Microsoft exec promotes value of Windows 8 PCs, calls iPad mini a $329 'recreational tablet'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 209
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

The Surface is the netbook of tablets. 

MS zuned their one and really only chance in next-gen mobile computing. 

• Reply 142 of 209
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    alandail wrote: »
    why is the 9.7 inch iPad called a 10" tablet while the 7.9" iPad is called a 7" tablet?
    Because calling the mini a 7" tablet fits the meme the media is pushing (i.e Apple released the mini to compete with competitor's 7" tablets). But if the point was to compete with Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, apple would have released a cheaper product (probably plastic) and it would have been 7". What they did though was released a more affordable iPad for those people that want to experience iPad. Everything you can do on the iPad you can do on the iPad mini. Sure it's not the same spec wise, but feature wise it is.

That's why when announcing the mini I wish Apple would've ignore the competition and just marketed it this way. Make it clear that this is not a defensive move to counter Fire and Nexus. Of course the price point of $329 should make that quite clear. But many in the media still don't get it, and probably never will be those Apple operates.

I was hoping they'd be ablet to get down to $299 staring price considering the innards aren't the latest and greatest. But Apple says this product will have significantly lower margins than their other products so the $329 price tag wasn't to maintain high margins. Still I think it's a compelling product because it does everything the iPad does; has all the same features - LTE, FaceTime, Siri, runs all the same apps, etc, yet is thinner and lighter. And has a really elegant design which probably will find its way on the iPad next year.
  • Reply 143 of 209
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'll bet that at least 70% of those folks were sending you 'mickey mouse' presentations before the tablet was an issue, because they are just stupid in such regards. In fact they are probably the reason why that manual exists, the manual they still aren't following.

Hey Comic sans is cool, right?

• Reply 144 of 209
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Apparently Bing is fairly deeply integrated.

Watch for Google to go whining to the authorities as usual, rather than dropping the FRAND based lawsuits they are conducting against Microsoft via their $12.5 Billion, stone around the neck subsidiary, Motorola.

The EU will probably step in to force changes.

• Reply 145 of 209
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Yeah, probably by the same idiot Executive we run into that do not understan the concept of a corporate Implementation manuel - and corporate fonts. 

half my day is spent now rejecting presentations made on mickey mouse tablet apps with random font selection - we at least get a decent laugh when we open them.

everything of value is still produced on a real OS - either OSX or Windows.

That's just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.    It doesn't matter whether you're using a phone app, a Pad app or a computer app.   It doesn't matter what OS you're using or what brand of hardware you're using.    Good design and poor design can result regardless.    Just because I'm using OS X or Windows doesn't mean I'm going to design any better than if I'm using a Pad.    When people use too many fonts in a design or when the design is poor, I call the results "ransom notes".       There's no reason why someone using a tablet would be any worse at design than someone using a PC.   

Maybe you should worry more about improper spelling and grammar.       

Now if you want to talk about efficiency working on a PC/Mac vs. Table or Pad, that's another story.    It's far more efficient using a real keyboard and mouse than using a virtual keyboard.   

• Reply 146 of 209
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Apple didn't actually talk their product down.  Tim was ask his opinion during their earnings call and he just quoted a couple of reviewers. So technically, those weren't his words.

Yes I know this. But when you quote reviews they become your words too. He was talking the product down by quoting the reviews. In my view he should have taken the high road and just refused to comment. Waving it away with a laugh would have been more statesman like, more dignified, and more fitting for the head of such a successful company.

• Reply 147 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Anyone who says they got an iPad or a Surface, or a Nexus purely for productive purposes is insane... or lying.

Talking about me? Okay, just before turning out the lights, I might spend some time doing a crossword puzzle. The rest of the time, when on the iPad, it's business not play. Yes, some of my books read on the iPad are for casual reading, like the tell-all book by Rielle Hunter, John Edwards ex-mistress; written well, but gets one star from the morally outraged, so it must be good, or the original screen play to "Groundhog Day", just for fun. 

So, for many of us, fun and being productive is not different -- it's most often both; there is joy in the struggle. Try it sometime.

• Reply 148 of 209
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I know in my company *20billion not fortune500*, its start going from blackberry to iphone, but now they have stopped iphone implementation due to cost, and are going to a variety of android handsets.

No mac's of course, as we have EDS, an HP  company, supplying us Dells

:V

Obviously your company has nothing of value on their android handsets.    If they have, google's spyware OS will have a field day!

