Apple rumored to send out 'iPad mini' event invitations on Oct. 10

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I wonder who will be first to remember that I'm a girl. And yet mine is STILL bigger.

Ah, you own a Galaxy Note. Gotcha.

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Except, of course, for usernames of global moderators.

And admins! image

• Reply 82 of 118

The sandpaper joke would be funny, but I don't see a 7.85" iPad as being contradictory to SJ's denigration of the 7" Android tablets he was talking about.

A 7" 16:9 screen is 3.43" wide, a 7.85" 4:3 screen is 4.71" wide—a difference of over 1 1/4 inches. That puts them in completely different categories, if you ask me. (Over 37% wider, in fact.)

• Reply 83 of 118
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Whatever they plan to call it.

iPad 3.5: The smallest thing to happen to iPad since iPad.
    a 7.85" 4:3 screen is 4.71" wide

I think the fact that the iPhone is now 1136 x 640 is important. Apps designed for the iPhone 5 don't map to the iPad 2 nor do they pixel-double to the new iPad's 2048 x 1536.

They would however map to 1136 x 768 and pixel double to 2272 x 1536, both of which are almost 3:2 aspect.

Current ipad = 4:3/1.33, A4 paper = 1.41, the above is 1.48, old iPhone = 3:2/1.5.
  • Reply 84 of 118

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

A 7" 16:9 screen is 3.43" wide, a 7.85" 4:3 screen is 4.71" wide—a difference of over 1 1/4 inches. That puts them in completely different categories, if you ask me. (Over 37% wider, in fact.)

Cut an iPad in half and it's the same thing.

• Reply 85 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    No I think we have nailed it down recently. Steve said 7" is not usable and now to make a mini tablet amounts to blasphemy.

And someone who worked with Steve said that he wasn't opposed to a 7".

What you're referring to was marketing-speak from the time Apple had only a 10" tablet while a lot of competitors had 7" tablets. What was Jobs supposed to do-praise the 7" tablets?
    Well, we're seeing that right now! Competitors have offered smaller tablets for years, literally multiple years at this point, and for what?

iPad, at 9.8", still has ~90% useshare. The rest of that isn't really worth spending billions to go after, is it? 

As you've been told before (many, many, many times), that's irrelevant. The fact that 7" tablets with crappy operating systems don't get much use isn't evidence that a 7" iPad wouldn't get much use. Maybe it's the OS that determines usability, not size.
  • Reply 86 of 118
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think it makes perfect sense. Should be a killer Xmas gift for kids.

At least one this way, please. 

• Reply 87 of 118
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If it's not meant to be used as an eReader or a tablet at all, then perhaps.

Build it into a wall in your house for home automation? But a 10" screen would still be better. Far more usable space.

As a replacement for physical dials and rollers in the dashboard of your car? But a 7" screen is still too small for that, and too short in 16:9 (and not wide enough in 3:4).

So no, I still can't think of—nor have I been informed of—any idea where I could see a 7.85" tablet/screen/thing being superior to the iPad we have right now or the iPhone for smaller cases.

Nice switch back to "nice guy" mode. :-)  

Keep dodging, you might even convince yourself you're not a colossal bully/troll.  

The bolded part is a lie as I can think of at least two separate occasions where I gave you several reasons.  

What you should probably say is "I fail to remember or care about the many times people have told me about use cases for the iPad mini." or "Lot's of people have told me about lots of different use-cases for the iPad mini, but I think they are wrong (even though I don't ever say why)."  

In any case it's kind of boring to argue with someone who leaves logic and truth behind when its convenient for them.  And it's annoying to argue with trolls who make posts just to sound important or to browbeat others etc. You fall into both categories AFAICS. 

There are lots of use cases for an iPad mini, and lots of good market related reasons to make one.  I've told you a few, I've seen others tell you some as well.  Your reaction is to simply steadfastly deny that this happened, and assert yet again that "no one has even come up with a good reason."  So ... WTF?  What's the point of even arguing with you on that?  

You're not actually open to a debate about it are you?  You just want to shout about what you think so everyone will pay attention to you some more. 

I'm also fairly certain that you won't win this argument anyway because everyone else is essentially just saying that there *might* be an iPad mini in the works and you are the only one going out on a limb and maintaining this will "never happen."  

Finally, head's up that I'm not going to bother replying on this thread to you anymore so feel free to insert some closing snarky remark that belittles me or makes me seem weak or whatever as you are wont to do.  I know you'd relish it more if I was some blank-eyed newcomer that you could really just let rip on and belittle and humiliate to the point where they don't even come here to post anymore, but it should be sufficiently satisfying to ridicule an old timer like me as well, no?  

• Reply 88 of 118

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As you've been told before (many, many, many times), that's irrelevant. The fact that 7" tablets with crappy operating systems don't get much use isn't evidence that a 7" iPad wouldn't get much use. Maybe it's the OS that determines usability, not size.

I don't really see how it's irrelevant in your given regard when we don't have an iOS device in that size against which to judge. You can't say "these suck, also they don't work. iOS doesn't suck, therefore it WILL work". That doesn't, er, work. Logically.

If the size had inherent worth in these use cases, some people would be moving to it, despite the lack of iOS. People moved to larger phones, somewhat, despite the iPhone remaining the best experience, albeit smaller. The iPad is seeing the opposite.

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What you should probably say is "I fail to remember or care about the many times people have told me about use cases for the iPad mini." or "Lot's of people have told me about lots of different use-cases for the iPad mini, but I think they are wrong (even though I don't ever say why)."  

