Apple hiring developers to work on widely-criticized iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 187
    I trust that Apple will improve their product. The only thing I care about at the moment is that turn by turn directions are accurate. I don't understand the logic that the simple act of more people using maps will magically improve it.

OK, turn-by-turn, specifically:

Assume the maps app is logging your location, what it tells you to do and your reactions.

It tells you to turn left, but you don't -- no street, one-way, no left turn...

Ideally you'd report the problem but it is pretty inconvenient to do so when you're trying to figure out what you supposed to do while driving in an unfamiliar area.

So you do something different than what you were told to do.

After taking corrective action, you re-engage the map application with your new location.

Since this is all logged, this unexpected action can be flagged by the app.

By analyzing the logs, Apple can determine when unexpected actions occur. By determining the number of unexpected actions that occur at a given location, Apple an
    Can zero in on a potential problem area and possibly fix it.

Some things are pretty easy to pinpoint… If people are told to make a left turn -- but they go through the intersection, make a U-turn and then make a right turn... you can be pretty sure that it's a no left turn or a one-way street.

If they make a right turn and then a U-turn -- It's probably a no left turn.
  • Reply 42 of 187

Let's get a bit of perspective here.

Google maps year 1

Apple maps year 1

Let's be honest, year for year we already have a winner and that's before you add satellite imagery, turn by turn navigation and all this 3D stuff.

Apple maps V1 was never going to compete with Google maps V7 as Google have had 8 years head start but I bet it doesn't take Apple more than a year to catch up.

• Reply 43 of 187
    In the past apple took time to make a product that was ready for market. This is far from it. With 150 billion in the bank, don't you think they could've put a bit more into this app? I use maps several times a day.. and so far, I miss google maps.

Apple better step it up and not get comfortable or cocky. Even the greatest can stumble and fall from the top.
  • Reply 44 of 187
    evilution wrote: »
    Let's get a bit of perspective here.

Google maps year 1

LL

Apple maps year 1

LL

Let's be honest, year for year we already have a winner and that's before you add satellite imagery, turn by turn navigation and all this 3D stuff.

Apple maps V1 was never going to compete with Google maps V7 as Google have had 8 years head start but I bet it doesn't take Apple more than a year to catch up.

To be fair, you should compare the maps at different zoom levels.

IOS 6 maps attempts to remove unnecessary clutter, so you get a clearer view at the zoom level... E.g. Showing neighborhoods instead of a spiderweb of tiny streets.

As you zoom in, streets, street names and building outlines appear -- where they would only be a distraction at an outer zoom level.

Makes the app more responsive, too!
  • Reply 45 of 187
    You have no management experience, correct?
    You have no specific knowledge of the decision-making process that led to the maps situation, correct?
    You are making recommendations for changes in Apple management based, on assumptions, no experience, and no specific knowledge, correct?
    Why should anyone listen to you?

Dick you dont know my qualifications, trust me Scott Forstall must be sacked. His reputation is shot and he is the laughing stock of the industry.
  • Reply 46 of 187

Also getting sick of people saying they miss Google maps. It's not missing, it's still there, it's just not 1 lazy button press away.

Open Safari and go to maps.google.com and away you go. From there you can save the bookmark as a main page icon and you have Google maps back again.

I like to have the option instead of being stuck with just Google maps. Remember, competition is good.

Also remember that Google only released their 3D maps because Apple announced theirs and so far, Apple 3D maps are better than Google's.

• Reply 47 of 187
    macvertigo wrote: »
    In the past apple took time to make a product that was ready for market. This is far from it. With 150 billion in the bank, don't you think they could've put a bit more into this app? I use maps several times a day.. and so far, I miss google maps. Apple better step it up and not get comfortable or cocky. Even the greatest can stumble and fall from the top.

Can you tell Dick Applebaum this? the bonehead doesnt seem to want to understand the obvious.
  • Reply 48 of 187
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Forstall is doing a great job, he probably didn't have a choice since 'someone' above him decided to stop using google maps, and had little time to develop the maps app. They needed more time. Apple put itself at risk with that decision. By next year the maps will be much better and almost everybody will have forgotten this, hopefully.

