Exclusive: 'iPad mini' part numbers reveal Apple plans 12 configurations in two colors

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipm View Post

So much speculation with no official announcement. What will Apple stock do if when nothing happens?

fixed

• Reply 42 of 106
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

You sure about that? 

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/are-black-and-white-colors

This whole site goes completely around the point and is less than helpful in that it attacks the problem form the point of view of physics.  

In fact, "colour" is not a scientific term (the article itself talks about two completely different and conflicting scientific explanations for "colour"), but an artistic one.  

For an artist, black and white are not colours, nor can they be.  

Simply put, black and white provide for different shades (by adding black) and tints (by adding white) of the same colour.  

Since this separation into colour and shade is the same way all humans have described and used colour in their daily lives for many thousands of years now without change, It's safe to say that the most practical and widely used description of colour tells us that black and white are not in fact, "colours" (regardless of the arguments of misguided physicists).  

• Reply 43 of 106
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You mean the event that was supposed to happen this week with invites that were supposed to go out last week?

Or the unannounced event next week with the invites that haven't gone out this week?

Part number lists are usually pretty solid evidence, I think we'll see something shortly.

• Reply 44 of 106

So four models: P101, P103, P105, P107, two are "BTR".  Each of those is split A/B and good/better/best.

As others have stated, A/B is obviously black and white, and good/better/best is likely 3 capacities.

I don't agree with any of the speculation on what the models are though.  The "BTR" groups them into two pairs. This means 2 carriers + wifi doesn't make sense (what's the second wifi model?), and neither does 3 carriers + wifi (not two pairs).

Here's my bet:

wifi @ 8, 16, 32 GB

wifi + 3G @ 8, 16, 32 GB

retina + wifi @ 16, 32, 64 GB

retina + wifi + 4G @  16, 32, 64 GB

The retina model may include other upgrades such as faster processor/graphics, or improved camera.

This covers the full range of the market from low-price for kids/educational to high-end for people wanting full features in a smaller form factor.  I don't think this is an instance of over-complication so much as Apple compensating for not have a "last year's" model of the iPad mini for the low end.

• Reply 45 of 106
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rogifan wrote: »
    You'll have to give me some more shit then because I think 8GB is a big FAIL. It does not take long at all to fill Up 8GB. Should be 16, 32, 64 in black and white and then 3G or LTE options.
    Not only that, but why would Apple only release a 32GB and 64GB model of the iPod Touch, if 8GB is more than enough for most people? Even the 4th gen Touch is offered in 16GB min configuration. Is this because the Touch is supposed to hold a minimum amount of music?

So what is the tablet supposed to hold? In addition to a healthy music catalogue, would think a mini-tablet would primarily be used to hold movies, books and games. All of which are considerably larger files than mp3s. A larger screen is also going to encourage more photographic usage, and a huge collection of higher res photos will fill up 8GB in no time. While anecdotal, my mom has a 16GB iPad, and she downloads so many family photos that every 3 months or so, she has to clean it out to make room for new, and that's about all she uses it for besides crosswords and books. I have a 16GB iPad too and am constantly having to drop apps, delete music, movies and photographs, to make room for new. This is especially problematic when I get ready to shoot a new movie, or take more pictures and have to figure out what I don't need in that moment. I had to buy the camera kit in order to get a $30 64GB SD card to carry around movies when I travel, which while easy to do, is outside the capacity of the average user, and is not officially supported by Apple.

If Apple is so concerned about user experience, 8GB is going to quickly become a problem for the average tablet user with no real idea about how much or little 8GB represents in practical use when they purchase it.
  • Reply 46 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This whole site goes completely around the point and is less than helpful in that it attacks the problem form the point of view of physics.  

Since this separation into colour and shade is the same way all humans have described and used colour in their daily lives for many thousands of years now without change, It's safe to say that the most practical and widely used description of colour tells us that black and white are not in fact, "colours" (regardless of the arguments of misguided physicists).  

The site also misses an important perspective: biological.  Black and white are perceived by a separate mechanism from colours (rods vs cones).  This would support the stance that neither black nor white are colours. Although this whole argument is just semantics...

