Apple announces 3M sales of iPad mini, fourth-gen iPad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 239
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And what other new iPhone was launched at the same time? None!

They have updated MBAs at the same time in the past. Since they have different display sizes find me where Apple broken down sales of 11" and 13" MBAs.

Ah, so you don't consider the iPad Mini to be a new product launch, really no different in a marketing sense from the full-size tablet. That might explain your odd (in my opinion) stance, tho I'd note that hasn't been your opinion up until today has it?

• Reply 122 of 239
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    charlituna wrote: »
    So what if he did. The man is dead. What he said or did or did not no longer really matters if Tim Cook disagrees and Sir J is willing to back him up.

I agree but some here are hell bent on denying that he did. It's evident that many at Apple didn't agree with him.
  • Reply 123 of 239
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    If you want to claim you didn't expect to see Apple announce launch sales for the Mini I think you're not being honest IMO. 

I expected to see launch sales of the iPad mini by themselves but that's because I completely forgot about the iPad (4) was also released this weekend in a most unusual fashion for Apple. Why discount this odd product release as being the reason for the odd announcement? Where are the weekend breakdowns for the 11" and 13" MBA sales that are updated at the same time? Why think the iPad (4) sold over 2 million while the iPad mini sold less than a million? Note the iPad (3) only sold 1.5 million opening weekend so to claim the iPad mini flopped due to no inventory means that you think the iPad (4) admits so many newly updated Apple products outsold the iPad (3) from earlier this year.
  • Reply 124 of 239
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

They're the world's biggest tech company, so course they have a lot of irons in the fire.

And I don't see anything odd about anything you've mentioned. Do you think that the iPad Mini was something they just threw together at the last minute? This thing has been in development for at least as long as the iPhone5

And the new management line up makes a lot more sense to me.

I think they are completely out of sync. For example they have six notebooks now and the new management shake up did not look well planned to say the least. All I see is chaos. As stylish as the new iMacs are, they seem impracticably thin so much so that they had to put the SD card reader on the back. They have totally left the Mac Pro out to pasture and screwed up the Maps app. They also abandoned a large portion of their users when ML would not boot with 32 bit kernel. Yep, sounds like a smooth running machine alright. I'm not criticizing anyone, it just seems to me that everything is sort of falling apart, like iOS 6 needing a new updater app because it couldn't update over the air. Everything is just a patchwork of temporary fixes and placeholders. I'm still upgrading to all the new products except the iPad 4 since I recently purchased the new iPad. I already have the iPhone 5 and the Retina MBP. I've been ready for a new Mac Pro for awhile and also over due for another iMac. Even with all the confusion, they still make the best stuff in my opinion.

• Reply 125 of 239

I don't need to be a genius or highly-paid analyst to predict that a certain percentage of the 100 million existing IPAD owners will buy IPAD mini.

Pessimistic outlook: 10 to 15% of 100 million will buy IPAD Mini for themselves or their family members

Best outlook: 30% of 100 million will buy IPAD mini in the next few months

There you go,  even without selling to non-IPAD user or first-timer, IPAD mini will easily sell 10 million or more in the next 3 months.

• Reply 126 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I agree but some here are hell bent on denying that he did. It's evident that many at Apple didn't agree with him.

... and some people on here are hell bent on putting words in SJ's mouth that he never said.

• Reply 127 of 239
    dasanman69 wrote: »

What you quoted is not what he said. You truncated his comment and then got partially pedantic about a portion of his comment to make your point. That's being dishonest. If you want to go that route you could argue that the 9.7" iPad can't have great tablet apps because it's below the minimum of 10". You should write to Ballmer so he can use that against Apple to sell the Surface.
  • Reply 128 of 239
    mstone wrote: »
    ...like iOS 6 needing a new updater app because it couldn't update over the air....

What's up with that? That was so kludgy.
  • Reply 129 of 239

... and some people on here are hell bent on putting words in SJ's mouth that he never said.

I wrote the quote out verbatim, so where did I put words into anyone's mouth?
  • Reply 130 of 239

Quote:

I wrote the quote out verbatim, so where did I put words into anyone's mouth?

