Reviewers confirm 4th-gen iPad is merely an incremental refresh

Comments

• Reply 61 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Highest resolution? Not even close.

Come on.

OK here is something we can actually count - pixels.

Last time I checked:

2560 > 2048

1600 > 1536

It is really a simple math.

• Reply 62 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: They're not 'giving' anyone anything, they're offering it at quite a cost, especially for those who just bought the 'new' iPad only a few months ago.

I believe that constitutes "illustrating the point"...
  • Reply 63 of 132
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The Mini is in people's hands. Read the reviews.

The specs of the Nexus 10 are available - and they don't come close to the claims made by the troll I was responding to.

So now you're OK with paper specs to do comparisons? On paper they certainly do with browser and processor speeds as well as screen resolution on the Nexus10 exceeding Apple's flagship product...

and none of the paper specs proves it really has a better (or worse) overall display or performance difference. Give it a couple more weeks and you and the others can start trading barbs based on "facts and specs" from <pick your favorite supporting blog> proving one clearly better than the other for everyone and every purpose. Personally I think it's a bit silly considering how good some of these products are becoming and how little real world difference there may be for most users whether it's the OS, the ecosystem, or the hardware performance.

• Reply 64 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

They? You mean Google/Samsung. So that would be:

- Nexus 10

- Nexus 10

- Nexus 10

Right?

Not really...

The iPad has a faster UI, so it's the fastest tablet ever made.

it also does have tablet apps, great color accuracy and stuff like that (you don't know about it, obviously), so it's the best screen ever made (it actually has an use.. it wasn't made for phone apps.)

The port.. it's also the most versatile.

• Reply 65 of 132
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

These reviews are just another example of the grading on a curve that is rampant in tech "journalism". Android devices just have to show up at class and the reviewers bend over backwards to give them an A for effort: "After they fix all the hardware issues and a new version of Android is released, this will be one smokin' tablet, assuming owners are able to upgrade."

For Apple, they insist that the entire industry be revolutionized with each product release or it's, "Ho, hum, another new iPad from Apple with a processor twice as fast and a number of other hardware improvements that make everything else in the product category look like a bad joke. Too bad it's just an incremental upgrade."

So much for maintaining even a facade of integrity and credibility.

• Reply 66 of 132
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: They're not 'giving' anyone anything, they're offering it at quite a cost, especially for those who just bought the 'new' iPad only a few months ago.

Actually the cost is the same for those who bought the new iPad as it is for those who didnt.

• Reply 67 of 132
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Apple is probably moving its iPad refresh to fall, so this was a good time to do it. Good for the Christmas seasons. Seems like a lot of the Apple refreshes are moving to later in the year.

• Reply 68 of 132

Quote:

Come on.

OK here is something we can actually count - pixels.

Last time I checked:

2560 > 2048

1600 > 1536

It is really a simple math.

Unfortunately it isn't. Samsung does not make true (and the irrational troll becomes clueless) High PPI displays for their products (surprise).

is this one the first? I don't know... But if it is, you can bet that it will lose for the iPad in every other screen related duel. (not to mention phone apps on it)

• Reply 69 of 132

Quote:

They? You mean Google/Samsung. So that would be:

- Nexus 10

- Nexus 10

- Nexus 10

Right?

Right no cellular option (and only 3G on smaller models).

LOL

• Reply 70 of 132
    jck75jck75 Posts: 15member
    This also dropped the price of the 3rd generation ("refurb") by $130 .

I just picked a new/refurb (shipped directly from China, so not sure how "used" it could have been) iPad3 up for $379, which IMO is a great deal and a fantastic upgrade from the the original iPad (in my case).
  • Reply 71 of 132
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Yep. They give us the fastest tablet ever made with the best screen on a tablet and the most versatile port on a tablet… 

And all people can do is whine.

Because they have to buy camera kits etc all over again and it's not a major update. I tell folks this isn't for them cause they got the 3rd gen. It's for the folks still rocking original or even an iPad 2, same as the phone game.
  • Reply 72 of 132
    hmm wrote: »

I'm puzzled by your comment here. They're slightly editorialized, but they do mention the performance improvements, and refer to it like a refined 3. None of them make comparisons to anything other than prior ipads. What did you want them to say? I really don't read whining from any of these.

He's not talking about the reviews, he's talking about the commenter yelling about how they 'just' bought their iPad 3 and now the new one is out. whaaaaa whaaaaa, get over it I say to them. No one is forcing you to buy every release and no one promised you would have the latest and greatest for any period before something better came out.
  • Reply 73 of 132
    cash907 wrote: »

I find it interesting that AI hasn't said word one about the Nexus 10, or the Nexus 4, for that matter, nor anything about the spec and price bumped 7. I know it's a big week for Apple, but pretending like nothing has happened with the competition is strange for this site.

