Apple reportedly waived one year of Google Maps contract in switch to iOS Maps [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 191
    vaelian wrote: »
    There are apps for that (and Maps on Android aren't vectorial either). As a matter of fact, as far as the current implementation is concerned, the vectorial maps are a hindrance, not an aid. They're taking longer to load and they're much slower to render. Finally, Apple could easily have struck a deal with Google to offer turn by turn navigation; there is absolutely no evidence to support the belief that this wasn't a possibility.

You just don't get it.  Mapping is important and Apple want's to bring it in house and not be dependent on Google for it.

I don't HAVE to get it! I'm a FUCKING CUSTOMER! Only fanboys and apologists care about crap like that, I just want quality service, and this is not it!
  • Reply 82 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. Apple needs to make Google realize that Google needs Apple more than Apple needs Google. Already, Google has found that their ad revenues are lower on Android devices than on iDevices, so every Android device that is sold instead of an iDevice costs Google money.

That's why Google took out it's all time high intraday today right? ...and the band played on. 

• Reply 83 of 191
    Does anyone seriously believe that Google couldn't code a version of Google Maps with the three months notice at WWDC?

If so, Google Maps must be a worse POS than even I thought.
  • Reply 84 of 191
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    berp wrote: »
    Google is working 24/7 at severing the emotional bond which glues the Apple ecosystem together. They've covertly mapped out the typical end user's psyche through their five year old grassroots partnership with Apple, ...just as they've overtly and thoroughly mapped out the executives' mindset through...in part...Schmidt's probing sentience deep into Apple's inner sanctum.
    And Google holds enormous sway with the press. The Google myth, along with a few pat-on-the-back incentives, works wonders on tech bloggers and news columnists. While Apple was busy innovating like there was no tomorrow, ...Google was investing time and PR money with politicians and pundits, and getting away with murdering privacy on the WiFi bandwidth.
    For Google...it was a twofer. Get some street-view sweet-and-sour addiction onto the iOS platform, affording Google the mortal threat of a high severance pay...the mindshare withdrawal syndrome so to say, ...while riding the antenna...shotgun, on a wild scramble for people's unguarded privacy. Shady business indeed for Google's monetization purposes only, ...in an 'all rights reserved', 'no trespassing' kind of a way. One of those crimes that...pay.
    If one aims at any kind of life expectancy, one cannot partner for long with a drug dealer. A nascent platform experiences some growing pains that are somehow soothed by drug use...with the danger obviously looming larger at or beyond puberty. It's time to cut off ties with cut drugs from the creepy-friendly narco-neighbor, ...and rely on in-house dopamine production to maintain, nurture, and thrust the iOS platform's metabolic equilibrium into full maturity.
    Apple's playing rope-a-dope to survive commoditization, ...and fighting the odds ain't pretty...
    All salient points.

The New York Times confirms Google is looking to have an app out by the end of the year.

http://nyti.ms/QkpOTW

This is good news to me, assuming this article is true, as Google will likely rush their App out with numerous flaws. Thus continuing to give Apple an advantage. But it will at least give the consumer back a choice, and allow Apple's customers to realize what Google is on their own. Over time, Apple's product will improve, and the two apps will be vetted over their merits rather than Apple being the only game in town. Competition is healthy, and this is how it works.

On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Google to sit on a finished app, and wait until Mapgate reaches a frenzy, before "coming to the rescue" to the extent Apple customers see it that way. As someone else pointed out, even though Google has other larger priorities, it really takes 6 months to code an app they already have experience with? Then again, if this is what Google is doing, they may well underestimate how fickle consumers can be when given the choice between gruel and starvation, to the extent they even learn to love the smell of it.
  • Reply 85 of 191

Google SUCKS....

The less money Apple gives to it's enemies the better....  

Next on the list is cutting off Samsung.

• Reply 86 of 191

They should call it Beta.  That way when the map app doesn't measure up then they can claim its a beta.