• Reply 47 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

Here's my bet:

wifi @ 8, 16, 32 GB

wifi + 3G @ 8, 16, 32 GB

retina + wifi @ 16, 32, 64 GB

retina + wifi + 4G @  16, 32, 64 GB

I like that. This sort of what I had in mind but I just didn't think it through as throughly as you did.

• Reply 48 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nht wrote: »
    You really are a glass half empty kinda person aren't you?  Don't like it, don't buy it.  There are plenty of folks that for some reason never fill up their iOS devices and for them 8GB is fine.
    honestly I think it's too many SKU'S. what's the reason for needing 8, 16, 32 & 64 other than marking has come up with a "starting from" price target and operations/finance says the only way we can meet this target is to offer it in 8GB.
  • Reply 49 of 106
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I like that. This sort of what I had in mind but I just didn't think it through as throughly as you did.

Yes, I might quibble that the 3G is probably 4G in the non-retina.

• Reply 50 of 106
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    '
    honestly I think it's too many SKU'S. what's the reason for needing 8, 16, 32 & 64 other than marking has come up with a "starting from" price target and operations/finance says the only way we can meet this target is to offer it in 8GB.

A new tack in your FUD campaign: too many SKUs!

SKU-gate! Apple is losing it! ("under Tim Cook" is optional).

The 8G will make millions of people happy, especially in schools, especially in China, and wherever American/Western geek data-consumption appetites do not prevail.
  • Reply 51 of 106

Here are some configurations and numbers to play with.

Underlined are the sweet spot configurations.

It is assumed that there is value to continue to offer the iPad 2 as a full-size  mid priced tablet for education, special enterprise needs that are price sensitive.

Mini             iPad2       iPad3         SSD

*  $199                                             08 GB

*  $249      * $299                           16 GB

*  $299       * $349       * $499        32 GB

* $399        * $649       64 GB

* $799      128 GB

LTE $100     3G $100      LTE $100

• Reply 52 of 106
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    I have to agree with bruce k, I am not sure about adding the iPad mini to the lineup and what they are trying to accomplish. The only good reason I can see for doing this is to appeal to the size and weight needs of people that want a smaller tablet, NOT a cheaper tablet. If Apple are worried about the lower price segment I think they should wait till iPad 4 then have the iPad 2 cover the $299 price point, maybe even release a month early, like in February. Apple don't want to risk cannibalizing their high end, higher margin iPads, not to mention diluting their 'premium' brand. Then again, Apple could be right - they usually know what they are doing.
  • Reply 53 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The 8G will make millions of people happy, especially in schools, especially in China, and wherever American/Western geek data-consumption appetites do not prevail.

The "SKU" requirement is due to the nature of the beast -- these are appliances, as opposed to computers that can be upgraded in the field.  With appliances, one size does not fit all...  you select the size (SKU) you need based on the jobs you want it to do...  If your needs change -- you buy another appliance.

• Reply 54 of 106
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Not only that, but why would Apple only release a 32GB and 64GB model of the iPod Touch, if 8GB is more than enough for most people? Even the 4th gen Touch is offered in 16GB min configuration. Is this because the Touch is supposed to hold a minimum amount of music?
    So what is the tablet supposed to hold? In addition to a healthy music catalogue, would think a mini-tablet would primarily be used to hold movies, books and games. All of which are considerably larger files than mp3s. A larger screen is also going to encourage more photographic usage, and a huge collection of higher res photos will fill up 8GB in no time. While anecdotal, my mom has a 16GB iPad, and she downloads so many family photos that every 3 months or so, she has to clean it out to make room for new, and that's about all she uses it for besides crosswords and books. I have a 16GB iPad too and am constantly having to drop apps, delete music, movies and photographs, to make room for new. This is especially problematic when I get ready to shoot a new movie, or take more pictures and have to figure out what I don't need in that moment. I had to buy the camera kit in order to get a $30 64GB SD card to carry around movies when I travel, which while easy to do, is outside the capacity of the average user, and is not officially supported by Apple.
    If Apple is so concerned about user experience, 8GB is going to quickly become a problem for the average tablet user with no real idea about how much or little 8GB represents in practical use when they purchase it.
    I have a 32GB iPhone and have very little space left. Magazines are huge. I have Spotify music cached for when I'm at work and can't use Wi-fi and don't want to use up cellular data plan. I'm sure 8GB would be ok for some but to me it seems all about meeting some price point. As if Phil Schiller told Tim Cook we have to have a starting point of $249.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    flaneur wrote: »
    '
    8GB at $250 when Google is supposedly coming out with a 32GB nexus 7 for roughly the same price is ridiculous. I understand paying a premium for Apple stuff but even that seems a bit of a stretch.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    Here are some configurations and numbers to play with.