It is APPLEinsider and frankly some folks wish they would stop with all the talk about the competition completely. After all, the argument goes, if they wanted to know about that stuff they would go find a site about it.
  • Reply 74 of 132
    GUYR is right. Apple clearly wants to have the iPads as a Christmas product. I assume that means they believe they can mass produce them, but if you look at the Kindle Fire, Surface and other competitors, they're all refreshing well before January to hit the holidays.

They still sell computers so refreshing them can be spread out through the other 3 quarters. The big question is will they continue to have the new phones and tablets released very close to one another.

And the other big question is will they really, really, really upgrade the Mac tower. They don't sell many units of those beasts, but they have a loyal following and in some important fields (entertainment: magazines, film, tv, etc). Gotta stay hip. :)
  • Reply 75 of 132
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

I believe that the real reason that the new "4th Gen iPad" was released is because of the Lightning connector.

I believe Lightning was one of the reasons, but the other was to not make the mini leave the larger iPad appear "in any way" outdated. Reaffirming it as the king of the hill and totally new, so all consumers could see the up-sell of the device. Not that there is anything wrong with the 3rd gen (I know, I own one), but giving it an HD FaceTime cam, a Lightning connector and an even faster proc make it all the more appealing beside the other new iPad, the mini.

This is my view.

And not to mention, we're now officially on an end-of-year iPad cycle, which Apple has been trying to get on for a while, and which makes the most sense.

• Reply 76 of 132
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

The new Nexus 10 beat the iPad in all these categories-- Fast CPU, highest resolution, Modern looking OS, More RAM, and more overral features. 

are you one of those astroturf people Google pays to post this PR babble?

• Reply 77 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Let's see... Twice as fast as the 3rd generation... I suppose one could call this an incremental refresh, but it's a heck of a refresh for the same money.

No body mentions if it runs cooler, weighs less, or if the battery lasts longer... 

Battery is said to be the same, unsure if it runs cooler, or not. It weighs the same.

• Reply 78 of 132

Alright, by no means am I disappointed in the iPad Mini or the iPad, but I think this is a pretty uncharacteristic refresh for the company.

Lightning is definitely part of the reason for this refresh, but I think that the main one is to differentiate the iPad mini from the iPad, keeping the iPad as the main device. Without the refresh, the iPad Mini would be as fast as the iPad, and probably a bit quicker too, due to its lower resolution screen. I haven't played with the iPad 4 yet, but I do notice the occasional stutter on my iPad 3 that I didn't see on the 2 or the 1 - presumably due to the resolution. It sounds like the A6X in the 4 fixes this though. With the Retina MacBook Pro and the iPad 3, I'm not sure that I can go back to a regular screen.

With the iPad Mini being a (relatively) slower, smaller iPad, I feel like Apple is perpetuating this notion that what you're paying for in a device is screen size. Selfishly, what I would have preferred to see would have been the iPad mini having the Retina display and an A6X processor - even if it sold at the same price as the iPad, or maybe $100 less. I have no idea if this would have been viable from a market perspective, but this would have put the Mini as a first class device along with the iPad. Again, not disappointed, but I thought that it was a strange move. I wonder if this is just a first generation thing, so that they can have the iPad 2 - new iPad divide with the minis as well in the future.

• Reply 79 of 132
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

The new Nexus 10 beat the iPad in all these categories-- Fast CPU, highest resolution, Modern looking OS, More RAM, and more overral features. 

Really?  Do you gave benchmarks to show that the system really is faster?  Or are you just looking at the "specs"?  Android has to cram specced-higher CPUs in their devices to just equal the iOS devices performance.  Android is a piss-poor performer on a given level of hardware where iOS shines and they have to brute force it to manage.  Compare the Galaxy S3 to the iPhone 5.  iPhone 5 runs rings around the US version and in many benchmarks also the quad core international version.  Yet it is clocked lower than the US version and has half the cores of the international version.

Yes, it has more PPI.  

Modern looking OS?  No more modern looking than iOS.  And Android, Inc., who developed Android before Google took it over, was founded in 2003.  Android seems to be the older OS.

And if you look at the pure Android screen found at wikipedia under Android, showing Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on a Nexus, you think that is a modern looking OS?  It looks like a 1st grader designed it.

More RAM?  Sure, they have to put more RAM in to make their machines perform as well as iOS.  More RAM means more energy to refresh it means you need bigger batteries.

Once the Nexus 10 is shipping and we can do independent tests, we can say nothing of the performance, screen quality, etc.   Any claims now are just made by spec-whores.

-

• Reply 80 of 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss the Dog View Post

The thought crossed my mind, is Apple moving to a new annular "tick tock" product cycle with the iPad.  March/April 2013 for the new iPad/iPad Mini anyone?

No, I believe the iPad has moved to the iPod (fall) schedule.