• Reply 87 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Google to sit on a finished app, and wait until Mapgate reaches a frenzy, before "coming to the rescue" to the extent Apple customers see it that way. As someone else pointed out, even though Google has other larger priorities, it really takes 6 months to code an app they already have experience with? Then again, if this is what Google is doing, they may well underestimate how fickle consumers can be when given the choice between gruel and starvation, to the extent they even learn to love the smell of it.

Yeah i don't believe for a second that Google is 'caught off guard' and couldn't produce an app in time. I mean, a small developer can port an app from iOS to Android or vice versa in a matter of weeks. Google knew about this in June, that's months ago. 

I feel like they're not submitting the app because they don't want Apple to know what's Google's iOS Maps App so that Apple can't be inspired from it. 

• Reply 88 of 191
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Sorry I'm late to the party. I scanned through he comments but I did not see anyone mentioning that Google had plenty of time to develop their app since we have known about the Apple Maps for months prior to the announcement because the dev releases have been previewing Maps since around January. This is not credible news in my opinion. Google has a different agenda.

• Reply 89 of 191
    Keep the faith people. It is important for Apple to introduce Apple Maps ASAP to users and get it into developer's hands in order to start developing layers.

Make no mistake, Google knows what Apple Maps is capable of. The potentials of Apple Maps are limitless and the earlier the better. Development in Apple Maps is much faster than Google Maps and very soon it will surpass Google Maps to become the Killer iOS application that it is.

Keep the faith. Time will tell.

Developers have access to the betas, we don't need this crap on our main devices to develop for it.

But, we need it on our customer's devices to develop for it!
  • Reply 90 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I don't HAVE to get it! I'm a FUCKING CUSTOMER! Only fanboys and apologists care about crap like that, I just want quality service, and this is not it!

An educated customer does care about the platform that he or she buys into.

You can always return the iPhone and get an Android or Blackberry or Windows Phone device.

Good Luck,,,

• Reply 91 of 191
    Does anyone seriously believe that Google couldn't code a version of Google Maps with the three months notice at WWDC?

If so, Google Maps must be a worse POS than even I thought.

Google doesn't have access to the private APIs on iOS as they do on Android. Apple would be crazy to give Google access to the family jewels. Maps has always been an Apple-written app that used Google data. Apparently, Google would not allow Apple access to advanced data like TBT.

If Google releases a maps app for IOS 6 (or 5 or 4), likely, it will be kludgey and not well integrated into the user experience.

Again, what was Apple to do... And when is the best time to do it?
  • Reply 92 of 191
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Apple can do no wrong. The Maps apps may work for YOU, but there are millions of people, for which this apps has been a step backwards. Actually the biggest praise has be coming from China and everyone else has been dumbfounded by such an early release. In all your comments it is ME ME ME, sorry but Apple has a bigger consumer base and their admit that the app is not has polished as it should be. As for 'whining' people, we will keep on giving our feedback, to ensure that Maps meets apple standard expected by us the consumer.

If you had better things to do, you would not have provided comments, to a article, which is in your mind, is a waste of time.

I did have better things to do, and I went and did them.  I didn't go around having a hissy-fit that a man-made product wasn't perfect.  I accepted it's shortcomings as a first-release and moved on knowing in time it will get better.  Surely, my tune would change if I were paying for a service or a product and it was faulty.  This is not the case.  With Apple's resources and design-mantra, I see Maps rivaling GoogleMaps, if not surpassing it, sooner than later.  I look at the big picture, so should you.  But no, you focus on the "now, now, now" and "I want my 5-minute fix" nonsense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

oh really, you talked to millions of people who all told you that they share your opinion that the app is crap. 

your comments are just as much me,me, me, and hyperbolic exaggerations about the extent of the issue. Not to mention just the illogical facts that

1. you can still look at Google Maps on the web

2 there are dozens of other map apps you can use, many free

3. you are comparing a just released item with a service that has had close to 10 full years to develop, was utter crap when it started, and isn't even perfection now. for 3 years I've been sending them weekly bug reports about driving directions that tell folks to go the wrong way down a street that has been one way for a good 10 years and they still haven't fixed it

You beat me to it Charli.  Everyone I know that upgraded to iOS6 only had a smattering of curiosities about Apple's maps.  They didn't care.  They too exhibited the same philosophy that it will get better over time and went on with their lives.

