Apple support document addresses iPhone 5 'purple haze'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118

Obviously not as much as you.  Yes there is light leaking in, but there are no flourescents.

The conditions were chosen not to take a good picture but test the two cameras under the lighting conditions that may show the problem.

• Reply 82 of 118
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

It's common sense that one should not let the sun or any light source onto the lens when taking photos.  I always cover the top of my camera with my hand or something to make sure that lights don't hit or reflect off of all the sensors on my digital camera. I've NEVER had any issue with purple fringe on any of my iPhone either.  Yes, I always create a nice shadow on the lens when I take photos.  They all came out beautifully!

• Reply 83 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Obviously not as much as you.  Yes there is light leaking in, but there are no flourescents.

The conditions were chosen not to take a good picture but test the two cameras under the lighting conditions that may show the problem.

Sorry. Those look like CF. What type of bulb is in the lighting?

• Reply 84 of 118

No artificial lighting was used.  There are other windows to the side that would have added extra light, but they are further away.

What technique did you use to balance the light when you took your picture?

• Reply 85 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    donvreug wrote: »
    Just another example for discussion:  The picture on the left was taken with an iPhone 4S and on the right an iPhone 5.

P.S. for clarification these were taken from the same location and immediately after each other.  As far as angle goes I did my best.

LLLL

They are noticeably different angles. Angles matter.

Why is it that no one is able to take pictures with the two cameras under identical conditions?

More importantly, who the heck cares? Under 99.9999% of conditions, the iPhone 5 takes equal or better pictures with a thinner camera. Yes, you can find some conditions where it's not as good, but those are conditions where you shouldn't be taking pictures, anyway.

Find something else to whine about.
  • Reply 86 of 118
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,826member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Whatever. Those are terrible photos which should be deleted within seconds of exposure. People taking shots indoors with mixed light have no case whatsoever. Either take shots in a studio and publish it with the full EXIF data or take shots outdoors and post some credentials that you have actual photographic training otherwise it is just so much trolling BS.

So far my iPhone 5 does not produce any unexpected purple even though I have tried to replicate the issue reported by others

Quit with the condescending tone! We all know what donvreug was attempting to demonstrate and it wasn't artistic/photographic prowess. The argument isn't helped by trivial and snarky responses.  Different imagers, different outcomes, a considered response would be welcome.

All the best.

• Reply 87 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

...but those are conditions where you shouldn't be taking pictures, anyway.

We are no longer talking about photography and photographs but about imaging and images.  Imaging is everywhere, for everything.  The question should be, is the utility of the imaging system in the iPhone 5 down on previous generations?  Whatever consensus is reached will mean nothing to an individual but social media gives every individual a voice now and so opinions carry.

• Reply 88 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    We are no longer talking about photography and photographs but about imaging and images.  Imaging is everywhere, for everything.  The question should be, is the utility of the imaging system in the iPhone 5 down on previous generations?  Whatever consensus is reached will mean nothing to an individual but social media gives every individual a voice now and so opinions carry.

The consensus is that the iPhone 5 takes great pictures - unless you are going out of your way to take pictures under conditions where no one in their right mind would expect decent results.

What part of that don't you understand?
  • Reply 89 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,789member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Inches aren't a measure of angles. Should you be calling people retards when you can't get that critical detail correct yourself?
    Flare.

Good answer and with such flair. Lol
  • Reply 90 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,789member
    jragosta wrote: »
    They are noticeably different angles. Angles matter.
    Why is it that no one is able to take pictures with the two cameras under identical conditions?
    More importantly, who the heck cares? Under 99.9999% of conditions, the iPhone 5 takes equal or better pictures with a thinner camera. Yes, you can find some conditions where it's not as good, but those are conditions where you shouldn't be taking pictures, anyway.
    Find something else to whine about.

I wonder if any of the whiners have ever played around with Knoll's lens flare plugin ... You can get a nice purple tinge on some settings on any picture.
  • Reply 91 of 118

Quote:

The consensus is that the iPhone 5 takes great pictures - unless you are going out of your way to take pictures under conditions where no one in their right mind would expect decent results.

If that's the case then great. Mine does a nice job.

Quote:

What part of that don't you understand?

What part of being civil do you not understand?

• Reply 92 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

iPhone 5 takes great photos. I don't see any purple issues. I suspect, as I mentionrd earlier, that either Google has mobilized a team of bloggers or whatever or perhaps there are some defective iPhones out there. Either way I cannot replicate the purple issue no matter what I try.

