Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 121 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not at all. The Mini is a 4:3 tablet, those other shoddy Android tablets are 16:9. That makes a huge difference. 

like comparing the iphone 4 and iphone 5?

• Reply 122 of 241
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The funny thing is that if I were a BMW salesmen, and you came in whining about why you should pay $40K for a BMW when you can go down the road and buy a Mustang for $30K, I'd say "Have a nice trip".

This is what I don't understand about the arrogant jerks that are on this thread.  They are doing the exact same thing.  I'd love to live in Beverly Hills, have a Lamborghini and a MV Agusta and a super yacht, but I can't afford any of that.  I accept it and move on.  I don't go around infesting everything like these a$$hats do and screaming "I can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  I mean really!! WTF??

I agree. As if Apple is going to lower their prices because of a few poor people and bums whining on a forum? image

If somebody thinks that the price is too high, then go buy something else! And hopefully these people will go and join an Android forum in the future, where they are less likely to whine about prices.

• Reply 123 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

like comparing the iphone 4 and iphone 5?

The iPhone 4 and 4S are 3:2. 

• Reply 124 of 241
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,099member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You'd be surprised at the things rich people penny pinch on.

You know, I totally agree with you.  I work with some very, very wealthy clients and it just boggles the mind at how they brag about the airplane they bought, or the 6-figure Mercedes they are driving, yet refuse to spend any money to replace an aging printer or computer that a worker desperately needs to get their job done and be productive.

I think being frugal is great.  Wasting money is always not a good thing.  Honestly though, rich people definitely do qualify as the worst of "cheapskates". 

• Reply 125 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Exhibit A.

No, A+

• Reply 126 of 241

Quote:

I agree. As if Apple is going to lower their prices because of a few poor people and bums whining on a forum? image

If somebody thinks that the price is too high, then go buy something else! And hopefully these people will go and join an Android forum in the future, where they are less likely to whine about prices.

What's even funnier is that those people on Android sites/blogs constantly complain at things like build-quality, customer service, etc. with their cheap Android devices and accept it as the price of buying cheap junk, yet they complain, b!tch, etc. about Apple pricing their products a little higher.

There's a reason why Apple not only is profitable, but their products have the highest rating, and offer the best-in-class customer service.

As for Android devices, you get what you pay for.  The embarrassing manufacturers churning out sheer junk just thumb their noses at them, give them a "sucks-to-be-you" attitude knowing they just come out with more cheap crap because the fandroids will always wet their pants at the next spec'ed-out piece of trash.

Who's the sheep now?

• Reply 127 of 241
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

This is what I don't understand about the arrogant jerks that are on this thread.  They are doing the exact same thing.  I'd love to live in Beverly Hills, have a Lamborghini and a MV Agusta and a super yacht, but I can't afford any of that.  I accept it and move on.  I don't go around infesting everything like these a$$hats do and screaming "I can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  I mean really!! WTF??

You're being presumptuous.  Just because someone doesn't like the price doesn't mean they suddenly "can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  Some of us are shareholders who think the psychological benefit of going $299 instead of $329 would have led to great sales both long and short-term across most product lines.  Now, some defending the price might be shareholders that have noticed a decline in margins since the invent of the iPad and are wanting those %s to remain high.  But just to assume everyone on here either wants it or doesn't want it, or can and cant afford it is being presumptuous.  This is AppleInsider (which was originally intended for stockholders).

• Reply 128 of 241

Quote:

Nonsense.  Technology absolutely has inherent value if it simplifies and enhances peoples lives.  That's the part you guys "conveniently" fail to take into consideration.  For you... it's all about getting some piece at rock bottom prices, do your 15 minutes on it, waste your time configuring it, rooting it, removing malware, etc.

For Apple's products, they work, they work well, and they allow people who value their time and life to get the job done and move on.  Try doing that on a regular PC, or better yet... try being that productive on a cheap-trash Android device.  You very well know that.

I lost track of how many people hated.. absolutely hated their Android device.  Sure it's cheap but guess what.  The time and frustration has value.  What's laughable is that (especially Android tablets) when one breaks (constantly) the moment you buy a replacement (and factor in headaches) you already exceeded the price of having one iPad and being happy with it.

