Apple support document addresses iPhone 5 'purple haze'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Wait... are you saying my iPhone 5 isn't a professional DSLR with a 30,000 dollar lens? I want my money back!

Or, I suppose, I could take fewer pictures of the sun.

Interesting article, though.

No, they're saying the lens of your 5 is shittier than that of the 4S, so watch where you point it.

• Reply 42 of 118
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

70 posts in 7 days.

What a busy little troll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Apple should not use their arrogant tactic, “You’re taking pictures wrong.”

. . . [bla bla

etc.

bla] . . . 

• Reply 43 of 118
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Well we have finally reached the limit of the smart people owning iPhones.  We are now getting into the limited intelligence people.  When they all buy iPhones we will start to get into the really stupid people owning iPhones.  Wonder what the really stupid people will come up with.  Black picture.  Apple will release a document.  Please remove your ringer off the camera lens to take a picture.  And then please don't use a nail coated with boogers on the touch screen.

• Reply 44 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

3866 posts and nothing intelligent to say.

What a surprise!

Either rebut the argument without mentioning post count or don't bother posting at all.

I can't believe this even has to be said.

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

And then please don't use a nail coated with boogers on the touch screen.

That might conduct, though, unlike a plain nail. image

• Reply 45 of 118

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

And then please don't use a nail coated with boogers on the touch screen.

• Reply 46 of 118
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

...  'Sapphire glass' is problem.

------------------------------

We’ve just learned that the iPhone 5 camera may be faulty, showing a purple haze (yep, I said it) in certain lighting conditions. If you take a picture with the iPhone 5, and there’s a bright light that’s outside of the frame, you’ll see a purple tint come across the image.

This is possibly due to the Sapphire glass used in the camera’s lens.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/the-iphone-5s-camera-is-faulty-shows-a-purple-haze/

As completely false and nutty as this theory is, I think you've hit on the exact reason why we didn't hear about this lens flare problem with previous iPhones even though all the evidence seems to indicate that they all acted in exactly the same way. Conspiracy theories often get started by way of exactly these sorts of coincidental juxtapositions.  

You have an iPhone camera with only one feature that's really different from previous versions, it has a "sapphire" scratch cover on the lens (presumably to prevent scratches).  Everyone knows that sapphires (in nature) are blue/purple/red.  Add those two together and someone inevitably makes the unwarranted, unproven and unlikely speculation that these two things are related (techCrunch above).  Instantly, a "conspiracy" is born (even though all the facts are against it). 

The trouble is for this to be actually true, Apple would have to have selected a type of artificial sapphire that has a colour to it (instead of all the available crystal clear ones), lie to us about having done that, and correct the problem in software (except for the edge cases like looking into the sun which they presumably can't do anything about.)

Since the 4 and the 4S both had this problem, (albeit to a slightly lesser degree), it simply can't be anything to do with the sapphire lens cover which is unique to the iPhone 5.

• Reply 47 of 118
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

3866 posts and nothing intelligent to say.

What a surprise!

Have you read a camera manual?

Have you used the camera on an iPhone 5?

It is easy to reproduce "purple haze" with it or other camera's.

It is just as easy to make it disappear by moving the camera, as manuals suggest.

Now everyone is a camera lens expert, just like two years ago when everyone became antenna experts.

• Reply 48 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

No, they're saying the lens of your 5 is shittier than that of the 4S, so watch where you point it.

well - i noticed it on mine too - ip5 suffers more so than ip4 - maybe it takes better pics in other scenarios though - truthfully  both take great pics in normal light

• Reply 49 of 118
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

People who complain about "purple haze" are not Apple fans.

They should return the merchandize and give it to those who wont complain.

Sweep this under the rug so my stock price can go up.

End of story.

P.S. The new camera will make you look fat though.

• Reply 50 of 118

Oh brother. I'm always amazed at the things you think you need to pipe in on.

It this you rebutting an argument?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Run away, Samsung shill. Run long. Run far.

He has no argument to rebut.

He's just claiming BS because he's too lazy to read about CA (or he's to ignorant to understand it.)

If you read my OP (which he partially references) you can see he's too thick to understand it.

I'll make it easy,   "Purple Haze" is NOT Chromatic Aberration!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Either rebut the argument without mentioning post count or don't bother posting at all.

I can't believe this even has to be said.

I'm unfamiliar with the poster, but here's the most eloquent post I've seen so far:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

This is illustrates a problem.