• Reply 93 of 118
    Even though I am a continued apple fan, I just cancelled my order for my iPhone 5 for now. (wasn't getting it till the end of October anyway). This lens issue is troubling, but I am not worried about it. (I try to not shoot into the sun, like some brain dead folks). Whats more worrisome to me, is I can't yet find any docks, Apple said they aren't making one, and none are expected soon from 3rd party quality makers. I will reorder when the docks are available, and also am interested in seeing what else is updated or improved software wise.
  • Reply 94 of 118

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

…either Google has mobilized a team of bloggers or whatever…

Speaking of which, how long has Infinite Loop had its parking lots mapped out as drivable roads on Google Maps? 

The building right next door doesn't have the same thing done to its parking lots, so could it be a not-so-subtle jab from Google at Apple's Maps?

• Reply 95 of 118
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

No, they're saying the lens of your 5 is shittier than that of the 4S, so watch where you point it.

Nice try, but not the same angle / scene for either picture so they really can't be compared.

• Reply 96 of 118
    Just a bunch of freak'n ID10Ts ...
  • Reply 97 of 118
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Wow is right. I regret taking you for a serious poster. White Ballance is irrelevant to the issue. He' the only person here showing comparison shots between the two cameras and you're spouting BS to shut him down. Get a life.
    mstone wrote: »
    Do you know anything about WB? You have sunlight leaking in from the blinds and compact fluorescent in the sconces. There is no digital camera on the planet that can deal with that. The fact that the 4s does not show as much purple as the 5 is irrelevant since the lighting is unprofessional.

Here is a very similar image I took one minute ago which does ironically have some daylight leakage as well and the iphone 5 is flawless.

LL
  • Reply 98 of 118
    jeffdm wrote: »
    You're right, it is splitting hairs, though I like it when people sound like they know what they're talking about and get the fundamental stuff right.
    If it's the sun that is in question, you absolutely must turn the camera to get the sun out of the frame. You would have to "slide" the camera at least the width of the earth to do it without rotation. You can demonstrate it for yourself with a simple experiment. Draw a sun onto a piece of paper, and tape it onto an opposite wall. Take one photo of that piece of paper from the other side of the room. Slide the camera to one side a few inches and take another photo. After that, rotate the camera a few degrees and take another photo. The photo where you rotate the camera direction has a meaningful change in framing of the photo. Sliding the camera will not have nearly the same effect. Involve the real sun, practically none at all.
    One question. Are we assuming the surface of the earth is flat or spherical? It's important if you think about it.
  • Reply 99 of 118
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If you read the solutions that Apple provided, as mentioned in the article, you would know it isn't an issue if you take a few simple steps, steps that are outlined in any camera manual or photography handbook.

Against lens flare, there are easy steps to take, yes. Naturally, most pictures will not have lens flare since the sun won't be in frame, but the ones that do, may be more affected on the iP5 than on competing devices. This is yet to be determined. If the problem is severe, then the problem will also be more common. Think of fairgrounds with bright overhead lighting or photos in parties at nightclubs and restaurants, where bright light sources surround the areas. 

The question I'm wondering is twofold:

- Is this an issue with a batch of the devices or all devices? Any proof in either direction?

- Is this really an issue common to all devices or is the iP5 significantly worse in this respect? Again any proof in either direction? 

A lot of people say that this is the same issue that any lens experiences (including expensive SLR-lenses). In my 20 odd years of hobbyist photography with P&Ss and DSLRs I've seen lens flare in differing amounts depending on the lens in question and the actual shot, but I've rarely, if ever experienced clearly purple lens flare (even though my early canon digital P&S made all snow pictures blue). Has anyone, anywhere posted comparatively purple lens flare pictures from other phones, P&Ss and SLRs (besides the 4S comparisons here and DPreview)? I've yet to see one and would be truly interested in seeing such pictures if they exist . That would give a point of comparison. Plenty of flare pictures are available, but are there ones with flare that's been colored purple in the breadth shown here? 

The thing that bothers me with this discussion is the seeming inability of many here to take an analytical view and approach the issue without bias. If some here bring real knowledge to the table, there are at least four people ready to pounce and call this person a shill, troll or something else because he doesn't praise the iPhone 5s camera off the bat. The worst is when people truly try to take comparative pictures (just like a regular consumer would) to help understand the issue, they are shot down as trolls. Why the blind hate when people are actually trying to understand if the issues are real and if they are, how severe?

• Reply 100 of 118
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Lens flare, the effect of slightly tilting an iPhone 5.