Apple rumored to send out 'iPad mini' event invitations on Oct. 10

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's nothing more eye-rollingly ridiculous than you desperately trying to tie Apple's actions today to the '90s', using shockingly bad and irrelevant analogies. Yes, because you don't agree with a particular decision then it's paramount of Apple 'doing the same terrible things it did in the 90s'. We've all seen how much insight you have into anything Apple might or might not do, and your predictions of success or failure, and that insight is exactly Zero. Apple has proven you wrong about absolutely all of your predictions. I'm shocked how you can still have the hubris and narcissism to put your opinions on such a high pedestal and pretend you have a clue. You can say you're not personally interested in an iPad mini. But no, that doesn't work for you, you need to say the above, with the usual sensational doom and gloom, about a product that may quite possibly be their most successful ever. Unreal. You're no different than the typical troll here, where reality doesn't phase you or have any impact on your worldview. 

Dude that is deep. Let me go find some alcohol, get high and then read it again. 

• Reply 102 of 118
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I just don't see it going anywhere but up. People aren't wanting a 15" iMac again.

Apple doesn't seem to be into the specialty market. They don't cut corners on usability for the sake of niches. MacBook Air is an ultraportable, but its keyboard is the same size as the MacBook Pro's, for example. There's no smaller, dumber, less useful iPhone, there's just last year's full model.

I see your reasoning, even agree with it, but I'm thinking there's a wild card in the deck, and it's a non-rational Joker.

Eddy Cue said he liked the size and tried to get SJ to come around. Let's say they did a working mock-up and gave it out to some in-house kids and studied the heck out of how friendly it was for little fingers and hands. Maybe mothers started kwelling over it as well. And so on. Stuff we don't know, but stuff they think hard about.

Like Tim said two coference calls ago, "We're going to innovate like crazy in this [tablet] space." Maybe they have a larger one in the works, as well as the 3D one everybody's going to bitch endlessly about when it gets rumored. I really am eager to see what they come up with, and whether it will fly. Dan Lyons, who will by then be writing for DigiTimes, will say Apple has lost it for sure this time, and then they'll sell five million before Christmas.
  • Reply 103 of 118
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope there are new iMacs announced.

I hope there is a refreshed iPad released.  With the A6 and lightning connector. 

• Reply 104 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It's called preference evolution. (Actually, I'm making that up, but it's true anyway.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

...and let the kids chip away at the saplings with hatchets.

...on the above 2 quotes, love the use of creative writing, Flaneur.  Keep it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just don't see it going anywhere but up. People aren't wanting a 15" iMac again.

Apple doesn't seem to be into the specialty market. They don't cut corners on usability for the sake of niches. MacBook Air is an ultraportable, but its keyboard is the same size as the MacBook Pro's, for example. There's no smaller, dumber, less useful iPhone, there's just last year's full model.

Unfortunately, I think that the (desired) modes of viewing are increasing in all directions/dimensions.  I hate to say it, but society is becoming accustomed (or wanting) to experience media and information in more places, methods and derivatives.  And because of this, people are more open to screens of various sizes depending on their situation.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if flip phones make a comeback.  Likewise, we'll probably see greater popularity of large projections as well (e.g. pico projectors?), producing high resolution images 40"-100".  People should spend more time with each other and out with nature but it appears that info access is still gaining in important...and I thought the worldwide web was just a fad (/s).

• Reply 105 of 118
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Hover over any username. The ignore function is there now.

Not "any". It won't let me block you. I'm sure a lot of users of this forum are looking for that feature by now.
  • Reply 106 of 118
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    bsenka wrote: »
    Not "any". It won't let me block you. I'm sure a lot of users of this forum are looking for that feature by now.

Word? :lol:
  • Reply 107 of 118
    p lp l Posts: 64member

I believe Apple has and is filling the niches also; Computers, multiple sizes, Laptops, multiple sizes, Monitors, multiple sizes, etc. etc. and hopefully ipads soon to be multiple sizes!

• Reply 108 of 118
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Windows sells well. Must be good. Great reviews and such.

Irrelevant

• Reply 109 of 118
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Why is now something that Jobs considered a bad idea a "good idea"? Samsng and ASUS make some, and Apple has to "innovatively" copy?

