Microsoft exec promotes value of Windows 8 PCs, calls iPad mini a $329 'recreational tablet'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 209
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...seems to me SurfaceRT is just an iPad that includes Office lite and USB, but unlike the iPad has a dearth of quality apps. And it seems to me Microsoft is just fine having the general public think SurfaceRT is just like Windows 8. But we'll see how long that lasts if people start returning the device in numbers.
    What I find odd is the 3 month gap between RT and Pro. If people have a less than pleasant experience with RT won't that sour them on wanting a pro? Or will the people who want a Pro just hold out until next year?

1) From what I can tell even LogMeIn won't work on the Surface RT but it does appear to have Remote Desktop (client mode only) so that is something.

2) If anyone can afford to wait it's MS but even that has its limits. I think their window of opportunity is closing fast. Windows 8 has to be a hit or we'll just see an increase in the constant chipping away at their marketshare, which affects every part of their business. Personally, I think they've royally screwed themselves by not knowing what not to exclude from their products which has made it all very, very confusing.

3) Do you think tomorrow we'll be getting info about the first weekend sales of Windows 8 and/or Surface RT?
  • Reply 182 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

If it were anybody but Microsoft, you think NBC would have covered up for them like that?

Of course they would have. They would have looked like shits if they didn't.

The real question if they would have had to. 

• Reply 183 of 209
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) From what I can tell even LogMeIn won't work on the Surface RT but it does appear to have Remote Desktop (client mode only) so that is something.
    2) If anyone can afford to wait it's MS but even that has its limits. I think their window of opportunity is closing fast. Windows 8 has to be a hit or we'll just see an increase in the constant chipping away at their marketshare, which affects every part of their business. Personally, I think they've royally screwed themselves by not knowing what not to exclude from their products which has made it all very, very confusing.
    3) Do you think tomorrow we'll be getting info about the first weekend sales of Windows 8 and/or Surface RT?
    We never got sales info about the pr-orders so my guess is they're going to take the Amazon/Google route and not release numbers. The only company that Wall Street seems to care about sales figures for is Apple.
  • Reply 184 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

That's because no one has bought the device. And you DON't have to do that on the iPad...

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Actually you do. If you haven't used said app recently. If you have then it's likely in your task bar so it's a quicker switch. 

• Reply 185 of 209
    What better evidence that MS has no clue how to grow a company and prosper. They're apparently not interested in the "recreational" market. Which happens to be where all the growth is these days.

It's not quite time to add MS to the large heap of American companies that have already failed or are well on their way to failure. The more I look at tech in the commercial arena, the more I see non US products where the USA used to rule. Medical being the most pronounced.

• Reply 186 of 209
    charlituna wrote: »
    igriv wrote: »
    That's because no one has bought the device. And you DON't have to do that on the iPad...

Actually you do. If you haven't used said app recently. If you have then it's likely in your task bar so it's a quicker switch. 

What does a Surface RT do under the same conditions?... If you haven't used the app recently and it's not in your task bar.

On the iPad it's fine if you only have a few apps running -- it is very easy to get between them by a four finger swipe. If you have lots of apps in your taskbar it is easier to do a four finger Up swipe and then rapidly flip through the taskbar, 7 apps per flip, to the desired app.

With the four finger gestures, including the four finger pinch to get to the home screen -- I find that I rarely have to use the Home button on the iPad.
  • Reply 187 of 209
    Way to go Ballmer. Guess you'll have to keep c|net, Engadget, ZDNet, TechRadar etc. on your payroll for a little while longer. :lol:

Poll: Scant demand for Microsoft's Windows
  • Reply 188 of 209
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Way to go Ballmer. Guess you'll have to keep c|net, Engadget, ZDNet, TechRadar etc. on your payroll for a little while longer. image

Poll: Scant demand for Microsoft's Windows

Not too surprising, though what's worse for MS is that the IT departments are not too interested.

• Reply 189 of 209
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What does a Surface RT do under the same conditions?... If you haven't used the app recently and it's not in your task bar.

On the iPad it's fine if you only have a few apps running -- it is very easy to get between them by a four finger swipe. If you have lots of apps in your taskbar it is easier to do a four finger Up swipe and then rapidly flip through the taskbar, 7 apps per flip, to the desired app.

With the four finger gestures, including the four finger pinch to get to the home screen -- I find that I rarely have to use the Home button on the iPad.

Yes, that's exactly right. I haven't use the home button hardly at all.

• Reply 190 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Tell that to all the companies that use iPads exclusively for business.  That includes mine.  Just about every executive has an iPad hooked up to Exchange and creating documents etc.

I hope they're not creating docs on iPads ... else your company is going down the drain soon ... 

• Reply 191 of 209

Originally Posted by kheba View Post

I hope they're not creating docs on iPads...

Maybe try so much as looking at an iPad before saying things about it, hmm?

• Reply 192 of 209
    So the pro Microsoft media claims the surface has a better fit and finish than Apple's products. Um, sorry, I don't think you'd ever see this many visible screws on an Apple product. Plus I see plenty of visible seams. It might be better than the rest of the non-Applr hardware out there but that's a pretty low bar. :lol:

dsc03375-1350896293.jpg
  • Reply 193 of 209

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Um, sorry, I don't think you'd ever see this many visible screws on an Apple product.

Different colors = different screw types.

• Reply 194 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I could go on an on but the bottom line is they "Homer Car"-ed this without making a great tablet, mobile OS, or a great desktop OS.

Winner winner chicken dinner...

• Reply 195 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's just screwed up.

• Reply 196 of 209
    LL

Well I guess I screwed up. :lol: Though I still would take apple design over the surface any day of the week. Doesn't look like there's anything adjustable with the kickstand so you're stuck with whatever angle that is whether it's comfortable for you or not. If only Apple was clever enough to think of a mechanical kickstand. :p
  • Reply 197 of 209
    Well I guess I screwed up. :lol: Though I still would take apple design over the surface any day of the week. Doesn't look like there's anything adjustable with the kickstand so you're stuck with whatever angle that is whether it's comfortable for you or not. If only Apple was clever enough to think of a mechanical kickstand. :p

I am sure there will be a huge marked for "kickstand angle adjusting devices".;)
  • Reply 198 of 209
    So Sinofsky claims Windows 8 PC's are a better value than Apple and claims you can get one for $279. So I guess then he thinks the SurfaceRT is overpriced? I'd be curious to know exactly what kind of value you get for $279...

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/26/microsofts-steven-sinofsky-windows-8-pcs-are-better-value-than/
  • Reply 199 of 209
    So Sinofsky claims Windows 8 PC's are a better value than Apple and claims you can get one for $279. So I guess then he thinks the SurfaceRT is overpriced? I'd be curious to know exactly what kind of value you get for $279...
    http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/26/microsofts-steven-sinofsky-windows-8-pcs-are-better-value-than/

Look, it's a very simple calculation.

Just count how many tiles per $ you get with windows 8.

OS X or iOS will never be able to compete.
  • Reply 200 of 209
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    I know in my company *20billion not fortune500*, its start going from blackberry to iphone, but now they have stopped iphone implementation due to cost, and are going to a variety of android handsets.

No mac's of course, as we have EDS, an HP  company, supplying us Dells

:V

It sounds like your company is not very smart! Android devices are relatively the same end user cost as iPhones. Especially when you factor in the iPhone 4 for free and 4s at $99. Since Android is prone to malware, and since the upgrade path for the OS is unreliable because its controlled by the carriers, and since the professional grade apps on Android are anemic, this makes absolutely no sense.