Unlike souliisoul which seems to be exhibiting the typical iHating, trolling mentality.  He'd rather mouth-off than actually have a rational, grown-up discussion.  I find a lot of that mentality infesting AI now.

• Reply 93 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

An educated customer does care about the platform that he or she buys into.

You can always return the iPhone and get an Android or Blackberry or Windows Phone device.

Good Luck,,,

I am positively dumbfounded by how apologetic you (and a couple others) are to Apple's decision here.  There is literally no advantage whatsoever to releasing their proprietary maps app early.  Here's why:

1.  Customers are left with a truly inferior experience.  Apple's maps don't have to fail 100% of the time to be inferior to Google's maps.  The fact that Apple's solution is worse in any quantifiable way means it's inferior.  There is no substitute for accurate information and most importantly a LARGE DATABASE OF POIs.

2.  The extra year could have been used to fill in at least a portion of the gaps in their database while Google continued to provide data to customers.

3.  iPhone users have lived without stock turn-by-turn navigation (the only current functional improvement in Apple's maps) since the platform's inception, and they would easily last another year considering that other solutions are available in the App Store.

4.  The average user will not fill in Apple's missing data, much to the chagrin of certain zealots here.

In the end it's all about customer experience for the typical user (not the tech-savvy reader of a tech blog).  Do you think my mom cares who provides the map data?  No.  She cares about whether, on average, she can find whatever she's searching for and will compare that to whether or not she could find it before, again on average.  Not being able to find something that could be found before is immediately frustrating and confusing for the average user.  Frustration and confusion are the polar opposites of the iOS user experience up until this point.  Why not admit Apple made a mistake here?

• Reply 94 of 191
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Wasn't Jobs praised for skating to where the puck is going not where's it's been. Well the puck was stuck near Google for ages and still no turn-by-turn. A bit of pain now a lot of gain later. Good decision, Cook et al!

• Reply 95 of 191
    Google is a company, like any other company they're after money, and unlike Apple they aren't known for being platform-specific, so the burden of proof lies on your side because there is no logical reason to believe that Google wouldn't be open to such a deal. This is not to mention that Schmidt himself said he was willing to continue the partnership, which is infinitely more evidence than you have.
    Slow down and think about what you are saying. A logical reason for Google not to to be open to offering improved capabilities to the old Maps app would to be able to promote Android with a maps app that offered more than IOS. Google would profit by better data-mining and more advertising access through Android. Also don't forget that Google is now in the handset business by way of Motorola. How better to promote your products than by crippling your competitors. This is the same reason that Apple won't license all of their intellectual property. It's product differentiation. The second thing you need to consider, is why take any corporate executive at their word. Just because Schmidt said it doesn't make it a fact. The same could be said of Cook. It's business, sometimes you don't tell the public the complete truth.

Oh yeah, according to your statement, since I found a "logical reason to believe Google wouldn't be open to such a deal", the "burden of proof lies on your side" - sorry but it was your rule not mine.

mstone wrote: »
    Sorry I'm late to the party. I scanned through he comments but I did not see anyone mentioning that Google had plenty of time to develop their app since we have known about the Apple Maps for months prior to the announcement because the dev releases have been previewing Maps since around January. This is not credible news in my opinion. Google has a different agenda.
    I kind of wondered about that myself. No one was surprised by Apple developing their our maps solution (at least no one that frequents this forum). The acquisitions Apple made telegraphed this fact well in advance.

