Samsung expected to launch 'Galaxy S3 Mini' at Oct. 11 event

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    perpetual3 wrote: »
    Are you really trying to equate Android fragmentation to the iPhone 5, which ONLY differs in regards to carrier, color, and memory capacity? 

Android fragmentation = fundamental variations amongst hardware platforms making application support and OS updating difficult, if not in some cases impossible.

iOS fragmentation = easy OS updatability and universal application support not just among iPhones but amongst iDevices?

Do you not see how illogical and irrational your claims make you seem?

Does that not worry you that you are so illogically and irrational attached to you "Android" that you promote false, nonsensical views?

Had you paid attention to what I was replying to you would know I did no such thing but you couldn't wait to spew your asinine rhetoric of what you believed I was saying. The SGS lll was being discussed and not all of Android, and yes there are 2 versions of the SGS lll because Samsung's Exynos processor doesn't play well with LTE chipsets. iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's but has grown as of late and will grow more if the iPad mini is released.
  • Reply 62 of 127
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    isheldon wrote: »
    Funny I feel the exact same way about an iPad mini too.

I'd call you a tool but 1) that would be a personal attack, and 2) by definition a tool has at least one useful purpose to its existence.
  • Reply 63 of 127
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

…a tool has at least one useful purpose to its existence.

• Reply 64 of 127
    whodawhoda Posts: 29member
    Um, this doesn't make any sense to me. I thought 4" screens were crap, and anything less than 4.8" was worthless? Hmmmm.....
  • Reply 65 of 127
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Had you paid attention to what I was replying to you would know I did no such thing but you couldn't wait to spew your asinine rhetoric of what you believed I was saying. The SGS lll was being discussed and not all of Android, and yes there are 2 versions of the SGS lll because Samsung's Exynos processor doesn't play well with LTE chipsets. iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's but has grown as of late and will grow more if the iPad mini is released.

There are two distinct architectures developers have to consider but there are also GPU type and RAM quantity, too. Since when does a game maker not need to worry about such things in order to gauge performance. With the iPhone a company needs only need to buy one new iPhone to test their app throughly. With the Galaxy SIII the only that's possible is to buy the very weakest model, test well below it's limits and hope there are no other hiccups with the different CPU and GPU designs.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    hjb wrote: »
     That is the world-class fragmentation, a great innovation feature that comes with iPhone5, imo.
    The apps might not look as pretty but they work.

Unlike how with Android apps there are cases of an app tested with say the Kindle Fire won't work in the Galaxy Tab due to changes in the OS on each device.
  • Reply 67 of 127
    I suspect this is true. The reason these phones grew so large was because of the need for a marketable feature that Apple wouldn't have for awhile. That was LTE. It required a lot of room for a hot chip that required a lot of power thus a larger battery. Unless Samung stole T.A.R.D.I.S. tech from the Time Lords they (et al.) had to make a bigger phone to include LTE.

If the person isn't bright they might think that bigger is better like with their HDTV screen because they won't realise they have to carry and hold this device. They also won't realize that a bigger battery doesn't equate to a longer battery life if the components use a lot more power ([URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153116/apple-looking-into-hybrid-wireless-headphones-for-active-users#post_2204957]see iSheldon's post in the wireless headphones thread[/URL]). Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. There are certainly people with bad eyesight, very large hands, or some atypical preference for 5" phone, but it's certainly not the norm.

Now we're on the 3rd gen LTE chips (which is also the 2nd gen Qualcomm Gobi chips). Apple moved on this at the right time. Not too soon, not too late. They get 8 hours from 4G LTE and 8 hours from 3G. This is huge! Even AnandTech stated last year that the [I]then[/I] Phone 5 (aka, iPhone 4S) would not get LTE because the tech wasn't mature enough to put it not only a super thin phone but one from a company showed incredible value for battery life over simply being able to put a stamp on a game of Tech Spec BINGO.

