Apple reportedly waived one year of Google Maps contract in switch to iOS Maps [u]

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 191
    vaelian wrote: »
    Having a hard time understanding things makes you a retard, not others dorks. Don't jump into conclusions about others while clearly stating that you don't understand them, because under your broad definition, disabled people are dorks.
    first, don't call me retard. second, if you cant find your way around without arrows pointing you everywhere you go then you are a dork and and or a retard. And I said nothing about the physically disabled and nothing was implied. If you weren't so fscking dense you would have easily understood what I was talking about. Now if you have a problem with that come and see me personally. I will give you turn by turn directions since you are obviously too numb between the ears to find your way without them. I bet if you went out in your front yard and spun around three times you wouldn't find your way back to your front door for a week.

Vision disparity is a kind of non-physical disability, retard! You may have not said it, but you did indeed imply it, because the broadness of your definition of "dork" applies to some disabled people, and I'm not going to explain anything to you until you stop throwing insults left and right, retard!
  • Reply 182 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Vision disparity is a kind of non-physical disability, retard! You may have not said it, but you did indeed imply it, because the broadness of your definition of "dork" applies to some disabled people, and I'm not going to explain anything to you until you stop throwing insults left and right, retard!

yes it is a disability, but that is NOT what I was saying you retard

• Reply 183 of 191

Quote:

you started with the insults by the way. I said nothing directly at you at all and you called me a retard. 

• Reply 184 of 191
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    This article puts it remarkably fairly in light of the recent depressed stock price following the release and numerous issues it inspired.

http://techpinions.com/relax-everyone-the-iphone-is-just-a-phone-apple-is-just-a-company/10615
  • Reply 185 of 191

Oh for god sake, it's a cloud based service, in order for Apple to improve it Apple first need to release it. Why can't you lot understand this?

• Reply 186 of 191

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I am providing you something better than a citation or speculation.  It is experience.

No, you're providing me with baseless speculation, because there is nowhere I can go to validate your logic.

Quote:

I've noticed you said you became a developer when you got an iPhone.  Interesting seeing as I had been a developer for 5 years in 2007 and had worked on GIS software for 4 of those 5 years.

That's impossible, there was no iOS developer program in 2007...

Quote:

You pay a fee to Apple of about $100 a year, and that is because Apple gives you access to third-party services and data that Apple is paying others for.  Very little is free in the software development world beyond compilers and the IDE (Xcode, Eclipse, etc).  That is because many people are selling what they produce and everyone wants a piece of the pie.  That isn't speculation, that is reality. Sure, you made find a free component or block of code here and there, but iOS was not copy and pasted together from free code found on the Internet.

Source? Because paying for code-signing digital certificates is nothing new, and they don't involve access to third-party data, either. This includes the Mac Developer Program, which doesn't have Google Maps.

Oops, there goes your logic down the drain... Try harder...

Quote:

The company I work for has to pay several companies for GIS data, demographic data, and third-party API tools.  We have to pay Microsoft for Bing Maps, and based on the way we use that, we'd have to pay Google too.  And we pay A LOT.  We also pay Google for Google Apps for Business so we can using Gmail and Google Docs as a company.  So Google charges for plenty, believe it or not.

You pay for the ability to process that data, not for the ability to directly display it.

Quote:

You can believe Apple wasn't paying Google, but you are wrong.

Citation?

Man Of War?

• Reply 187 of 191

I just got mine...

Maps, Shmaps... in the overall importance of things it rates somewhere below your preferred brand of toilet paper... IOW, Who the Fu ck cares?

• Reply 188 of 191
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'm sorry, but how the **** was Google 'caught off guard'? it's a lie. It's been confirmed since JUNE that this was the case, and rumored strongly for several months before that. How long does it take to make a maps app? It's been 4 months since it's confirmed, but suddenly they're "scrambling"? Google has enough smart people working there for anyone to believe this. Bullshit. It's just more FUD to further the narrative that Apple is the bad guy. They should have been working on an app fulltime since the WWDC keynote at LEAST, if not before that. 

• Reply 189 of 191
    Losing Google's YouTube App on iOS:
    No biggie...we don't have to watch Gangnam Style

Losing Google Maps on iOS:
    Millions of users in the Apple community disoriented...Apple, this is a monumental and fundamental part of what makes the iPhone or any smartphone a fledging Internet communications device. We have become so dependant on this in our daily lives and we take google maps as a feature that we pay for on iPhone having paid 1000's of dollars on products.

When the first iPhone came out, google maps was a primary feature and since then it always has been for millions of us. Now... Suddenly this smartphone is not so smart after all is it?

All we as customers want is some official statement regarding the situation so we can make calculated decisions in our own lives. The majority of users don't care about your beef with Google... We just want to know what's going to be done about this fiasco of epic proportions.
  • Reply 190 of 191

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Apple, this is a monumental and fundamental part of what makes the iPhone or any smartphone a fledging Internet communications device.

That's hilarious. Because until Apple told you that maps would be great on a phone and showed you how to do it right, no one gave a crap, remember? Now their back end has given up on them, so they're relying entirely on themselves to give you what you want.

We have become so dependent on this in our daily lives…

Isn't that your fault?

…and we take google maps as a feature that we pay for on iPhone having paid 1000's of dollars on products.

If you're buying an iPhone just for Google Maps, you REALLY ought to consider not doing that and going for a cheaper solution.

When the first iPhone came out, google maps was a primary feature and since then it always has been for millions of us. Now... Suddenly this smartphone is not so smart after all is it?

Suddenly people aren't so smart, are they? 

All we as customers want is some official statement regarding the situation…

Already did.

…so we can make calculated decisions in our own lives.

Here's a decision: Don't become wholly dependent on a single website.

We just want to know what's going to be done about this fiasco of epic proportions.

The fiasco that is in no way a fiasco, you mean? The "problem" can solve by going to maps.google.com? The problem that, in a year's time, will have many of the people complaining about Maps today saying that they can't remember a time before Apple Maps? That one? 

• Reply 191 of 191

Tim Cook is making me sick... more interested in stock prices than product innovation and performance.

I can't stand watching him try to imitate Steve Jobs in his presentations and mannerisms... when really he's the black pope.

While this MAP issue is the most blatant expression of disrespect for apple's clients - there have been several other releases in the last year with apple's (products and software) that prove that Tim is a money man.