I don't care, though. I'm not going to buy either, iPad's the size for me ^^
  • Reply 110 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I think people like to "justify" why they won't be buying one.  I suppose it's better than my method, which apparently is to try to buy one of everything Apple makes. Having said that, I like my iPad but as I mentioned, I can see my family buying one of these, too.  Then the kids can use the iPad 2 exclusively.

I want an MBA but i have two iPads (2 and a Retina).  Is it terribly redundant?  I think the only way I can justify it is to wait until they release a retina MBA, or just skip it and get a MBP instead.

Personally, I'm just annoyed at people who diss Android products  based on the form factor until Apple has an equivalent, and then the form factor is magically not the problem anymore, it becomes "the OS". Yeah, sure. High credibility. 

So for my part, I hate the form factor and I'll keep saying so. It won't prevent me from buying the "new new iPad", or whatever it gets called, which is the right form factor, for me.

• Reply 111 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Irrelevant

Quite relevant, actually, if I judge by Ai standards.

Android sucks because "iPhone sold 5M units in the first week", "Android makers would dream to have their products sell 'quite smooth'", etc, etc, according to Ai commenters.

So in the same way, if Windows 8 is appreciated and people actually buy it, it is relevant to say so.

• Reply 112 of 118
    rlowerlowe Posts: 21member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Why is now something that Jobs considered a bad idea a "good idea"? Samsng and ASUS make some, and Apple has to "innovatively" copy?

I don't care, though. I'm not going to buy either, iPad's the size for me ^^

If this thing became real, Apple would really damage their own reputation as an "innovator".

• Reply 113 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    bsenka wrote: »
    Hover over any username. The ignore function is there now.

You can use this. Works for me.
    javascript: (function() { var ass = 'Tallest%20Skil';var uid = 78766;var theQuotes = document.getElementsByClassName('quote-block');for (var i = 0; i < theQuotes.length; i++) {        var str = theQuotes[i].innerHTML;        if (str.indexOf('Originally Posted by <strong>'+ass+'</strong>') >= 0) {                theQuotes[i].innerHTML = '<span style=\'color:red;font=family:Arial;\'>BLOCKED</span>';        }}var thePosts = document.getElementsByClassName('single-post mod-select-parent status_115 user-id-'+uid+' left-post-container');for (var i = 0; i < thePosts.length; i++) {        var str = thePosts[i].innerHTML;        if (str.indexOf('rel="nofollow">'+ass+'</a') >= 0) {                thePosts[i].innerHTML = '<span style=\'color:red;font=family:Arial;\'>BLOCKED</span>';        }}})()

• Reply 114 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Yeah, that's why Apple would NEVER release a 3.5" computing device.

And Apple would never introduce a 10" tablet when everyone's used to 13-15" laptops.

And Apple would never drop the 17" MBP from its lineup - after all, everyone wants bigger devices.

You're looking in your rear view mirror......with your eyes closed.
  • Reply 115 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Of course. image

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Irrelevant

So are any points you've made, then. ???

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah, that's why Apple would NEVER release a 3.5" computing device.

And Apple would never introduce a 10" tablet when everyone's used to 13-15" laptops.

And Apple would never drop the 17" MBP from its lineup - after all, everyone wants bigger devices.

You're looking in your rear view mirror......with your eyes closed.

First point's invalid with the newest iPhone and invalid because it was the introduction of a new market, 

Second point's invalid because it was the introduction of a new market,

Third point makes sense.

Why wouldn't you just go with that one? Then we could talk about why that was the case; was it the price? The lack of power to justify the size?

• Reply 116 of 118
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    And I can't find the dang image I've used before. The one where it's actively being removed… 

• Reply 117 of 118
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

This particular button takes up wasted space. If you could depress the screen ( in effect one big button a la Magic Trackpad ) you would achieve the same desired goal.

The study of history can be quite amusing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Storm

Cheers

• Reply 118 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Ehh I don't know about that, all potential unveilings make their way around the tech universe. Other than the iPhone, none really make it to mainstream.

Isn't that the point?  A company is going to be happier having it make it to the mainstream than just the tech industry.