Apple should not use their arrogant tactic, “You’re taking pictures wrong.”

'Sapphire glass' is problem.

Fu*k that's an ugly lamp!

Still, they don't want it to be stolen!
  • Reply 102 of 118
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Wow, I was merely trying to demonstrate the difference between the two phones in conditions that would potentially show the problem.

Some of you people really need to think before you type.

Thank you for taking the time to make the comparison and share it with us.  Some of us appreciate it.

Those with no agenda understand that the point was simply to compare the two generations of iPhone under the same conditions and see the difference.

• Reply 103 of 118

Everyone is going on about how the iPhone 5 is not a DSLR. I understand that, but explain this.

I took around five hundred pictures with my 4s, with not one purple haze picture. I have taken fifteen pictures with my iPhone 5 and four of them have purple haze, they are completely ruined.  There is a fault with the lens. This is a fact and saying “point away from the sun” is a totally cop-out on behalf of apple.  Will I being taking my phone back? No,  it's not the end of the world and it is still an amazing phone but it's such a shame it has this fault.   

• Reply 104 of 118
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The consensus is that the iPhone 5 takes great pictures - unless you are going out of your way to take pictures under conditions where no one in their right mind would expect decent results.

What part of that don't you understand?

Agreed.  The issue for some may be that under SOME crappy circumstances the camera in the 5 will produce an image that's even crappier than they'd get with a 4 in identical circumstances.

The net point is that when pictures are shot in crappy conditions (which, for better or worse, they sometimes are when average people are shooting candids) one might come away with a better image with a 4.  So if one is contemplating the value for themselves of an upgrade, and the camera is an important feature to them, it may be an assessment point.  One among many.

Why is THAT hard for anyone to appreciate?  If it doesn't matter to you, cool, you're golden.  If it matters to someone else, why would you care?

• Reply 105 of 118
    tazzuk wrote: »
    Everyone is going on about how the iPhone 5 is not a DSLR. I understand that, but explain this.
    I took around five hundred pictures with my 4s, with not one purple haze picture. I have taken fifteen pictures with my iPhone 5 and four of them have purple haze, they are completely ruined.  There is a fault with the lens. This is a fact and saying “point away from the sun” is a totally cop-out on behalf of apple.  Will I being taking my phone back? No,  it's not the end of the world and it is still an amazing phone but it's such a shame it has this fault.   

Sample size
  • Reply 106 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Just another example for discussion:  The picture on the left was taken with an iPhone 4S and on the right an iPhone 5.

P.S. for clarification these were taken from the same location and immediately after each other.  As far as angle goes I did my best.

That's a much better comparison than the first, but the angle is still a bit different, perhaps different enough to make a difference in the exposure. The window on the left edge shows more surface area in one picture than the other.

It shouldn't be too hard to build a rig that clamps a 5 and a 4s together, left edge of one to the right edge of the other with the lens at the same vertical position, take it outside and point it in the right direction, i.e. with the sun off of one edge, and press the exposure buttons on each camera at the same time. That should solve the problem of angle, and time. I suspect that doing it that way will reveal not much difference at all, if any.

/bs

• Reply 107 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    v5v wrote: »
    Agreed.  The issue for some may be that under SOME crappy circumstances the camera in the 5 will produce an image that's even crappier than they'd get with a 4 in identical circumstances.

The net point is that when pictures are shot in crappy conditions (which, for better or worse, they sometimes are when average people are shooting candids) one might come away with a better image with a 4.  So if one is contemplating the value for themselves of an upgrade, and the camera is an important feature to them, it may be an assessment point.  One among many.

Why is THAT hard for anyone to appreciate?  If it doesn't matter to you, cool, you're golden.  If it matters to someone else, why would you care?

Except for one thing - no one has yet submitted any pictures taken under identical circumstances. Apparently, it's so hard to get the flare that they have to fudge things.
    tazzuk wrote: »

Why is 'point away from the sun' a cop out? That is standard advice in every photographic book I've ever seen. You only take a picture with the bright sun in the viewfinder under very specific circumstances and only if you know exactly what you're doing. And expecting it to work well with a point and shoot camera is silly.
    v5v wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to make the comparison and share it with us.  Some of us appreciate it.

Those with no agenda understand that the point was simply to compare the two generations of iPhone under the same conditions and see the difference.

The problem is that the person you are responding to didn't take the pictures under the same conditions.
    rkevwill wrote: »
    Even though I am a continued apple fan, I just cancelled my order for my iPhone 5 for now. (wasn't getting it till the end of October anyway). This lens issue is troubling, but I am not worried about it. (I try to not shoot into the sun, like some brain dead folks). Whats more worrisome to me, is I can't yet find any docks, Apple said they aren't making one, and none are expected soon from 3rd party quality makers. I will reorder when the docks are available, and also am interested in seeing what else is updated or improved software wise.

Yes, if a dock is critical to you, then waiting makes sense. I'm sure there will be third party docks out soon. But what's the big deal about docks? My phone lies on my night stand at night and takes me less than a second to plug it in. The time savings for using a dock are insignificant.
  • Reply 108 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,789member
    mstone wrote: »
    Ok so I took another shot with the sun just out of frame still no purple. Maybe there are some iPhone 5 cameras that are defective.

