Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros

Comments

• Reply 101 of 206
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Hmm. What say an informal bet? I think it'll be out faster than the 4GB iPhone, breaking the record for most quickly discontinued Apple product.
    But discontinuation requires a refresh of some kind to make it official, non? And an iPad refresh happens only once per year.
  • Reply 102 of 206

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But discontinuation requires a refresh of some kind to make it official, non? And an iPad refresh happens only once per year.

No. They killed off the 4GB iPhone at the iPod touch introduction without changing the 8GB iPhone. Refresh nuttin'.

• Reply 103 of 206
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    If this starts at $199, this will sell big time in the run up to Christmas. As Cook pointed out, the iPad works for all ages. Nobody is buying a Kindle for their kids.

$199 is cheap enough to gift to close family where $299 would have been a bit too pricey for a lot of people.
  • Reply 104 of 206

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

$199 is cheap enough to gift to close family where $299 would have been a bit too pricey for a lot of people.

Operating under the assumption that they have no supply problems, $199 would fill 99% of the 30% of shipped (not used) tablets that Apple doesn't have right now. 

But I wouldn't get my hopes up for that. I still say $399 is a safe assumption. If it's cheaper, hey, there's that.

• Reply 105 of 206
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But I wouldn't get my hopes up for that. I still say $399 is a safe assumption. 

You really want this to fail so much don't you? Even more than Android fans want it to fail. Just so you can say "See I told you it was a bad idea". Well guess what? You are going to be wrong several million times over by Christmas.

• Reply 106 of 206

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You really want this to fail so much don't you?

I'd rather Apple not fail. I just think it's safe to assume the far end of things with Apple products, always have.

…wrong several million times over by Christmas.

I still don't see how sales = good product. Yes, it can sell well. Doesn't mean it's the best thing that could be in its position.

• Reply 107 of 206
    Here it is!

1. 8 GB Black wifi
    2. 8 GB White wifi
    3. 8 GB Black Cellular
    4. 8 GB White Cellular
    5. 16 GB Black wifi
    6. 16 GB White wifi
    7. 16 GB Black Cellular
    8. 16 GB White Cellular
    9. 32 GB Black wifi
    10. 32 GB White wifi
    11. 32 GB Black Cellular
    12. 32 GB White Cellular
    13. 64 GB Black wifi
    14. 64 GB White wifi
    15. 64 GB Black Cellular
    16. 64 GB White Cellular
  • Reply 108 of 206
    Here it is!

1. 8 GB Black wifi
    2. 8 GB White wifi
    3. 8 GB Black Cellular
    4. 8 GB White Cellular
    5. 16 GB Black wifi
    6. 16 GB White wifi
    7. 16 GB Black Cellular
    8. 16 GB White Cellular
    9. 32 GB Black wifi
    10. 32 GB White wifi
    11. 32 GB Black Cellular
    12. 32 GB White Cellular
    13. 64 GB Black wifi
    14. 64 GB White wifi
    15. 64 GB Black Cellular
    16. 64 GB White Cellular
  • Reply 109 of 206

Here it is!

1. 8 GB Black wifi

2. 8 GB White wifi

3. 8 GB Black Cellular

4. 8 GB White Cellular

5. 16 GB Black wifi

6. 16 GB White wifi

7. 16 GB Black Cellular

8. 16 GB White Cellular

9. 32 GB Black wifi

10. 32 GB White wifi

11. 32 GB Black Cellular

12. 32 GB White Cellular

13. 64 GB Black wifi

14. 64 GB White wifi

15. 64 GB Black Cellular

16. 64 GB White Cellular
  • Reply 110 of 206

Sorry did not mean to get it 3 times!

• Reply 111 of 206
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    But I wouldn't get my hopes up for that. I still say $399 is a safe assumption. If it's cheaper, hey, there's that.

I should have said $299, not $199 but that wouldn't fit with what I was saying about it being cheap enough for gifting.

German tax rate is 19% so 250euro/1.19 -> USD = ~$269. They might manage $249 and that would be around the same as the 8GB Nexus 7. I guess $249 isn't bad for gifting but grandma and grandpa will have to share (number 1 question asked by grandpa this Christmas - 'how do I clear the browser history?').
  • Reply 112 of 206
    What we have here is a photograph of a list that any one of us could have conjured up in less than an hour.

