Exclusive: 'iPad mini' part numbers reveal Apple plans 12 configurations in two colors

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

8GB at $250 when Google is supposedly coming out with a 32GB nexus 7 for roughly the same price is ridiculous. I understand paying a premium for Apple stuff but even that seems a bit of a stretch.

Except, the app situation on the nexus is complete shit. I own one. Seems like I'm using a massive cell phone most of the time. Also, thats a hypothetical product. The current one is 16, and I hardly use any of it on mine, and I feel its the same for many owners. 

• Reply 62 of 106

For what it's worth, I'm seeing a lot of iPads used around town (Austin, TX) as point-of-sale devices, kiosks, and advertising boards. A cheaper, 8GB iPad would be fine in this role and in some cases the smaller screen size would actually be a plus.

• Reply 63 of 106
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

If Steve Jobs was still with us,

These would have been coded as

Great, Greater, Greatest

Insane, insaner, insanest!

• Reply 64 of 106
    "GOOD BETTER BEST". Yeah right, those are believable product names. I smell another hoaxed screenshot, brought to you by the Internets.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Ok, no comparison between plastic vs. aluminum, build quality in general, ecosystem, etc.?
    Not once have I said Apple doesn't deserve to charge a premium. All I'm saying is 8GB at $250 or $299 is a bad idea. 8GB at $199 would be better.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    s'harien wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I'm seeing a lot of iPads used around town (Austin, TX) as point-of-sale devices, kiosks, and advertising boards. A cheaper, 8GB iPad would be fine in this role and in some cases the smaller screen size would actually be a plus.

In this discussion, that's worth a lot. There's a general refusal around here to imagine use cases, or to start from the premise that Apple knows what it's doing.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

marking has come up with a "starting from" price target and operations/finance says the only way we can meet this target is to offer it in 8GB.

This is a problem how?  You don't think that Apple makes design trades in order to hit specific price points and incentivize upsell?

Apple's product lineup is as carefully engineered as the products themselves. It strikes me that the base model on most Apple products is so-so.

• Reply 68 of 106

Not once have I said Apple doesn't deserve to charge a premium. All I'm saying is 8GB at $250 or $299 is a bad idea. 8GB at $199 would be better.

8GB at "give the user $400,000,000 to take one off our hands" would be even better.

You have to look at what this thing is on its own to be able to see why the SKUs are the way they are.

• Reply 69 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

I have a 32GB iPhone and have very little space left. Magazines are huge. I have Spotify music cached for when I'm at work and can't use Wi-fi and don't want to use up cellular data plan. I'm sure 8GB would be ok for some but to me it seems all about meeting some price point. As if Phil Schiller told Tim Cook we have to have a starting point of $249.

Wait, you're saying Apple makes design/feature/spec trade-offs so that they can hit certain pricepoints? Woah, my mind is blown! 

Seriously, do you not realize that every device, from its CONCEPTION, is designed to hit a target price? You think they just designed the iPad without regard to price then randomly priced it at $499? No, their goal was to hit that price from the get go, and it was meticulously designed with that in mind. There's nothing wrong with doing so as long as major quality compromised aren't made. Considering an iPad mini might solely be used as web portal by many, 8GB would not fall into such a compromise. However, making it from shitty plastic, with a shitty screen, laggy performance, etc WOULD be a problem. Thankfully, based on Apple's history this will not be the case. 

• Reply 70 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd think Good, Better, Best refers to storage capacity not to wireless connectivity.

Is there are just two colors and 3 different capacities that leaves two types within each capacity. That seems to point to a WiFi and 4G LTE variety for two base carriers configurations. 2 carriers x 2 wireless types x 3 capacities x 2 colors = 24 SKUs.

But how do you have two carriers for the Wifi version??

• Reply 71 of 106

Quote:

Now this makes more sense. image

Then no one will go with Ipod touch.

