Apple rumored to send out 'iPad mini' event invitations on Oct. 10

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

If this thing had a cellular voice, it would have been a huge insult to the retardroid community as no Android phablet could beat this screen size :-)

• Reply 42 of 118
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    visualzone wrote: »
    I hear it's only going to be 8GBs at a price between $250.00 to 300.00US.

elmsley wrote: »
    So if this is true, I guess it makes the job of mac sales easy.
    1) How big?
    2) How much do you want to spend?
    How can you compete with that, seriously?

I'm assuming it'll match the Touch's specs with a $50 premium. So entry level A4 model with 16GB for $249 and higher end A5 32GB model for $349.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Apple II wrote: »
    It's not exactly the same form factor. Kindle Fire and most other tablets are 16:9, which is horrible for a tablet as they are basically made for landscape use only. Portrait view on a 16:9 tablet looks awkward, wrong and retarded.

iPads are 4:3, which is just right for a tablet as it looks great when used in both landscape and portrait. iPads are made for use in all orientations, Android tablets are not.
    I don't disagree, except for whom is this tablet targeted?

It seems to me this tablet is aimed more at gamers and movie viewers who want a more portable, and cheaper tablet than the iPad. It certainly won't support the same apps as the iPad (I.e. iPhoto, etc) ... At least I hope. It will still do books, which I agree will look a bit strange in portrait. However, if that's secondary to the reason you buy it, then it's really no different than watching a letter-boxed movie on the iPad, which is arguably an inferior experience than a native 16:9 tablet, nor the reason you bought that device either.

And there's potential here that this tablet will replace the iPod Touch, depending on how well each sell over the next year.

Unrelated to your post, I seriously doubt the Bezels will be that thin. It's not an I phone that can be held in the palm of the hand. It still needs room for the complete thumb so when held in portrait mode, the thumb does not accidentally trigger the screen.
  • Reply 44 of 118
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm assuming it'll match the Touch's specs with a $50 premium. So entry level A4 model with 16GB for $249 and higher end A5 32GB model for $349.

yuck... if it had specs similar to an iPhone 5 I'd get it ... I don't want a smaller iPad because of price, I'll pay more for it if I have to... i just want a smaller iPad.  If thats the specs I may end up staying iPad-less, and going Android.

• Reply 45 of 118

I'll believe it when I see it. Usually the rumor mill is accurate (barring the Apple television) but in this case, I'm slightly doubting it.

• Reply 46 of 118
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And, yet, you've never explained why an iPad Mini would be "the same terrible things it did in the '90s".

I think he just means fragmentization 

• Reply 47 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

…that insight is exactly Zero. Apple has proven you wrong about absolutely all of your predictions.

And you're immediately discredited for lying through your teeth! Great job.

I'm shocked how you can still have the hubris and narcissism to put your opinions on such a high pedestal and pretend you have a clue.

*waits for someone else to latch onto the irony*

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I think he just means fragmentization 

Don't really care about that in this case.

Design by committee. Giving people what they think they want or what the market thinks it wants. Filling every microscopic niche for no logical reason.

• Reply 48 of 118

Anyone have any insight on how this impacts the release of the iPod Nano? My iPod broke a day before the release event and I'm holding out for a new one.

I know they have said "October" but any speculation on when?

• Reply 49 of 118
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Monday's rumor comes from an unidentified "major Apple investor"

Doesn't anyone find that suspicious? Since when do investors have access to this kind of information?
  • Reply 50 of 118

Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Since when do investors have access to this kind of information?

Since Apple's stock seems to be one of the more manipulated recently. image

• Reply 51 of 118
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Just provoking, you mean. Don't you know the difference between a phone and a tablet?
    16:9 is a terrible size for a tablet because it becomes a plank, and it is no good for portrait as Apple 2 says.
    It's also terrible for a phone that is so wide that you have to type with two hands. But it's perfect for a small phone that you can thumb-type with one hand.
    If Apple knows how to do anything, it's to match form with function, and device with market.
    Stop sayin . . .
    By the way, I don't remember anyone saying 16:9 was a bad ratio for a phone. Prove it.

Prove it yourself. Prove to me that Apple all of a sudden just decided that 16:9 is the way to go, that Apple couldn't get that form factor figured out in the original iPhone. That only recently was it possible or whatever bull your want to spew. That Apple's original wasn't a mistake or that to get to the top row of icons now you don't have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H your thumb. Go ahead- make my day.
  • Reply 52 of 118
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Design by committee. Giving people what they think they want or what the market thinks it wants. Filling every microscopic niche for no logical reason.