It may not be a huge problem. It may not be a problem for people who don't care about quality imaging.

But it is a degradation in quality and a step backward for the iPhone camera.

People who do not understand this (or exaggerate it) clearly have some agenda.

• Reply 51 of 118

Oh brother. I'm always amazed at the things you think you need to pipe in on.

It this you rebutting an argument?

So, to clarify, you're defending the user who is a shill paid by Samsung to lie about Apple on Apple forums?

Defending. Just to clarify.

• Reply 52 of 118
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/14029/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Confirmed for purple flare. Been doing some testing myself as you can see
  • Reply 53 of 118

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have you read a camera manual?

Yes, I have (and many books.) In fact I've taken graduate level photography classes.

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have you used the camera on an iPhone 5?

Yes, I have (as you would know, if you read an earlier post above! [the one that talks about CA and "purple haze!"])

It is easy to reproduce "purple haze" with it or other camera's.

Again, you are wrong. I have never seen "purple haze" of this nature in any photograph I have ever taken with cameras I own.

In fact my most recent posts shows a post by Cash 907 that shows how wrong you are!

It is just as easy to make it disappear by moving the camera, as manuals suggest.

It certainly is true that if one takes a different picture, the image produced will be different.

If one has an assistant to shield the sun, or a flare hood, a picture of the same scene will be different too.

Also, if one uses a different camera (like say an iP4s) the image will also be different.

And most importantly, it will be better WRT "purple haze (that's the key takeaway concept for you.)

Now everyone is a camera lens expert, just like two years ago when everyone became antenna experts.

That's a mildly provocative observation. Thanks for sharing!

Do you have any documentation to support this idea?

• Reply 54 of 118

So just to be clear, 

iPhone 4S

6th-gen iPhone

Looks like an improvement to me.

• Reply 55 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So, to clarify, you're defending the user who is a shill paid by Samsung to lie about Apple on Apple forums?

Defending. Just to clarify.

I was not aware that you had any proof that 845032 is a shill paid by Samsung.

I missed that when you posted your evidence of that.

But it wouldn't surprise me if that was true, I did, after all, say he was a troll.

So, just to clarify, why didn't you tell me to rebut 845032's argument, but you did tell me for hill60's?

(hill60's "argument" was about as cogent as 845032's)

So, just to clarify, why didn't you tell hill60 to rebut my argument instead of just calling me a liar? Just to clarify, why is that? Just to clarify?

• Reply 56 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I have not had an opportunity to test this for myself until now. I just took this image a few minutes ago which according to all reports should have shown purple but it does not. This is totally un-retouched so don't even suggest I did something. It is taken with the default settings on iPhone 5.

• Reply 57 of 118

Now *that's* funny!

(Holy Cow.! it's even bleeding over onto the iP4)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Confirmed for purple flare. Been doing some testing myself as you can see

• Reply 58 of 118

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the conditions have to be to get the really bad flare. I only got to test it for a short time and I had a hard time *making it* do it in any situation. But when the conditions were right, it tends to do it repeatedly.

I found that it did it most consistently when the light source is completely out of the image. And if the cause is TFD, as I assume, it will be most prevalent (blooming) when the light is mostly coherent, but slightly dispersed (say by a light atmospheric haze.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have not had an opportunity to test this for myself until now. I just took this image a few minutes ago which according to all reports should have shown purple but it does not. This is totally un-retouched so don't even suggest I did something. It is taken with the default settings on iPhone 5.

• Reply 59 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the conditions have to be to get the really bad flare. I only got to test it for a short time and I had a hard time *making it* do it in any situation. But when the conditions were right, it tends to do it repeatedly.

I found that it did it most consistently when the light source is completely out of the image. And if the cause is TFD, as I assume, it will be most prevalent (blooming) when the light is mostly coherent, but slightly dispersed (say by a light atmospheric haze.)

Ok so I took another shot with the sun just out of frame still no purple. Maybe there are some iPhone 5 cameras that are defective.

• Reply 60 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Wait... are you saying my iPhone 5 isn't a professional DSLR with a 30,000 dollar lens? I want my money back!

Or, I suppose, I could take fewer pictures of the sun.

Interesting article, though.

Money back???

JJ Abrams shot Star Trek with $30K Panavision lenses with stagehands off camera intentionally throwing extra lights on the lens to get it to flare ridiculously.