Apple exec Phil Schiller defends $329 entry price of iPad mini

Comments

• Reply 101 of 241
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Are you poor?  I've never met a rich person who brags about affording a $329 product.

I'm not poor, I wouldn't call myself rich either, but I do know one thing, even if I was poor, I wouldn't be whining about not being able to afford a $329 gadget.

• Reply 102 of 241

I realize that with each generation, we expect more from our technology at increasingly lower price points. I get that. Agree with it. Benefit from it.

But, at 42, I also remember the introduction of the VHS cassette player, which had one function that it performed poorly, and was priced over $350.

The iPad mini performs that same function, better, times 250,000.

I know it's not central to the arguments presented here, or by Phil, but it keeps me from whining. The tech is amazing. What it allows for me and my children  - especially my son with autism - is amazing. MORE amazing than something larger? Produced by another manufacturer? Whatever. It's amazing. $350 is cheap.

• Reply 103 of 241
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by studentx View Post

"Why does he have to defend it? It's an Apple product. They know how to price them properly."

Because some people don't understand math...

A 7.9" iPad with a 4:3 aspect ratio has 40% more screen space than a 7" 16:9 Android tablet.

We are measuring AREA. Diagonal length is deceptive.

Who is being deceptive to customers?

Yes, 40% more screen space means 40% "more area" to carry as well.  The main reason to buy a smaller ipad is for portability.  If screen space is more important, buy a regular ipad.

• Reply 104 of 241
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

If the current 16GB A5 iPad was dropped to $229 and there was an 8GB version of the new iPod Touch at $199, an iPad Mini with a retina display, an A6 processor and 32GB of flash at $329 will seem like the right price. The only question is when will this upgrade take place?

So you want Apple to dump the mini at cost like the other desperate android tablets?  Why would they do that?

• Reply 105 of 241
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,206member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not if somebody is looking for a more portable and much lighter tablet. It all depends on the usage.

No, really?

• Reply 106 of 241
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuture View Post

"A 7.9" iPad with a 4:3 aspect ratio has 40% more screen space than a 7" 16:9 Android tablet."

In terms of resolution Nexus 7 (1280 x 800) has 30% space versus iPad Mini (1024 x 768)

WoW, android geek at  his best.  "hey, we see less but the resolution is better..."  for crying out loud how dumb can you get.

• Reply 107 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

But, at 42, I also remember the introduction of the VHS cassette player, which had one function that it performed poorly, and was priced over $350.

Adjusted for inflation, the first VHS decks were around $4,600.

If the whiners here were around at that time, they probably would have had heart attacks. I think that many of the whiners are very young and ignorant people who have no concept about money.

• Reply 108 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

What kind of hammers are we talking here?  Chipping hammers, framing hammers, jackhammers, or neurological hammers?

Bravo! good point... a regular horse head home hammer was the picture in my mind.

• Reply 109 of 241
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,099member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

yes, as idiotic as buying a 200 dollar hammer because it is made of brushed aluminum - never mind that technology has no inherent value but the one given by its use.

you should use iOS products, they are made and marketed to you.

Nonsense.  Technology absolutely has inherent value if it simplifies and enhances peoples lives.  That's the part you guys "conveniently" fail to take into consideration.  For you... it's all about getting some piece at rock bottom prices, do your 15 minutes on it, waste your time configuring it, rooting it, removing malware, etc.

For Apple's products, they work, they work well, and they allow people who value their time and life to get the job done and move on.  Try doing that on a regular PC, or better yet... try being that productive on a cheap-trash Android device.  You very well know that.

I lost track of how many people hated.. absolutely hated their Android device.  Sure it's cheap but guess what.  The time and frustration has value.  What's laughable is that (especially Android tablets) when one breaks (constantly) the moment you buy a replacement (and factor in headaches) you already exceeded the price of having one iPad and being happy with it.

For lots of people, iOS is perfect for them.  That's no insult.  It speaks leaps and bounds of how Apple got it right for the majority of consumers.  Android is all about false marketing and the (insulting) theory that what's good for techies obviously must be good for everyone else.

Keep Android devices dirt cheap.  It will simply continue its demise.

• Reply 110 of 241
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    When the original iPad was released, the market was stunned by its highly aggressive price point. Prior to its introduction, watchers were afraid it might be over a thousand dollars. Then we thought Apple would shave their margins and manage to hit $800. But when Steve showed us a starting price point of $499, our jaws dropped. Executives at competing companies fainted outright.

This was not that day.