Now that 3rd gen LTE with the 32nm lithography is on the market it's time to wrangle that wasted space back. I suspect we'll see plenty of extra large Android phone displays that simply get thinner — it'll be easier to best the iPhone 5 that way since it'll still be substantially more internal space — but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Samsung Galaxy S III Mini outsell its big brother.
  • Reply 68 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

My apologies in so far as my comments attacked your character.

Personally, I find it extremely confusing to discuss the SGSIII as anything but Android, with the issue of "fragmentation" being an Android issue due to the wide variety of hardware configurations leading to application, OS, and update incompatibility.   While I accept that you *meant* to refer ONLY to the the SGSIII and not Android, the issue itself is intimately tied up within Android itself.   To try and separate the two is conceptually difficult, and to imply that I carelessly, recklessly, and/or stupidly overlooked or ignored your point could come across as pretentious and potentially offensive.  

But I understand:  you were defending your character, and again, I apologize.

While I admit that my post in question was rhetorical, and intended to be so, it can't really be as asinine as you think since you essentially agree with me when you say "iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's."  

However, to make the point again:

OS fragmentation is qualitatively different than Android, including the SGSIII, to the point where describing it as such confuses the meaning of the word with the issues that surround the phenomena.

Apple has succeeded in offering different hardware configurations that do not suffer from fragmentation, in so far as the overwhelming majority of apps work across the various configurations, and that all supported (i.e. non-discontinued) configurations can have the OS updated.

Apple successfully allows for different devices to share the same underlying iOS relatively easily (compared to all other competitors) in much the same way that Mac OS X can be installed on a number of different computers, from different years, with diffrernt components, etc. 

Finally, whether or not Apple "fragmentation" will grow if the iPad mini is released, is presumptuous.  

Have you used an iPad mini?

Let's wait and see exactly what happens if/when it is released.

I would bet that Apple successfully avoids fragmentation if it decides to release the device.

• Reply 69 of 127
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The apps might not look as pretty but they work.

Unlike how with Android apps there are cases of an app tested with say the Kindle Fire won't work in the Galaxy Tab due to changes in the OS on each device.

I am not denying Android fragmentation.  However In Android, you have tons of applications that you could choose from, if you are having an fragmentation issue.  Luckly, my Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean did not have any fragmentation issue.

I would be really upset if my iPhone 5 kept showing black bars (especially if I had a white one).  Most of all, I wouldn't be able to show mine to my Android friends because it looks exactly same as iPhone 4s but uglier with black bars.

• Reply 70 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There are two distinct architectures developers have to consider but there are also GPU type and RAM quantity, too. Since when does a game maker not need to worry about such things in order to gauge performance. With the iPhone a company needs only need to buy one new iPhone to test their app throughly. With the Galaxy SIII the only that's possible is to buy the very weakest model, test well below it's limits and hope there are no other hiccups with the different CPU and GPU designs.

A great example of the different "types" of fragmentation that apply to Android and iOS.

• Reply 71 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    perpetual3 wrote: »
    My apologies in so far as my comments attacked your character.

Personally, I find it extremely confusing to discuss the SGSIII as anything but Android, with the issue of "fragmentation" being an Android issue due to the wide variety of hardware configurations leading to application, OS, and update incompatibility.   While I accept that you *meant* to refer ONLY to the the SGSIII and not Android, the issue itself is intimately tied up within Android itself.   To try and separate the two is conceptually difficult, and to imply that I carelessly, recklessly, and/or stupidly overlooked or ignored your point could come across as pretentious and potentially offensive.  

But I understand:  you were defending your character, and again, I apologize.

