Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 281 of 490

My advise: Get over it!

If the Map doesn't work, you're probably living in the wrong place ;)

Go download another mapping service until Apple inevitably surpass all competition.

• Reply 282 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, now, everyone considers Google Maps the "industry standard", despite the fact that it is still imperfect, mainly because it's what they've gotten used to using. According to the, "That is a terribly silly argument," logic, no one should ever try to produce another mapping service unless, on the first day of it's release it's better than Google Maps in all respects. An impossible task in mapping, so everyone should just give up.

The problem with this line of reasoning is that Apple removed the Map app that users preferred. No one would argue that Apple shouldn't produce their own mapping service if they feel they can do something better or different than current offerings but to eliminate the competition by virtue of 'it's my football and we play by my rules' attitude is a problem. Google Maps should be an option, at least in the interim. Apple can't possibly be so blinded by their own ego to think that their new Maps app is even close to being as full featured and comprehensive as Google Maps was.

Are you certain that apple could have continued to offer the old [Google data driven] Maps app?

If Apple's agreement with Google has expired, and they were were not able to negotiate a new agreement -- Then, legally, Apple had to remove it!

I am curious as to how long Google is contracted to [supply data] to support pre-iOS 6 Maps.  We have some older iPhones and iPads that are not upgradeable to iOS 6.  At some point I expect that the Maps app will be dropped from these devices.

• Reply 283 of 490

I just don't see a 1.0 release that is so messed up as acceptable.  GPS Maps need to be accurate for users and we don't need another excuse for idiots who follow a GPS to the literal extent that they turn onto railroad tracks causing more issues with this.  If Apple was ready with their maps they should have left it out and added it in 6.1 in a few months or done something else.  Having a messed up app from Apple is just not normal, they usually have everything on the mark.

• Reply 284 of 490
    jragosta wrote: »
    Or unless you have no choice.
    Google did not renew the contract. So Apple had a choice:
    a. Do nothing and leave their phone without a map app (unless Google decides to make one - and it would undoubtedly be cluttered with ads and keep track of everywhere you ever went)
    or
    b. Make the best map app they could within the time available and then commit to making it better.
    Apple chose the latter. Would you really rather have had them choose 'a'?
    It's not perfect, but neither was Google (or my car navigation system or my Garmin, for that matter). It's not a terrible app and it's certainly miles ahead of no app - which would have been the alternative.

An honest question is, do we actually know if it was google that opted to not renew the contract?
  • Reply 285 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think Apple has no choice. Google is not adding new features to Google Maps on iOS since iOS 1.0. The so-called Stree View or Public Transit has never been available on iOS.

Google did not write the Map app on iOS, Apple did. The only thing Google did was provide the mapping data. That's it. It's up to Apple to update (or now replace) the app.

Someone in my office pointed me to this. 

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Mapgate 2012.

• Reply 286 of 490
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The problem with this line of reasoning is that Apple removed the Map app that users preferred. No one would argue that Apple shouldn't produce their own mapping service if they fell they can do something better or different than current offerings but to eliminate the competition by virtue of 'it's my football and we play by my rules' attitude is a problem. Google Maps should be an option, at least in the interim. Apple can't possibly be so blinded by their own ego to think that their new Maps app is even close to being as full featured and comprehensive as Google Maps was.

Silly argument. How can you say I preferred google maps? How many other mapping systems are out there outside of google maps that people use on a daily basis(there are over 13,000 on the app store alone)? Apple hasn't elminated the competition. Google is free to produce their own mapping application. Ego? You don't think Apple knows this is their first iteration of maps?

What other Maps app did you prefer to use on iOS before? I did not read anywhere in 278 posts here that anyone did not prefer Google Maps over the new Apple maps. We have yet to see a stand alone Google Maps app for iOS and I suspect we will not or else they would have released it on the same day they released the stand alone YouTube app. Fortunately, I can use the mobile web version sans Street View so I have no issues really. I can count on one hand the times I have used Street View on iOS so I'm not complaining. I only suggested that many users would prefer a choice of either their original Google Maps or the new Apple maps as indicated in overwhelming dissatisfaction expressed by at least this forum's membership.

