Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros

Comments

• Reply 41 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes, if they're going the 8GB route just to match some price point. iPod Nano is 16GB, touch is 32GB OR 64GB. Offering an iPad with only 8GB makes no sense. I understand the "premium" for Apple quality/user experience/ecosystem, etc. But 8GB fills up fast. Textbooks and especially magazines take up a lot of space.

It makes sense for VERY low usage, but I think that hinders the user experience so yeah.... it doesn't make sense. Perhaps they want the cloud to provide the content and apps on demand - but iOS 6 doesn't offer that, and I personally don't want to burden my Internet connection (or PAID cellular connection) for that.

UNLESS they change the model of how it's used. For example a $300 iPad/AppleTV combo, where the iPad is really a sophisticated remote control. Or the apps and books are stored on a local iTunes account and dynamically thrown to the iPad (a local 'cloud' cache) - but again no indication that iOS6 can do that, even if the new iTunes is able to act as a cloud cache.

• Reply 42 of 206
    But a smaller device with only twice the storage isn't?

Are you referring to the Nexus or the iPod Touch?
  • Reply 43 of 206

Quote:

I wish Jony Ive could get in front of the bean counters and/or marketing guys and strangle them. Offering an 8GB model just so the first price you see on a website is $249 is ridiculous. How the hell does Phil Schiller spin that?

Well, Phil Schiller just won't emphasize it's shortcomings, much like he side-stepped any hardware upgrades in last year's iPod Touch using 2010 technology for a minor discount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhdmZ7iNZYo&t=49m02s

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/10/if-the-a5-makes-mobile-gaming-awesome-why-isnt-it-in-the-ipod-touch/

Even though it included iOS 5, but 2010 iPod Touch owners got that anyway....

Instead of keeping all SoCs in sync across iOS devices (A5s in 2011 iPad and iPhone products), Apple set a precedence by reserving the newer SoCs for their premium-tier products.   Though maybe they didn't have enough to go around, or they wanted those to go to their iOS product with more 'perceived value'. 

At this point (and well into the future), I would assume that the iPad and iPhone will be the premium-tier iOS devices (with current SoCs), and iPod Touch and iPad mini's will be second-tier iOS devices (with last year's SoCs), even though it appears that current SoCs barely cost anymore for about twice the performance --  

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/pages/Many-iPhone-5-Components-Change-But-Most-Suppliers-Remain-the-Same-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

It may just come down to availability of current year SoCs, but given how Apple charges for flash storage upgrades, it's more likely 'perceived value' and profits.

I'd really like an iPad mini, but Apple better put one hell of a spin for me to buy any iOS device at these prices.    I just wonder how they're going to spin a tablet with a 2010 processor, lower-resolution screen, with an inadequate amount of flash storage.  Maybe it will include a modified A6.  I know, I'm dreaming....

I'll probably end up waiting for a 2014 iPad or the version including the PowerVR G6400 -- 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/2696934/powervr-series-6-mobile-gpu-announcement-ces-2012

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/46070-imagination-releases-powervr-6-more-powerful-than-hd-7750.html

• Reply 44 of 206
    It better not be! I'm disappointed in how heavy the New IPad is compared to IPad 2.
  • Reply 45 of 206

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Are you referring to the Nexus or the iPod Touch?

The latter, but if also the former, feel free to include it.

Originally Posted by Photonlake View Post

It better not be! I'm disappointed in how heavy the New IPad is compared to IPad 2.

0.1 pounds. How utterly disappointing. The first gen was 1.5 lbs. That's still crazy light.

• Reply 46 of 206
    Isn't it obvious that this list is a fake.

An 8GB iPad is ridiculous. Never. You'd have to e daftto even consider buying sucha product if Apple offered it, which Apple would not.
  • Reply 47 of 206
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

If the lowest iPad Mini model comes in at $249 USD, then it's fairly obvious that it's going to sell like crazy. Expect to see many iPad minis underneath many X-Mas trees in a few months. 

That's a ridiculously cheap price point for people to be able to get an iPad and to gain access to the Apple eco-system, which of course is the best on the planet and miles ahead of everybody else.

And to those who say that 8GB is too little, then just buy a higher model and quit your whining, problem solved. 

• Reply 48 of 206
    The prices look very plausible. Competing well enough with the bottom-feeders, while still getting good margins for the higher spec machines, and differentiation from the iPod touch models (basically a screen vs memory trade-off). And yes, these prices would includes sales tax (VAT), so it could sell for equivalent prices in US$, maximally starting at $299.
  • Reply 49 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

An 8GB iPad is ridiculous. Never. You'd have to e daftto even consider buying sucha product if Apple offered it, which Apple would not.

Wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an 8GB iPad, as I already own a shit load of apps (probably over 100 GB), but for certain people (people who are on a budget, or maybe somebody buying an iPad for their kids), 8 GB is doable.

