Apple releases redesigned iTunes 11 with iCloud integration for Mac, Windows

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111

Originally Posted by theDuderino View Post

Wow, mind blown.

Same with… QuickTime (given), Mail, App Store, Calendar, Contacts, Font Book, Dictionary, Calculator, Automator, Image Capture, Preview, TextEdit, Time Machine, and System Preferences.

All of those have unquestionably valid reasons, of course. Interestingly, Chess, Game Center, Notes, Reminders, Stickies, Photo Booth, and DVD player fall under this requirement, too. And that's where the* argument is.

*I say argument as though it's valid or something; they're, like, 85 megabytes combined and people still whine that they take up space.

• Reply 102 of 111
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    NOT HAPPY! Coverflow? Am I missing something? Interface is confusing - something completely not Apple.
  • Reply 103 of 111

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Coverflow? Am I missing something?

People haven't been using Cover Flow. It should never have entered Finder, of all places, and it was a foolish thing to put in desktop iTunes, too.

Interface is confusing - something completely not Apple.

It's the same interface.

• Reply 104 of 111
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Took a bit to understand the new interface but it"s simply fantastic!

Does anyone know how to merge 2 libraries?

• Reply 105 of 111
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I think this new interface is totally non-intuitive ugly. Why does Apple keep making things worse? I think neophyte users will not intuitively understand how to use this. There are lot of things in the new interface that don't make sense to me.

The Grid view of a Playlist doesn't show track data. The "Artist List" isn't bad. But if you click "Add To", you get the library view on the left and the Playlist on the right. Seems to me you should be able to multiselect library items and move them to the Playlist in one shot. But you have to drag and drop each one. With all the options in the right-click, you'd think there'd be an option to move to the playlist. But nooooooo.

The old default view, with playlists on the left, was far more intuitive, since you always have to move tracks from the library to the playlist (which also, IMO, is problematic for neophyte users. Shouldn't newly added tracks automatically go to a default playlist? I've helped out elderly neighbors with iTunes and they never understood this library/playlist concept.)

Why is it showing an active button to eject my iPhone when my iPhone isn't plugged in?

When you're in the Store, the Library button on the top right is not obvious. So it's not immediately apparent how to get back to the Library.

When you have albums displaying and select one, you get a view that shows the album jacket and the tracks, but some brilliant Apple designer decided it would be a good idea to take a major color from the album jacket and make it the background, but they seem to be also overlaying that same color over the album jacket, thereby destroying the original color of the album jacket. Did Microsoft design this?

Other than that, it all sort of works, but it's incredibly boring and uninspiring. It's plain and ugly. You don't look at this and think, "Wow! Apple is so great and designing great looking intuitive apps." It looks like we're returning to the look of ugly enterprise applications that display database information in grids.

• Reply 106 of 111
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    My fifteen year old daughter, who uses iTunes [I]a lot[/I], was initially rather ticked off by the most obvious changes from 10 to 11, but after about 10 minutes of her using it I haven't heard a squawk since: she updated to 11 when it first appeared in the Software Updates on her MacBook. Mind you, I did pass on the advice from the AI forum threads about using the "View" menu to get some of the old interface back at the start of those 10 minutes.

She actually happily showed me the album view when I asked how 11 was going: she saw this as a good thing. So at least one more person likes it. (I have to confess that I've still kept to my original decision and not updated from 10 to 11, even though I have recent Time Machine backup - the general squawking and clucking has so far outweighed the thumbs up, to my mind.)
  • Reply 107 of 111
    The design of this iTunes 11 makes it blindingly obvious that the touchscreen Mac is coming sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 108 of 111

They removed the ability to "show duplicates". Why?

• Reply 109 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    g-burgh wrote: »
    They removed the ability to "show duplicates". Why?

Huh! Nice catch. That seems like an odd omission.
  • Reply 110 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tonton wrote: »
    The design of this iTunes 11 makes it blindingly obvious that the touchscreen Mac is coming sooner rather than later.

I don't see that because there are so many elements that are not touch friendly. For MS this would be a good touch interface but not for Apple.
  • Reply 111 of 111

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see that because there are so many elements that are not touch friendly. For MS this would be a good touch interface but not for Apple.

Just like iBooks Author and many other OS X applications, it's halfway there.

There are plenty of times that I feel I want to touch the screen. There are an equal number of times that I'm glad I have a mouse cursor.

Apple is coaxing us over to multitouch. Said it before, say it again: they can't just jump to a revolution like they did in '84. Too many people have computers these days.