Apple releases redesigned iTunes 11 with iCloud integration for Mac, Windows

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111

Dammit, no more cover flow.  

• Reply 42 of 111

iTunes 11 definitely feels very fast on my Mac (although it was always pretty good). That 64 bit speed is shining through. Any comments on how it runs on Windows? I'm wondering if the Windows bloatware version is finally put to rest.

• Reply 43 of 111
    Just curious from those who have installed it....
    I see all of these pictures above, but nothing showing the view where it has a column browser. Did they make everything graphical now, or is there the traditional view anywhere?

Gosh, I hope it's not gone. They've made one helluva mess since Steve (GRHS) passed away. Safari's "Integrated Search Bar" where if I type just 'apple', it searches for apple instead of auto-completing to apple.com. iOS Maps. Opening Pages/Preview/TextEdit takes me to a muddled dialog box making me choose between iCloud and On My Mac before I can start with a new document. I really thought Steve had been more involved in creating a clear pipeline and direction before he passed, but one thing after another leave me questioning whether Apple has any leadership capable of making decisions by clear executive oversight instead of committees and subcommittees.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Huh. Not going to be an early adopter of this one ... Check back in a week or two and if all goes well with others ...

This is not mobile app, you can always uninstall
  • Reply 45 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

Just curious from those who have installed it....

I see all of these pictures above, but nothing showing the view where it has a column browser. Did they make everything graphical now, or is there the traditional view anywhere?

Gosh, I hope it's not gone. They've made one helluva mess since Steve (GRHS) passed away. Safari's "Integrated Search Bar" where if I type just 'apple', it searches for apple instead of auto-completing to apple.com. iOS Maps. Opening Pages/Preview/TextEdit takes me to a muddled dialog box making me choose between iCloud and On My Mac before I can start with a new document. I really thought Steve had been more involved in creating a clear pipeline and direction before he passed, but one thing after another leave me questioning whether Apple has any leadership capable of making decisions by clear executive oversight instead of committees and subcommittees.

You can click on songs and it will list your columns.  I assume that's what you mean.  

• Reply 46 of 111
    Just install it my 2006 MB. It loads and runs substantially faster than Itunes 10. I'm happy so far. only time will tell.
  • Reply 47 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1) I can't find how to make album artwork bigger. I enjoyed large album artwork before.

Click on the small artwork icon in the play bar at the top centre? This brings up a re-sizeable window with the artwork and play controls. Is that what you meant or have I misunderstood?

• Reply 48 of 111

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

This is not mobile app, you can always uninstall

How? iTunes is required by OS X. And good luck reverting it.

• Reply 49 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Of course not.

Sure, I didn't expect it but without that support for even storing the content (even if it had to open in a different app the way PDFs open in Preview) I just won't use iTunes as my media hub. Instead I use the Finder and play everything via QT with the Perian plugin.
    That's asking a little much, though. You could have a short film anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes, and that's certainly not a TV show. And you can have a TV show (special) two hours long.

I don't think so. If a video is under 10 minutes it could assume it's a music video. If it's under 1.5 hours it could assume it's a TV Show. Even a 2 hour long TV show will only be about 1h:20m with commercials removed. This could be an optional setting you could turn on that would have some semi-intelligent way or automatically placing videos in the right place.
  • Reply 50 of 111

Originally Posted by silversquonk View Post

Click on the small artwork icon in the play bar at the top centre? This brings up a re-sizeable window with the artwork and play controls. Is that what you meant or have I misunderstood?

That is so weird. Why do they do that? They do it for music! What is that supposed to b—I'm getting off track.

No, I mean in the iTunes window itself, you used to be able to resize the artwork of music, movies, TV shows, etc. I can't find how to do that anymore. But thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

…I just won't use iTunes as my media hub. Instead I use the Finder and play everything via QT with the Perian plugin.

What happens when Perian finally stops working for you? AVIs already don't play for me; I only keep Perian around if I ever have an FLV to play (because the Flash Projector won't even play FLVs).

HandBrake's a-callin'…

I don't think so. If a video is under 10 minutes it could assume it's a music video. If it's under 1.5 hours it could assume it's a TV Show. Even a 2 hour long TV show will only be about 1h:20m with commercials removed.

Ah, old TV, screwing with my numbers. You're right about that.