• Reply 149 of 209
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    The Surface is the netbook of tablets. 

MS zuned their one and really only chance in next-gen mobile computing. 

Linguists take note!

"Zune" used as a verb!
  • Reply 150 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I find it amusing that the company that made a tablet to match wide-screen TV ratio, thinks the iPad is an "recreational device."

16:9 is worse for just about anything except watching video. It is also ridiculous for a tablet meant to be used in Portrait mode. Surface is pretty much a landscape tablet.

Really Surface is barely a tablet at all, it is more a netbook with a crappy removable keyboard.

• Reply 151 of 209

For those who are interested, officially MS Office for RT (a 'Home and School' version) will be the same as the real MS Office 2013; except for some minor differences:

1. http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57513129-75/microsoft-plans-to-deliver-office-2013-rt-starting-in-november/

… and apparently it will include the much-beloved ribbon:

2. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/office-home-student-rt-preview-FX103210361.aspx

… and the Surface is easy to learn and almost intuitive, and runs everything you might want:

3.  http://www.zdnet.com/three-days-in-the-life-of-a-once-and-former-microsoft-surface-rt-user-7000006421/

Cheers

• Reply 152 of 209
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,668member
    M$ can call the iPad a recreational tablet. That's what 90% of the market needs and is fine for most. Eventually, the only people running PCs with windows will be offices (maybe) and researchers. In other words, tablets for mainstream computing and PCs for "work".

There's more money in the former.
  • Reply 153 of 209
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,206member

Quote:

Originally Posted by grobelaar View Post

The problem with MS 'we make things for work rhetoric' is most of the market, certainly the consumer market use their computers for recreation.

MS is currently alluding to the fact that Office is going to be available for Surface--and will perhaps never be available for iOS--and businesses tend to justify purchases based on business utility--such as the ability to run Office--not on whether a device can for example access iTunes. The impact of Office will not be known until Office is actually available--which is why the 'make things for work' argument hasn't really caught on yet--but it does stand a good chance of being highly significant for Surface.

• Reply 154 of 209
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Yeah, probably by the same idiot Executive we run into that do not understan the concept of a corporate Implementation manuel - and corporate fonts. 

half my day is spent now rejecting presentations made on mickey mouse tablet apps with random font selection - we at least get a decent laugh when we open them.

everything of value is still produced on a real OS - either OSX or Windows.

That bad eh?  They seem to just fine at our place.  When I say "exclusively" they have Apple laptops that they leave at their desks and carry their iPads to meetings.  So they most likely create the content on their laptops and display them on their iPads.

• Reply 155 of 209
    The iPad for recreation, great that's what I got it for.
    No way I want to be tied down to a desk and a KB Windows computer, when I'm on my own time.
  • Reply 156 of 209
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A lot of people are apparently dummies who lack basic math skills. 7.9 = 7? 

Apple doesn't make any 7" tablets, they must be referring to all of the crappy Android tablets out there.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Maybe Apple's marketing department should have advised Tim to make an 8.0 mini?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 157 of 209
    The iPad for recreation, great that's what I got it for.
    No way I want to be tied down to a desk and a KB Windows computer, when I'm on my own time.
  • Reply 158 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

MS is currently alluding to the fact that Office is going to be available for Surface--and will perhaps never be available for iOS--and businesses tend to justify purchases based on business utility--such as the ability to run Office--not on whether a device can for example access iTunes. The impact of Office will not be known until Office is actually available--which is why the 'make things for work' argument hasn't really caught on yet--but it does stand a good chance of being highly significant for Surface.

The only slight problem is that Office is, and always has been, designed for computers, not tablets, which is what forced MS to compromise (in tcook's words) the design of the Surface,making it a not great PC and a not great tablet, so DOA.

• Reply 159 of 209

That's what we got our iPad for,   our own personal recreational use.

• Reply 160 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

For those who are interested, officially MS Office for RT (a 'Home and School' version) will be the same as the real MS Office 2013; except for some minor differences:

1. http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57513129-75/microsoft-plans-to-deliver-office-2013-rt-starting-in-november/

… and apparently it will include the much-beloved ribbon:

2. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/office-home-student-rt-preview-FX103210361.aspx

… and the Surface is easy to learn and almost intuitive, and runs everything you might want:

3.  http://www.zdnet.com/three-days-in-the-life-of-a-once-and-former-microsoft-surface-rt-user-7000006421/

Cheers

Not at all surprising, but very sad.