!! Jealousy so on unbecoming...
  • Reply 111 of 148
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And who gets bigger government handouts and pays less taxes than the rich?
    Can all just get along.... Let's agree...... That we all love Technology!! See common ground.. You all are welcome!
  • Reply 112 of 148

My guess is, after reading most of the posts, that Samsung employs a room full of minimum wage teenagers, whose sole job is to troll the most popular mac sites and engage people in inane pissing contests over – wait for it – a phone.

Come on people – if you don’t respond to them, then they have no one to play with.

That’s my 2 cents.

Oh, and I can't remember the last time I needed to watch a video while sending an email. I mean, c'mon!

• Reply 113 of 148
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I question some of those GS3 figures. But If they are accurate then it just proves that Samsung is not the scrappy underdog, they're the school bully.
  • Reply 114 of 148
    jragosta wrote: »
    It's especially strange given an Asian cultural background. In general, Asian cultures respect fitting in with the crowd and not doing anything to draw attention to yourself. In that culture, the people who are buying the phone "that everyone else wants" would be respected, not maligned.

I really doubt that Samsung's Korean advertising department did this commercial. It is done by western agency, and for western market(s).

That it is not too original, I agree. I think it leans a bit on "Get a Mac" adds Apple was doing for ages. It is not completely the same, but sort of evolution of the idea. Apple was more subtle, trying to project respective stereotypical user profiles on machines themselves, though most people outside of Mac users circles really didn't see it like that. Samsung is playing with stereotypical users directly.
  • Reply 115 of 148
    robogobo wrote: »
    Can you imagine Mercedes making a commercial that mocks BMW customers in order to persuade them to buy a Benz? Hyundai perhaps yes. Not even VW would stoop that low.

Actually I've seen recently "Just like a Golf" add which is pretty much there. It is a bit hilarious, I must admit.

• Reply 116 of 148
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I question some of those GS3 figures. But If they are accurate then it just proves that Samsung is not the scrappy underdog, they're the school bully.

It all depends on the purpose of the numbers. When Samsung is trying to convince people how well they're doing and how many people use their product, they hint at huge sales numbers. OTOH, when they're calculating the damages that they have to pay Apple for every shipped phone, suddenly the numbers are much smaller. I wonder why.
    mazda 3s wrote: »

Yes, but note that he agrees that they're not going to convince any Apple users to switch and that they're targeting people who already hate Apple.

Sounds like a bad choice of audiences unless they're convinced that there's no way that they could ever compete (fairly) with Apple and have no hope of converting people unless they hate Apple to start.
  • Reply 117 of 148
    Yeah... Apple is the plucky underdog.
    By your metric... Samsung has already "won"
    So what's with these ads then? Why kick someone when they're down?

So they stay down. Double-tap, in law enforcement slang.

I don't agree that Apple already lost, though. I'm just answering your question. Unit sales numbers are one thing, profits are the other. Mindset as well. App store. Number of other factors.
  • Reply 118 of 148
    wovel wrote: »
    Apple's ads said the PC was stupid. Samsung ads say Apple's customers are stupid. I think it is a significant distinction. Do you?

Apple was using allegory. Hardly a new concept. Well executed, though. But most PC users I know (and talked about this) found them equally amusing and insulting. What Apple wanted to achieve is not neccessarily what Apple achieved, outside of already formed circles of followers.

Samsung's approach is more direct, but also more technically accurate in some ways. They are comparing those specs which, at least in theory, are to their advantage, while avoiding to mention those that arent. Some of Apple adds were downright hilarious lies, albeit funny as hell.
  • Reply 119 of 148
    nikon133 wrote: »
    So they stay down. Double-tap, in law enforcement slang.
    I don't agree that Apple already lost, though. I'm just answering your question. Unit sales numbers are one thing, profits are the other. Mindset as well. App store. Number of other factors.

Oh I know.

The comment I was replying to was going on and on about Samsung's sales numbers... and then finished with "I bet Apple wishes they could sell as many phones"

I was being sarcastic with my response.

You and I both know there are many ways to measure success. I don't think Apple is "losing" at all.
  • Reply 120 of 148
    These Asian clone makers have no imagination. And now HTC is ripping off the Nokia design in their just announced Windows phone. These companies are so pathetic. They think innovation is changing the shade of the color on the design they copied.