While I admit that my post in question was rhetorical, and intended to be so, it can't really be as asinine as you think since you essentially agree with me when you say "<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">iOSs fragmentation is nowhere near Android's."  </span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">However, to make the point again:</span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">OS fragmentation is qualitatively different than Android, including the SGSIII, to the point where </span>
    describing<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);"> it as such confuses the meaning of the word with the issues that surround the phenomena.</span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">Apple has succeeded in offering different hardware configurations that do not suffer from fragmentation, in so far as the overwhelming majority of apps work </span>
    across<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);"> the various configurations, and that all supported (i.e. non-discontinued) configurations can have the OS updated.</span>

Apple successfully allows for different devices to share the same underlying iOS relatively easily (compared to all other competitors) in much the same way that Mac OS X can be installed on a number of different computers, from different years, with diffrernt components, etc. 

Finally, whether or not Apple "fragmentation" will grow if the iPad mini is released, is presumptuous.  
    Have you used an iPad mini?

Let's wait and see exactly what happens if/when it is released.

I would bet that Apple successfully avoids fragmentation if it decides to release the device.

Fragmentation will be there, Apple will just handle it well.

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet it seems Samsung is impervious to nuclear fallout.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/samsung-electronics-sees-record-high-q3-earnings-2012-10-04?link=MW_latest_news

While Samsung was severely punished for copying it was also very richly rewarded.
  • Reply 72 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sammy, the next "small" thing is already here: the iphone.

I guess Sammy's hedging its bets. They'll release 3", 3.5" and 4" models for the GS3.

Been there, done that. Samsung had 4" Galaxy version back in 2010:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Captivate

Apple is, as always, 2-3 years late

• Reply 73 of 127
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

Very simple concept, inspired by and straight up copying. Samsung straight up copy. "I think everyone copies each other".... Replace "copies" with inspired by and I would agree with that point.

inspired < copied < stole

• Reply 74 of 127
    Samsung needs to stay away from imitating every single item Apple sells. They claim they are original want to protect their ideas and innovation. There is none when they do this, it's not the way to do it. They need to develop a revolutionary product of their own to be a leader or show they have any imagination or innovation. They make fun of the smaller smartphone even in their commercials, and they go and make one to try and kill the iPhone. That says it all. So many articles are always saying look what Samsung is copying now, cords, ear pods, the Mac Mini, Apple TV, the list goes on. They have always been bent on this kill Apple trend, since the first iPhone came out. They say smaller screens and phones are not good, only their huge screens on their phones are, then do this. Why not release a brand new device, or designs that are totally original, that would be cool.
  • Reply 75 of 127
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Except an iPad mini would be the competition's worst nightmare in the tablet space.

Only if it costs$199.
  • Reply 76 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

I am not denying Android fragmentation...

I am denying it. 

Android has a single SDK resolution independent OS. It works with various phone sizes, tablets and even digital cameras.

iOS, on the other hand, is "pixel-perfect" and resolution dependent: iPhone version (3 resolutions), iPod version, iPad (2 resolutions) , Apple TV. iOS is the one with fragmentation: a nightmare for developers. 

• Reply 77 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

$1 Billion verdict.  I don't have to say anything else.

That's starting to look like chum change these days... http://www.cnbc.com/id/49295558

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why not? If you're going to have fragmentation, why not make it world-class fragmentation?

We already have several different Galaxy SIII phones. Some have 1 GB of RAM, others have 2 GB. Some have dual core processors, others have quad core. Why not add a few different sizes, as well?

We already have several different  iphones. Some have 512MB of RAM, others have 1 GB. Some have single core processors, others have dual core. Why not add a few different sizes, as well? 

...oh yea they did that too. Your point is right, but your example fails pretty badly. 

• Reply 78 of 127
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

I am denying it. 

Android has a single SDK resolution independent OS. It works with various phone sizes, tablets and even digital cameras.

iOS, on the other hand, is "pixel-perfect" and resolution dependent: iPhone version (3 resolutions), iPod version, iPad (2 resolutions) , Apple TV. iOS is the one with fragmentation: a nightmare for developers. 

Thanks for the information.  So, why members here keep saying it as an issue?  I am just curious.

