Comments

• Reply 341 of 490

Just for fun:

iOS 5 Maps Max Zoom Out

iOS 6 Maps Max Zoom Out

iOS 6 Maps -- Yes Virginia, You Can Spin The Globe

• Reply 342 of 490

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Google will sue Apple for the use of a globe in a mapping application. Google Earth had it first.

Anyone see the new Motorola lawsuit? I submitted it to AI, so we should be seeing a story on it soon. The last cry of a dying empire… 

• Reply 343 of 490
    If you want to know why Apple released their Maps app in such an inaccurate state, this may help to explain why:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/09/19/rafer-maps
  • Reply 344 of 490
    Baloney.

Give me your search criteria.

I tried NYC, Austin, Manila (Philippines). Worked perfectly.

WS shysters at work.
  • Reply 345 of 490

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Umm...because Google Maps hasn't ever mistaken a search query?

Sheeh, chill folks.

One? Sure. EVERY one? No.

Maps hasn't succeeded in a single query I've thrown at it. Either it can't find it, sends me across the world, or puts the marker in the wrong place.

The exact same queries in OpenStreetMaps worked 100% of the time. They are supposed to be the same data, so this is a pretty serious screwup.

• Reply 346 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'll have to agree with this. 

Yes, I can *see* some of the great directions in which iOS Maps will go, but I feel as if we're forced to wait for something that we already had.

The problem is, that iOS users came to rely on a particular Google App on iOS.    ;)

And I don't think Apple really appreciated the degree to which this was a reality. 

because they want Google out of Apple like they want Samsung out big mistakes..Google Maps is the best and Samsung components are the best and once you get this out you will only have problems..they shoot themselves in the foot and all their billions cannot fix this. 

• Reply 347 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Ouch.  Glad I decided to hold off on upgrading.  Hopefully they can get it up to snuff soon!  Was looking forward to the built-in navigation...

Apple does not care about their users they just care about doing stuff their way and screw everyone in between...I wonder when users will finally see how arrogant Apple is

• Reply 348 of 490

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Apple does not care about their users they just care about doing stuff their way and screw everyone in between...I wonder when users will finally see how arrogant Apple is

Why do we let you stay here?

• Reply 349 of 490
    I've been predicting this since I started using iOS 6b1. I seem to recall getting blasted on this forum for saying that Apple's Maps was considerably below what Google offers in functionality. I seem to recall [B]MacBook Pro[/B] was the most vocal in that regard. Now, many betas later and after it's release to the world I still wish Apple would have kept this under lock and key for another year so they could get it closer to what it needs to be.
  • Reply 350 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

This is complete bullshit. A complaint coming from *me* is one thing. As a concerned Apple user, I can also appreciate *everything else* I'm getting. This is ONE app - yes, an important one, but the iOS ecosystem is mature and deep. Outside of this ONE app, Apple SPOILS their users. the consumer satisfaction ratings are really all you need to look at to make this abundantly clear. All their major products are #1 year after year, often by a wide margin. Apple sets the bar in this industry. One app does not a tragedy make. 

But *fake concern*, as a vehicle for trolling, is something trolls like *you* do. At the very least, come off sounding halfway smart. You don't even sound informed, never mind authoritative in the least. 

• Reply 351 of 490
    I was really looking forward to apple developed vector maps with navigation but it's rendering in jittery even on third gen iPad in simple vector maps mode compared to google. Finding address yield incorrect location more than 50% of search even in San Francisco. Severely limited mapping solution and at best equivalent to $0.99 app which I would delete after a day or maybe just use it for turn by turn navigation.
  • Reply 352 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've been predicting this since I started using iOS 6b1. I seem to recall getting blasted on this forum for saying that Apple's Maps was considerably below what Google offers in functionality. I seem to recall MacBook Pro was the most vocal in that regard. Now, many betas later and after it's release to the world I still wish Apple would have kept this under lock and key for another year so they could get it closer to what it needs to be.

Problem is... it needs to be in use by the public (actual users) to get better.

• Reply 353 of 490
    I was really looking forward to apple developed vector maps with navigation but it's rendering in jittery even on third gen iPad in simple vector maps mode compared to google. Finding address yield incorrect location more than 50% of search even in San Francisco. Severely limited mapping solution and at best equivalent to $0.99 app which I would delete after a day or maybe just use it for turn by turn navigation.
  • Reply 354 of 490
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    One? Sure. EVERY one? No.

Maps hasn't succeeded in a single query I've thrown at it. Either it can't find it, sends me across the world, or puts the marker in the wrong place.