• Reply 51 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

You can click on songs and it will list your columns.  I assume that's what you mean.  

Cool. Just to be clear about what I mean. My current setup has a column to the left with Music, Store, Playlists, etc. with album artwork underneath. Then I have panes in the main part of the window where I have Column Browser's Artists and Albums on top, and a list of songs below. Can I arrange it pretty similarly?

• Reply 52 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, I mean in the iTunes window itself, you used to be able to resize the artwork of music, movies, TV shows, etc. I can't find how to do that anymore. But thanks for the help!

Sorry - hadn't realised that player window was there in previous versions - just shows how you stop exploring once you're used to something!

• Reply 53 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What happens when Perian finally stops working for you? AVIs already don't play for me; I only keep Perian around if I ever have an FLV to play (because the Flash Projector won't even play FLVs).

HandBrake's a-callin'…

I use Handbrake if needed but I prefer not to spend time converting.

Let me restate position here. I'm not asking for iTunes to understand how to play the codecs (even if QTX can). It would be nice, but all I really want is to use iTunes as a repository for all my digital media which would also me to choose the app that will play my content. Unfortunately the lack of support for different containers (not that I don't mention codecs) and the wonky player controls in iTunes it's just not a place I will store my videos unless using it to shuffle to and from an iDevice.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Seems really confusing to me so far in terms of showing what's in the cloud, what's not etc. I think a lot of users will have trouble with this release.

When I log into my account for instance my "purchased" list shows nothing (!) but clicking on my local library shows everything that's been purchased since it's actually showing a blended view of local and cloud based stuff.

When I click "videos" again it shows none of my cloud purchases, but shows a blended view of what's locally on my computer and the videos that happen to be loaded on my iPad which is connected to the computer. These videos (the ones on the iPad) are presented with an iCloud icon supposedly indicating they are in the cloud, when in fact they are not, they are just on my iPad.

Waaay confusing so far.

Actually your post is pretty damned confusing... Not sure at what point you're talking about your desktop/laptop library or your iPad library, or both, or neither, or the cloud?

• Reply 55 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

So here are some of your questions answered.

1. For those wanting no iCloud, go to View -> Hide ___ in the Cloud

- It can be on/off for each category (music, movies, etc.)

2. It is not "confusing" know what it's in the cloud or not... there's an image of a CLOUD. If you have any content that is partially downloaded (1 song of 12) on your computer, it'll show up as local but when you open the cd it'll show the local content in brighter text than iCloud content (dulled out).

3. The app is not "blurry", don't be ridiculous. Unless you have retina(can't vouch), you're messing w/ yourself.

4. For playlists... again, click View -> Show Sidebar

Seriously people, I've spent 60 seconds w/ this new iTunes and figured out all of your "problems"... jeeze, how about you LOOK for some things.

Edit: this iTunes is showing up at 64bit in Activity Monitor :)

Thanks for the tip 4!

I am using on 15 Retina - and as for this blurry complaint i read about sometimes..... sometimes i look at a regular screen and I think it looks sharper, its nice when you can see the pixels since they help delineate the image!! /s

• Reply 56 of 111
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Anyone else notice how the sidebar (when turned on) brings color back? Hope they bring back Finder sidebar colors in the next OSX update. It still takes me longer than it should to recognize stuff. 

• Reply 57 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Should I wait until 11.0.1?

no

• Reply 58 of 111
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I use Handbrake if needed but I prefer not to spend time converting.
    Let me restate position here. I'm not asking for iTunes to understand how to play the codecs (even if QTX can). It would be nice, but all I really want is to use iTunes as a repository for all my digital media which would also me to choose the app that will play my content. Unfortunately the lack of support for different containers (not that I don't mention codecs) and the wonky player controls in iTunes it's just not a place I will store my videos unless using it to shuffle to and from an iDevice.

Then just use VLC 2.x.
  • Reply 59 of 111

Is anyone else having trouble accessing their purchased movies and tv shows?

I'm getting the following error:

"You do not have any purchased movies available to download"

"You do not have any purchased TV shows available to download"

Thanks in advance.

• Reply 60 of 111
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeberhar View Post

Is this finally a 64-bit binary?

My iTunes 10 was already 64-bit, but yeah, this is 64-bit as well.