I agree. Apple also need a few more jets flying around the world mapping. Once you have experienced the areas with 3D the 2D areas seems horrible. Even simple maintain terrain is great to see like this. The SAAB system was designed to allow height and distance measurements too, I'd love to be able to play around with that feature. I'd also love to see an option to change the height factor as in Google Earth.

I also wonder if the agreement with Google was terminated and if so at which end, I cannot imagine Google would kill off the 90 percent of mobile web traffic themselves so I assume it was Apple. If this has all been covered my bad, I missed it.

It seems a shame Apple couldn't have kept Google for a while and run their own system in beta rather than this all or nothing approach. Shades of FCPro 7? Lol.

Of course we can all make a home screen icon of the Google Maps web site easily enough.

One small note, am I the only one that finds rotating 3D in each axis pretty difficult on an iPad? Every time I lower the viewing angle then try to rotate around I seem to raise the viewing angle again!
  • Reply 49 of 187
    ray bart wrote: »
    Dick you dont know my qualifications, trust me Scott Forstall must be sacked. His reputation is shot and he is the laughing stock of the industry.

Haha this is a Scamsung wet dream I'm guessing.
  • Reply 50 of 187
    google are run by two humble genuises
  • Reply 51 of 187
    Haha this is a Scamsung wet dream I'm guessing.

no you are wrong. get back on that treadmill you mouse.
  • Reply 52 of 187

I had to get off to count my profits to date from my AAPL. /wink
  • Reply 53 of 187

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

tekstud? Is that you?

• Reply 54 of 187
    google are run by two humble genuises

Google is plural? Meanwhile Eric Schmidt has neither attribute.
  • Reply 55 of 187
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Fortunately, this is not going to happen.

The problem with something like this is that you cannot assemble a test team big enough to cover every scenario. As many have said, Google had problems from day one, and still has them now. And this time next year, the Apple service will still have problems, though a lot less than it has now. Right now, Apple is doing the two most important things it can in this situation:

1. Attempting to fix what is obviously a big problem (though no one is sure how big) for many of its users.

2. Not listening to the multitude of anonymous armchair CEOs bleating on the internet.

• Reply 56 of 187
    Hey, I have also been making a useful gain holding apple stock. they are making me more wealthy on the back of fanboys who just keep buying and buying and buying. So when people call me a hater of apple it is really funny.

I just like experimenting once in awhile with these lab mice - using basic psychology techniques, pointing out obvious failings of apple and seeing how these mice react when put in a situation where their blind loyalties conflicts against their logic, if they have any.

At the end of the day Apple makes me financially better off and the mice keep hoping they will reach some peace by just going a little further on that treadmill.......
  • Reply 57 of 187
    Google is plural? Meanwhile Eric Schmidt has neither attribute.

correct it is not plural. congratulations, your first contribution to the world.
  • Reply 58 of 187
    You have no management experience, correct?
    You have no specific knowledge of the decision-making process that led to the maps situation, correct?
    You are making recommendations for changes in Apple management based, on assumptions, no experience, and no specific knowledge, correct?
    Why should anyone listen to you?

So, an anonymous poster on AI decides who should manage what at Apple... I'll take that under consideration at the next shareholders meeting.

What if Tim made the decision, and Scott was faced with "do the best you can"?

It really bothers me when someone makes knee-jerk reactions without considering the possibilities/facts and weighing the alternatives.
  • Reply 59 of 187
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Hey, I have also been making a useful gain holding apple stock. they are making me more wealthy on the back of fanboys who just keep buying and buying and buying. So when people call me a hater of apple it is really funny.

I just like experimenting once in awhile with these lab mice - using basic psychology techniques, pointing out obvious failings of apple and seeing how these mice react when put in a situation where their blind loyalties conflicts against their logic, if they have any.

At the end of the day Apple makes me financially better off and the mice keep hoping they will reach some peace by just going a little further on that treadmill.......

You do know that no one believes you, right?

:-)

• Reply 60 of 187

As an Apple shareholder, I'm disappointed the company left itself open to this sort of criticism.

I was running beta iOS 6 from the beginning and am a) disappointed by Maps itself, and b) disappointed that - seemingly - the only change to Maps during beta was the addition of more "flyover"cities ... a cool feature but, let's be honest, kind of a gimmick.  

Reduce the dividend $0.50 and use the saved money to "Manhattan Project" the hell out of "Apple Maps".  Come on, team.