For lots of people, iOS is perfect for them.  That's no insult.  It speaks leaps and bounds of how Apple got it right for the majority of consumers.  Android is all about false marketing and the (insulting) theory that what's good for techies obviously must be good for everyone else.

Keep Android devices dirt cheap.  It will simply continue its demise.

Again, the value was not there until the individual interacted with it - We all operate within our abilities, if an individual can arrive at the same results without the "time cost" you indicate from whatever OS or equipment - that cost is irrelevant because it is not present in their use of the technology.

What "simplifies and enhances peoples lives"  is not a solid phenomenon - it will very from one person to the next - so by your own statement any tablet with any OS has the ability to do that same result regardless of sticker price. The value arrives from the use not cost.

• Reply 129 of 241
    In the end the market will speak to whether this is too high a price. My gut feeling is that this price point is wrong. The reason the original iPad was successful was that it was competitively priced. This feels like Apple attempting to return to it's old ways of trying to gauge huge margins. Should have been priced at $249.
  • Reply 130 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by juandl View Post

In the long run, Google and Amazon still have a leg up on Apple due to the fact that they can almost give away their tablet and still make some money in the long run.

That will always be the case until Apple does something a little different.

They tried with the iAd thing to somewhat compete with Google with the Ad money. That did not work.

Hmmm.  Good point!  Maybe they should put something in place to rake in some recurring revenue after the hardware sale.  What if they created an online store that sells music?  Maybe you could also add movies and TV shows.  If they wanted to get really crazy they could create an online bookstore or even a greeting card store.  Think about the possibilities...

• Reply 131 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

This is AppleInsider (which was originally intended for stockholders).

And any stockholder should know that Apple should not join in the race to the bottom. Apple is doing mighty fine just as they are.

If the other companies could sell their tablets for a higher cost, then they would. Many have tried and they all failed. Do you not remember what the prices of the first "iPad Killers" were priced at, before they were forced to liquidate at fire sale prices? 

• Reply 132 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

In the end the market will speak to whether this is too high a price. My gut feeling is that this price point is wrong. The reason the original iPad was successful was that it was competitively priced. This feels like Apple attempting to return to it's old ways of trying to gauge huge margins. Should have been priced at $249.

It'll be interesting to see what people will call successful.

Will it be 5 million units sold in the holiday quarter? 10 million? 20 million?

5 million would be successful to me but I'm betting on 7 million iPMs and 17 million iPv4s in the holiday quarter.

• Reply 133 of 241
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really. Or are they overcharging for the iPad, too? 

Yep. According to sources, BOM has been steadily going down year-over-year, but prices have remained constant. Especially the "upgrade" prices that charge $100 for 8GB of Flash RAM. Or $130 more just to add a cellular radio.

• Reply 134 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by juandl View Post

In the long run, Google and Amazon still have a leg up on Apple due to the fact that they can almost give away their tablet and still make some money in the long run.

That will always be the case until Apple does something a little different.

I didn't know that Apple was hurting...

• Reply 135 of 241

Quote:

What's even funnier is that those people on Android sites/blogs constantly complain at things like build-quality, customer service, etc. with their cheap Android devices and accept it as the price of buying cheap junk, yet they complain, b!tch, etc. about Apple pricing their products a little higher.

There's a reason why Apple not only is profitable, but their products have the highest rating, and offer the best-in-class customer service.

As for Android devices, you get what you pay for.  The embarrassing manufacturers churning out sheer junk just thumb their noses at them, give them a "sucks-to-be-you" attitude knowing they just come out with more cheap crap because the fandroids will always wet their pants at the next spec'ed-out piece of trash.

Who's the sheep now?

If Apple were to implement some of the ideas and price suggestions made in this thread, and if Apple were run by these "financial geniuses", Apple would be run into the ground in a couple of years and Apple would be no different than a Nokia or a RIM.

