Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 206
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only thing funny in a sad way is that you think making something smaller doesn't make it harder to see. I guess that's why retina displays are run at full resolution instead of pixel quadrupled.

LOL...retina is run the way they are run to have a kind of resolution independence for devs.  We target 1024x768 and the system figures out the final pixel size.  Which Apple has already determined is fine for either 163PPI or 326PPI.  

Quote:

Here's what happens. 

You can try it yourself, if you wish.

And you can fix it when asked to but choose not to so it's deliberate regardless of how you claim it happens.  You can be an adult and fix it yourself or snicker like a child getting away with something.  

/shrug

It takes less effort to edit it and post "sorry, wasn't intentional" than to write out that long winded excuse.  I guess you're going with snickering like a child.

Edit: LOL...just noticed that what you claimed happened didn't actually happen in your example steps...

• Reply 202 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

$199 but a $50 premium is an easy sell IMHO.  $100 premium fir the 16GB a little harder but still viable.  What would be tough is if the 32GB Nexus 7 replaces the 16GB at $250 as rumored.

Another source now indicating that a 32GB Nexus 7 is shipping very soon with a price of $249, replacing the 16GB model.

• Reply 203 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's ridiculous. The Nexus 7 is $249 for 8 GB. So if Apple matches the competitor's price, that's insulting? Even though Apple has a better ecosystem, better customer satisfaction, and a better OS? For years, we hear about how evil Apple is when their products are more expensive than the competition, but now they're evil (or, at least, insulting) if they match the competition?

Yes, there are cheaper tablets out there, but most of them are junk compared to the iPad. Apple isn't competing with Etch-a-sketch, either.

I really wish the whiners would disappear. Nothing Apple could ever do would make them happy.

Again, I'm speaking as a stockholder.  I don't want them to produce me-too products with nicer hardware and software.  The better hw and sw are given's.  I want them to focus on the experience.  I want them to define (or redefine) the experience and go for the kill.

8GB would just frustrate users down the line.  I suggest to start at $299 for the 16GB.

Also, I don't want Apple to merely check out what Google is doing and try to "match the competition."  That is not in Apple's DNA.  We will have to wait for unveiling on the 23rd.

• Reply 204 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

And while the Apple ecosystem is a desirable one, if customers are not already in it, the Nexus offers many of the mot popular features of Apple, Amazon books, movies and music, Angry Birds, etc. what more does the average consumer really use these tablets for anyway?

I still hold out hope that Apple is planning something more than just a mini-iPad to compete with the low-end market bottom feeders, because if this is all they have planned, at these price points, its going to be a struggle ... Apple has stayed out of this market space for good reason. Although they have never explicitly said so, the kinds of people who buy netbooks are not interested in the style and polish Apple charges a premium for. When customers hem and haw over $25 or $50 differences between crappy netbooks, they aren't likely to up the anti just to get something that looks nicer -- there's going to have to be a tangible reason for that particular customer to spend more.

These are very good points.  The bottom feeders pay more attention to price than Apple's nicer hardware and "it just works" sw.  They are okay with average stuff.

I believe Apple needs to show us something innovative in this space that only the iPad mini can do.  The price premium will justify itself.  Then we can say goodbye to the other crappy 7-inch tablets.

I disagree that the mini would struggle.  Sales would still be huge if the mini were designed only to compete with current Android tablets.  But it would tell us Apple has changed.

• Reply 205 of 206
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    melmel wrote:
    8GB would just frustrate users down the line.  I suggest to start at $299 for the 16GB.

I don't see a problem with 8GB. They still sell an 8GB iPhone 4. People work with what they have.

I don't think Apple should be charging such a high premium for such small amounts of storage though and their pricing doesn't even make sense - you pay $100 to add 16GB to get the 32GB model and $100 to add 32GB to get the 64GB model. The 32GB model should be $549 and the 64GB model $649. $50 should be plenty for 16GB of NAND these days.
  • Reply 206 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't see a problem with 8GB. They still sell an 8GB iPhone 4. People work with what they have.

I don't think Apple should be charging such a high premium for such small amounts of storage though and their pricing doesn't even make sense - you pay $100 to add 16GB to get the 32GB model and $100 to add 32GB to get the 64GB model. The 32GB model should be $549 and the 64GB model $649. $50 should be plenty for 16GB of NAND these days.

Obviously, the 8GB iPhone 4 is targeted to those who are sensitive to price, the bottom feeders, old folks, and users who have average needs.  Apple is also trying to maximize the use of older equipment and techniques.  Maybe it is all they need anyway, or maybe not?  It seems that people believe annual phone upgrades are "acceptable."  They can get another iPhone with a higher capacity next time.

But the iPad mini is like a new product.  I don't want them to have no margin just for the sake of competing at a certain price point.  My humble opinion is that they charge $299 for the 16GB model and include one or two new features.  The real value, the perceived value, and the ecosystem would dominate.

I agree with the storage premium issue.  Maybe $50 more for the 32GB, and $100 more for the 64GB.  Just keep it simple.