Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 239
    jay-tjay-t Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm trying to imagine how analysts can put a negative spin on this.

They are more creative than Van Gogh and Picasso together, they'll find something image

• Reply 22 of 239
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nothing negative about 3M  iPads sold in a single weekend. If you were referring to what I posted it was only to note that Apple declining to be specific with iPad Mini sales figures is likely an indication they're weren't many available for sale, not that there wasn't any demand for them. 

That depends on what you mean by not that many iPad Minis available for sale. However many they had (could be a million, maybe 1.5, maybe 2 million), they're all practically gone. I think that they sold more iPad Minis than they did iPad 4's, since nobody was expecting the iPad 4 and it was just a refresh of the iPad 3.

Either way, selling 3 million is great news for Apple! Apple is allowed to cannibalize itself! image

• Reply 23 of 239
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Nothing negative about 3M  iPads sold in a single weekend. If you were referring to what I posted it was only to note that Apple declining to be specific with iPad Mini sales figures is likely an indication they're weren't many available for sale, not that there wasn't any demand for them. 

It's a very valid question, but it's not unusual for Apple. They don't tend to separate figures for their laptop range either, if I remember rightly.

It could be because the sales are not as expected (for whatever reason), or it could be because they don't want to tell clue in their competitors as to which model is selling the best. 

• Reply 24 of 239
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't recall that. For the iPhone and iPad it's been a single new model but I don't recall them breaking out units for the older iPhones.

Even if they are trying to hide something I would think it's the lack of sales from the iPad (4) not the iPad mini as everything points to the iPad mini being a huge success. In fact, when I was in the Apple Store (twice) this past weekend to check out the iPad mini I never once looked at the iPad (4). I had completely forgotten it was updated. Note that the iPad (4) WiFi is available in 3-5 days and the Cellular version isn't available at all.

It was the same for me, in fact all tables (ipods, macs, iphones... ) were pack except the ipad 4 ones. imo if there is something to hide its the ipad 4 sales.

• Reply 25 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member

Quote:

I don't recall that. For the iPhone and iPad it's been a single new model but I don't recall them breaking out units for the older iPhones.

Tricky wording there Soli. You're obviously avoiding agreement with me that it' would be unusual for Apple to avoid mentioning weekend sales figures for the iPad Mini specifically if they're brag-worthy.

http://bgr.com/2012/09/24/iphone-5-launch-sales-2012/

• Reply 26 of 239
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/154075/apple-announces-sales-of-ipad-mini-fourth-gen-ipad-reach-3m#post_2226983"]And the Mini is practically sold out.

But wait a sec. Some real smart geniuses clueless whiners and ignoramuses claimed that it was too expensive? :embarrass

Besides people like Donald Trump and Bill Gates, who can even afford such extravagent devices? :lol:

They haven't even released the Cellular versions yet, Imagine that.
  • Reply 27 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That depends on what you mean by not that many iPad Minis available for sale. However many they had (could be a million, maybe 1.5, maybe 2 million), they're all practically gone. I think that they sold more iPad Minis than they did iPad 4's, since nobody was expecting the iPad 4 and it was just a refresh of the iPad 3.

Either way, selling 3 million is great news for Apple! Apple is allowed to cannibalize itself! image

And this is why Microsoft is permanently on the back foot these days. They will not risk cannibalizing the Windows/Intel hegemony, so the RT Surface will be deliberately crippled to make sure that won't happen.

• Reply 28 of 239

Quote:

Tricky wording there Soli. You're obviously avoiding agreement with me that it' would be unusual for Apple to avoid mentioning weekend sales figures for the iPad Mini specifically if they're brag-worthy.

That's not quite the same. If they'd told folk which iPhone model (16GB, 32GB, 64GB and which colour option) had sold the best then I'd agree.

There's no marketing mileage in telling folk which iPad model sold the best.

• Reply 29 of 239
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Considering they only had 950k going to stores....thats a pretty safe bet. Maybe read the article?...
  • Reply 30 of 239

Not sure why people are constantly nagging on the Nexus...it's not even close as competition, Amazon should be your focus. Good thing all the 'experts' here don't actually run Apple. 

• Reply 30 of 239
    jackmohack,

the iBook reader can be used in scrolling or normal page turn mode. Scrolling is the new feature but does not have to be used. Of course almost everyone eleses book reader is also available for the iPad.
  • Reply 32 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Again, if they are hiding anything it's the iPad (4) sales. Everything... and i mean everything... points to the iPad mini being a huge success.