• Reply 287 of 490
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

I searched for my old house when we lived in England...all you can see is a cloud over West Bergholt and Colchester.  HAHA

I am sure it will get fixed, but come on, really?

• Reply 288 of 490
    mazda 3s wrote: »

But on the other hand, Google's new iOS YouTube app is a million times better than the old one, so we're not exactly missing anything. We got rid of the old crusty s**t, and get a new, better app out of it. I say it's a Win-Win :)

Agree 100% - great App.
    On the other hand if I were Google I would take my time slooooow to give iPhone users a new Google Map App w Street View. Why aid the completion?
  • Reply 289 of 490
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

But on the other hand, Google's new iOS YouTube app is a million times better than the old one, so we're not exactly missing anything. We got rid of the old crusty s**t, and get a new, better app out of it. I say it's a Win-Win image

Agree 100% - great App.

On the other hand if I were Google I would take my time slooooow to give iPhone users a new Google Map App w Street View. Why aid the completion?

Because I think users would immediately adopt it in great numbers as their default map app even with the ads, tracking and all.

• Reply 290 of 490
    Why can't Apple just give us the old App back ?
    Surely it's not going to stop working if you don't upgrade to ios6- is it?
    It was like a basic iPhone given since day one - a great app. This really is not good.
  • Reply 291 of 490

OK guys, let's just sit back and relax for a bit. Some afternoon laughter is in store. From the same link I posted earlier:

If you can't laugh, you have no soul image

• Reply 292 of 490

I will bet that Apple's mapping team just increased 10x in size after all this bad press. They have a long way to catch up to Google maps so they better get cracking.

• Reply 293 of 490
    New maps app seems exellent, nice crisp layout perfect rendering.
    The street I live in has the correct name now, something Google never managed to get right (even after 6 years).
    Maps geographic info will be as good or better than the old one within the year.

J.
  • Reply 294 of 490

Apple really messed this one up. I am so disappointed with the maps app. No street view? This made my iphone so useful and now it's gone, not to mention that it seems to take the server forever to process my requests!

Terrible move by Apple. They should have really done a better of job of considering the user's needs and desires instead of just trying to 'compete' with Google.

• Reply 295 of 490
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Thank you for posting Google Maps from 3 years ago on Android 2.2. If you're going to have a discussion, at least bring relevant information, and don't bother trying to tell me everyone runs an old version of Android, Maps updates independently.

I just picked an image (the first image) that came up in a Google image search for Android maps.  

• Reply 296 of 490

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

I just don't see a 1.0 release that is so messed up as acceptable.

Then you don't consider Google Maps' original launch acceptable.

• Reply 297 of 490

Stop whining and punch the button marked "Report a problem"   Maps, all maps, since before Christopher Columbus all improved with more users and more use.  Get over it.

• Reply 298 of 490
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    sierrajeff wrote: »

Setting aside my kneejerk "Ugh!" attitude to your praise of crowdsourcing (and why should I be Apple's free cartographer; I just want to *use* the map!), this is not simply about missing or broken data.  For example look at the images of Bowling Green State University on that tumblr link - in the Google image, the building outlines and names are shown, as are footpaths.  One source, all the info I need (were I to ever go to BGSU, that is...).

On the Apple map, all that's shown are surrounding streets (in a vibrant white-on-off-white scheme) and a big polygon labelled Bowling Green State University - with *zero* interior information.  So if I want to go to a particular building on campus, Apple *might* get me there (if the data's right, and if I'm not using public transit), but then I'd have to open up the university's website and hunt for a map to find the building.  This does not strike me as the sort of thing that "free crowdsourcing" is going to fix; this is a conscious decision to eliminate an entire class of data.

High Jeff,

I'm totally comfortable with Siri and Maps. They're on the scale and model of human evolution. They, as we all, will prove to be quicker learners than gory algorithms and 'extraordinarily private', privacy-probing institutions.

Coarse-graininess is the tax dependency levies on enfranchisement. It comes to pass, ...on a purely democratic time-frame.

Thanks.
  • Reply 300 of 490
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Good thing Google Maps are perfect! Oh, wait!

How old are those images... especially the ones with the directions listed? The Google Maps web interface hasn't looked like that in years.

On the other hand: