Apple hiring developers to work on widely-criticized iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 61 of 187
    So, an anonymous poster on AI decides who should manage what at Apple... I'll take that under consideration at the next shareholders meeting.
    What if Tim made the decision, and Scott was faced with "do the best you can"?
    It really bothers me when someone makes knee-jerk reactions without considering the possibilities/facts and weighing the alternatives.

Dick, you and I are shareholders of Apple. Given what has happened, would you like management to address this issue? i doubt it is going to have a profound impact but it does undermine the brand name when this fiasco gets splashed across the media. If Forestall is not held responsible then who should be - some lower employee(s) within Apple? Maybe they are responsible - if so they should also be sacked along with the leader that manages them.
  • Reply 62 of 187
    rayz wrote: »
    You do know that no one believes you, right?

:-)

I am a substantial shareholder, but if it makes you feel better and less uncertain, believe what you want. Just realise in doing so that you are highlighting exactly that you are a lab mouse, with the fears, anxieties and hopes of what will happen on that treadmill.....
  • Reply 63 of 187
    ray bart wrote: »
    Hey, I have also been making a useful gain holding apple stock. they are making me more wealthy on the back of fanboys who just keep buying and buying and buying. So when people call me a hater of apple it is really funny.

I just like experimenting once in awhile with these lab mice - using basic psychology techniques, pointing out obvious failings of apple and seeing how these mice react when put in a situation where their blind loyalties conflicts against their logic, if they have any.

At the end of the day Apple makes me financially better off and the mice keep hoping they will reach some peace by just going a little further on that treadmill.......

You do know that no one believes you, right?

:-)

From the tenor of his posts, I guess that he's been fired by Scott Forstall.
  • Reply 64 of 187
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

The ignore list is out friend ...
  • Reply 65 of 187
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am a substantial shareholder, but if it makes you feel better and less uncertain, believe what you want. Just realise in doing so that you are highlighting exactly that you are a lab mouse, with the fears, anxieties and hopes of what will happen on that treadmill.....

Courtesy to fellow posters is a common thing on AI, perhaps you should try it. Some of us also have psychology degrees and have been with Apple a long time that doesn't make us speak to fellow posters as if we are 10 years old.
  • Reply 66 of 187

nice one Dick, a bit of humour
  • Reply 67 of 187

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

To be fair, you should compare the maps at different zoom levels.

IOS 6 maps attempts to remove unnecessary clutter, so you get a clearer view at the zoom level... E.g. Showing neighborhoods instead of a spiderweb of tiny streets.

As you zoom in, streets, street names and building outlines appear -- where they would only be a distraction at an outer zoom level.

Makes the app more responsive, too!

The Google maps 2005 screen shot was what I found online, it's not mine so I can only compare what I could find.

• Reply 68 of 187
    Courtesy to fellow posters is a common thing on AI, perhaps you should try it. Some of us also have psychology degrees and have been with Apple a long time that doesn't make us speak to fellow posters as if we are 10 years old.

I apologize if I mentally agitated you. Good luck and keep strong ( I really am a substantial shareholder and I dont like the ribbish those South Koreans aredishing up). Long live Apple but not fanboys with blind loyalty.
  • Reply 69 of 187

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

I miss google maps.

• Reply 70 of 187
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

You've got a little something foaming out the side of your mouth there ....

• Reply 71 of 187
    Maps is as important as the web, so Apple cannot let Google or Microsoft dominate that.
    So it's logical that Apple puts its weight into it. In a few years time nobody will remember the startup problems, in a way it's similar to the introduction of Final Cut Pro X.
    In the meanwhile navigation via the new maps app worked flawlessly for me today.

J.
  • Reply 72 of 187
    evilution wrote: »
    Let's get a bit of perspective here.

Google maps year 1

LL

Apple maps year 1

LL

Let's be honest, year for year we already have a winner and that's before you add satellite imagery, turn by turn navigation and all this 3D stuff.

Apple maps V1 was never going to compete with Google maps V7 as Google have had 8 years head start but I bet it doesn't take Apple more than a year to catch up.

Frankly, Apple Maps compares favorably to the current version of Google Maps. Apple Maps already has numerous advantages to Google Maps in iOS 5.
  • Reply 73 of 187

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

... I just like experimenting once in awhile with these lab mice - using basic psychology techniques, pointing out obvious failings of apple and seeing how these mice react when put in a situation where their blind loyalties conflicts against their logic, if they have any. ...

So, you are confessing to being a troll? That wasn't really necessary, we already knew that.

• Reply 74 of 187
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Maps is as important as the web, so Apple cannot let Google or Microsoft dominate that.

So it's logical that Apple puts its weight into it. In a few years time nobody will remember the startup problems, in a way it's similar to the introduction of Final Cut Pro X.