You could load it up with Netflix, HBO GO, Max GO and Amazon player, and have instant access to thousands and thousands of movies and series. Those apps take up almost no space at all. 

8 GB is fully doable for many people. That means people who do not need to store a ton of media on their device and people who rely a lot on streaming content, plus people who are on a budget who wish to get their paws on an iPad for as cheap as possible.

I'd rather have a 4 GB iPad instead of a 64 GB Android tablet.

• Reply 50 of 206

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Isn't it obvious that this list is a fake. An 8GB iPad is ridiculous. Never. You'd have to e daftto even consider buying sucha product if Apple offered it, which Apple would not.

I buy it.

The list, that is. Not the…

"WE KNOW. GET ON WITH IT."

…well, then.

• Reply 51 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A $100 upcharge for a relatively inexpensive component cost on another 8GB of storage is where the money is.

Absolutely.

If they price their base product (whatever it is) with no profit at all, but most people want to pay extra for the next model up which has a much bigger profit, it's a nice strategy.

• Reply 52 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photonlake View Post

Yeah, Apple really badly misses having people like you as a customer.....?

• Reply 53 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    carmissimo wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious that this list is a fake.
    I agree. I'd love to see how Phil Schiller could flog an 8GB $250 device. These "it's not Android" comments are ridiculous. The Nexus 7 is not a bad device at all. And if you're using such a device for books or video content does the underlying OS really matter that much? Is a Kindle or Nook app going to be that much different on Android vs iOS?
  • Reply 54 of 206
    The prices look very plausible. Competing well enough with the bottom-feeders, while still getting good margins for the higher spec machines, and differentiation from the iPod touch models (basically a screen vs memory trade-off). And yes, these prices would includes sales tax (VAT), so it could sell for equivalent prices in US$, maximally starting at $299.
    So an 8GB device for $299 is competing with the bottom feeders? Apple should be laughed out of the room for even thinking they can get away with an 8GB device that is $50-$100 mor than devices that have twice or more storage space.
  • Reply 55 of 206

And if you're using such a device for books or video content does the underlying OS really matter that much?

Thing is, it isn't designed for books. It's designed as a smaller tablet.

You want an eReader, buy an eReader.

• Reply 56 of 206

Quote:

I agree. I'd love to see how Phil Schiller could flog an 8GB $250 device. These "it's not Android" comments are ridiculous. The Nexus 7 is not a bad device at all. And if you're using such a device for books or video content does the underlying OS really matter that much? Is a Kindle or Nook app going to be that much different on Android vs iOS?

I think that your comment is ridiculous.

Why would you get upset if Apple offers an 8GB model? If 8GB is not cutting it for you, then you choose another model. Or you could even go and buy an Android tablet, Apple doesn't care about what you do.

And also "it's not Android" comments are not ridiculous at all. A purchaser of the entry level iPad Mini model still gains access to the Apple App store, which just kicks ass, compared to everybody else, having more apps, better games and better everything.

• Reply 56 of 206
    Absolutely.
    If they price their base product (whatever it is) with no profit at all, but most people want to pay extra for the next model up which has a much bigger profit, it's a nice strategy.
    So a 7.85 8GB device priced at $299 would be break even for Apple? I somehow doubt that.
  • Reply 58 of 206
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

An 8 GB iPad Mini?  I thought Apple was trying to get away from low capacity devices?

It'll be discontinued within a year. It is possible to construe a use for an 8gb iPad - dedicated use, few apps, no music or movies, minor amount of browsing, some email (perhaps not), messaging - such as retail POS. But realistically i think the sales number for an 8gb model will make it uneconomical over time. Next year it'll be 16, 32 and 64.

• Reply 59 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So an 8GB device for $299 is competing with the bottom feeders? Apple should be laughed out of the room for even thinking they can get away with an 8GB device that is $50-$100 mor than devices that have twice or more storage space.

The way the iPad was laughed out of the room for trying to compete with tablets with a "real" OS? The way the iPhone was laughed out of the room for trying to compete with smartphones with "real" keyboards?
  • Reply 60 of 206
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153366/retailer-purports-to-show-ipad-mini-in-wi-fi-cellular-models-priced-from-250-650-euros/40#post_2211319"]I think that your comment is ridiculous.

Why would you get upset if Apple offers an 8GB model? If 8GB is not cutting it for you, then you choose another model. Or you could even go and buy an Android tablet, Apple doesn't care about what you do.

And also "it's not Android" comments are not ridiculous at all. A purchaser of the entry level iPad Mini model still gains access to the Apple App store, which just kicks ass, compared to everybody else, having more apps, better games and better everything.
    I think 8GB at $299 is a ripoff. Especially with Google now selling the Nexus 7 at ~$260 for 32GB. 16GB at $299 would make more sense. That I think would really fly off the shelves. 8GB Is just chintzy. Heck even the iPod Nano starts at 16GB, and the iPod touch is 32/64GB.