It's just a piece of paper with some writing on it. That, combined with an 8GB device seeming highly unlikely, causes me to dismiss this right now.
  • Reply 113 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member

Quote:

I should have said $299, not $199 but that wouldn't fit with what I was saying about it being cheap enough for gifting.

German tax rate is 19% so 250euro/1.19 -> USD = ~$269. They might manage $249 and that would be around the same as the 8GB Nexus 7. I guess $249 isn't bad for gifting but grandma and grandpa will have to share (number 1 question asked by grandpa this Christmas - 'how do I clear the browser history?').

FYI the 8GB Nexus7 is $199, The 32GB Nexus will probably be the closest in price to the 8GB iPad Mini, in the $250-$275 range.. Of course prices for either are yet to be confirmed.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_8GB?id=nexus_7_8gb&hl=en

• Reply 114 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Marvin wrote: »

Huh? The 16GB Nexus 7 is being sold for $249. Someone also mentioned here that they were discontinuing that model for 32GB at $260. I think 16GB at $249-$299 would work. 8GB at that price would really require Steve's reality distortion field.
  • Reply 115 of 206

Quote:

Why would a retailer intentionally trash their database with meaningless allocated item numbers on pure speculation?

I've populated databases with 100's and 1000's of fake records for the purpose of testing and then executed automated tests. Standard procedure. 

• Reply 116 of 206
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Speaking of which, they'll all need to be redone for this new size.

No, they won't.  1024x768 points is the size we code to.

• Reply 117 of 206
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mstone wrote: »
    Why would a retailer intentionally trash their database with meaningless allocated item numbers on pure speculation?

So they won't be caught off guard. Often those systems are updated on a regular schedule and that is the only time new records are added. So they place holder rumors so they will be ready when it is truth. If it is ever truth
  • Reply 118 of 206

Originally Posted by nht View Post

No, they won't.  1024x768 points is the size we code to.

That's not a size. 9.8" is a size. 7.85" is a size.

• Reply 119 of 206
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

8GB is tight but viable for folks that don't have large apps.  Of course Apple is hitting a low entry price point and expecting an upsell to the 16GB model.

If you assume US prices start at $250 and end at $650 (i.e. 1 for 1 with the Euro) then the iPad Mini (alas and not the iPad Air) comes in $50-$80 cheaper than the equivalent iPad 2.

The 16GB 3G or LTE iPad mini is a nice deal at $450 but I'll probably swing for the 32GB at $550.  Movies aren't the problem...I have netflix and wi drive.  It's the 1GB+ games but if you don't game it's not such a big deal.

• Reply 120 of 206

Quote:

Actually I would have disagree with this assessment. If you have looked at your children's textbooks you might be able to understand that they would contain many gigs worth of data even in their static representation. Add the interactivity and video available through iBooks Author and you won't even fit one equivalent textbook in 8GB. One of two things need to happen in my evaluation. One: the textbooks need to be delivered via a web browser, or two the size of the onboard storage needs to increase dramatically.

Of course there is the alternative that we discontinue all public education and parents can opt to send their children to charter schools and pay for the high capacity iPad themselves.

I think the 8GB rumored iPad mini is for people who don't have a lot of media needs and also have a small budget.In addition the smaller screen is not as useful for education as the full size iPad in my opinion.

I'd have to agree, but perhaps for different reasons. I see the future use of the iPad in schools to allow individualization of materials and content, and support for numerous education apps. In order to allow for individualization, online assessment and access to materials based on the assessment will be important. Apps which allow content to be pushed by the teacher, and live monitoring of student progress will also take iPad resources. For our little folk, the size and weight and cost will be very important, as will some degree of future proofing. Schools and parents will not be purchasing new iPads even every 2 years and it will be expected that the kids use their iPads over multiple years. 

The least expensive iPad minis will be for seniors and as a competitor to the Kindle, Samsung, and Barnes&Noble devices. The cheapest iPad minis will allow schools to dabble in the new technology, but it would not be expected to be adequate longer term. 

At this point, the iPad environment is not available to build and support what is required for a fully integrated learning environment. No LMS (Learning Management System), no assessment tools, no individualized push technologies, and no content that would cover the educational standards, and no pedagogy and training to integrate the iPad into the curriculum. The future is promising but many years into the feature.