Apple execs Scott Forstall and John Browett to leave company [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 233

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Design. Compare the beauty of safari and mail, iWork, even iPhoto, with reminders and notes.

Ah, I get you. I agree, at least partially. Reminders is fine, in my book. Tone down the texture a little. But it's intended to be like one of those old ring-bound flip up notepads, and it does that pretty well.

• Reply 42 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennytheball View Post

Entirely speculative, but I wonder if Forstall wanted to do something on his own?

Possible, but I doubt it.  I think anywhere he goes will be a demotion.

• Reply 43 of 233
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On skeuomorphism, it has a place, period. Yellow leather is garish, I agree, but do you people REALLY want Windows 8-style minimalism in your applications? I don't care if the answer is yes; the answer's no. I think Jony will still do skeuomorphism, but beautifully, simplistically, incorporating raw "materials" and a contrast between them.

Win comment, and my signature now.

• Reply 44 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Google around. Forstall is known for being a corporate infighter and a total a**hole.

That's all speculative at best.

• Reply 45 of 233

Maybe Scott will come back and start Apple 3.0 one day...

He looks like a maniac, and Apple is too big now for someone like him (maybe). Let him create his own NEXT.

• Reply 46 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

A lot of people will be happy to see Browett go. But Forstall? That's unexpected. I wonder if he was liked by Steve but not so much the other execs.

This, too, crossed my mind. However, you need to screw up to get dropped from an SVP position. Having the rest of the leadership team not like you will stall your career, but that alone won't necessarily force you out, unless Tim Cook is that hard core.

• Reply 47 of 233
    YES!!! Forstall is gone. I think he's been holding back iOS for far too long.
  • Reply 48 of 233
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member

Who now is heading hardware development?    Dan Riccio still?  

Scott did a tremendous job for Apple and the iPhone.  We should thank him and wish him a lot of future success  (hopefully, not at Apple's expense).  Thank you Scott 

• Reply 49 of 233

He looks like a maniac, and Apple is too big now for someone like him (maybe). Let him create his own NEXT.

That's an interesting take. Or, hey, maybe he'll just make his own tech-based company that doesn't compete with Apple. We need some more effing innovation up there. Apple can't do it all, they don't want to do it all, and because nowhere else apparently has that spark, a lot of tech stagnates.

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

YES!!! Forstall is gone. I think he's been holding back iOS for far too long.

Which you know, because you know his exact position on everything in iOS and what he specifically intends or does not intend for it.

• Reply 50 of 233

Quote:

Ah, I get you. I agree, at least partially. Reminders is fine, in my book. Tone down the texture a little. But it's intended to be like one of those old ring-bound flip up notepads, and it does that pretty well.

They are all beautiful programs.. HOWEVER, the keyword here is coherence. Together, those app designs do not make sense or create a beautiful OS.

• Reply 51 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

From the last profile of Scott Forstall, he is clearly a very ambitious individual who is also willing to play office politics to get his way. Not saying this is a bad thing, but that when you couple that with the rumored desire to be CEO, it is clear that the dynamics between him and Tim Cook cannot be all that great.

I read that Forstall's relationship with Jony Ive was terrible.  The rumor said Ive refused to attend any meeting that Forstall was at.  Seems likely to me that Forstall burned his bridges and Cook made his decision.

• Reply 52 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennytheball View Post

Entirely speculative, but I wonder if Forstall wanted to do something on his own?

You mean like drive a UPS truck delivering iPad minis to Apple customers?

• Reply 53 of 233

Quote:

I think that ship has sailed.

And NeXT wasn't commercially successful until it found a buyer: GIL AMELIO.

• Reply 54 of 233

Browett was not a good fit - at least from my perspective looking in.  It's going to be tough finding someone, from retail, that has any experience or skills running a retailer like Apple in the Apple way.

• Reply 55 of 233
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Good news. Maybe Apple will finally update iOS look and move away from crazy skeumorphism.

• Reply 56 of 233
    At their ages, boy could simply retire and live comfortably on their multi-millions, travel, do volunteer work, help others in so many ways...but I am sure both will only want to make ore money.
  • Reply 57 of 233

Quote:

And come on, this has nothing to do with Maps. If Apple didn't have faith in Maps or thought it had failed, they would have simply switched back. 

On skeuomorphism, it has a place, period. Yellow leather is garish, I agree, but do you people REALLY want Windows 8-style minimalism in your applications? I don't care if the answer is yes; the answer's no. I think Jony will still do skeuomorphism, but beautifully, simplistically, incorporating raw "materials" and a contrast between them.

"What, you mean like the brushed metal UI in Panther/Tiger?"

We must never speak of that again. image

"At least it wasn't pinstripes…"

Well, there's that.

No disrespect to Ive, but what does a hardware design guy know about software UI design? they're two different worlds.

• Reply 58 of 233
    So does Forstall going, does this mean the end of the skeuomorphic ui?
    I remember reading he was one of the biggest fans of it after SJ.
  • Reply 59 of 233
    Good riddance to Browett. That was a bad fit from the get go.
  • Reply 60 of 233
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

It's pathetic and disgusting how everyone here is so quick to throw Scott Forstall under the bus with the 'good riddance' comments, after all he's done for the Apple since the NEXT days, and where SJ obviously believed in him enough to give him so much responsibility. What an utter lack of perspective. This is sad and unexpected news, no reason to be so joyous. Also, hardware design expertise doesnt always translate to software design. Its a different world, for those championing Jony Ive for the role. Forstall is responsible for the most successful mobile platform and mobile appstore in the world, along with software features and paradigms that are now considered standard among the OS of other companies, among many other things at Apple. Give him some fucking credit. 

As for Browett, I couldn't care less, since he's had no impact or influence on the success of Apple. But its strange how he could be out so soon after he got the job. Why was he hired in the 1st place? Was due diligence not done? Was he fired because of internet comments? How much could he **** up in a few months that he would be fired?