Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 148

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because the subsidy is less, so they make more on equally priced phones.

… If the sale price for an off-contract one is the same, and the sale price for an on-contract one is the same… ???

• Reply 142 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then why is the price for high-end Android phones the same as the iPhone? Sounds like they make less money.

Well its two things.  One, the Android phones are often cheaper in price (for reasons of course) - you can buy a top of the line Samsung Galaxy S 3 unlocked at AT&T for $549 and other Android phones are often less than that.  The lowest end iPhone 5 will be $649.

So on contract you pay the same price, because Apple is forcing the Carriers to eat that extra $100 - and that is why the Mobile Carriers try to steer folks to anything but an iPhone...that iPhone is $100 in profits (cream) right off the top before the customer walks out the door.

At some point Apple probably won't be able to command this penalty (that'll be ugly for sure), but for now, the carriers just try to steer folks to other phones if they can.

• Reply 143 of 148
    @yojimbo007

First off, not to split hairs or anything, but "lightyears" is actually a measure of distance. (The distance light is able to travel over the course of a year, which is 9.4605284 × 10^15 meters) It seems you were using it as a measure of time, being that for one phone to be ahead of another in terms of distance would not have any implications on the quality, design, or funtionality of the hardware or software involved. Don't worry, it's quite a common mistake.

Secondly, I do try to remain impartial, but I agree this commercial is in poor taste, and furthermore, is quite antagonistic. I am neither an Apple fanboy, nor anti-Apple. I love great technology in any form it may take, regardless of brand. However, when reading the following:

"Wonder why apple does not tash samsung in their adds.. Simple. They have class and they dont need to trash talk someone else to sell their product."

I can only respond with the following:

Am I the only one who remembers these?
  • Reply 144 of 148

Originally Posted by PhoneGenius64 View Post

I can only respond with the following:

Am I the only one who remembers these?

You're certainly not the only one who erroneously thinks they have anything whatsoever to do with what Samsung is doing, that's for sure.

Samsung mocks the customer. Apple mocks the competitor.

• Reply 145 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then why is the price for high-end Android phones the same as the iPhone? Sounds like they make less money.

Because the OEMs accept lower margins than Apple.  For instance, if Apple's cost on an iPhone 5 is 200 dollars, and HTC's cost on a One X is 250, Apple will sell it to the Carrier for 650, while HTC will sell it to the carrier for 450.  Both will retail for 800, but the carrier is making alot more on the HTC.

• Reply 146 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

And yet, NOBODY waits in line for Samsung phones.

They don't have to. The phone is available everywhere and those that wanted it already are using it.

• Reply 147 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

thank you samsung!

a quicklook at apple sales figures just proves the adage:

every knock is a boost,  and apple accepts the advertising.

Analysts estimate about 6 million Galaxy S III units sold in first few weeks, putting it on track to reach 20 million by the end of Q3.

• Reply 148 of 148

Originally Posted by end user View Post

They don't have to. The phone is available everywhere and those that wanted it already are using it.

If that is the case, they'll never sell another one. Good for them for creating a product no one else wants.