Underlined are the sweet spot configurations.

It is assumed that there is value to continue to offer the iPad 2 as a full-size  mid priced tablet for education, special enterprise needs that are price sensitive.

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;">     Mini             iPad2       iPad3         SSD</p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;min-height:15px;"> </p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;">  *  $199                                             08 GB</p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;">  *  $249      * $299                           16 GB</p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;">  *  $299       * $349       * $499        32 GB</p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;">                     * $399        * $649       64 GB</p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;">                                        * $799      128 GB</p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;"> </p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Verdana;"> LTE $100     3G $100      LTE $100</p>
    Now this makes more sense. :)
  • Reply 57 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

I have to agree with bruce k, I am not sure about adding the iPad mini to the lineup and what they are trying to accomplish. The only good reason I can see for doing this is to appeal to the size and weight needs of people that want a smaller tablet, NOT a cheaper tablet. If Apple are worried about the lower price segment I think they should wait till iPad 4 then have the iPad 2 cover the $299 price point, maybe even release a month early, like in February. Apple don't want to risk cannibalizing their high end, higher margin iPads, not to mention diluting their 'premium' brand. Then again, Apple could be right - they usually know what they are doing.

I would guess that Apple has "plans" for the iPad Mini that go far beyond the traditional * usage of tablet and book reader devices.

* Ha! After 2 years, we have "traditional" tablet uses 

The same applies to a high-end tablet.

• Reply 58 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I have a 32GB iPhone and have very little space left. Magazines are huge. I have Spotify music cached for when I'm at work and can't use Wi-fi and don't want to use up cellular data plan. I'm sure 8GB would be ok for some but to me it seems all about meeting some price point. As if Phil Schiller told Tim Cook we have to have a starting point of $249.

The last time I looked at magazines on iDevices, they were huge storage hogs.   But, this was because of the way they were designed.   Basically, instead of interactive text/image pages that you could manipulate (pan, zoom, increase font size,  etc.) you had a static, high-resolution image of each magazine page...  even worse than that, you had 2 sets of these images --- one for portrait and one for landscape.  This is terribly wasteful!

• Reply 59 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple really should avoid releasing an 8gb model just to reach a lower price-point (unless it's solely for the EDU market) as such a paltry capacity on an iOS device leaves very little room for anything.

Other 'mobile OS' devices can often get away with such a small capacity as their apps tend to be (much) smaller in size than iOS offerings, but with a mere 7.25 or so user accessible storage on an 8gb iOS device, users will likely quickly become frustrated with running out of space, with no option for exspansion.

We'll See...

I know a very large number of people who basically use their iPad for email/web browsing/FB, plus a few apps, while storing little to no media. For them, 8GB would be more than enough. Realize that there are different types of people with different use cases. ie. my parents would never need anything more than 8GB. They're probably using 2 at most, and it's not increasing. I'd say on a VERY large percentage of iPad, the 16GBs is mostly going unused. 

• Reply 60 of 106
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    8GB at $250 when Google is supposedly coming out with a 32GB nexus 7 for roughly the same price is ridiculous. I understand paying a premium for Apple stuff but even that seems a bit of a stretch.

Ok, no comparison between plastic vs. aluminum, build quality in general, ecosystem, etc.?