Exclusive: 'iPad mini' part numbers reveal Apple plans 12 configurations in two colors

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Right, or, device that will fit in pants pocket vs. device that will only fit in jacket pocket or purse.

Yup.  Why does it HAVE to fit in a pants pocket anyway?  Nothing bigger than a phone is going to, so...

I take my phone out of my pocket half the time when I'm sitting to be more comfortable, and that's just the way it is.  My solution would be to find some pants with bigger pockets (or keep it somewhere else) not find a smaller phone.

• Reply 82 of 106
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How would that work? Are you talking about 262 PPI or 326 PPI? If you are talking 262 PPI, same as iPad (3), what would this unique resolution be. If you are talking 326 PPI, you get the same resolution as the iPad (3) using the pixel density of the iPhone displays. How would this thing not be more expensive than the iPad (3) from additional shrunken components and increased complexity? How would it be light and thin enough to be feasible? The iPad (3) certainly got thicker and heavier because of the Retina display.

326 PPI and a little cheaper than the equivalent iPad 3. 32nm A5X vs 45nm A5X (i.e. higher yields per wafer).  Same kind of panel as in the iPod Touch 5th gen (cheaper type of panel than in the iPhone).  Cost savings just because we're 6 months in.

$299 for the current iPod touch.  Add the costs for a bigger panel and the A5X and you can guesstimate the price of a retina iPad mini viable around $399-$449 for 16GB...or $100-$50 cheaper than the current iPad.  I favor $399.

Come spring the 4th gen iPad will get the A6.  $399 for a retina mini based on the A5X or $499 for a full sized iPad based on the A6X.

• Reply 83 of 106
    Ok, I have to wonder, if there is a LTE model as this post suggests, wouldn't that mean A6 processor? If it has the A6 and 1GB ram, I'll be in line..
  • Reply 84 of 106
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

I still think simple was the better take for the iPad Mini.  Wi-Fi only, 16GB, decent cameras.  Maybe have a 32GB option and some colors besides Black and White.  That's it.  Once you start adding other things, you end up w/24 versions of the same product, which is just nuts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

retina + wifi @ 16, 32, 64 GB

retina + wifi + 4G @  16, 32, 64 GB

The retina model may include other upgrades such as faster processor/graphics, or improved camera.

You are forgetting that the iPad 3 got bigger b/c it needed more battery to back the lighting needed for Retina.  It's possible they could get away w/not needing that 2nd strip in the smaller iPad, but Retina will still use a lot more power.  I wouldn't count on Retina and I really wouldn't count on upgraded processors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It is assumed that there is value to continue to offer the iPad 2 as a full-size  mid priced tablet for education, special enterprise needs that are price sensitive.

Mini             iPad2       iPad3         SSD

*  $199                                             08 GB

*  $249      * $299                           16 GB

*  $299       * $349       * $499        32 GB

* $399        * $649       64 GB

* $799      128 GB

LTE $100     3G $100      LTE $100

It must also assume Apple are changing the storage space on the iPad 3, b/c it is sold at 16/32/64

• Reply 85 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

If Apple is so concerned about user experience, 8GB is going to quickly become a problem for the average tablet user with no real idea about how much or little 8GB represents in practical use when they purchase it.

But you're describing one kind of user.  There is another who is happy to rarely put media on it or many apps and just wants it for other things.  Plus, for a second tablet in a family, I'd be hard pressed to rationalize the high premium for 16 or 32 when the main tablet can be considered the one that gets stuff loaded on to.   There definitely is an 8 GB user.

• Reply 86 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I still think simple was the better take for the iPad Mini.  Wi-Fi only, 16GB, decent cameras.  Maybe have a 32GB option and some colors besides Black and White.  That's it.  Once you start adding other things, you end up w/24 versions of the same product, which is just nuts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

retina + wifi @ 16, 32, 64 GB

retina + wifi + 4G @  16, 32, 64 GB

The retina model may include other upgrades such as faster processor/graphics, or improved camera.

You are forgetting that the iPad 3 got bigger b/c it needed more battery to back the lighting needed for Retina.  It's possible they could get away w/not needing that 2nd strip in the smaller iPad, but Retina will still use a lot more power.  I wouldn't count on Retina and I really wouldn't count on upgraded processors

Quote:

It is assumed that there is value to continue to offer the iPad 2 as a full-size  mid priced tablet for education, special enterprise needs that are price sensitive.

Mini             iPad2       iPad3         SSD

*  $199                                             08 GB

*  $249      * $299                           16 GB

*  $299       * $349       * $499        32 GB

* $399        * $649       64 GB

* $799      128 GB

LTE $100     3G $100      LTE $100

It must also assume Apple are changing the storage space on the iPad 3, b/c it is sold at 16/32/64

Yeah... That's why I added it!   IMO, it is time to disrupt the tablet market... again!

