Apple reportedly waived one year of Google Maps contract in switch to iOS Maps [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

So not only did Apple put out an inferior product but they did so in a way that would force their customers to go without the best mobile mapping solution on the planet.

I never had much luck with the built in Maps app because it sucked up too much bandwidth (causing me to breach my data limit several times) and was too slow. My understanding is that part of my problem had to do with the inefficient way maps were encoded (pixels?) I had a much better experience with a third party app and downloaded maps. Just wondering: does everyone else here consider the old built in Maps app to be the "best solution on the planet"? How did they handle the situations where the data signal was weak? Did they not desire turn by turn directions?

• Reply 22 of 191
    "Perhaps most troubling was the lack of features users had become accustomed to with Google Maps, such as Street View, highly-detailed map data and public transit routes."

For the record, Street View has NEVER been available on iOS devices... So how exactly did users 'become accustomed' to it?

This amazing piece of misinformation continues to be propogated by blogs, rumor sites and the mainstream media... Does anybody bother to check facts anymore?
  • Reply 23 of 191
    They needed to rip the bandaid off, and they did it. They need crowd sourced information to make the incremental improvements required. The 3D rendering "glitches" are just a fact of life; the GIS databases they use apparently don't include man-made structures. Neither does Google Earth. I miss street view on my iPad, especially as it relates to sorting out address anomalies.

But, I think back to six years ago, when I couldn't get a decent GPS database for my little Garmin unit. I had to manually track waypoints in order to make a "map" of routes. This data was unlimately uploaded to OpenStreetMaps to help improve things some... But it took two years for meaningful progress to be made. I expect Apple can make the jump in six months if they get adequate data from users... especially since it is likely automatically uploaded now.
  • Reply 24 of 191
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Perhaps most troubling was the lack of features users had become accustomed to with Google Maps, such as Street View, highly-detailed map data and public transit routes."
    For the record, Street View has NEVER been available on iOS devices... So how exactly did users 'become accustomed' to it?
    This amazing piece of misinformation continues to be propogated by blogs, rumor sites and the mainstream media... Does anybody bother to check facts anymore?
    Yes, Street View was available in the previous maps app. It's not available on maps.google.com
  • Reply 25 of 191
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

What are you talking about? Streetview has been available on Pre-iOS 6 devices for quite some time.

iPhone

iPad

Get your facts straight.

• Reply 26 of 191
    Casualties on both sides in a thermonuclear war.
  • Reply 27 of 191

It was there just not easy to find. It required one to put a pin down first.
  • Reply 28 of 191
    cpsro wrote: »
    Good riddens. Google sux.

It's, good riddance.
  • Reply 29 of 191
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's, good riddance.
    At least he spelled sux right.
  • Reply 30 of 191

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

For the record, Street View has NEVER been available on iOS devices... 

For the record, could you maybe do a single second of research before claiming something?

Street View has been available since iPhone OS 2.2 in 2008.

• Reply 31 of 191
    At least we won't need to kick around MobileMe's rollout as an example of "Not Apple's finest hour..." anymore will we?

I really see the switch to Apple maps (at this time) as an example of a "What would Steve do?" mentality at Apple.

If SJ were still here I can just imagine the Jobsian "Reality Distortion Field"™ going into action at the Map rollout/intro...

About now he would have had the whole Maps team into his office for one of his patented "Heart to Heart" gabathons about "What F'ing happened"

Then at the iPhone 6 intro in a couple of years there'd be a mea culpa and we'd witness the intro of iMaps (what Apple Map should have been in te first place)

Hey, I love what Steve gave us, but I'm just sayin'
  • Reply 32 of 191
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    The stupidity is astounding, I'm not trying to hate on Apple today, or anything like that, but I mean they seriously broke their contract for Google Maps, to release an app that is universally disliked by their customers? Responsibility Apple, responsibility.

Enough with the Google /Samasung trolling. I love the new maps and so do lots of users. It's vector based, way faster and will soon leave Google in the dust. Plus Google got 4x as much income from iOS than their crappy Android OS so good going Apple for removing that income from the backstabbing bar stewards at Google.
  • Reply 33 of 191
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    They needed to rip the bandaid off, and they did it. They need crowd sourced information to make the incremental improvements required. The 3D rendering "glitches" are just a fact of life; the GIS databases they use apparently don't include man-made structures. Neither does Google Earth. I miss street view on my iPad, especially as it relates to sorting out address anomalies.
    But, I think back to six years ago, when I couldn't get a decent GPS database for my little Garmin unit. I had to manually track waypoints in order to make a "map" of routes. This data was unlimately uploaded to OpenStreetMaps to help improve things some... But it took two years for meaningful progress to be made. I expect Apple can make the jump in six months if they get adequate data from users... especially since it is likely automatically uploaded now.

Totally agree.
  • Reply 34 of 191

Smart decision on Apple's move to jump ship early.  Between Android success based on being a stolen product from Apple.. and Google purposely limiting the iOS version of its Map app.  Google was long from the being a friend, and much more closer to being an enemy.  The sooner the switched from Google products, they better off they are.  And what better way to use some of that $100+ Billion in the bank.. than by making themselves more self-sufficient.  Even Facebook is doing its part to pull away from Google and become its own search engine.

I've used iOS6 on both my iphone4S and my new 5.. and dont see what the crying is about.  Seems like its the typical ******gate that appears whenever a new iPhone is launched.  Where every tech/news site is anxious to attract clicks.. so they post news that know they will attract visitors.  In my experience:  

1) The Apple maps work just fine for GPS navigation and basic searches.  

