Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 41 of 241
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,099member

No appealing to the freetard a$$hats here on this thread.  Had Apple priced it at $299, then they would simply switch tunes and say "It should be $249!".  Guess what?  Had Apple did $249, they would simply whine "But, but... it should be $199!!".

Simple thing is, most of these whiners and trolls would not even buy an iPad anyways.  They are just fanning flames for the sake of doing it.

Apple priced it just right.  Realistically, they will be the only ones making any money off their offerings.  Which of course the iHaters here will simply counteract it by saying "But, but... Apple has no right to make any profit off the back of consumers!!!"

The iPad mini is going to decimate the current market of lower-priced tablets.  What will happen now is that the Android/Kindle trash will simply get pushed down to $99 and be advertised as a combination tablet/doorstop.

I'll wait to see how the iHaters spin that one...

• Reply 42 of 241
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

You are assuming that the user-experience on the mini will be identical to what it is on the iPad...

perhaps very generally it may be,

but the experience on the iPhone and the iPad are markedly different,

so I'm not sure how you can presume to know what it will be on the mini...

did you receive a review mini that you've been using for a while?

I know what the experience will be on an iPad Mini, even though I haven't tried one yet.

How do I know? I used to have an iPad 2, that's how.

• Reply 43 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yep, Apple does not need to defend any of their prices.

There are people who appreciate Apple's quality, and then there are people who don't. Luckily for those sorts of people,  bottom of the barrel Android devices are available.

yes, as idiotic as buying a 200 dollar hammer because it is made of brushed aluminum - never mind that technology has no inherent value but the one given by its use.

you should use iOS products, they are made and marketed to you.

• Reply 44 of 241
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Wouldn't that be more prejudiced than bigoted?

Prejudice is often assumed by most people to be about race (although it doesn't have to be), whereas bigotry covers any kind of bias (even though a lot of people think it's only about race).  

• Reply 45 of 241
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The problem is not that it's too high compare to Nexus7 or Kindle Fire HD. It's comparing with the iPad 4 for $499 and refurb iPad3 for $379 that's problematic!

Huh? It's $170 cheaper than an iPad 4. What's the problem? If you are going to compare to a refurb iPad 3, then use the refurb iPad mini price to compare. Refurb iPad minis will likely be available before Christmas.

But all of that is moot. Apple doesn't mind if you buy an iPad mini or an iPad 3 - they make money either way. 

• Reply 46 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Since you have never used a Kindle Fire, what the hell do you know?  The Kindle Fire is actually a very nice tablet device that does exactly what it is advertised to do.  It is far better than the other tablet devices out there, and Amazon continues to sell many of them.  Despite what you believe, it is very easy to use and has a nice user-experience.  Why do you think Amazon continues to develop them and release new versions?  They sell well for Amazon, so good for them.

Exactly how many has Amazon sold?

• Reply 47 of 241
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

No appealing to the freetard a$$hats here on this thread. 

Yeah, seriously. Some people need to go get a job or something. 

Whining about a very reasonably priced $329 Apple product. image It's pathetic.

• Reply 48 of 241
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why does he have to defend it? It's an Apple product. They know how to price them properly. 

Depends if they can sell everything they make.  If not the price is too high.  We will see friday how it goes. 

The mini build quality is superior, but the rest of the specs are in favor of the other 2 tablets. On a spec sheet the mini is losing it, but on looks and feel and usability it wins hands down. To me the Android tablets are pure garbage because I love a good design, but a lot of geeks out there are specs freaks. I think most consumers will go for looks and brand name, which may let Apple get away with a small premium on price.

On the plus side, the mini price takes care of cannibalization.  It wont matter if the mini eats up ipad sales.

Spec sheet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-57537541-243/ipad-mini-vs-google-nexus-7-vs-amazon-kindle-fire-hd/

• Reply 49 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The iPad is far and away the most successful product in its category," Schiller said. "The most affordable product we've made so far was $399 and people were choosing that over those other devices.

"And now you can get a device that's even more affordable at $329 in this great new form, and I think a lot of customers are going to be very excited about that."

This is called a "defense"?

Sounds more like a statement. A generic Apple statement. The kind Apple usually makes. 

Seems the only problem here is AI's misleading headline. 

• Reply 50 of 241
    What bothers me far more than the $329 starting point is the total BS of a 100 up charge to double the storage. That's where the rip off is IMO.
  • Reply 51 of 241
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

Are you sure that average joe knows how to remove the menu bars?

Edit: I misread your comment, sorry. But what I wanted to say is even choosing a browser that can do full-screen or finding out how to do that feature average joe may not know. I thought Phil had done it right. Although choosing that website with the huge title was intentional.

Yeah, that's why I qualified what I said.  It's not out and out wrong or misleading, but it still came across as slightly stinky to me.  