The exact same queries in OpenStreetMaps worked 100% of the time. They are supposed to be the same data, so this is a pretty serious screwup.

Then I'd be looking for some other cause. Lots of people are finding that it works - at least much of the time. Apple undoubtedly tested it and found that it worked at least much of the time. If you've tried repeated searches and it messes up every single query, I'd be looking for the problem. Maybe reinstall the OS. Or maybe it's a hardware problem? In any event, your experience is clearly not typical, so there's probably something else going on.
  • Reply 355 of 490
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

If you want to know why Apple released their Maps app in such an inaccurate state, this may help to explain why:

However it does not explain why they decided to remove Google Maps. They could have easily coexisted and they would not have upset the user base in such an abrupt manner.  That would have made the majority of users happy. There is something else going on behind the scenes which caused this fiasco. Apple knew full well this was going to be a rough transition but it was clearly a calculated decision.

• Reply 356 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

What a bunch of cry babies! This is Apple's first maps app, so why do you expect it to be on par with Google's whose been doing it for years? Trust that Apple will get things right over the the course of a few months to a year.

I think you're bang on.  However the relevant point i think is that they should have waited another year to release it then.  It's like Siri.  Siri is ready for market NOW, which is when it should have been released.  Not a year ago in Beta.  I have no doubt Apple's Maps will eventually be the best (I have already seen Tom Tom camera cars driving around in my smaller sized city, so street view is definitely coming soon), but they should have waited until it was at least comparable.

• Reply 357 of 490
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've been predicting this since I started using iOS 6b1. I seem to recall getting blasted on this forum for saying that Apple's Maps was considerably below what Google offers in functionality. I seem to recall MacBook Pro was the most vocal in that regard. Now, many betas later and after it's release to the world I still wish Apple would have kept this under lock and key for another year so they could get it closer to what it needs to be.

I have a crazy idea. Let's allow consumers to decide.

Anyone with more than three brain cells can guess why Apple Insider suddenly has an influx of new users. I suspect this is part of a campaign by Android-based smartphone OEMs to manufacture more issues with Apple. This occurs with every single release of the iPhone. Does no one wonder where Google spends all their advertising dollars?

Most users will not be impacted by the same five issues that are being repeated over and over again in this thread. Period.

I am willing to bet USD $1,000 that this supposed debacle will have no material effect on Apple long term.

Anyone? No, I didn't think so.
  • Reply 358 of 490
    As we commerorate the 1 year's time of Steve's extremely untimely passing, let this latest in a too-long -- for Apple -- string of ****-ups be a lesson to all of you DUMMIES who don't see substantial cracks in the post-Steve Apple façade ....  

You think Steve would let this -- an app that was at the center of HEADLINE tech news during the Summer -- of all things, debut on, of all things, not just Apple's biggest product ever, but what pundits say is the BIGGEST consumer product launch in history?!? 

To have the eye of the shitstorm that is the MAPS app, debut on iPhone 5 in this condition?!?  

Are you fucking crazy?!?  

Steve N-E-V-E-R would have allowed this ....  

NEVER. 

And I don't wanna hear any shit about MobileMe or Antennagate ....   

Many a head went a-rollin' after that. 

And if Steve were still with us now, this would never've happened in this first place. 
  • Reply 359 of 490
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Dick, How does putting the app in the users' hands improve the satellite imagery? The images for my city in Central America which were perhaps 5 years old in the previous Map app are now ancient grayscale military aerial photos from the 50's. I have since narrowed it down to some time between when the hotel burned down in 1970 to when the high school built a gymnasium in 1974.

• Reply 360 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

However it does not explain why they decided to remove Google Maps. They could have easily coexisted and they would not have upset the user base in such an abrupt manner.  That would have made the majority of users happy. There is something else going on behind the scenes which caused this fiasco. Apple knew full well this was going to be a rough transition but it was clearly a calculated decision.

If I were to guess, knowing the parties involved:

1. the current agreement ran out -- it does not cover iOS 6 and iPhone 5 and later iDevices

2. Apple and Google tried to negotiate a new agreement

3. Apple wanted to use Google Turn-By-Turn and other new map features

4. Google wanted to include ads and wanted access to user data

5. neither party would yield

I think that this negotiation process has been on-going for several years -- with each side maneuvering for position.

Apple, seeing the handwriting on the wall, bought some mapping companies and licensed map data from others.

At some point, the battle was going to be joined -- better now, than later.