Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 361 of 381
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    arthur123 wrote: »
    So Jeff what are you saying. Tim Cook wants the Apple iphone users to be the beta testers for this not ready for prime time mapping program?
    If that is the case they should have included it as a bonus program as part of OS6 and still given users full access to Google maps.
    As an Apple stock holder his apology means nothing. Its offering me a drink with an empty glass.
    If he truly wants people to move forward he needs to bring back the Google App period end of story.

Google Maps has the same thing. Copy and pasted from the bottom line of their direction results:
    "Directions weren't right? Please find your route on maps.google.com and click "Report a problem" at the bottom left."

By your metric, doesn't that mean that Google Maps is a beta product?
  • Reply 362 of 381
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Google Maps has the same thing. Copy and pasted from the bottom line of their direction results:

"Directions weren't right? Please find your route on maps.google.com and click "Report a problem" at the bottom left."

By your metric, doesn't that mean that Google Maps is a beta product?

well. . .

it IS a beta product, even after all these years. I wonder what Google's criteria are to move it to a finished product? Perhaps it will always be considered a work in progress considering the big changes to both the maps and features on a regular basis.

• Reply 363 of 381

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

it IS a beta product, even after all these years.

Don't see "beta" on the page anywhere. Unlike Gmail, of course. If Google Maps can be considered beta without advertising itself as such, so can Apple Maps. There go all the complaints out the window.

• Reply 365 of 381

Thanks for the clarification. While the Android application seems to be, the platform itself does not report itself as such.

• Reply 366 of 381
    pussy.
  • Reply 367 of 381
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Tim Cook acted like a ceo should, Apple made a mistake, they admitted it, they are trying to fix the problem, it will get better, it will take time. Lets all move on, google maps will be a app in the app store soon. Competition=Cunsumer wins. 

Cook didn't say that (he didn't say "google maps will be a app in the app store soon").

I think it's an unfortunate letter from Tim Cook.

First, if you're really so confident about your decisions in such a way you believe you can improve your product by doing the opposite to your users preferences, it's absurd to write this apology letter (I can't imagine Jobs writing it).

Second, if you really wished to apologize, you've to put a remedy, and the remedy your users are asking isn't third-party alternatives, but to bring back the google maps app you smashed on a rash and bad decision.

• Reply 368 of 381
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

The good thing is that this is a software issue.  The iPhone5 hardware seems to have drawn no major issues, [...]

Well, to be honest, there's also "scuffgate", and it seems there's an important number of people having to admit scuffs and scratches on their brand new phone, while Schiller says "iPhone 5 scratches and chips are normal"...

• Reply 369 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSF View Post

I doubt Google will lose that much over time. They will build a kick-ass Maps apps that many users will utilize regardless of the state of Apple maps.

Which begs the question, why haven't they done so by now?

• Reply 370 of 381

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Which begs the question, why haven't they done so by now?

Doesn't seem like they will, really. What with them dropping Flash for the web version of Google Maps, it seems more likely that Apple has, once again, just pushed the human race forward, both in Maps on their own and in getting their competitors to adopt modern technologies.

• Reply 371 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Actually, you're embarrassing. It's you and apologists like you that makes everyone hate Apple and call it an arrogant cult that's likened to Scientology.

REALITY CHECK: Apple no longer makes the best smartphone and they seem to be headed in the wrong direction with their hubris, as well as their Maps. I was a satisfied user of Apple products and a happy investor in Apple stock, but no longer on both counts. The steady stream of Apple lawsuits and heavy-handedness towards competitors is so reminiscent of the Microsoft of old that it leads me to the conclusion that Apple is now the evil empire they eschewed in their classic 1984 TV commercial introducing the Mac. They are no longer the admirable underdog they once were. Instead, they are a one-trick pony telling the world that the iPhone is best and to take what they offer like a lemming.

I've dumped the iPhone for a Windows Phone after I saw the iPhone 5 and won't look back. Apple still has enough fanboys and snob appeal to continue to the attract the masses. And what a market shift that is: Apple being the company for the masses! I prefer a rational choice based on price and functionality, not industrial design, and the iPhone no longer seems to be a rational choice.

Samsung's latest commercial really nails the ridiculousness of it all. Kudos to them for saying what everyone outside the bubble is thinking.

I challenge any of you to make a rational argument as to why I'm wrong, but that would be like asking religious fanatics to not believe in their deity, even though science has already proven it doesn't exist except in the mind of man.

Tim Cook was the apologist, not me.  I am not an apologist.  I don't apologize for being an American, nor do I apologize for my principles, my race, my religion and my political views.  This was not a design flaw like an exploding battery, it was an app that effected certain people.  No one drove off a cliff because of the directions, and no one missed work and got fired because they could not find their transit stops.

This has nothing to do with being an Apple fan.  It has everything to do with our society today.  Always offending someone's sensitive feelings, feeling we must apologize for something no matter the case.  I don't apologize for liking Apple products, nor do I expect fans of other brands to do the same.  Buy what you want, that's what you should do.  I buy products I like and can afford.  I don't care if three people like the same products or millions prefer the same products.  It has no impact in my purchasing decision whatsoever.  

You bought a Windows phone because Apple didn't live up to a 30 year old commercial.  Again that is your reason. I don't pretend to understand it, but I won't insult it.  Nor should you insult people who believe differently.

• Reply 372 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doesn't seem like they will, really. What with them dropping Flash for the web version of Google Maps, it seems more likely that Apple has, once again, just pushed the human race forward, both in Maps on their own and in getting their competitors to adopt modern technologies.

In the end, people will come to realize that hopefully.

• Reply 373 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The maps in iOS 6 is so bad, they could not even get Los Angeles right.  Hello...major metropolitan city and they got that wrong.  Compare the LA Zoo in both Google and Apple Maps.  The Apple Maps doesn't even have a parking lot completed, and the streets are incomplete.  I am going to the LA Zoo this weekend to catch the shuttle to the Hollywood Bowl.  If I use Apple Maps, it won't get me there because Apple Maps think some streets are not yet completed.  Google Maps have all the streets intact.  Apple should have been able to obtain current map data.  That is why I downgraded to iOS 5.1.1.  

I am curious.  Would the turn-by-turn directions be effected or just the maps you view?

• Reply 374 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Let the class action lawsuits begin.

You know it's coming.  Suing over a free app is not out of the realm of possibility for some attorneys.  Mental anguish would be my guess.

• Reply 375 of 381
    If I were Tim Cook, I would just buy a small company like Waze. Problem solved!
  • Reply 376 of 381
  • Reply 377 of 381
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

See this -> http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/09/28/apple-maps-tim-cook-waze-bump/

• Reply 378 of 381
    chris_ca wrote: »

Good read. Thanks.

Looks like Waze might not be buyable (by Apple's standards of paying a low amount for a company) but it's certainly something I think they should buy. It would certainly be a synergistic fit.

I did notice that Apple already licenses Waze for their Apple Maps and that it wasn't mentioned in the article. With Waze and their unlimited funds Apple should be able to beat Google Maps within a couple years if they do the proper investing.
  • Reply 379 of 381
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Here's the rest of Cook's apologies for the week:
    http://scoopertino.com/tim-cook-goes-on-apology-binge/
  • Reply 380 of 381
    Google's iOS 5 map app is far superior to Apple's iOS 6 map app:

1) Traffic. Not even close.
    2) Street View. Apple doesn't have it.
    3) Data. Google has far more streets and other data.
    4) Accuracy. Google destroys Apple.

iSheep blind to the truth.