• Reply 72 of 106

Originally Posted by Zhongqi Li View Post

Then no one will go with Ipod touch.

Device that can fit in a pocket vs. device that can't fit in a pocket. 

I figure people will still buy an iPod touch.

• Reply 73 of 106
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Right, or, device that will fit in pants pocket vs. device that will only fit in jacket pocket or purse.
  • Reply 74 of 106

I still believe they will release a mini as well as a revamped 9.7" iPad with a thunderbolt, maybe a newer processor or cooler battery.

Good, better best =  16, 32, 64GB

A/B = Black/White.

101/103 = WiFi only(101) / 4G+WiFi (103) Mini

105/107 = WiFi only(105) / 4G+WiFi(107) New iPad.

They'll probably introduce the A6 into the larger iPad and the lightning connector to start getting everything on board with it.

• Reply 75 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple really should avoid releasing an 8gb model just to reach a lower price-point (unless it's solely for the EDU market) as such a paltry capacity on an iOS device leaves very little room for anything.

Other 'mobile OS' devices can often get away with such a small capacity as their apps tend to be (much) smaller in size than iOS offerings, but with a mere 7.25 or so user accessible storage on an 8gb iOS device, users will likely quickly become frustrated with running out of space, with no option for exspansion.

We'll See...

It's far worse than you say.

I have a couple of iPod touches running iOS 6.0. Settings:General:About yields the following:

8GB model     Capacity   6.4 GB

32GB model   Capacity 28.2 GB

If you sync photos you have to leave a bunch of space free. If you use it to take photos you have to leave even more empty. That means an 8GB device really only has 4 GB of usable space for music, apps and the data your apps store.

Contrary to information out of Germany I think Apple will include 16GB in the base model iPad mini. I also think they'll continue to charge $100 more for the 32GB model. It's outrageous! If the iPad had a microSD slot you could add 16GB for just $9.

• Reply 76 of 106
    The current iPad is 9 different models in two different colors (so 18 different choices). Three storage size choices, and three connectivity choices (Wi-Fi only, ATT, Verizon).

If they add an 8GB size, that's 12 models.
  • Reply 77 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Right, or, device that will fit in pants pocket vs. device that will only fit in jacket pocket or purse.

I just tried putting a Kindle Fire into my jacket. It wasn't very successful. Quite a bit of the unit hangs out of the pocket putting it at high risk of coming out (falling or getting help from someone else's hand).

The iPad mini will likely be noticeably bigger than the Fire so I don't think it'll fit into pockets comfortably.

• Reply 78 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ah, it does look like I failed to calculate the WiFi models into the SKU lineup.

nht wrote: »
    A retina iPad Mini would sell well and has the same advantages as a retina iPhone.  It's probably more important given that the iPad Mini is larger and you're more likely to read or watch movies on it than the iPhone.

Plus Infinity Blade 2 will look damn pretty on it.  

I'd pay extra for retina but I can see why a bunch of folks wouldn't since the 1024x768 resolution is still better on the Mini than on the iPad 2 which is already pretty nice.

How would that work? Are you talking about 262 PPI or 326 PPI? If you are talking 262 PPI, same as iPad (3), what would this unique resolution be. If you are talking 326 PPI, you get the same resolution as the iPad (3) using the pixel density of the iPhone displays. How would this thing not be more expensive than the iPad (3) from additional shrunken components and increased complexity? How would it be light and thin enough to be feasible? The iPad (3) certainly got thicker and heavier because of the Retina display.

"GOOD BETTER BEST". Yeah right, those are believable product names. I smell another hoaxed screenshot, brought to you by the Internets.

We've seen that for years. It's how the SKUs labeled for the low, mid and high end models.
  • Reply 79 of 106
    The maps will still be TomToms terrible answer to Google maps which still suck. Jobs is rolling in his grave and wondering why he picked Tim "Idiot" Cook to succeed him.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not the new model at the new prices.