Forstall's firing reportedly met with 'quiet jubilation' at Apple

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sounds to me like Forstall was Jobs boy, followed Steve from NeXt and followed Steve's design cues.

And that is alarming because Jobs love to work with the best. Looks like Tim doesn't.

• Reply 122 of 127
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Tim Cook is ten times any of the executives that were in charge after Jobs left.

I like Cook, but it will take a couple of years in charge for him to merit such comparisons.
  • Reply 123 of 127

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I like Cook, but it will take a couple of years in charge for him to merit such comparisons.

Why not start from his first stint as CEO?

• Reply 124 of 127
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by juandl View Post

One thing to keep in mind.  Ive might not be an engineer in any way.  But Jobs supposedly  wasn't one either.  But he did have something that made him different than most modern inventors or creator of modern tech.  He had a vision.   A while back I mentioned on another site that Microsoft needed someone new to come in and replace Balmer and all those clowns with a new visionary.  Especially with all that has changed in the phone/tablet market.

Well now that seems to apply to Apple also, (to a certain extent, that will be more evident in the next few years).    The fact that Google and Samsung have stepped up to the plate, and have seemed to many to keep step with Apple in both of those things, speaks volumes.  It has have some people at Apple paying a little to much attention.  

Remember that Cue showed Jobs the smaller tablets and mentioned how it was something they needed to consider.    Also now, you here that one of that most appealing benefit of the A TV was the mirroring of whatever your iPhone/iPad view on the TV.   But now, all of a sudden the Mirocast available on Jelly Bean can seemingly do the same thing.  

Apple was supposed to be about 3-5 years ahead of all competitors.   A lot of people doubt that now.

So now Apple is in need (or will be evident soon) of a new visionary of where they can differentiate themselves with whatever they come up now or some new things.   Perhaps they need another guy with a 'Reality Distortion Field' frame of mind.   Can that be Ive?   It may have to be.  One thing that makes him the prime candidate is that he knows how to make things 'look' different.  And more important more appealing and something that people will be willing to pay more for.  

You have to believe that Ive's team has probably got a lot of ideas they wanted to use with the Liquid Metal stuff.  Perhaps Forstall kept fighting that.

There will come a day soon when the subsidies for the iPhone will start to dry up and Apple will not make the amounts of money that they have been making.    

They should be alright by then anyway.   Surely Google will have the HTC's & Samsung's broke by then convincing them to give their hardware away for free since they do that with Software.

you make some good points here...some of which i've been pondering for about 2-3 years now.  The next big thing from Apple is What?  And I think I know where they could go that would really Shake things up, but they need to do a LOT of revolutionizing in the way the company feels about internet based services.

To me, the Cell phone industry is sadly clinging to voice/text services, when it's obvious things are going to go all digital in the future.  I think it's time that Apple starts to think about the longevity of voice/text services.  They already have broken the seal with iMessage and Facetime.  It won't be too long before (i predict) we see Apple drop Voice and text completely from the iPhone and just go all Cellular Data with all services.  Sure, that's going to piss off a lot of people in the cell industry, but so did dropping the ODD and HDD.  If anyone is going to do it', Apple will probably do it first. Sure, it will probably be something like Google Voice at first, with some limitations, but I think it's totally going to shake-up the Cellular industry for the better.

The Next thing I really wish Apple would focus on is internet services.  It's been the "Achillies Heel" of the compnay for over 10+ years and they really need to compete.  Siri, Maps, iTunes Sync, iCloud are getting better and do have great UI's, but Search is the backbone of those technologies, and they're still relying heavily on 3rd parties to help them out.  They're about 5-8 years behind all the other search giants.  If they really want to compete and keep customers using their products they need to conquer that Everest.  It HAS TO HAPPEN.  If they spent $1B of the over $100B they have in the bank, I wish it be for hiring an army to tackle the internet services and Search.

The 3rd thing I'd love to see them do is tackle Photography.  Right now, it's arguable that the iPhone camera is the best point-and-shoot camera out there.  However, If you took that camera and made it a stand-alone P&S...I think it's very likely it would not receive the same glowing reviews.  In fact, I think serious camera review sites would probably give it a "pass" or at best that it has a few really nice features but is no more than a toy.  I have a Nikon 7MP camera from 2005 that's smaller than the iPhone and has a much better image quality to the photos taken.  I'd say the only thing the iPhone camera does better is the new Panorama feature, and the simplicity of the UI.  If the iPhone Camera wasn't integrated into an iOS device, it would be pretty pathetic.

After reading that Jobs had a vision to "revolutionize" the photography industry, that made me really excited.  I'd love to see a dedicated iOS camera.  Just give me great image quality, ease of use, up-loadable instantly to iCloud or Flicker/Twitter/Facebook and I'm hooked.  I could care less about a camera that was fully integrated into my phone.  I have no problem carrying a camera and my phone.  The only way Apple is going to improve the photo quality of their current camera is A) get a MUCH BIGGER image sensor, and B)install a MUCH BIGGER Lens.  Since we've seen the iPhone & iPod Touches only getting smaller, I can only see one solution to this issue.  Make a dedicated iCamera.  I think the DSLR industry has proved that it's not for everyone, but the Compact SLR is a new industry, or at least coming back now from a 20 year hibernation.  People want DSLR quality photos from a Point and Shoot.  Problem is, there is not technology out there that replicates it well in a slim body.  If anyone can do it, Apple can.  I dream of a day that I can buy an iCamera that was as simple to use and took as great a photos as my '79 Nikon EM.  It was great, Apeture Priority only, Focus, shoot.  That's it!  No flash required, just a steady hand and a beautifully big lens.  Sorry gang, the iPhone Camera just doesn't cut it.  It's great in a pinch when the battery dies on my Nikon, or when I'm out and want to take a quick snap on the go...but Cameras should last longer than the life of a phone.  Leica as the right idea.  Make it built to last a lifetime.  I sure hope Jonny Ive is learning something from his time with Leica.

If they thought of the iPod as more than just a massive storage and playback media device and added recording of media to the device, they might just have a 2nd life for the line.  But I'm sure if there is such a thing as an iCamera in Team Ive's nest, it will be something totally new and different.

BTW, does anyone know what the camera is on Apple iMac Site?  There's a image of the iMac conneted to a massive RAID hard drives and on the left is a camera that looks like it has a Leica badge on it, but I've never seen that model before?  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Anyway, just figured I'd throw in my 2 cents on where I think Apple could go.  I still think Jobs had a few ideas that he's only shared with a select few that we haven't seen yet.  If anything, he did a really good job of preparing the company to move forward now that he's gone.  I see it the wisdom of choosing Cook as CEO more and more each month that passes.  Not sure if Jobs would've fired Forstall, but I think only Jobs could control a guy like him, or so i've read.

• Reply 125 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

Antenna-gate was made up bullshit;

I don't particularly insult people personally, so I decided not to do it.

For your information, I consider the fact that you just wrote my antenna issues with iPhone 4 were "made up bullshit" as a personal insult, as you just called me a liar, and a bad one at that.

In a world (happily) gone by, I'd have gotten the choice of weapons over that.

• Reply 126 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

And that is alarming because Jobs love to work with the best. Looks like Tim doesn't.

You'd almost think that Cook had a bone to pick with Jobs but waited until he was dead to get rid of his boy.

• Reply 127 of 127
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Forstall is apparently an "empire builder" type.  You know the kind.  They attempt to position themselves to ascend to CEO by crushing all other managers at their level.  Not by doing the best job of the bunch or by actually having great ideas.