2) All the street data from TomTom is pumped into Apple Maps, so all the streets are there for Nav use.

2) There are plenty of alternative Map apps like Bing to use for searches that dont show up in the Apple Map.

4) maps.google.com works pretty much EXACTLY like the old Google Maps did and can be made as a shortcut on the home screen.  Meaning the Google Maps "app" is still available right now.  No need to wait on the official version.

Just like Copy&Paste/MMSgate, Antennagate, Heatgate, and various other gates.. this is an overhyped situation is which 90% of the people shouting how bad the problem is, never even use product.  Those that do, know better.. like the above I just posted.  Either way.. in a year Apple's Map app should be thoroughly updated to a point where this conversation is no longer even talked about.  It wouldn't be a new iPhone.. if it didnt have a new controversial/overhyped disability.

• Reply 35 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Wow.  Wannabe armchair cartographers are out in full force today.  I didn't realize there were so many people qualified to tell Apple what to do.

Maps works great for me.  GoogleMaps had its hit-and-misses to this day but I don't put them over the fire pit.  Streetview is nice, would be nice to have something similar to that in Apple's offerings but in the end, I don't need street view to get where I'm going.

If I were paying for maps, I would probably raise a stink.  However, since both are FREE services, I can't necessarily whine about it like you guys are.  I have better things to do.  So should you.

Apple can do no wrong. The Maps apps may work for YOU, but there are millions of people, for which this apps has been a step backwards. Actually the biggest praise has be coming from China and everyone else has been dumbfounded by such an early release. In all your comments it is ME ME ME, sorry but Apple has a bigger consumer base and their admit that the app is not has polished as it should be. As for 'whining' people, we will keep on giving our feedback, to ensure that Maps meets apple standard expected by us the consumer.

If you had better things to do, you would not have provided comments, to a article, which is in your mind, is a waste of time.

• Reply 36 of 191

Schmidts comment says no such thing and 'two sources close to the matter' is as much a tabloid trash game as one source. 

i think the reason Google doesn't have an iOS app ready is that they don't plan to make one. rather just have folks go to the site in Mobile Safari as they can now

• Reply 37 of 191
    The stupidity is astounding, I'm not trying to hate on Apple today, or anything like that, but I mean they seriously broke their contract for Google Maps, to release an app that is universally disliked by their customers? Responsibility Apple, responsibility.

Nonsense! It is not universally disliked #1, and you need to read DED's very intelligent and balanced article on Apple and Google maps on this same site posted today. (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/25/inside_ios_6_whats_wrong_with_apples_new_maps )

This is all pure FUD! There are plenty of alternate mapping solutions in the App Store if you really need them. But most importantly, you can still access google maps on EVERY iPhone. That's right, google maps! Just go to their web app and then with one click bookmark it to your home screen. Problem solved. THIS IS ALL A VERY SHORT TERM PROBLEM! Apple is, and will continue, to fix any issues rapidly and by the looks of it actually have a superior product. Lots all put on our big boy pants and stop feeding this ridiculous media hyped frenzy.
  • Reply 38 of 191
    testudines wrote: »
    I never had much luck with the built in Maps app because it sucked up too much bandwidth (causing me to breach my data limit several times) and was too slow. My understanding is that part of my problem had to do with the inefficient way maps were encoded (pixels?) I had a much better experience with a third party app and downloaded maps. Just wondering: does everyone else here consider the old built in Maps app to be the "best solution on the planet"? How did they handle the situations where the data signal was weak? Did they not desire turn by turn directions?

Not best solution on the planet, but certainly better than what iOS replaced it with. I've never had issues regardless of reception unless I'm using satellite / hybrid view, and as far as my experience is concerned, Apple's maps are actually slower to pull than Google's (not to mention that the app itself is much heavier, running at 10-30fps on the iPad 3G and wasting a lot more battery as a result). As a core maps solution, Google Maps was much better than Apple Maps, and since you could easily download TomTom and other such apps for turn by turn navigation, I never saw the need to change anything. The addition of Siri support to the rest of the world is a nice feature, but not one that needed changing the supplier.

The problem with the new maps is that I simply can not trust them. Since even searching for my own street returns nothing despite it being properly charted on the map, there is absolutely no way I can trust that service to do anything like I trusted Google Maps to search for locations and provided me with directions whenever I needed them. For that reason, I am not upgrading to iOS 6.
  • Reply 39 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Apple can do no wrong. The Maps apps may work for YOU, but there are millions of people, for which this apps has been a step backwards. Actually the biggest praise has be coming from China and everyone else has been dumbfounded by such an early release. In all your comments it is ME ME ME, sorry but Apple has a bigger consumer base and their admit that the app is not has polished as it should be. As for 'whining' people, we will keep on giving our feedback, to ensure that Maps meets apple standard expected by us the consumer.

If you had better things to do, you would not have provided comments, to a article, which is in your mind, is a waste of time.

oh really, you talked to millions of people who all told you that they share your opinion that the app is crap. 

your comments are just as much me,me, me, and hyperbolic exaggerations about the extent of the issue. Not to mention just the illogical facts that

1. you can still look at Google Maps on the web

2 there are dozens of other map apps you can use, many free

3. you are comparing a just released item with a service that has had close to 10 full years to develop, was utter crap when it started, and isn't even perfection now. for 3 years I've been sending them weekly bug reports about driving directions that tell folks to go the wrong way down a street that has been one way for a good 10 years and they still haven't fixed it

• Reply 40 of 191
    testudines wrote: »

Totally agree. The google maps app was slow as shit.