Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros

Comments

• Reply 81 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    A bit over the top here, aren't we? And later on in the thread, you jack yourself up to ranting about $299. What's up? Have you tried getting more sleep?
    No I don't think it's over-the-top. What I do think is over the top is claiming 8GB at $299 is reasonable. 16G makes sense. 8GB is a ripoff. But that's just me apparently plenty of other people here think it's a good deal and will sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 82 of 206
    My comment was far more general - focussed on the premise that they make much more profit on the bigger devices. They really don't need to profit from their cheapest devices to make a huge profit overall, and by pricing the lowest end products cheap it can lead to greater sales of the higher priced devices and profit overall. Plus they sell content.

Besides, don't be fooled into thinking the cost-of-parts breakdown of Apple devices reflect profit. They haven't factored in the R&D, production line setups, distribution networks, and the number of people paid directly or indirectly to make the device. Etc.  If you want to assume that they make back their R&D etc from the higher priced items, that's artificially changing how you divide the costs which isn't realistic anyway.
    Sure I know those parts breakdowns aren't the total price. I still think there would be marfin in 8GB at $299 or even $249 for that matter. Not 40% or whatever but not zero either. I personally think Apple will be willing to take a slight margin hit in order to own this market.
  • Reply 83 of 206
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No I don't think it's over-the-top. What I do think is over the top is claiming 8GB at $299 is reasonable. 16G makes sense. 8GB is a ripoff. But that's just me apparently plenty of other people here think it's a good deal and will sell like hotcakes.

We're looking at around $249 now for the entry level model, IMO.

• Reply 84 of 206
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

I personally think Apple will be willing to take a slight margin hit in order to own this market.

Apple already owns the tablet market. They don't need to have 100%, and they never will.

• Reply 85 of 206

Quote:

I personally think Apple will be willing to take a slight margin hit in order to own this market.

We're probably in agreement about the main point then - just not sure on how much margin is on their smallest iPad mini.

They could even take a loss on it if it's unappealing enough (like... 8gb!) that it gets most people buying the 16GB etc. Still you don't want to make the reports all criticisms of storage.

• Reply 86 of 206
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153366/retailer-purports-to-show-ipad-mini-in-wi-fi-cellular-models-priced-from-250-650-euros/80#post_2211367"]
    Apple already owns the tablet market. They don't need to have 100%, and they never will.
    I was referring to the smaller form factor market. They can't own something they're not in. But if they get in it the could own it if they play their cards right.
  • Reply 87 of 206
    We're probably in agreement about the main point then - just not sure on how much margin is on their smallest iPad mini.

They could even take a loss on it if it's unappealing enough (like... 8gb!) that it gets most people buying the 16GB etc. Still you don't want to make the reports all criticisms of storage.
    Yes exactly. I hope this product has some wow factor and the media conversation isn't all centered around expensive storage. I still think Apple might surprise us here.
  • Reply 88 of 206
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Agreed, 8G will be fine for millions of people. Maybe many millions.

The question is, how much real space is there after formatting and adding in iOS? Maybe 7 GB?

• Reply 89 of 206
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Meaningless.

Some random retailer puts in some guesswork as a placeholder? Tells us nothing.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

MediaMarkt is certainly the biggest electronics chain in Germany and Central Europe. Random, they are not.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 90 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, Verizon LTE, AT&T LTE, Sprint LTE, T-Mobile HSPA+, WiFi.

In Germany?

• Reply 91 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

After doing some research this morning on the IGZO technology, I think this is what we will see deployed here. Sharp was demoing some 217 ppi in Berlin.

Could you enlighten us as to what IGZO is?

• Reply 92 of 206

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Could you enlighten us as to what IGZO is?

Sure thing.

• Reply 93 of 206

Quote:

Yes, if they're going the 8GB route just to match some price point. iPod Nano is 16GB, touch is 32GB OR 64GB. Offering an iPad with only 8GB makes no sense. I understand the "premium" for Apple quality/user experience/ecosystem, etc. But 8GB fills up fast. Textbooks and especially magazines take up a lot of space.

The apple event on Oct 23 will focus on iBooks, supposedly. Maybe they have a new super-efficient format?! I doubt that the Kindle paperwhite has much more than 8GB...

• Reply 94 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The way the iPad was laughed out of the room for trying to compete with tablets with a "real" OS? The way the iPhone was laughed out of the room for trying to compete with smartphones with "real" keyboards?

more laughed out of the room becuase you can only install one app, and you run out of space.

• Reply 95 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure thing.

Ah, so.

• Reply 96 of 206

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

more laughed out of the room becuase you can only install one app, and you run out of space.

Maybe one textbook. 

Speaking of which, they'll all need to be redone for this new size.

• Reply 97 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

The apple event on Oct 23 will focus on iBooks, supposedly. Maybe they have a new super-efficient format?! I doubt that the Kindle paperwhite has much more than 8GB...

Just checked, it has 2GB and claims to store 1100 books. 8GB is pretty plush for an eReader.

• Reply 98 of 206
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Had to actually read all the posts through to see if people really missed it, and they did.

Did everyone forget about schools? They won't be storing music and videos that take up space. 8GB can store an awful lot of textbooks, even ones with illustrations. This is who I think the 8GB model is targeted to.

Actually I would have disagree with this assessment. If you have looked at your children's textbooks you might be able to understand that they would contain many gigs worth of data even in their static representation. Add the interactivity and video available through iBooks Author and you won't even fit one equivalent textbook in 8GB. One of two things need to happen in my evaluation. One: the textbooks need to be delivered via a web browser, or two the size of the onboard storage needs to increase dramatically.

Of course there is the alternative that we discontinue all public education and parents can opt to send their children to charter schools and pay for the high capacity iPad themselves.

I think the 8GB rumored iPad mini is for people who don't have a lot of media needs and also have a small budget.In addition the smaller screen is not as useful for education as the full size iPad in my opinion.

• Reply 99 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe one textbook. 

Speaking of which, they'll all need to be redone for this new size.

I know how many apps will fit onto the old 8gb 4/5th gen ipod touch, and it was nearly useless - assuming the larger screen, and compatability with the ipad apps, which tend to be larger than the ipod's.  Its a recipie for bad press.

• Reply 100 of 206

8GB model is going to be marketed heavily as a B2B device, think about it you can run a basic native application or a database through a server (e.g. Filemaker) and accomplish a lot of tasks.  I know I'll be ordering a few for my business.

There are countless possibilities: waitresses taking orders (or just buy an ipad and mount it to a table and have the customer beam the order to the kitchen/bar), hotel check-in, rentals on airline flights with a select set of pre-loaded movies and tv shows to choose from, data collection in the field (my personal favorite)/surveying, etc etc etc.