And no tricky wording. They had two new products within the iPad category for this weekend and that's what they commented on. There history is usually just one new product within a category so that's what they comment on.

It makes no sense for Apple to say "We sold 3 million iPad minis and 120,000 iPads" this past weekend" or "We sold just over 3 million of the new iPads with just under 3 million being the iPad mini." I bet if we had a meeting about how to announce sales you'd done what Apple did.
  • Reply 33 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Not sure why people are constantly nagging on the Nexus...it's not even close as competition, Amazon should be your focus. Good thing all the 'experts' here don't actually run Apple. 

Neither are a focus. They're both a joke. I don't see too many Amazon trolls here, so it's more fun to bash the Nexus.

Apple will have a killer Christmas, and all others will be left in the dust.

• Reply 34 of 239

Quote:

Again, if they are hiding anything it's the iPad (4) sales. Everything... and i mean everything... points to the iPad mini being a huge success.

And no tricky wording. They had two new products within the iPad category for this weekend and that's what they commented on. There history is usually just one new product within a category so that's what they comment on.

It makes no sense for Apple to say "We sold 3 million iPad minis and 120,000 iPads" this past weekend" or "We sold just over 3 million of the new iPads with just under 3 million being the iPad mini." I bet if we had a meeting about how to announce sales you'd done what Apple did.

It makes no sense for Apple to break it down exactly, so that all of the copycats can know.

Has any Android manufacturer ever in the history of the world ever reported how many they sold in an opening weekend? 

• Reply 35 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member

Quote:

I may not have mentioned iPad 4 sales at all since it was more an unusual mid-year update rather than a redesigned model in my view as well as the opinion of many others. The Mini is what has the investors and analysts attention, with questions about how much Apple's pricing choices might affect demand. There's no real questions about the iPad4 as far as I know.

• Reply 36 of 239

Lets remember folks that Apple does NOT do a breakdown of sales in each category. iPhone, Macbooks, and now iPads... they have not and will not break it down. It has nothing to do with sales at all. It's simply company operating standards.

Edit: Btw, I love the new forums... finally matching the rest of the new site :) And I also love the community here, much more practical, logical and less emotion (like a teenage girl) than other sites **cough cough macrumors & 9to5mac**

• Reply 37 of 239

There is only the Kindle Fire 7" which doesn't seem to be making many waves. Their 8.9" version doesn't come out until probably after the cellular version of the iPad mini is released. We can surely talk about the potential of the Kindle Fire but it appears to me there was more buzz about it last year and it didn't amount to much. At this point I'd think the Surface was more of a threat.
  • Reply 38 of 239
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

When Apple announces earnings, it doesn't break down individual sales of particular units. It lumps everything in a group together. Apple occasionally will announce sales for a particular product, like a new iPhone 5. This is to create excitement for the product.

Here, however, it didn't make sense for Apple to break down individual sales for the Mini because Apple released an update to the iPad 4 at the same time. With the iPhone 5 release, Apple didn't refresh the iPhone 4S for example.

Apple does not want competitors to know how many of each model it sold. Moreover, Apple doesn't want people knowing how much the mini is taking from the iPad 4 sales. It is also likely sending a message to Wall Street that Apple will not be breaking down individual sales for the iPad. Apple treated the iPod the same way. 

• Reply 39 of 239
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I may not have mentioned iPad 4 sales at all since it was more an unusual mid-year update rather than a redesigned model in my view as well as the opinion of many others. The Mini is what has the investors and analysts attention, with questions about how much Apple's pricing choices might affect demand. There's no real questions about the iPad4 as far as I know.

And because all the attention is on the iPad mini as anecdotal sales and interest that device indicate it's not smart to ignore your new product hence the iPad and iPad mini weekend sales. Absolutely none of it points to the iPad mini being a flop that needs covering up. I know several people that bought the iPad mini and many interested in it. No one I know has even mentioned selling their 10" iPad for the iPad (4).
  • Reply 40 of 239
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

Lets remember folks that Apple does NOT do a breakdown of sales in each category. iPhone, Macbooks, and now iPads... they have not and will not break it down. It has nothing to do with sales at all. It's simply company operating standards.

Exactly. Apple might sometimes announce weekend sales of a new product to create excitement, but it doesn't break down sales of products within a category. If a competitor knew how much of an individual product Apple was selling, it could put resources into attacking that product essentially allowing Apple to do research for it. 

I was in the Apple Store twice this weekend, and based on what I saw most of those sales are the new Mini with the new iPad 4 getting some sales. The iPad 4 weighs a ton compared to the Mini. I think for many people that will factor heavily into their purchasing decisions.