Well, here for a start:

"Did SJ not say that 10" is the minimum size for tablet apps?"

• Reply 131 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post Why think the iPad (4) sold over 2 million while the iPad mini sold less than a million? 

You already know the obvious and publicized reasons why someone might think that.

• Reply 132 of 239
    To Dr. Blank,
    Some Apple fans will often write Apple is doomed in response to positive stories as sarcastic mimicry of how many press folks will always read things negatively. Examples, include silly press headlines about how iPad mini might not be doing well because lines were less than for the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 133 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suppose if you want to make something up rather than read and comment on what I actually wrote beginning with my very first post in this thread. Of course you'd have less to try and discredit my opinion with then, so I can understand why you might "feel the need" to misdirect.

translation: when google and Amazon say they are selling like hot cakes you believe it. When Apple says it is almost selling lot of a product you don't like, it must not be true.

This is why GG is on my block list... but people keep quoting him.

GG is like one of those religious fanatics that go door to door...  He has a question, answer or argument for any topic -- but no real enlightenment to offer.

He is intelligent, but his posts contribute nothing to the topic at hand... he is here to challenge and engage -- then change the subject.

Now, he is trying to hijack the thread to argue about his argument...

• Reply 134 of 239
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What you quoted is not what he said. You truncated his comment and then got partially pedantic about a portion of his comment to make your point. That's being dishonest. If you want to go that route you could argue that the 9.7" iPad can't have great tablet apps because it's below the minimum of 10". You should write to Ballmer so he can use that against Apple to sell the Surface.

OK then enlighten me, what did he say? And what do you think he meant by it?
  • Reply 135 of 239

Quote:

OK then enlighten me, what did he say? And what do you think he meant by it?

Already covered by others.

• Reply 136 of 239
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Liar liar pants on fire. If you are going to make a claim that it's an exact quote at least include the exact sentence not one you truncated.

"This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

So he thought that they couldn't go less than 10" (note that the iPad started off less than 10") and they found a way to make the device feasible without hurting the user experience much or at all. People can't have an opinion based on current info and then change their mid when new info is presented?

Scenario:

"Steve, we ran the numbers, if we use the 163 PPI displays in the iPhone and keep the 1024x768 display we can have a reasonably good 7.85" tablet. It's not great like he full-sized iPad in usability as the elements are smaller, but they are about halfway between the iPhone and iPad elements and the new size and weight will come with their own benefits making it a very good tablet for its size, especially when compared to those 7" 16:9 tablets."

"Let's develop this but hold off until we can saturate the current tablet market or we start to see cheaper tablets rise up to a point where good tablet apps are better than nothing in that small tablet market."

Let's recap what else he stated...

"If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on the seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad display. This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion."

That's for a 7" 16:9 tablet whilst the iPad mini is an 8" 4:3 tablet. That means it has a display area about 40% larger than the tablets he was comparing to. Did Apple make a 7" 16:9 tablet? Do you think Apple will make a 7" 16:9 tablet? If they do you can say Jobs was wrong.

Then he went on to say...

"These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA, dead on arrival"

Which one of the 7" tablets shipping at the time were successful? If you said anything other than none of them you're wrong.

The important part of Steve's statement has been highlighted above.

• Reply 137 of 239
    Well, here for a start:

"Did SJ not say that 10" is the minimum size for tablet apps?"

Not in those exact words.
  • Reply 138 of 239
    paxman wrote: »
    The important part of Steve's statement has been highlighted above.

They obviously aren't or we wouldn't have a iPad mini.
  • Reply 139 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is why GG is on my block list... but people keep quoting him.

GG is like one of those religious fanatics that go door to door...  He has a question, answer or argument for any topic -- but no real enlightenment to offer.

He is intelligent, but his posts contribute nothing to the topic at hand... he is here to challenge and engage -- then change the subject.

Now, he is trying to hijack the thread to argue about his argument...

If I'm on your block list Dick, then how would you know that I never have any "real enlightenment" to offer?image

• Reply 140 of 239
    Already covered by others.

Yeah me.