The difference was almost entirely down to the browser chrome, and I thought he spent too long on it as it's really a minor point.  

I just wish Apple was a bit more honest.  

I miss the brutal honesty of Steve Jobs (although I'm not trying to imply that he wasn't above this kind of fudging either).  

• Reply 52 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Exactly how many has Amazon sold?

Just remember to NOT ask Amazon.

• Reply 53 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

You are assuming that the user-experience on the mini will be identical to what it is on the iPad...

perhaps very generally it may be,

but the experience on the iPhone and the iPad are markedly different,

so I'm not sure how you can presume to know what it will be on the mini...

did you receive a review mini that you've been using for a while?

Bad analogy. The iPhone and iPad have different UI's, in terms of both controls and principles. One would expect that the iPhone and iPad would have markedly different user experiences, even ignoring the size differences. However, the iPad Mini is designed to run iPad apps natively, so one would expect at the least for the experiences to be similar.

• Reply 54 of 241
    Price isn't much of a problem... as a laptop user I wanted something more portable than standard iPad but I didn't want to deal with Android. The iPad mini is exactly what I wanted. I'm a little miffed about the $100 for the first additional 16gb of storage. That's getting a little ridiculous but meh... I'm not about to jump to Android over that. I don't care that it doesn't have retina. Frankly, I want a go anywhere, just-works device for reading and browsing. For high-photo editing from my 20 mpx SLR, I've got a 24" monitor so I wasn't going to use an iPad for that anyway. I know for a fact that we're getting at least two of these this holiday season.... just hope availability isn't too much of a problem.
  • Reply 55 of 241

Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Because some people don't understand math...

A 7.9" iPad with a 4:3 aspect ratio has 40% more screen space than a 7" 16:9 Android tablet.

We are measuring AREA. Diagonal length is deceptive.

Who is being deceptive to customers?

Uh… Android tablets? Are you saying the iPad mini should cost 40% more than Android tablets, and because it doesn't, it's far cheaper and a better deal?

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Yeah he really should come to AI to get some help running company.

Well, they listened to us at least once in the recent past. xMac and giant, pointless television, here we come!

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Yes, for a device that is mostly used for reading - stupid people will think that is is a good idea to trade a smaller, less expensive, sharper resolution screen device (nexus 7) for a more expensive, larger, lower resolution screen.

Yes, for a device that is mostly used for reading, having a 16:9 screen was a really good idea. If I need a sarcasm tag, you've failed at sarcasm.

Notice that the iPad isn't for reading. It's for tableting. 

Now, it is half baked nonsense held up by marketing stupidity for the 40% of high school students and the population that because everything that they have ever owned someone else made - and everything that has ever inspired them someone else imagined - try so hard to buy some self respect.

Yes, iOS is the dumbing down of Apple.

Oh, I'm seeing some half-baked nonsense, stupidity, and dumbing down, all right. Just not sure it's coming from Apple.

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The iPhone and iPad have different UI's, in terms of both controls and principles.

So you wouldn't say the iPad and iPad mini have different UI, in terms of both control and principles?

• Reply 56 of 241
    I'd buy it if it were $429. Defend that!
  • Reply 57 of 241
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Some of the "price awkwardness" of the iPad mini is no doubt caused by the iPod touch starting at $299.

I think it would be unacceptable for the iPad mini to be priced less than the iPod touch.  Even the 16 GB model.

It would be illogical, and it would make the iPod touch feel drastically overpriced.  (Some say it actually *is*.)

Eventually, Apple could drop the price of the iPod touch, which would enable them to drop the iPad mini price.

The timing, if it ever happens, will depend on manufacturing costs, component costs, consumer demand,

and many other Numbers spreadsheet variables.

And, of course, there's always the possibility that Apple could keep the 2012 iPad mini in the lineup, in a

single 16GB configuration at $229 - $279, after the 2013 iPad mini has shipped.  That way, Apple wouldn't

need to drop either the 2013 iPod touch or iPad mini prices.

• Reply 58 of 241
    If there was no competition, it would have been ok.
    But compared to other devices out there (same category - 7" tablet) - its WAY too expensive. The screen is low-res, the specs are 2 years old (almost) and it costs 40% more than KindleFireHD or Nexus 7. I know the eco-system is better and the OS is great, but seriously, is that worth paying more for getting worse specs?
  • Reply 59 of 241
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

What bothers me far more than the $329 starting point is the total BS of a 100 up charge to double the storage. That's where the rip off is IMO.

This is how Apple keep high margins on idevices, people buying the 32 and 64g versions are the ones paying the premium and allowing the 16g version to sell at a lower price. this is also why Apple doesnt put micro-sd on its devices.

• Reply 60 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple is getting too defensive. Just do it and stfu.

I agree.