My apologies for opening Pandora's box.  It was a feeble attempt at a joke.

Having said that, if not me, someone else would have said it ;-)

• Reply 53 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Prove it yourself. Prove to me that Apple all of a sudden just decided that 16:9 is the way to go, that Apple couldn't get that form factor figured out in the original iPhone. That only recently was it possible or whatever bull your want to spew. That Apple's original wasn't a mistake or that to get to the top row of icons now you don't have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H your thumb. Go ahead- make my day.

I'll give it a shot. There are probably some people in Apple who still feel the original size is better. I liked it, but the new one fits in my pocket just fine too. The new phone form factor appears to be a series of compromises as all design decisions are in this industry. The new dock connector and the smaller sim slot, along other miniaturization of components allowed to slightly increase the screen size without adversely affecting the usability. The slightly larger size also provides more space for battery and in a small way addresses the feature request from users to increase the size of the screen.

• Reply 54 of 118

…that to get to the top row of icons now you don't have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H your thumb.

I'm just under 6'2". Do my hands, which don't have to do this to perform said task, count?

• Reply 55 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What irony? Point me to something I've said, ANYTHING that I've ever said, where I call Apple 'foolish' simply for coming out with a product that *I* might personally not buy, but who anyone with a shred of sanity realizes will sell extremely well and have a massive addressable market. This is your problem. Time again time again, Apple is "foolish" for not catering their products and strategy towards YOUR specific, niche requirements. Yes, this shows narcissism, and an utter lack of perspective and reasoning. Same with the iPhone 5 name and screen size, no matter how successfu the product is, and how much praise it gets from reviewers and customers, you're too proud to change your stance that both the name and screen size are just epic levels of failure, incompetence, foolishness, and catastrophe from Apple. You live in your own world where reality plays no factor, and any opinion you give needs to have sensationalism ratcheted up to ludicrous levels. 

• Reply 56 of 118
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

I'm fairly average size, my hands are pretty average, too.  I don't have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H my thumb to reach the top row at all.  Out of curiosity, do you have the iPhone 5?  If not, have you at least tried it in an Apple store or a carrier store?

I was a little concerned about it at first, but after a few hours with it, I don't think I'd like to go back to the 4s size.  The iP5 really is the perfect size.

• Reply 57 of 118
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    I was hoping that any October Event would focus on new Macs - not iOS devices...
  • Reply 58 of 118

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Time again time again, Apple is "foolish" for not catering their products and strategy towards YOUR specific, niche requirements.

My 'niche', which falls within the majority share they already explicitly serve, you mean? 

You live in your own world where reality plays no factor, and any opinion you give needs to have sensationalism ratcheted up to ludicrous levels. 

Yes. You do. Please get help for whatever makes you say these disturbing things… 

????

Basically, we're the same person. Just about equally vocal on this sort of thing, too. image I'll jump to defend Apple against idiocy and ludicrousness just as fast as you will. The difference really is that not only can I accept that Apple CAN fail, I accept that not every Planck Decision they make is perfect.

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

I was hoping that any October Event would focus on new Macs - not iOS devices...

"Welcome to our company name. Notice there is no 'Computer' in it." 

And I can't find the dang image I've used before. The one where it's actively being removed… 

• Reply 59 of 118
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    mstone wrote: »
    I'll give it a shot. There are probably some people in Apple who still feel the original size is better. I liked it, but the new one fits in my pocket just fine too. The new phone form factor appears to be a series of compromises as all design decisions are in this industry. The new dock connector and the smaller sim slot, along other miniaturization of components allowed to slightly increase the screen size without adversely affecting the usability. The slightly larger size also provides more space for battery and in a small way addresses the feature request from users to increase the size of the screen.

The old form factor IMHO was better. You could have easily achieved an extra row of icons by removing the button and having a screen that physically depressed to achieve the same goal. And you wouldnt have to stretch your thumb either. I expect down the road that the iPhone will shrink again in size and return to its original form factor yet maintain the new down row of icons and its 16:9 ratio. Physical buttons are bad design. - look at the 3gen iPod.
  • Reply 60 of 118
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

I really see a problem in Apple no longer being to surprise us, because rumors are getting more and more accurate everyday. I'd love they've unexpected stuff for this event, but it seems it's going to be just like the iPhone 5 event (ie: just a replay of the info already available through rumors).

At least I hope it won't be called any of the circulating names (iPad mini or iPad Air)... if it's one of these names, then, man, they no longer need to do presentation events, just redirect people to rumor sites...