• Reply 136 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You're being presumptuous.  Just because someone doesn't like the price doesn't mean they suddenly "can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  Some of us are shareholders who think the psychological benefit of going $299 instead of $329 would have led to great sales both long and short-term across most product lines.  Now, some defending the price might be shareholders that have noticed a decline in margins since the invent of the iPad and are wanting those %s to remain high.  But just to assume everyone on here either wants it or doesn't want it, or can and cant afford it is being presumptuous.  This is AppleInsider (which was originally intended for stockholders).

Keep sipping whatever Koolaid you're drinking buddy.  I'm not even remotely being presumptuous.  I'm being realistic.

What you guys are doing is exactly the same thing physically walking into an exotic-car dealership and yelling that their car is too expensive for the joe-consumer.  Get real.

Apple is not going to build cheap junk to satisfy the desires of people that frankly, would never buy an Apple product anyways or for the poor-souls that unfortunately don't have the kind of disposable income to justify buying a premium product.  That's the reality.

The ONLY way your argument will hold any water is for someone to come out with an Android tablet with the exact same specs, unibody, glass, fit/finish and price it EXACTLY the same as the iPad.

Apple's iPad is priced perfectly for what one gets.  Heck, why doesn't Apple sell it for $1???

I'm saying this as an AAPL owner too.  I'm glad Apple is staying out of the floor-scraping arena.  They are doing just fine stealing customers from the same pool.  I'll simply point to Apple's cash hoard, R&D, innovation, service, and high stock price to prove my point they are doing something right.

• Reply 137 of 241

Quote:

And any stockholder should know that Apple should not join in the race to the bottom. Apple is doing mighty fine just as they are.

I don't disagree with that at all.  But a $299 tag wouldn't have been considered a "race to the bottom" in my eyes.  $199 or $249 would have.  $299- at least to me- due to it being sub-$300 would have had more people purchase it in the long run.  It is what it is, no use complaining for the sake of complaining- I'm just offering my opinion as I see it, which means nothing in the scheme of things. Either way- you're right- Apple is doing fine.

• Reply 138 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

to talented to waste my life as a lawyer. 

'to' talented 'too' spell?

• Reply 139 of 241

To: those that don't think that the iPad Mini will compete well in this category

1) Stop calling it a category.  There is no category (yet).  Apple is leading in the establishment of this "category"...so stop making definitive comparisons to a (7") category.

2) Apple will sell every damn iPad Mini it is able to manufacture (at the currently offered prices).

3) Even if iPad Mini price points were raised by $20, they'd still sell every damn one of them.

4) Apple does NOT intend to, nor does it need or want to, own 100% of any market (smartphones, tablets, desktops, etc.).  Stop basing your arguments or wishlists based on that premise.

5) The only argument that I think is a valid one, is that it will be a challenge to market the iPad Mini effectively at this price point...$299 would've given considerable marketing advantage...nevertheless, please see point #2 above.

• Reply 140 of 241

Quote:

Keep sipping whatever Koolaid you're drinking buddy.  I'm not even remotely being presumptuous.  I'm being realistic.

What you guys are doing is exactly the same thing physically walking into an exotic-car dealership and yelling that their car is too expensive for the joe-consumer.  Get real.

Apple is not going to build cheap junk to satisfy the desires of people that frankly, would never buy an Apple product anyways or for the poor-souls that unfortunately don't have the kind of disposable income to justify buying a premium product.  That's the reality.

The ONLY way your argument will hold any water is for someone to come out with an Android tablet with the exact same specs, unibody, glass, fit/finish and price it EXACTLY the same as the iPad.

Apple's iPad is priced perfectly for what one gets.  Heck, why doesn't Apple sell it for $1???

I'm saying this as an AAPL owner too.  I'm glad Apple is staying out of the floor-scraping arena.  They are doing just fine stealing customers from the same pool.  I'll simply point to Apple's cash hoard, R&D, innovation, service, and high stock price to prove my point they are doing something right.

You aren't just presumptuous- your pompous.  A premium product the "poor souls" can't afford?  It's $329- that's nothing if someone wants it.  $299 isn't "floor-scraping arena".  To claim that it's $329 and they couldn't do $299 just because of the quality and cost of parts is idiotic... now who's sipping the Koolaid?