But, we need it on our customer's devices to develop for it!
    That did seem kind of obvious...
  • Reply 96 of 191
    I am bored reading all these comments and complaint. Here here, I still have my London A-Z map book. It is an irreplaceable icon.
  • Reply 97 of 191
    rogifan wrote: »
    Bad, bad decision if true. So I wonder who made it - Cook or Forstall?

WTH? Apparently most of you negative Natalie's seem to live life in a complete droid led fog...

Ummm, shills always lie.

The BIGGEST problem and disappointment and complaint with the iOS platform has consistently been the LACK of turn by turn direction ability on the iPhone.

Clearly it WAS and is DOCUMENTED that Steve Jobs himself declared WAR on the Google platform. Apple could not wait any longer to not START this effort. It had to make this move sooner rather than later.

Why o why is the DUMPING of Google maps such a shock to any logically thinking person? And??

The story here is slowly Googles GOLD mine from Apple is quickly coming to an end. A move Wall Street should be HAILING. This will boost Apples iAd business and hurt Google further. Shocked why so many miss the bigger picture here.

For some of the UNEDUCATED here and on other forums -- Apples browser use RULES mobile use. Why would or should Apple give that away to a competitor unmitigated?

I'm like THANK YOU Apple for using your muscle and dumping Google off nearly an audience potential of 300-400 mil users and growing. That's the story. It's a BIGGER blow to Google as a whole than the whiners crying Apples pending demise for "hastily" implementing such a strategy.

While some also keep harping on the years it took Google to gain its mapping data - that's true when there were maybe 1/20th of the number of smartphones in the wild. Apple thru it's OWN users can farm that data at a much quicker pace - which a lot of this PR will push its users to move this even faster.

I've had every iPhone and maybe, maybe I've actually used the old mapping app a dozen times in 5 years. Y? I use navigation in my car. I'm hardly codependent on the app versus the phone. Apple is betting the majority is just like me. And in the end this will be forgotten.

Anyone that cries the iPhone new mapping software is a deal breaker doesn't belong on this platform..

Bottom line. BRAVO Apple for DUMPING Google. That's the real story here. Ouch!!!
  • Reply 98 of 191
    What an incredible stupid move! Doesn't Google ever learn? They must be aware that Apple kept on coding for the Intel processor when switching to OSX eventhough that wasn't necessary until 5 years later. Google should've taken not on that fact, and create their own Maps app for iOS the moment they signed their initial contract. They could've submitted their app the day iOS6 came out. Heck, they could've done that even before, but that might've been rejected.
  • Reply 99 of 191
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

So not only did Apple put out an inferior product but they did so in a way that would force their customers to go without the best mobile mapping solution on the planet. 

Steps Apple could have taken.

1. Tell google ahead of time. Have Apple maps preloaded on the iphone, but work with google to have maps app ready to go in the app store, just so their customers that value google maps, in locations where apple maps are unusable had an option.

2. Put apple maps as open beta in the app store and keep google maps on the iphone as default.

3. Have both google maps and Apple maps on the phone, customers pick. 

But what did Apple do. 

Tell google so late that they knew there wouldn't be google maps app in the app store, while also releasing thier beta maps app, and calling it a revolution in the mapping industry. 

I never thought id see the day where Apple's hatred for a competitor/partner would matter more that customer needs. 

Apple hatred for google> apple customers. I wonder if dropping google search in favor of "x seach engine" will come soon. Shame apple, ahame. 

So you reckon people are stupid and don't know how to find their way without online maps. Maybe those using the other platforms are and without turn by turn feature they simply don't know where to go and completely lost.

Maps are useful when a person is going to a new address and not somewhere which a person is familiar with.

And does turn by turn is the best way to go? for the new and ignorant yes.

Apple have to bite the bullet by releasing their map and even if it comes out it a years' time the legions of haters will nitpick and whine.

By releasing the map they know what kind of data - complete or completely useless and bow they know.

Come back in a years' time and we talk again whether it will be comparable or better than goog's.

• Reply 100 of 191
    I'm going state it again: I seriously think that Apple is getting ready to sue Google within the next 6 months.