• Reply 79 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

I am denying it. 

Which is why there are so few apps in the iOS App Store and most apps are on the Android Market first then eventually migrate to iOS.

• Reply 80 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

That's too harsh.

As long as the screen size is concern, Samsung had it first (the S was 4 inch).  And what Samsung copied Apple again?  If you are looking for true copies of original, find Swiss...& Braun..  (could be more).  They are the true copies of Apple, but wait... 

Yeah right the $1 Billion verdict.  I don't know what you have to say when the tide turns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

I think everyone copies each other. In fact, I can't stop thinking about Braun T3 Radio when I look at iPods or iPhones; or Braun's LEI speaker when Apple's iMac.  We'll talk when Apple comes up with something *original*.

Apple lost the GUI lawsuit against Microsoft years back; there are still Apple fanboys out there claiming that Microsoft, a legitimate licensee of Xerox's patents, stole Apple's GUI. So what's your point again?

PS. I have no doubt Samsung piggybacked on Apple's successful marketin

Is there a Google Android guide book on how to post in all apple forums?  There has got to be.  I think Google has a team of 800 people in some secret location scouring the internet with some new anti-apple search algorithm finding anything that can be said about Apple and than is written in text and distributed amongst all these people.  I bet it's very intuitive too as it gives you the topic and a variety of counter points to be used.

So let me get this straight.  Apple's John Ive's is influenced by a designer in the 60's, and it's no secret that his designs are heavily influenced as that happens from one generation to the next, and all I hear from you people is Apple copies.  It somehow reminds you of it so much that when you see an iPod you think of it even though you probably never owned one or, I'm sure, never seen one in life.  That's what the guide book says right?

We are talking about influence from a past generation where there is no competition to be had with, and is an ode to timeless designs.  Samsung copies the iPhone to obviously gain success off the market leader in the same generation while in direct competition and when they are taken to court and lose, it's still Apple that is at fault. 

It's just so tiring to read this stuff everyday.  In the end I'd like to say who cares, it doesn't affect my life in any way, but I can't but I care for our society and it is just so full of stupidity that I am afraid for our future generations.  Why don't you all just form your own opinions for once instead of checking to see what you read elsewhere and say the same thing. 

To me I've owned an iPhone and I now own an android phone and I count the days that I have until I go back to ios because I loathe the android operating system.  Not because someone told me to say that but because I've experienced it and just don't prefer it. But it has widgets, and the hardware has nfc and removable batteries, and expendable memories, and ios copies android and is playing catch up and is an overpriced piece of junk and apple just hates the customers and just wants to gouge us for every penny we earn and that is why they charge us for a propriety charging cable and 100 dollars for extra memory and while in line they slip a vacuum into our back pockets without us knowing and suck out any change we have.

Is it possible that what android has apple doesn't care to include in ios?  Is it possible they don't feel NFC is feasible at this period in time.  Apple has never tried to cram in everything in their phones just because everyone else is doing it.  Do you really think widgets are that hard to program that apple software engineers just don't have knowledge on how to implement them and that is why ios is "lacking".  The widgets are a waste.  The only one that isn't is the toggle switches which I'd like in ios but isn't a deal breaker.  Removable batteries are a expense.  Apple doesn't require you to buy one.  Samsung gives you the option to, does that mean they are gouging you?  All I know is iPhone usually has great battery life for the size of battery used.  If your idea of good battery life is having to buy an extra than that's your option but why not look at it through fandroid eyes pretending it's apple doing that.  hmmm makes you think doesn't it.  As far as I know every iPhone comes with the new charging wire so it's not a must you buy an extra one so where is the gouging?

Who seems like the sheep now?  Companies with the me too attitude, and it's customers who practice the same thing that they despise others for or a company who doesn't follow the trends and it's satisfied customers who have loyalty?

If you prefer android good for you but stop trying to convert everyone and coming back with stupid arguments. 

Thanks I needed that