And speaking of lies… image

There are lots of use cases for an iPad mini, and lots of good market related reasons to make one.

So why aren't ANY of the devices already in that category, the categories that are, apparently, impossible for an iPad to fit into, selling as well as an iPad, which is then used for those purposes? 

You just want to shout about what you think so everyone will pay attention to you some more. 

Oh, I'd do this, then.

I'm also fairly certain that you won't win this argument anyway because everyone else is essentially just saying that there *might* be an iPad mini in the works and you are the only one going out on a limb and maintaining this will "never happen."  

It's hard to have sympathy with your "Tallest Skil always lies" campaign when you're lying about a mess of stuff yourself, you know? 

Finally, head's up that I'm not going to bother replying on this thread to you anymore…

That's generally a good sign that the argument the person has is solid, yeah? Just giving up and leaving? Glad you said your piece, though, even if it was partially wrong.

• Reply 89 of 118
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Cut an iPad in half and it's the same thing.

Man. if this thing does come out and turns out to sell well... you are going to get hammm-errrd!!

Not that it matters and not that you won't enjoy it. 

• Reply 90 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

What you're referring to was marketing-speak from the time Apple had only a 10" tablet while a lot of competitors had 7" tablets. What was Jobs supposed to do-praise the 7" tablets?

Oh I know, but as far as TS is concerned, the former is just hearsay and the latter holy gospel.

• Reply 91 of 118

Quote:

Yes...and also, it's a (Tallest's) mistake to perceive the future based on a current snapshot in time... this is one instance that Apple's commitment to the future may overcome their desire to stick with past (mostly irrelevant) philosophies.  People are buying 7" appliances and they want to buy more.  Whether or not the market is big enough or valid enough is probably only something that Apple's long R&D/Marketing arms knows for sure...not I.

• Reply 92 of 118

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Man. if this thing does come out and turns out to sell well... you are going to get hammm-errrd!!

Windows sells well. Must be good. Great reviews and such.

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Oh I know, but as far as TS is concerned, the former is just hearsay and the latter holy gospel.

Yes, this isn't a total lie.

• Reply 93 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope there are new iMacs announced.
  • Reply 94 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope there are new iMacs announced.

I need a new iMac for home. I just bought the rMBP but I really don't use a notebook/laptop that much. Mostly when I travel which is only a half dozen times a year or occasionally when I have to give a live presentation, but that is only a few times a year. I was thinking that instead of an iMac perhaps I should consider a new Cinema Display instead and use my rMBP docked as my home machine. But the Cinemas are getting a bit long in the tooth also so I am still undecided.

• Reply 95 of 118
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    Yes...and also, it's a (Tallest's) mistake to perceive the future based on a current snapshot in time... this is one instance that Apple's commitment to the future may overcome their desire to stick with past (mostly irrelevant) philosophies.  People are buying 7" appliances and they want to buy more.  Whether or not the market is big enough or valid enough is probably only something that Apple's long R&D/Marketing arms knows for sure...not I.

This is an extremely important point. People's preferences and expectations evolve as they get used to a new product category. The first iPad wouldn't have worked at all at 8" but after 2 + years of a 10" iPad, the 8" will seem cute and desireable as all get-out. Irresistable.

What has happened? People's brains have been opened up and rewired by the first iconic tablet. The new little one is now seen as the adorable mini version. Watch, it will sell like crazy for these totally irrational, emotional reasons.

Only the product prototypes in the hands of the designers and engineers can inform the decision to go ahead with a new form. We are working blind and numb here, with nothing to go by but our own personal predilections and imaginations. Thus the divide between the enthusiasts and the esteemed Global Moderator.

This is also an answer to iSheldon's nonserious trashtalk about why the iPhone wasn't 16:9 from the beginning, if that aspect is so great now. Aside from the technical reasons listed by mstone, the long iPhone would have been awkward in 2007. Now hands and eyes are ready for it. It's called preference evolution. (Actually, I'm making that up, but it's true anyway.)
  • Reply 96 of 118

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

The first iPad wouldn't have worked at all at 8"…

But why?

• Reply 97 of 118
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    But why?

Because it would have been too small, just like SJ said. But now that the forest has been cleared, we can rest on our axes and let the kids chip away at the saplings with hatchets.

Remember 2 years ago how hard it was to sell people on the idea of a tablet at all? Now we're ready for specialty tablet-ettes. Tabletitos?

Edit: would probably be tabletitas, feminine, no?
  • Reply 98 of 118

As far as the iPhone's size goes, how much does anybody want to bet that the same people who were bitching about it being too big and stretching out your pocket in 2007, are the same ones now who are predicting its demise because it's not the size of a tombstone?

• Reply 99 of 118
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Ah, I was just making a poor attempt at a joke, I know your disdain for the iPad Mini. or iPad Air. Or iPod Maxi.

MaxiPad

• Reply 100 of 118

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Because it would have been too small, just like SJ said. But now that the forest has been cleared, we can rest on our axes and let the kids chip away at the saplings with hatchets.

I just don't see it going anywhere but up. People aren't wanting a 15" iMac again.

Apple doesn't seem to be into the specialty market. They don't cut corners on usability for the sake of niches. MacBook Air is an ultraportable, but its keyboard is the same size as the MacBook Pro's, for example. There's no smaller, dumber, less useful iPhone, there's just last year's full model.