LL

Or you didn't go via Photoshop to add it then collect your fee from Scamsung /wink
  • Reply 109 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,789member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Lens flare, the effect of slightly tilting an iPhone 5.

LL

LL

LL

LL

Haha, good joke. But really bad Photoshop work!
  • Reply 110 of 118
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The only thing done to them was to crop, on my iPhone 5, no other editing.

• Reply 111 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Since you, apparently, are the Photoshop pro around here (though I taught it for a short while back in the day), please share with us the "bad" (so, I'd guess, quite obvious) Photoshop attempts in these images. I'm always up for learning a few new things. TIA

• Reply 112 of 118

i am not satisfied their answer.uh this is not something on every small camera,i tested it on my iphone 4s and didnot get any purple haze

• Reply 113 of 118
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    desuserign wrote: »
    Um . . . No.
    Call it "splitting hair" if you want, but your "explanation" brings no information to light.
    Flaring and fringing are totally different effects, resulting from totally different causes, with totally different remedies.
    The purple color of the flair is probably a result of thin film diffraction somewhere along the line where the flare hits a coating on a lens or possibly the sapphire lens protector.

This is exactly what I referred to. If this is my picture and a client asked me "what is this purple tint?" "Umm.. It' s lens flare."
    "But flare itself doesn't have color. I'm talking about this purple."
    "..... It's flare?"

I guess I would lose a client. LOL. That's why I'm glad I'm not splitting hair because for me every shifts in color due to high contrast is Chromatic Aberration. Easy to say. Easy to get. If people want to stick with textbook then by all means but remember...Pluto isn't a planet anymore. That's all. :D
  • Reply 114 of 118
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I guess I would lose a client. LOL. That's why I'm glad I'm not splitting hair because for me every shifts in color due to high contrast is Chromatic Aberration. Easy to say. Easy to get...

...easy to avoid.

• Reply 115 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Still no apology for Android-gate, ie the series of crappy Android devices I got at work that weren't worth turning on.

Crappy Android devices?  Can your iPhone open up apps while the screen is locked and the phone is sitting on the table unattended while at a Restaurant?  Yup my awesome HTC phone can.  I was just sitting there enjoying a meal with my Girlfriend when I heard Cheesy Music start playing and it took me a second to realize it was coming from my phone.  When I did realize it and I unlocked the screen I saw a game (Jewels Star) open and on the title screen.   Just another feature that ios and iPhone are playing catch up on. 

I am starting to think more and more the joy I will experience the day I finally can get rid of this Android experience I'm stuck with for the time being will be comparable to becoming a father for the first time.  I urge you all and invite your sympathy towards me.

• Reply 116 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

Crappy Android devices?  Can your iPhone open up apps while the screen is locked and the phone is sitting on the table unattended while at a Restaurant?  Yup my awesome HTC phone can.  I was just sitting there enjoying a meal with my Girlfriend when I heard Cheesy Music start playing and it took me a second to realize it was coming from my phone.  When I did realize it and I unlocked the screen I saw a game (Jewels Star) open and on the title screen.   Just another feature that ios and iPhone are playing catch up on. 

I am starting to think more and more the joy I will experience the day I finally can get rid of this Android experience I'm stuck with for the time being will be comparable to becoming a father for the first time.  I urge you all and invite your sympathy towards me

this is what happens when you turn to the dark side of smart(DUMB)phones.

DOnt let the droid dorks convince you that it is a feature...

Congratulations on the Fatherhood, you will do fine as long as you don't make irrational decision like you did buying that android shit

• Reply 117 of 118
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    jivanile wrote: »

Ouch, that sounds like a potentially nasty security flaw.
  • Reply 118 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

this is what happens when you turn to the dark side of smart(DUMB)phones.

DOnt let the droid dorks convince you that it is a feature...

Congratulations on the Fatherhood, you will do fine as long as you don't make irrational decision like you did buying that android shit

Haha sorry I didn't actually mean I have become a Father.  I was just saying that I'm sure becoming a Father for the first time will be one of the joyous moments in anyone's life, who is open to having children, and that joy would be comparable to ridding myself of Android.  I wasn't convinced in a way you may think.  Although I had little experience with Android other than older versions, I thought how bad could it be, they have obviously improved a lot because it seems so many people are adament about how much it has improved with ICS and beyond.  That and the main deciding factor was cost of a non contract phone which the Android phone I settled on was on a major discount.  Not to say it is unusable because in the end it does work as a phone.  Just has many many flaws.  I recently rooted and put Jelly Bean and it seems my project butter came straight out of the freezer so it's not spreading so smooth.  I can write on and on about the issues but I'll spare you from my rant. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Ouch, that sounds like a potentially nasty security flaw.

Never really crossed my mind that's what it could be.  That's definitely something to keep in mind.  Did you know that Google play has an app for AVG that is in it's top 100 list of free downloads.  I find it humurous that a phone needs an anti virus app because it's not something I've ever seen before and that so many people have felt a need to download it.