In the meanwhile navigation via the new maps app worked flawlessly for me today.

J.

I think it's also worth bearing in mind the changes in software development practice over the past couple of years.

Twenty years ago, Apple would have kept Maps hidden, developing it, polishing it and then releasing it ... only to find that time had moved on and it was not what users wanted any more.

Your point about Final Cut Pro X is a good one, but it's been going on a lot longer than that: the initial releases of  MacOSX were awful (oh come on! they were!), but Apple learned a lot by getting it out there and finding out what users thought, before they went too far down the wrong path.

Maps is the same. The real problem (I feel) is that Apple did not make it clear enough from the outset that this is an ongoing project. Folk were expecting something polished final from day one (and to be honest, most of the problems seem to relate to the maps and not the software itself), and unless they're told then they have a right to expect that.

And when I say 'folk' I'm talking about Apple's bread and butter customer base: people who don't spend all day hanging around Apple forums. Anyone else should really know better.

• Reply 75 of 187
    evilution wrote: »
    Let's get a bit of perspective here.

Google maps year 1

LL

Apple maps year 1

LL

Let's be honest, year for year we already have a winner and that's before you add satellite imagery, turn by turn navigation and all this 3D stuff.

Apple maps V1 was never going to compete with Google maps V7 as Google have had 8 years head start but I bet it doesn't take Apple more than a year to catch up.

Couldn't agree more.

J.
  • Reply 76 of 187
    I think it's also worth bearing in mind the changes in software development practice over the past couple of years.
    Twenty years ago, Apple would have kept Maps hidden, developing it, polishing it and then releasing it ... only to find that time had moved on and it was not what users wanted any more.

Your point about Final Cut Pro X is a good one, but it's been going on a lot longer than that: the initial releases of  MacOSX were awful (oh come on! they were!), but Apple learned a lot by getting it out there and finding out what users thought, before they went too far down the wrong path.

Maps is the same. The real problem (I feel) is that Apple did not make it clear enough from the outset that this is an ongoing project. Folk were expecting something polished final from day one (and to be honest, most of the problems seem to relate to the maps and not the software itself), and unless they're told then they have a right to expect that.

And when I say 'folk' I'm talking about Apple's bread and butter customer base: people who don't spend all day hanging around Apple forums. Anyone else should really know better.

Apple simply didn't realize that Google's advertising budget is 160% of Apple's advertising budget.

Paying all these people to spam every forum and blog with rubbish is quite expensive.
  • Reply 77 of 187

Your right that introducing Mac OS X was a similar shock to users, especially OS 9 users, because NeXT users (like me) did like it a lot from the start. But I wouldn't call it awful because the OS wasn't crashing all the time and did contain a lot of the innovation that is currently used by OS X and iOS. Similarly the new maps app contains a lot of innovation Apple can build on in the years to come.
    For some, I fear, it's the shock of new instead of the delight of it.

J.
  • Reply 78 of 187
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Apple simply didn't realize that Google's advertising budget is 160% of Apple's advertising budget.

Paying all these people to spam every forum and blog with rubbish is quite expensive.

You are delusional.

Forgot to block you.

• Reply 79 of 187
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Dick you dont know my qualifications, trust me Scott Forstall must be sacked. His reputation is shot and he is the laughing stock of the industry.

Insulting The poster by not using his full name, is ASSUMING that it is his real name... You know what they say about "assume"... You make an "Ass" of yourself...

one, stop. and I dont need to know your qualifications because you have none with respect to this web site... Dick Applebaum does, and plenty (this posts are always on point and Informative) thus in a "pissing" match, Ray Bart, you lose.

two, did you know The Late Steve Jobs as well as Scott Forstall?...

three, Did you work directly for Steve Jobs?...

becase unless you have, that you have no right Disparaging Scott Forstall. (actually, nobody should be disparaging him... that is his right to do.)

and Scott fostall's experience could get him almost any job in his selected field ( except CEO lol sorry) ...

the apple maps fixes the big problem with google maps, in that you can zoom in to far, and not get a picture... (as if those layers are not being shown)

and I do like the higher resolution of the black and white (original data)...
    (yes, false coloring is nice but expensive...)

seach for "Panama Canal" in apple maps and you get 5 hits that aren't the Panama Canal, Panama (near costa rica, between north and south america... )
    whereas in google maps, you get the "real" panama canal...
    not sure how you would get the location of of those 5 "other" panama canal's in google maps...

finally, Apple with their new map app, has just increased the need for more Cartographers... so the future may be looking bright for some Cartographers...
  • Reply 80 of 187
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

AllThingsD is reporting that the Apple map team is in lockdown trying to fix it. If true then Apple certainly isn't ignoring some of the early feedback.

http://allthingsd.com/20120920/apple-maps-app-takes-reality-distortion-to-a-whole-new-level/