Read: The Bean Counters Are Back In Charge At Apple
    http://www.isights.org/2012/10/the-bean-counters-are-back-at-apple.html
  • Reply 111 of 241
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"The sad part is that Apple could well have eaten the extra $30 in exchange for a larger marketshare. They did not."

I'm not so sure. If they expect this to be a monster item on their earnings sheet that approx. 10% hit against margin might have been deemed too much of a bite. But the $299 benchmark was always (as I understand it) with 8GB, not 16.... so what they did was not, IMHO, offer a useless paperweight solely to meet a price point.

• Reply 112 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Exhibit A.

Quote:

Are you a Samsung lawyer? image

Nah... if he were a Samsung lawyer, he'd confuse the Nexus with the Mini when asked by the judge.

• Reply 113 of 241
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Are you poor?  I've never met a rich person who brags about affording a $329 product.

You'd be surprised at the things rich people penny pinch on.
  • Reply 114 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

exactly, or considering a piece of mass produced electronics made in china as a possession with any real value regardless of cost. 

at a basic level of success you would understand this is not an example of wealth in any gathering. 

• Reply 115 of 241

• Reply 116 of 241

Originally Posted by nuture View Post

"A 7.9" iPad with a 4:3 aspect ratio has 40% more screen space than a 7" 16:9 Android tablet."

In terms of resolution Nexus 7 (1280 x 800) has 30% space versus iPad Mini (1024 x 768)

I agree with what has already been said about this post. You just don't get visible space.

And you must really care about the account you've set up here, given the e-mail service you used. image

• Reply 117 of 241
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

This'll probably be my last post in this thread

Well.. that lasted 14 minutes....

• Reply 118 of 241

Quote:

This'll probably be my last post in this thread, as I don't really see any point in discussing things with cheapskates, whiners and people who obviously don't understand Apple. 

The bottom line is that Apple is going to sell a ton of these iPad Mini's, and that's all that counts at the end of the day. The many tens of millions of customers that buy them will be extremely satisfied with their purchase, and everybody will be happy  when all is said and done, except for the whiners of course, but who gives a shit about them?

And just to add one last thing, do these people have no self-respect?

If I wanted a new car, and I had my eyes set on a certain BMW (or insert your car of choice here) model, I certainly wouldn't go into a BMW forum and whine about how I couldn't afford a BMW and how I thought that the BMW model which I wanted was too expensive. And to be whining about a dirt cheap $329 product? I'd be embarrassed to even whine about that.

The funny thing is that if I were a BMW salesmen, and you came in whining about why you should pay $40K for a BMW when you can go down the road and buy a Mustang for $30K, I'd say "Have a nice trip".

This is what I don't understand about the arrogant jerks that are on this thread.  They are doing the exact same thing.  I'd love to live in Beverly Hills, have a Lamborghini and a MV Agusta and a super yacht, but I can't afford any of that.  I accept it and move on.  I don't go around infesting everything like these a$$hats do and screaming "I can't afford it!  It should be cheaper so I too can buy it!!".  I mean really!! WTF??

• Reply 119 of 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Well.. that lasted 14 minutes....

I did write probably. image

• Reply 120 of 241
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    In the long run, Google and Amazon still have a leg up on Apple due to the fact that they can almost give away their tablet and still make some money in the long run.
    That will always be the case until Apple does something a little different.
    They tried with the iAd thing to somewhat compete with Google with the Ad money. That did not work.
    They really have no solution in place yet to compete with Amazon, YET.
    With time, that will continue to wash away profits. (Pricewise, all hardware continues to come down). That, or eventually the Tablet products that GooMazon produce will get better and better. If nothing changes, Apple will eventually loose out profitwise. Simple economics.
    But there is a solution.
    Walmart , and a lot of other retailers know whats gonna happen with Amazon beating them with the online presence they now have, and that will only get stronger.
    Google also can continue making money until something different happens.

Apple should talk with the Walmarts with this approach: Subsidize the iPad. Make arrangements with ceratin customers that are willing to come on board with an experimental arrangement. Make arrangements with Apple for a contract that will reduce the price a certain %. Apple will make a small % also. They will both have to work out a 'Special' opportunity for Free two day delivery (ala Amazon Prime).
    I am sure they can make arrangements for all the fine details.
    Basically it would be Walmart who would come out ahead. But at the same time Apple starts putting in place something that will start to come together (in time) to what those other guys are doing now to undercut the profits that are necesarry now and later.

My 1 cent worth