• Reply 87 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Yeah... That's why I added it!   IMO, it is time to disrupt the tablet market... again!

Agreed. Let's see where Apple prices these, just how "disruptive" they want to be.

• Reply 88 of 106
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetDon View Post

The current iPad is 9 different models in two different colors (so 18 different choices). Three storage size choices, and three connectivity choices (Wi-Fi only, ATT, Verizon).

If they add an 8GB size, that's 12 models.

No.  1 size (8GB), 2 colors and 3 connectivity would be 6.  1*2*3 is how you do the math to figure number of specs.  So 6 new options added to the 18 old, woudl be 24.

2 colors * 4 storage sizes * 3 connectivity choices = 24

Alternately, it could be 1 storage size and 8 colors or 4 colors and 2 storage sizes, plus 3 connectivity choices :)

• Reply 89 of 106

Best common sense analysis  on the Internet...if it actually does exist.

• Reply 90 of 106

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Not the new model at the new prices.

Except it has been shown that they're buying it just fine. What "new" price? It's the same price at which the last model was introduced.

• Reply 91 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Device that can fit in a pocket vs. device that can't fit in a pocket. 

I figure people will still buy an iPod touch.

No, buy BIGGER pants!

• Reply 92 of 106
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member

You know we could be looking at these SKU's completely wrong.

It could just be 8GB or 16GB models. Wifi ONLY and then multiple colours (similar to the ones shown on the invite and on the iPod Touch)

It would make sense if they were aiming the product at schools and that market.

But then would it be the iPad Mini or the iPod Maxi?

Theres an obvious joke there about them making a 13" iPad and calling it the Maxi Pad but those jokes are so 2010.

• Reply 93 of 106

Quote:

Except it has been shown that they're buying it just fine. What "new" price? It's the same price at which the last model was introduced.

Obviously meaning the price of the current, newest version.   And where are you getting figures that they're selling "fine"?  I've yet to see one in the wild.   

• Reply 94 of 106

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Obviously meaning the price of the current, newest version.

Yeah, and there's nothing new about that price.

And where are you getting figures that they're selling "fine"?  I've yet to see one in the wild.   

We'll just have to wait for the quarterly earnings report, then.

• Reply 95 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    -ag- wrote: »
    You know we could be looking at these SKU's completely wrong.

It could just be 8GB or 16GB models. Wifi ONLY and then multiple colours (similar to the ones shown on the invite and on the iPod Touch)
    It would make sense if they were aiming the product at schools and that market.

But then would it be the iPad Mini or the iPod Maxi?

Theres an obvious joke there about them making a 13" iPad and calling it the Maxi Pad but those jokes are so 2010.

If they are listed as good, better, and best then I think that's 3 capacities. I am not convinced about the cellular option because of the cost involved and do think they will follow colors like with the Touch.

If we are to believe the 24 SKUs I'm not sure how that would break down. I'm also not convinced that an inexpensive and small iPad would have 3 colors. 16GB and 32GB for $249 and $349 seems more likely to me.
  • Reply 96 of 106

How is this an "Exclusive" when Gizmodo and The Verge ran this story hours before AI touched it?

Sorry, but that's a bit ridiculous.

• Reply 97 of 106

Quote:

We'll just have to wait for the quarterly earnings report, then.

That's quite a different answer than "Except it has been shown that they're buying it just fine."

I figured you'd want to link to your info if you had some.

I ride the NYC subway twice a day and am always checking out what people are playing with.  Haven't seen a new iPod Touch yet (though I see many of the smaller sized tablets that you say there is no use for. At least as many small tablets as full size ones).

I spent an hour at the Apple Store on 5th Ave NYC today and took note of the fact that no one on line was purchasing one.  I've read a barrel of reviews of the new IPT and can't recall one that didn't say it was nice but wondered who Apple was figuring would pay that much for it.

Just curious where you're getting your stat from.  If I have to wait for the quarterly earnings that answers the question.

• Reply 98 of 106
    SolipsismX wrote:
    I'd think Good, Better, Best refers to storage capacity not to wireless connectivity. Is there are just two colors and 3 different capacities that leaves two types within each capacity. That seems to point to a WiFi and 4G LTE variety for two base carriers configurations. 2 carriers x 2 wireless types x 3 capacities x 2 colors = 24 SKUs.

By your math the wifi only models would be locked to a carrier as well. I doubt it which leaves 6 unexplained models ie. 4 size configurations or 3 carriers (maybe sprint?)
    2 carriers x 4 capacities x 2 colors = 16 8 wifi = 24 or...
    3 carriers x 3 capacities x 2 colors = 18 6 wifi = 24
  • Reply 99 of 106
    I'll take one. This will be my first iPad. The normal one is a little pricey, I'd rather buy a Mac Mini for $100 more...
  • Reply 100 of 106
    or what if.....

3 wireless types x 4 capacities x 2 screens (LCD or retina) = 24 SKUs.